Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Official: Bush to Seek $25B for Iraq War

The last post in this topic was posted 6013 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Official: Bush to Seek $25B for Iraq War

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...id=544&ncid=716

By ALAN FRAM, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - The Bush administration asked Congress Wednesday for a $25 billion down payment for next year's U.S. operations in Iraq (news - web sites) and Afghanistan (news - web sites), a retreat from the White House's earlier plans not to seek the money until after the November elections.

The money — half of what White House officials have said they expect to need for 2005 — is designed to carry the military through the first months of the new budget year, which starts next Oct. 1. Congress is likely to be adjourned for much of that period, and the Army in particular would be expected to face a cash crunch unless funds were approved beforehand.

"While we do not know the precise costs for operations next year, recent developments on the ground and increased demands on our troops indicate the need to plan for contingencies," President Bush (news - web sites) said in a statement. "We must make sure there is no disruption in funding and resources for our troops."

Bush budget cuts environmental funding by 7 percent

http://www.enn.com/news/2004-02-03/s_12690.asp

Tuesday, February 03, 2004

By Chris Baltimore, Reuters

WASHINGTON — The Bush administration proposed a 2005 budget Monday for the Environmental Protection Agency, which is down more than 7 percent from levels Congress enacted in 2004. It includes more money to clean up toxic waste sites, while slashing funds for clean water projects by about $500 million.

President Bush's proposed $2.4 trillion election-year budget includes $7.76 billion for EPA, the agency charged with keeping the nation's air, water, and land pollution-free. Proposed funding is down from the $8.4 billion that Congress allocated for EPA in the current budget year.

War Distracts from Bush's Budget Cuts

by Robert Kuttner

Published on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 by the Boston Globe

“Once, a grateful nation offered vets free medical care. Now, the Republicans want to charge premiums to ''well-to-do'' vets -- with well-to-do defined as earning $26,000 a year. All told, the House budget cuts an amazing $14.6 billion in vets' programs, including money for disabilities caused by war wounds, rehabilitation and health care, pensions for low income veterans, education and housing benefits, and even -- nice touch -- burial benefits.

After World War II, we welcomed back vets with a huge program of education, health, and housing -- the justly celebrated GI Bill of Rights. This time, returning military personnel will not only face cuts in their own benefits as veterans; their kids will face cuts in education and health aid as well.

One of Bush's signature programs was ''No Child Left Behind.'' The House Republican budget cuts education funding by 10.2 percent below the reduced level proposed by President Bush, which had proposed to cut several billion previously approved by Congress. “

Bush Proposes to Eliminate Employment Services Programs

http://www.namiscc.org/Advocacy/2004/Sprin...lBudgetCuts.htm

“Among other actions, it would eliminate ... $38 million for projects to provide employment services to people with disabilities."

“Though Mr. Bush has proposed big increases in spending on education for the No Child Left Behind initiative, the administration's list calls for eliminating or cutting back more than a dozen other education programs. Among other actions, it would eliminate $34 million spent to help pay for secondary school counselors; $30 million for a program in schools to combat alcohol abuse; $38 million for projects to provide employment services to people with disabilities; and $18 million for a national writing project.

The administration also called for reducing the Federal Aviation Administration's budget for modernization of the air traffic system by $393 million. The Internal Revenue Service, which is struggling to crack down on abusive tax shelters and outright cheating, would see its budget for modernization reduced from $388 million to $285 million.”

“Money for so-called first responders would be cut from $4.4 billion this year to $3.5 billion next year.”

Now, I completely agree with Bush when he wants to do things like cut wasteful government spending.

What I don’t understand is that these programs were cut from the 2004-5 budgets and Bush is going to ask for another $25 billion in funds (that are not included in either budget) on top of the other $87 billion back in October.

I also am not naïve enough to believe that every single dollar of either of these sums will completely go to the troops in Iraq and that also bothers me.

IF not approving funding would result in the US pulling out of Iraq on a massive scale, I would support not approving it. If they are staying there regardless, then make sure the funding passes.

