Is there any way to get in to navy federal credit union?

The last post in this topic was posted 4513 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Is there anyway to get into this credit union not being in the military or having any family in the military? Are there any affiliated membership programs like nsa for Justice Fed? I would really like to get into Navy Fed but not sure how to go about it.

Thanks for all the continued help,

Jixxer03

There are NO organizations that you can join to get into NFCU other than the several branches of service.....Dig into your family members deeper, maybe someone had a service background.....GOOD LUCK

Edited by mrbill

Navy Federal is still a relatively closed loop CU.

You have to be a member of the armed forces, work as a contractor in a Navy base, or enter through relationships (family/roommate/etc. with NFCU accounts)

No backdoor way in, unfortunately.

Look at PenFed............

PenFed is another option to consider. Just be aware than Pentagon Federal isn't as "liberal" in initially granting credit, especially to those with less than stellar credit.

Guest ariel7576
Navy Federal is still a relatively closed loop CU.

You have to be a member of the armed forces, work as a contractor in a Navy base, or enter through relationships (family/roommate/etc. with NFCU accounts)

No backdoor way in, unfortunately.

forgive the idiocy of my question, but...

i have an ex (who owes me big time!!!) who is an army reservist. would that work? i assume the household member situation applies, but, he lives in louisiana & i live in florida now. my thought is: "temporarily" move to his address & open the share account there, then "move" back home. but does he have to open an account before he can sponsor me? not a big deal, if so.

Pardon me for asking, but why is it so important to get into Navy Federal?

It's mainly set up for members of the armed services and those who are in one way or another, employed with the armed services. NFCU, just as USAA and the others only want to cater to certain types so why attempt to fraudulently get in?

And to answer your question, no, a boyfriend could not get you in. You would have to be family. If you want to enjoy benefits and services afforded to veterans, why don't you enlist, serve your country and become a veteran?

I am sorry if I come across harsh, but as a disabled veteran and a member of NFCU, I am a bit astonished as to why you would want to exploit the services that are intended for certain others.

My friend's father was a vietnam vet. Is he allowed to get in? (The veteran, who obviously no longer servers as he's in his 60's)

Or is it only for active? Is there anything for veterans?

My friend told me that Navy Fed said 'no'. Is that really the case? I've seen conflicting information.

Thanks.

You can get in as a retired veteran, I know that because that's how I got in. Did your friends father retire or become disabled while in the army? Below are the requirements to join NFCU(annuitants are people that receive some type of compensation from the army that is not based on retirement):

All Department of Defense (DoD) uniformed personnel—Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force, retirees and annuitants

All Department of Defense Reservists—Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force—regardless of drill status—retirees and annuitants

All Army and Air National Guard Personnel—regardless of drill status—civilian employees, retirees and annuitants

All DoD Officer Candidate programs: Midshipmen and cadets at the United States Naval Academy, United States Military Academy, United States Air Force Academy, United States Coast Guard Academy and the United States Merchant Marine Academy; Other Officer Programs

U.S. Government employees assigned to DoD installations (including Coast Guard)

All DoD civilian employees

DoD contractors assigned to U.S. Government installations

Family Members, including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members

Once your family members have joined, they can extend the membership opportunity to their family members, too

Joe

Just served and then entered the public sector I believe (I can double check. I know his wife also worked within the military at that time). However, he hasn't worked within the military in many years since that point. I saw the list and wasn't sure if he was included in that. Maybe the customer service rep was mis-informed?

Thanks

sry to butt in one someones post but what if u have a family member in service but your not in contact with them so there is no way they can help u with this, i have an uncle in the air force but we dont "speak"

Unless it has changed, your way in must be a member first and then sponsor you...

Guest ariel7576
Actually to correct the above post, if you live with bf or gf that is NFCU member you can get in that way. I just got my gf of 5 years into NFCU. Just has to be a "household" member.

thanks, scott!

i'll forego commenting on someone else's grumpiness...

I'm still trying to angle this membership myself, since it gets such high ratings here.

Let's say my sister's dad was retired military but deceased. She can get in (she's a member/officer of VFW ladies aux so I know she has docs or whatever); then she can extend membership to me?

Would that work?

The last post in this topic was posted 4513 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.