Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Threw temper tantrum in Walmart Yesterday.

The last post in this topic was posted 4138 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Went to Walmart yesterday. I don't like to shop there anymore, but I wanted the $4 keflex prescription for DD and my mom needed new towels (f$#&INY dog with intestinal distree-long story).

Go straight to the pharmacy. I'm told it will be 25 minutes at the most. So I go and get everything that my mom wanted: towels, underwear, etc.

It took almost 1 1/2 hours to get the prescription. THEN I asked if I could pay for my stuff at the pharmacy. Was told my doofus that I had too much (I didn't think so) so I had to go wait in line at the front of the store. There were 2 lanes open. Did I mention this is a Super Walmart? :P

So DD gets a piece of candy, I swipe mom's card (I do her shopping for her). The charge goes through, THEN the cashier asks to see the card and my ID. I tell her that I have MY ID, but that it was mom's card and I don't have her ID.

You would have thought that I was trying to defraud Walmart for towels and underwear.

She goes to ask manager, manager supposedly says no. I tell her that I don't have ANY problems using her card at other places. I signed MY name, not my mom's. If her bank doesn't have a problem with it, and my mom doesn't have a problem with it, and Walmart gets paid, who gives a isht?

So I give the cashier back the 1/2 eaten piece of candy and tell to have her manager shove it up their $$$ and then I take the bags back out of the cart, sit them on the turntable and tell her to have the manager do the same with those.

I walk away. I stop at the head cashier's desk and tell her that I want to talk to the manager. She informs me that the manager is at lunch. I went off on a tirade about how it must be nice to have lunch seeing how we were stuck back at the pharmacy for almost 1 1/2 hours. I was cussing up a storm and very loud. She *tries* to get another manager on the phone. She informs me that he too is at lunch. Whatever. :angry:

I told the head cashier how convenient it was that they were BOTH at lunch and how my child would like to have lunch but hasn't been able to because the pharmacy too sooooooooooo long. I informed her that I didn't give a 22it if they were at lunch, I wanted to talk to them NOW.

So the cashier who originally rang me up, walks up behind me and puts the bags back in the cart, hands my daughter her candy back, and lays the receipt on top of my purse. She informs me that her manager said that I could go ahead and take the stuff.

All that cussing and tantrum business for nothing. :sorry:

Oh did I mention that my daughter's Keflex didn't qualify for the $4 price because it was the suspension. So adult keflex is $4, but children's keflex is $22. Mkay........

1-800-VISA-911

Press 0 twice and ask to file an incident report.

That cashier needs to shape up.

Edited by jw1980

Walmart was CORRECT so when ya refuse to shop there, ya make the lines shorter for folks like me :blink:

the name on the front of the card didnt match the name signed on the back.... you made an flowers of yourself and is mad at Walmart because they wouldnt allow you to continue a suspicious transaction??

A smart cookie wouldve been added as an AU on the credit account by now to avoid situations like this and more....

1-800-VISA-911

the cashier was correct... the name signed on the front didnt match the name typed on the back... if they did match, then the cashier shouldve did the compare siggy thing without asking for ID.... the OP doesnt have a leg to stand on

1-800-VISA-911

the cashier was correct... the name signed on the front didnt match the name typed on the back... if they did match, then the cashier shouldve did the compare siggy thing without asking for ID.... the OP doesnt have a leg to stand on

If you look at the way the post was written, the cashier requierd the ID at the same time she asked for the card. Had it occurred after a signature comparison failed, then Walmart would be in the clear. At the time the ID was asked for, the cashier had no basis to require it, and therefore, committed a violation.

According to the posted chain of events, the OP would have still been asked for ID had it been her card, which is why this situation requires corrective action.

Walmart is a notorious violator.

1-800-VISA-911

If you look at the way the post was written, the cashier requierd the ID at the same time she asked for the card. Had it occurred after a signature comparison failed, then Walmart would be in the clear. At the time the ID was asked for, the cashier had no basis to require it, and therefore, committed a violation.

According to the posted chain of events, the OP would have still been asked for ID had it been her card, which is why this situation requires corrective action.

Walmart is a notorious violator.