I also wouldn’t mind sending so much money to Iraq if all these other programs were also being funded. I happen to think that $38 Million for programs for people with disabilities is not a lot of money. When the money for these programs get cut –what happens? These people can’t work. If they can’t work, they still have to pay rent, eat and stay warm, so they go on welfare. Then suddenly they are lazy because they don’t want to work, however, they may be physically unable to. See the hypocrisy? It absolutely beyond a doubt pisses me off to no end.

We can magically borrow $25 billion dollar but can’t spend $14.6 billion for the Vet’s that have already served? I mean, oh my god, what a slap in the face. Not only will the Vets get reduced education and healthcare their children will also face the cuts.

Bush is cutting $393 million dollars from the FAA budget to modernize the air traffic system. Its only 1970’s technology, why replace it?

I could go on and on.

God, I hope it’s an untainted election.

check out this excerpt from the financial times:

"On Wednesday a senior administration official described the additional funds as an "insurance policy" designed to prevent any disruption in funding. He added that it was not yet clear whether the money would actually be spent."

what, they just want a rainy day fund...like the cash they stole from the campaign in afganistan that they sent to iraq????

God, I hope it’s an untainted election.

Wouldn't that be nice? None of the BS the dems and Gore pulled last time. Just a clean election giving GWB 4 more years to work for us.

livefromny, I heard bush hopes to win by an even larger margin next time... he's hoping for 7 to 2 instead of just 5 to 4.

why do we need funds for the military to be in iraq? werent we supposed to be out of there somewhere around july 04?

Replacing 20,000 and adding 27,000 more.

47,000 US soldiers told they will go to Iraq as clashes continue

http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm...fm?id=510562004

THE Pentagon is telling about 10,000 active-duty United States army soldiers and marines and 37,000 reserve and national guard troops that they will be sent to Iraq this year, defence officials said yesterday. They are needed to maintain the level of 138,000 US troops in the country.

Officials said commanders in Iraq had decided to keep an increased US military presence there into the autumn because of resurgent violence and mounting American casualties.

They said that about 20,000 troops now being notified would be used to replace a similar number who are currently serving 90 days beyond their promised year-long tours of duty, which had been scheduled to end last month.

livefromny, I heard bush hopes to win by an even larger margin next time... he's hoping for 7 to 2 instead of just 5 to 4.

Ahhh. Another Democrat that can't count. The deciding ruling was 7-2 to reverse the Florida Supreme Court decision. This was the decision that ended it. Even a couple of libs agreed that the Florida Supremes were way out of line.

The 5-4 decision was was simply that a new recount, using uniform standards, could not happen before the midnight deadline for selecting presidential electors. Anyone who watched the recount fiasco has to agree with this.

And virtually every credible independent recount has come to the same conclusion: Bush won Florida (as he will again in 2004). Don't bother to post any ridiculous links showing anything different ("but, but, but... if you count the votes exactly this way, under these exact circumstances, and you assume this and that, and multiply this factor by 12.3... You see! Gore won!).

blah blah blah

livefromny...I am not a democrat. I was just trying to make a small joke, but it seems you are obvious a partisan republican who gets defensive if anyone challenges his hero, GWB.

Your post reminds how I glad I got out of your state when I had the chance...but I did enjoy voting for Mrs. Clinton. New York deserves her.

BUSH IS A RINO!!!! there I said it. go ahead mr high tax state, defend your hero.

livefromny...I am not a democrat. I was just trying to make a small joke, but it seems you are obvious a partisan republican who gets defensive if anyone challenges his hero, GWB.

I apologize if you are truly not a Democrat. I can certainly understand why that would offend you.

And yes, I am partisan. When you're as right as we are, you really almost have to be.

LivefromNY,

I'm not sure what election you're talking about, but I'm talking about the one where Choicepoint DBT admitted to, in court, because the State of Florida was sued by the NAACP, disenfranchising 58,000 African American voters in Florida in 2000.

Thats what I mean by "God, I hope its a fair election."

I'm not sure what election you're talking about, but I'm talking about the one where Choicepoint DBT admitted to, in court, because the State of Florida was sued by the NAACP, disenfranchising 58,000 African American voters in Florida in 2000.

