Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

How much does utilization really affect Credit Scores?

This message is 749 days old.  We'd prefer it if you'd start a new topic instead of replying to this one.

Long story short.

I have been working on cleaning up my credit for more than a year. I have been fortunate to obtain about 6 or 7 new credit cards, NFCU (2), Cap One (2), Hooters and other store cards. Last month, I added a mortgage to the fold.

No lates on anything. Olld collections have been paid (more than a year ago) -- 2 outstanding, but are due to drop off early next year.

Things are progressing, but my credit scores are SOOOO low. EX: 590 EQ: 610 TU: 618 . I will admit that my utilization is high. I am doing a debt snowball method to pay it down... but I'm just getting so impatient. I'm hoping to see an improvement in my scores within 6 months. Is it possible?

In addition, I have about 40 inquiries and I'm not planning on applying for any credit cards in 2009.

Can anyone offer any guidance and/or support? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

35%

+1

.35(850-350) = 165 Maximum points available for "ideal" utilization (under 10% total, spread across very few cards? -- nobody knows for certain)

If one assumed a linear relationship between best (165) and worst (0) possible scores, then each 10% reduction would be worth ~17 points. Anecdotal evidence, though, would suggest that there are certain important thresholds below which the score bump is well beyond what would be expected using a straight linear relationship (under 50%, under 35%, under 20%, under 10% -- again, nobody REALLY knows.

When my utilization went from 90% to under 20%, my FICO went up 65 points. YMMV

OP, you'll get there :) .........

High utilization is a KILLER, but as you paydown your balances, things will improve.

40 Inquiries???? Tooooooooo many. I agree with your moratorium for 2009.

Cycle your new cards occasionally but ALWAYS pay them in full. Otherwise, you should be operating on a cash basis without adding even $1 to your balances.

Best of Luck!!!!!!!

Jack, yes the majority are hard pulls.

Thanks all for the breakdowns and encouragement. I look forward to providing you all with positive updates!

Just remember, these are the top 2 FICO factors..

1. Paying on time

2. Paying down revolving balances.

Those can affect your score more than a CA, in my experience.

Took me forever to realize that.

Don't get discouraged EVER!!!! I started with over $100k in debt when I started my debt snowball program and the spreadsheet said it would take 2 years and 6 months to pay everything off. When I started I thought no way would I ever accomplish this and I too was discouraged. So I planned a trip to Bhutan, Nepal and Tibet that I would take the month I was scheduled to pay off all my debt. When I started it was I will go on my trip in 2 years, last year it was next year I will go on my trip, well now that it is 2009 I am going in 12 months! Looking back I can't believe I made it through those 2 years. Now I am biting at the bit to get things paid off. I started working for a new company and I get a small bonus next month which I am going to sign directly over to Visa. All of my credit cards should be paid off by April which is just a few months away and then the bank of mom gets 82% of my take home pay until the end of the year when she will be paid off. So don't get discouraged!

My biggest jumps in credit scores happened when I get below 50% utilization on across the board on all of my cards. I had one card with $25k BT at 3.9% for life so that card was always at max utilization but today it is down to the magical 10% utilization and now all 3 of my scores are over 700. I am waiting to see if they increase more in a few months when I have everything paid off.

Good luck on getting everything paid off and stick to your goal. Try setting a present for yourself when you accomplish your goal which makes it a little more bearable.

This message is 749 days old.  We'd prefer it if you'd start a new topic instead of replying to this one.