I agree that the order of events is suspect... however, the problem is, the OP isnt an authorized user and thus doesnt have a leg to stand on.... the OP wasnt in legal possession in the card, thus calling the Visa Cops and having a temper tantrum are both moot points and a waste of everyone's time....

USE YOUR OWN CREDIT CARD

You need to buy stuff for relatives...they can get an "AU" card with your name

I can even get you a card that charges my account (IF I WANTED TO)

It takes about 7-10 days to get the credit card(s)

I agree that the order of events is suspect... however, the problem is, the OP isnt an authorized user and thus doesnt have a leg to stand on.... the OP wasnt in legal possession in the card, thus calling the Visa Cops and having a temper tantrum are both moot points and a waste of everyone's time....

The OP was in legal possession of the card and was authorized to use it, and therefore, not doing anything wrong. While this isn't the best of circumstances to file a report, the reflex reaction of the cashier can be reported truthfully. The OP should have no problem telling Visa that it appears that Walmart was requiring ID of all card users by asking for the ID at the same time that the card was asked for.

The important thing is that Visa identifies this Walmart as a hot spot of noncompliance, and sends the manager the appropriate letter explaining the policy that protects card holders.

The OP was in legal possession of the card and was authorized to use it, and therefore, not doing anything wrong. While this isn't the best of circumstances to file a report, the reflex reaction of the cashier can be reported truthfully. The OP should have no problem telling Visa that it appears that Walmart was requiring ID of all card users by asking for the ID at the same time that the card was asked for.

The important thing is that Visa identifies this Walmart as a hot spot of noncompliance, and sends the manager the appropriate letter explaining the policy that protects card holders.

I disagree

the OP is NOT an AU.... and violated the card agreement by signing her OWN name to the back of the card instead of the cards owner.... it is ILLEGAL as far as I know to use a card in the manner the OP did... thats why the AU is an option...

Just because some 1 gives you their CC, doesnt mean you are in legal possession of it..... The card agreements are there to protect the responsible party.... pretty simple to not violate them ( get AU status) and then catch places like Walmart by the balls

also, going by what the OP typed, Im not convinced Walmart was wrong which is why i agreed its merely suspect

I swipe mom's card (I do her shopping for her). The charge goes through, THEN the cashier asks to see the card and my ID. I tell her that I have MY ID, but that it was mom's card and I don't have her ID.

Walmart is wrong plenty of times.... this isnt one of them in my view....

Walmart was CORRECT so when ya refuse to shop there, ya make the lines shorter for folks like me :angry:

the name on the front of the card didnt match the name signed on the back.... you made an flowers of yourself and is mad at Walmart because they wouldnt allow you to continue a suspicious transaction??

A smart cookie wouldve been added as an AU on the credit account by now to avoid situations like this and more....

Tee, I'm not sure why you always go out of your way to try to make me look bad. It is kind of sad...... In the past you have called me a troll. Racist. A liar. Now you call me an flowers. Go clean up your OWN back yard sweetie. :lol:

I didn't make an flowers out of myself. If I have the permission of the cardholder to use the card, there shouldn't be a problem. I've been doing stuff like this since I was a kid. My dad used to hand me his bankcard to go shopping when I was a teenager. He would give it to me to pay for my college tuition. My parents would give me their card when they went out of town for emergency purposes.

I don't want to be an authorized user on my mom's bankcard. I shouldn't have to be to pick up special items for her.

Let's say that I'm at the pharmacy picking up her Pain Patches (HIGHLY controlled substance) and I use MY bankcard to pay for it. IMHO, that is more suspect than using hers.

I guess where I live, my family has a personal banking relationship and business relationships and isn't subject to the anal crap.

I disagree

the OP is NOT an AU.... and violated the card agreement by signing her OWN name to the back of the card instead of the cards owner.... it is ILLEGAL as far as I know to use a card in the manner the OP did... thats why the AU is an option...

Just because some 1 gives you their CC, doesnt mean you are in legal possession of it..... The card agreements are there to protect the responsible party.... pretty simple to not violate them ( get AU status) and then catch places like Walmart by the balls

also, going by what the OP typed, Im not convinced Walmart was wrong which is why i agreed its merely suspect

I swipe mom's card (I do her shopping for her). The charge goes through, THEN the cashier asks to see the card and my ID. I tell her that I have MY ID, but that it was mom's card and I don't have her ID.