Well there's a completely misleading statement. But then again, that's what being a Democrat is all about, isn't it?

LivefromNY,

Thats what I mean by "God, I hope its a fair election."

:?:

Well there's a completely misleading statement. But then again, that's what being a Democrat is all about, isn't it?

Misleading? Whats misleading about it?

Winning the Election – The Republican Way

http://www.gregpalast.com/detail.cfm?artid=217&row=2

"What really happened in Florida?

Five months before the election, Florida Secretary of State Katherine Harris ordered the removal of 57,700 names from Florida’s voter rolls on grounds that they were felons. Voter rolls contain the names of all eligible, registered voters. If you’re not on the list, you don’t get to vote.

If you commit a felony in Florida, you lose your right to vote there, and you‘re “scrubbed” from the rolls. You become a non-citizen, like in the old Soviet Union. This is not the case in most other states; it’s an uncivilized vestige of the Deep South.

My office carefully went through the scrub list and discovered that at minimum, 90.2 percent of the people were completely innocent of any crime – except for being African American. We didn’t have to guess about that, because next to each voter’s name was their race.

When I questioned Harris’ office about the high percentage of African Americans on the scrub list, they responded, “Well, you know how many black people commit crimes.”

"So where did DBT get their data?

From the Internet. They went to 11 other states’ Internet sites and took names off dirt-cheap. They scrubbed Florida voters whose names were similar to out-of-state felons. An Illinois felon named John Michaels could knock off Florida voter John, Johnny, Jonathan or Jon R. Michaels, or even J.R. Michaelson. DBT matched for race and gender, but names only had to be similar to a certain degree. Names could be reversed, and suffixes (Jr., Sr.) were ignored, but aliases were included. So the felon John “Buddy” Michaels could knock non-felon Michael Johns or Bud Johnson Jr. off the voter rolls. This happened again and again.

Although DBT didn’t get names, birthdays or social security numbers right, they were very careful to match for race. A black felon named Mr. Green would only knock off a black Mr. Green, but not a single white Mr. Green. That’s how DBT earned its $2.3 million."

http://www.truthout.org/docs_02/08.29A.fl.face.2K.htm

"The original complaint filed by NAACP addressed conditions effecting hundreds of thousands of Black Florida voters state wide a group that voted in favor of Al Gore by a 93% margin. There is no clear indication that any meaningful steps have been taken to protect the rights of African American voters in the state of Florida."

http://archive.aclu.org/news/2002/n090302a.html

Settlement Reached in Florida Election Lawsuit

"Some provisions of the settlement include:

Greater accuracy in the maintenance of voter registration rolls to ensure that eligible voters are not erroneously removed from the voter lists in future elections and restoration of voters who were wrongly removed prior to the 2000 elections."

When you remove 57,700 innocent african american voters who on average vote Democrat 93% of the time, yeah, thats unfair.

Thats 55,969 people who were not allowed to vote that day. Even if 1% of those people WERE ALLOWED TO VOTE, Bush would have lost.

Do you finally understand?

P.S. You know what, you were right, I was misleading. I said "58,000" and it was actually "57,700". Sorry for the mistake.

First of all, you're assuming that they'd vote for Gore...unlikely

second of all, this "article" is so blatantly slanted as to make it untrue. They're claiming that the GOP specifically exluded blacks? Where's the evidence? Where's ANY REAL evidence that Harris did this specifically to garner more votes for Bush? Where's ANYTHING other than her DOING HER JOB!!!! She MUST "scrub" the list... or are you saying that felons SHOULD be allowed to vote, as long as they vote democratic?

The dems whining about losing in 2000 is getting REALLY old. IF the allegations were true, why hasn't anyone been indicted? The TRUTH is that Bush won Florida fair and square...the whole thing about chads is grasping at straws. Just because the people who "meant" to vote for Gore couldn't read a simple ballot, doesn't mean that Gore should have won

A quote from GregPalast.com? You've got to be kidding me...

You really know your reliable news sources.

Like most of your posts, this post is also full of misleading information. You know it and I know it.

