Sign in to follow this  
lakersgo

So I was told that USPS can change my address without my permission

I'll throw in my 2 cents - my address was changed because someone else in my household with the same last name moved and did a change of address (their name ONLY). For some reason, it started to be applied to MY mail, and believe me, it's on my credit report now as one of my addresses. Most of my creditors changed the addresses too - I guess based on the address change notification from the USPS (per their request to be notified of forwarded mail).

The dumb part is, I had to mail in signed, written requests to fix it - even though my banks, creditors, etc. had no problem taking USPS' (mistaken) word for it that I moved....

Just to be sure, did your family member check the box INDIVIDUAL?

I know you said "their name ONLY." But if they checked INDIVIDUAL or FAMILY, it makes a difference. FAMILY means EVERYBODY with the same last name in the same household.

Please be certain if the change of address was marked INDIVIDUAL or FAMILY.

I realize this is an old thread, but am currently going through a similar situation and so far have found no recourse. My name and my fathers name are the same other than my suffix is the 2nd. I am currently fighting with the post office sending letters to my bank requiring the bank to change my accounts to my fathers name and address. The bank states this is done as a require by law. The post office sates that are not doing this. We go to the bank and have our address changed back to where we live only to have it changed again to my folks name and address. I am currently trying to get copies from the bank regarding the letters the post office has sent to the bank on the account change. This has been going for three years now. My parents live in another town and bank at a different bank altogether. My father has tried to get this fixed with the post office as well. I have my drivers license returned to the state, a truck title missing, and a debit card floating around in limbo due to this issue. I now have had to have a new debit card sent to the bank to be picked up by myself and my drivers license had to be remailed, 30 days later, to me, but only after going to the post office and telling them not to send it back to the state as "undeliverable" again. The only explanation I have got from the post office is they supposedly do not look at the suffix of the name. So I said if a unrelated person with the same basic first and last name bought my house, their mail could be sent to me because the name is the same. The post office said yes. I said your system is broken then. How many people around the country have the same name?

I've had issues where mail sent to me by a business, like a credit card company, for some reason or another gets returned to the sender even though the address was right.  Reasons for this is usually the mailman made a mistake, put my mail in the wrong box, and then whoever got my mail remails it and it gets sent back.

Now the credit card company, or business, thinks I moved without informing them, so they note that on their records and don't send me anymore mail until I contact them.  They may change the address to the company itself, which in effect, changes my zip code with them.

I end up calling the business saying I did not move!  They finally believe me and reset things, until this happens again.

Edited by Burgerwars

I signed up for USPS mail delivery notifications which I like because I can monitor my mail. 

As crazy as it sounds, apparently if, one was to allow a guest to stay at your residence short term and they never leave, if, they go online and transfer all their mail to go to your address, you will be hard pressed to legally make them leave if push comes to shove. 

Ragman ... It sounds to me like you need to be talking to someone far higher up the food chain at the bank.  Someone should be able to grasp what you're talking about and commit to getting back to you with a solid explanation within 24 hours (following with hard copy documentation).

Don't hang up until you get that type of commitment from someone ...

Now, speculating a bit, it's not that often that the post office communicates with a mail sender and tells them that a mail piece should be sent elsewhere.  And, frankly, the only time that might happen (that comes to mind) involves a "change of address" order.

Nonetheless, set that aside for now.   Wait on doing anything until you have something solid from the bank.

2019:   I believe USPS will update your address under certain conditions even if you have not put in a COA.

My USPS online account had my extended vacation spot as my address, even though I never did a COA.

I don't know what triggered them, but all of a sudden, companies I did business with said the USPS had notified them of a COA. I looked on-line and it was changed. I still need to confirm the triggering mechanism, but to speak to an operator takes 30 minutes wait, and USPS doesn't have call back. Probably some monitoring program USPS does, and the trigger was I was too long at this vacation spot ( due to requiring treatments from being rear-ended by a drunk driver). SO I do believe the USPS will trigger a COA , but I can't confirm unless I want to wait on the phone. And I don't. They are going to do what they are going to do.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2009 at 5:34 AM, rastoma said:

the long answer:

The only way the address would have been changed is if in the past you had submitted a change of address card to the post office. When a COA is submitted and a company mails you something to the original address, if they have on the envelope 'ADDRESS SERVICE REQUESTED' (or something similar) then during the forwarding process that piece of mail will get sent to the original sender before getting forwarding to the customer so that the company's records can be updated first.

The COA has to be signed by the customer or can be done online but the person has to provide a credit card in their name and will charged $1 to verify identity. The post office can manually enter a COA but it's time consuming and someone would get fired if they did it malicously and there's no way to cover their tracks if they did it so that would never happen.....

the short answer is:

the USPS did not change your address on their own. Either someone submitted a COA and signed your name or did it online.

I had stupidly placed a COA at the post office when I moved to my current home about 16 years ago using my new street address.

What I failed to realize is that the physical address of the home I moved to, a single family home, did not get mail. So the mail was returned as address unknown.

The result was several collection accounts from utilities that I hadn't paid (since I didn't get bills for) amounts owed.

At the time I'd stopped using credit cards and had no loans so I had no idea this was happening. After a month or so I thought it odd I was getting no mail and that's how I found out they don't deliver mail here. So I trotted down to the post office and they 'splained it to me.  On the  positive side, the post office did provide free POBs for folks that live here because they don't deliver mail.  But I assumed, incorrectly, they would somehow forward mail to the POB from the address I had given them. Silly me.

It really messed up my credit but since I didn't use credit cards or need loans I never noticed until I had trouble renting cars and hotel rooms with a debit card and tried to get a credit card.

That's when I first pulled my credit reports and found out my profile was that of either a homeless person or a complete deadbeat.

After initial confusion, Creditboards was the principal site where I learned how all this crap worked.