Sign in to follow this  
Why Chat

WHY YOU SHOULD OPT OUT

Good article.

I am opted in. I will remain opted in.

The article seemed to be targeting those who are troubled -- and have a difficult time with self discipline. The title: "Banks Mine Data and Woo Troubled Borrowers"

Does opting out keep your name out of the Accurint product the CRAs sell to CAs?

To the best of my knowledge opting out prohibits them from selling ANY of your data to ANYONE.

PLEASE DON'T MAKE FUN OF GEORGE, HE IS A HORSE OF A DIFFERENT COLOR

I was just about to ask that. If so, I definitely want to opt-out. I figure I would not be missing anything as I am only getting pre-approvals from Credit One and Popeye's Chicken Platinum - (Denied, in case you are curious)

:P:D

Opting out prevents your name and address from being returned in response to a CRA-wide query of people with information fitting a certain criteria. It prevents nothing if a creditor wants to pull your specific information. Doesn't prevent any hards, any non-PRM softs, or any triggers.

IN THE PAST...most of the "PRE-APPROVED" offers I got were better than "COLD CALL" applications

YMMV

true...it doesn't prevent CAs with your account from pulling hards...

it DOES prevent CAs from seeing your information by buying lists of people applying for a mortgage...

it DOES take some money out of the pockets of CRAs....which in and of itself is reason enough for me

All I care about is the stupid Experian alert, that notifies JDB's, of my new accounts. If I see a hard inq from a JDB, lord help them.

I just wanted to clarify that I am not mistaken when I say opt-ing out removes my MAIN concern (I hate when unrelated JDB's are updated on my actions)

I have a question please. Hubby and I are opted out, but after we closed on our house we were barraged with life insurance offers to "protect" our mortgage in the event of one of our deaths. How could that have happened, if we are opted out?

I have a question please. Hubby and I are opted out, but after we closed on our house we were barraged with life insurance offers to "protect" our mortgage in the event of one of our deaths. How could that have happened, if we are opted out?

THE MORTGAGE COMPANY SOLD YOUR NAME

I take it you NEVER had a baby???

The HOSPITAL will sell your name and address to everybody on their list

All I care about is the stupid Experian alert, that notifies JDB's, of my new accounts. If I see a hard inq from a JDB, lord help them.

I just wanted to clarify that I am not mistaken when I say opt-ing out removes my MAIN concern (I hate when unrelated JDB's are updated on my actions)

OPT-OUT DOES SQUAT TO PREVENT CA HARDS

(assuming they have PP for the debt)

Edited by GEORGE

THE MORTGAGE COMPANY SOLD YOUR NAME

I take it you NEVER had a baby???

The HOSPITAL will sell your name and address to everybody on their list

I had my baby in secret, in the closet. No one knew until I enrolled him in school 15 years later. Kidding :dntknw:

Thanks for your reply, that makes sense!

"OPT-OUT DOES SQUAT TO PREVENT CA HARDS"

Right, but I'm referring to the sniffing around of junk debt buyers who literally get alerts from Experian when I get a new account. A hard, I figure comes when they try to collect. But what flips me out is if I were to apply for a mortgage, a cra would TELL them. That is what I am trying to remove myself from. As I mentioned, if they are DUMB enough to hit me hard, I'll have fun going after them.

"OPT-OUT DOES SQUAT TO PREVENT CA HARDS"

Right, but I'm referring to the sniffing around of junk debt buyers who literally get alerts from Experian when I get a new account. A hard, I figure comes when they try to collect. But what flips me out is if I were to apply for a mortgage, a cra would TELL them. That is what I am trying to remove myself from. As I mentioned, if they are DUMB enough to hit me hard, I'll have fun going after them.

OPT-OUT--->PRM's ("PRE-APPROVED" OFFERS)

FREEZE--->PREVENTS NEW APPLICATIONS FOR CREDIT

Good luck in trying...

Edited by GEORGE

But what stops Experian from telling old jdb's "Hey, KPB wants a car or loan, try to screw him!"

Now I am confused. I don't care about apps, hard inq's.

That alert service is *all* I care about.

Thanks. I hate to re-ask, I just want to make sure I understood if I am SOL or in the clear.

Edited by kpb

But what stops Experian from telling old jdb's "Hey, KPB wants a car or loan, try to screw him!"

Now I am confused. I don't care about apps, hard inq's.

That alert service is *all* I care about.

Thanks. I hate to re-ask, I just want to make sure I understood if I am SOL or in the clear.

N-O-T-H-I-N-G stops EX or TU or EQ from selling anything they want...

FREEZE and OPT-OUT only stops the specific items

------------------------

OPT-OUT--->PRM's ("PRE-APPROVED" OFFERS)

FREEZE--->PREVENTS NEW APPLICATIONS FOR CREDIT

Edited by GEORGE

Ok, so I was mis-informed. George, thanks and I apologize for having to re-ask

what a mess. God, I HATE Cra's. They are eating out of the hands of criminals and scumbags.