I'll be happy to respond later. But right now I have some business to conduct. Business = It's a Republican thing.

The exact answers I expected from both of you.  Denial.

Denial of what? Your "facts"? what about rebutting our points?

Since we're discussing voter fraud, here's a little equal time for the Democrats:

INS involved

in voter fraud

80,000-plus criminals naturalized

to increase support for Democrats

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article....RTICLE_ID=21739

Dead Men Voting

In Daschle's home state, fraud wanders off the reservation

....says Adele Enright, the Democratic auditor of Dewey County. "We just got a huge envelope of 350 absentee ballot applications post

marked from the Sioux Falls office of the Democratic Party

http://www.opinionjournal.com/diary/?id=110002475

We estimate that 37 percent of the newly-registered Democrat voters who voted in the Kern County portion of the 30th Assembly District cast fraudulent votes.

http://www.thesocialcontract.com/cgi-bin/s...leID=1163&terms

Radi8

How perfect that this came out today:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/a...a_voter_rolls_1

Fla. to Purge Felons From Voter Lists

"Jenny Nash, spokeswoman for Secretary of State Glenda Hood, said the purge was mandated by law, and that the current list of possible felons was approved by the U.S. Department of Justice and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, which sued the state over the list used in 2000."

I completely agree that if federal or states dictate that an ex-felon cannot vote, so be it.

I posted this article for two reasons:

1. To show that this article was posted by the Associated Press and is generally accepted as a reliable news source and that what I previously stated about the list is correct (about Florida being sued over the list).

2. To show that this small part is a confirmation that Greg Palast did use facts to come to his own opinion of what happened. I happen to think that since the entire list in 2000 was African American and chock full of innocent people - enough to have a court hear a lawsuit - that it probably means that group was targeted. African Americans also overwhelmingly, in Florida (per the voting records), vote Democrat.

since the entire list in 2000 was African American

Where is the ACLU? The NAACP?

Absolutely nobody has filed a discrimination suit over this?

since the entire list in 2000 was African American

Where is the ACLU? The NAACP?

Absolutely nobody has filed a discrimination suit over this?

Ok, to be technically correct, there may have been at least 1 non-African American on the list of wrongly removed voters.

Also, I guess you missed this part of the post:

"National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), which sued the state over the list used in 2000."

As for the ACLU:

http://www.aclu.org/VotingRights/VotingRig...?ID=10696&c=166

September 3, 2002

"ATLANTA- The American Civil Liberties Union welcomes the proposed settlement announced today of a class-action lawsuit filed against the state of Florida and seven counties after many minority voters were disfranchised during the controversial 2000 presidential election.

The ACLU joined the lawsuit, NAACP v. Harris, two years ago with civil rights advocates from the NAACP, NAACP Legal Defense Fund, the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, People For the American Way Foundation, the Miami law firm of Williams & Associates and The Advancement Project. "

Some provisions of the settlement include:

"Greater accuracy in the maintenance of voter registration rolls to ensure that eligible voters are not erroneously removed from the voter lists in future elections and restoration of voters who were wrongly removed prior to the 2000 elections."

"State monitoring and coordination to ensure that state agencies provide required voter registration opportunities and to ensure that the counties carry out state list maintenance programs in a uniform and non-discriminatory manner."

How many more sources of this information do you want me to show all of you that continually doubt that what I am saying is IN FACT, TRUE.

Do you want me to post the complaint from the ACLU and NAACP? Oh, I know, I can drive to Florida, get enough copeis of the docket with the court seal on it and send each one of you a copy. No, wait, you still wouldn't believe me.

How about I fly you all in to the courthouse that the case was heard to get the documents yourselves? Would you believe me then?

. To show that this article was posted by the Associated Press and is generally accepted as a reliable news source and that what I previously stated about the list is correct (about Florida being sued over the list).

never argued that Florida was sued...but keep in mind that McDonald's was sued because an old woman spilled coffee in her lap, and people sue for absolutley no reason whatsoever...just because they were sued by a racist organization doesn't mean that it was justified

The last post in this topic was posted 6013 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.