Walmart is wrong plenty of times.... this isnt one of them in my view....

I did NOT sign MY name to the back of my mom's card. My MOM signed her card. When I use her card, I sign MY name. I do not forge anyone's signature...................

I did NOT sign MY name to the back of my mom's card. My MOM signed her card. When I use her card, I sign MY name. I do not forge anyone's signature...................

but you do use a card that's not yours....whether you have your mother's permission or not isn't really at issue here...

what if I were to take your credit card to WalMart withOUT your permission and they let me sign pryan67 on the receipt instead of your signature?

I'm not a fan of walmart...they tend to destroy small towns when they come in....

but in this case...other than asking for ID prior to seeing the signatures not matching....they did the right thing (up until they gave you the merchandise IMO....they shouldn't have done that, since it wasn't your card, and they had no way of knowing that your mother allows you to use her card)

I'm with Tee on this one. Yes, it was 'wrong' to ask for ID, but two wrongs does not make it right and the OP was wrong for using someone else's card... even with verbal permission. I find it interesting and telling that someone who is so bent on defending *the rules* is also so willing to overlook what is technically the fraudulent use of the credit card to begin with.

Can someone please point us to the page in the merchant manual where it says cards can be given to others to use like this?

Oh, and yes, it was a temper tantrum, indeed.

Just confirming, this is a credit card, not a debit card...correct?

Either which way, the store could have confirmed it with your mother, or had the CC company do it.

I don't know that I'd report anything other than the violation for requesting the ID with the card but...

...you did get what you went for didn't you. In that light, the tantrum worked.

:D

Either which way, the store could have confirmed it with your mother, or had the CC company do it.

It is a visa check card.

So I suppose that my old college, the local mall, and now the pharmacy, and a few other stores are my accessory to fraud? That's just silly.

USE YOUR OWN CARD(s) or CASH or WRITE A CHECK

You don't get to sign for the charge EXCEPT when you are on the account (AND YOUR NAME IS ON THE CARD)

It is a visa check card.

So I suppose that my old college, the local mall, and now the pharmacy, and a few other stores are my accessory to fraud? That's just silly.

technically they are but its nothing that I havent done before when my son uses my card for me. Tee is correct though and you even admitted acting like an flowers at the store but then thats easy to do at that store.

I disagree

Whether it is against the cardholder agreement or not would depend on the specific card. I have seen agreements prohibiting this practice, and others that are specifically silent on it, but require the cardholder to be responsible for all authorized charges.

Either way, it isn't illegal. It may be against the cardholder agreement, but it is not against the law.

The course of action taken by Walmart shows a premeditated intent to violate.

Other's lack of vigilance doesn't change the fact that technically it's still not allowed.

If it's a check card, could you have used the PIN? With a PIN you don't need a signature or ID. (Not that I'm encouraging... just sayin')

Tee, I'm not sure why you always go out of your way to try to make me look bad. It is kind of sad...... In the past you have called me a troll. Racist. A liar. Now you call me an flowers. Go clean up your OWN back yard sweetie. :D

ya missed the point and making you look bad wasnt my intention

Have a Happy one....

The cashier and managers were in the right.

The signature must match the name on the card - and they ARE supposed be asking for a photo ID when any card doesn't have a photo ON it -

Just another step in the general direction of protection for the card holder, ya'll have heard of identity theft..ya?

Cathie

The signature must match the name on the card - and they ARE supposed be asking for a photo ID when any card doesn't have a photo ON it -

Cathie

the second part of your statement is patently false

Just another step in the general direction of protection for the card holder, ya'll have heard of identity theft..ya?

Cathie

Incorrect.

It is a visa check card.

Are you a frequent and regular shopper there? I ask because Ive been shopping at the same Walmart for 14 years and when the computer tells the cashier to compare signatures on the card, they never do. They all know me there and I think that makes a difference. :D When the machine tells them to compare sigs they just roll their eyes at it and go on with the transaction. Im not saying that is the right thing to do, but it does speak to them treating me like someone they've known for 14 years and not someone out to commit fraud. Though I do understand why the rules are in place

Edited by butterflywings

Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Lindiet
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines