Sign in to follow this  
dawniedawn67

Now that son has been in school for 2 mos

My son began school at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh in October of this year. On Student Orientation day he met with a Financial Aid advisor and was given papers to sign, saying they were for his student loan.

Due to various reasons, my son is not impressed with this school and is going to withdraw at the end of this quarter.

He went to see his advisor today, and was told that his student loan papers were never filed and therefore he owes them $2700!!! :lol:

This is complete and utter BS. What frustrates me is that I'm in Florida and it's hard to deal with from so far away. I want to go choke someone at that school - they have told us so many lies and have completely misrepresented what they offer.

What can I do? If DS signed the papers and they didn't file them, isn't it THEIR problem???

Please tell me what questions I need to be asking these people when I call.

Thanks.

My son began school at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh in October of this year. On Student Orientation day he met with a Financial Aid advisor and was given papers to sign, saying they were for his student loan.

Due to various reasons, my son is not impressed with this school and is going to withdraw at the end of this quarter.

He went to see his advisor today, and was told that his student loan papers were never filed and therefore he owes them $2700!!! :rofl:

This is complete and utter BS. What frustrates me is that I'm in Florida and it's hard to deal with from so far away. I want to go choke someone at that school - they have told us so many lies and have completely misrepresented what they offer.

What can I do? If DS signed the papers and they didn't file them, isn't it THEIR problem???

Please tell me what questions I need to be asking these people when I call.

Thanks.

Ultimately it is the student responsiblity to pay for the tuition, regardless of loans and grants.

What type of loans did he apply for? Federal? Private? Did he do any follow up??

Ultimately it is the student responsiblity to pay for the tuition, regardless of loans and grants.

What type of loans did he apply for? Federal? Private? Did he do any follow up??

I understand that, but they didn't have the paperwork for him to sign until the Friday before classes started. If it was something WE did, I can see being responsible, but he would not have attended for 2 months if it had not been represented to him that his tuition was covered in full by loans, grants, etc.

There was nothing to follow up on - when he went to orientation he signed his SL paperwork (he is looking for the copies right now) and was told that he was "all set". Now. that he wants to withdraw, they say "Oh, by the way, you owe us $2700 because we never filed that student loan paper you signed."

I don't think so. :blink:

they say "Oh, by the way, you owe us $2700 because we never filed that student loan paper you signed."

Is that actually what they said?, and how bout he gets it in writing if it is in fact what they said

Brandy

Two months and he didnt follow up? The bursers/accounting office wasnt sending bills? Late notices? He didnt check his student account?

Again were these federal or private loans?

Two months and he didnt follow up? The bursers/accounting office wasnt sending bills? Late notices? He didnt check his student account?

What was there to follow up on?? No, they sent no bills, which says a lot to me right there.

DS called me last night and said that after he told them I had advised him to go across the street from the school and meet with a big-name attorney who was a very good friend of my father's, suddenly they "found" something that they could do for him.

The financial aid advisor did not return my calls on Friday. I plan to continue to try to follow up on Monday.

they say "Oh, by the way, you owe us $2700 because we never filed that student loan paper you signed."

Is that actually what they said?, and how bout he gets it in writing if it is in fact what they said

Brandy

I told my son that he was to ask for a financial aid summary.

I'm sorry Lynn, these were a combination of federal and private loans.

It was going to be a tight squeeze in getting him admitted 'in time' - I told the admissions rep over and over that if there was going to be any problems at all with his loans, grants, etc., then he would wait and start in January. She kept telling me there was no problem, everything had gone through.

Like I said, the financial aid office is now saying that they can resubmit his paperwork and everything 'should' be okay. I would not have agreed to have him start if I did not believe that all his funding was in place, as I know we could not afford $2700.

Hi this actually happend to me too. The problem is that they didn't told me about it till I had been in school for 12 weeks or so and by the time they did I owed them $6000... wich of course i didn't not have..... so to this day this is still hunting me i have a horrible credit score that has prevented me to going back to school or getting a mortgage. Hope you can give me some pointers on what to do, I despredly need help!!

It almost happened to me last month! They were so friendly and things moved along fast and efficiently and they were helpful. I thought I had done great research and I was happy about going back to complete my degree on line. The only tiny thing that nagged at me was that everyone I spoke to sounded 13 yr old. I wondered why there were no older staff members and worried about high turn over. Sure enough, once I search for negative information I was shocked. They have a horrendous reputation as a financial aid mill, designed to teach nothing and saddled suckers like me with endless debt. I searched for their withdrawal policy and it was very exacting and designed to trip the student. Withdrawals only by written request mailed or faxed to both the Director of Admission and the Registrar. After hours of searching, I realized they have no DIRECTOR of Admissions, only ASSISTANT Directors. If written request is not received within first two weeks of class, you owe 25% of the overpriced tuition. And I doubt anyone will return your calls in those first two weeks. Also, they do very little in by email. Most communication is verbal, so there is no paper trail. And it goes on... I was soooo grateful to see those complaints. I wrote a blistering legal statement of intent confirming that I had only inquired and never signed nor authorized any charges, enrollment or other fees to be assigned to me. I informed them that I was sending a copy of the letter to the Attorney General's office, in the event I was unable to identify the DIRECTOR. I'm convinced I dodged a huge bullet. I believe there is enough information out there for you to build a strong case against them with the Atty Gen and/or the Better Business Bureau. But you will need to be shrewd. They've clearly been operating this way for a very long time. Good Luck!