Sign in to follow this  
MarvBear

Smoking Cigarettes

Do ya ever loose the urge?

I quit taking the chantix, couldn't stand the side effects.

So, I'm like doing this cold turkey.

There's a little demon inside my head saying go get a cigarette tonite..................... Ain't gonna though.

*sigh* Lawd, I still want one.

Hi MarvBear! :rolleyes:

Tell me all about Chantix - my doctor just gave me a prescription for it the other day but I haven't gotten it yet. What were your side effects?

Did you try the other pill (the one that doubles as an antidepressant)?

I have never smoked so I can't tell you whether or not the urge ever completely goes away. I commend you for taking the initiative to quit though. Hang in there.

fmlynrs

Do ya ever loose the urge?

I quit taking the chantix, couldn't stand the side effects.

So, I'm like doing this cold turkey.

There's a little demon inside my head saying go get a cigarette tonite..................... Ain't gonna though.

*sigh* Lawd, I still want one.

It will go away Marvy. Cold turkey is hardest thing I've ever done, but it does get better.

I'll get the shotgun after your demon. :rolleyes:

Hi MarvBear! :rolleyes:

Tell me all about Chantix - my doctor just gave me a prescription for it the other day but I haven't gotten it yet. What were your side effects?

Did you try the other pill (the one that doubles as an antidepressant)?

Hey honey, how ya been...........long time no see.

Just the normal side effects that you always hear about, vivid dreams, constipation or diarrhea (neither of which a bear likes), but the last straw was when my gums started bleeding, then I read all about all the 160 different side effects. I don't know nothing about the other pill regarding antidepressants. The chantix made me feel like I was taking valium for 30 minutes and then a big hit of speed for 30 minutes, up and down like a see-saw. That part I handled, just when my gums started bleeding, I said enough is enough and quit the chantix. Come August 10, I will be smoke free for 60 days.

Just tonite I got the urge. Guess I'll go find me some chocolate malt balls, that usually works LOL.

well, I've been trying to quit cold turkeyish myself...

recently went the hypnosis route (a friend of mine does it and I did some computer work for him...he hypnotized me)...it's working pretty well...I still have the urge (and I sneak one every now and then...but I've had like 10 in the past 3 weeks)

but it's a lot easier...I hope the urge goes away...

for me though, it's more about the psychological addiction....I get in my car...start it...put my seatbelt on, put it in gear, and light a smoke...

that's the toughest part for me...

Congrats on the 60 days. I'm so proud of you! :yes2:

I hope you can fight off the urge, but if you absolutely cannot, have you ever tried Nicorette gum? It didn't make me stop smoking, but it was the best substitute for a cig I ever tried with none of the weird side effects. I'm ashamed to admit it but I still use it for when I go to the movies. :)

It does have nicotine in it so that would be bad for you but still better than a cig I think. I swear it makes you feel like you just had one. I mix it with Bubblicious so it tastes better! :good:

Congrats on the 60 days. I'm so proud of you! :yes2:

I hope you can fight off the urge, but if you absolutely cannot, have you ever tried Nicorette gum? It didn't make me stop smoking, but it was the best substitute for a cig I ever tried with none of the weird side effects. I'm ashamed to admit it but I still use it for when I go to the movies. :)

It does have nicotine in it so that would be bad for you but still better than a cig I think. I swear it makes you feel like you just had one. I mix it with Bubblicious so it tastes better! :good:

Probably the best thing about not smoking believe it or not, is I sleep so so so much better. Hibernation is extremely important for bears. Plus my sense of smell is much more acute,

*sigh* those damn chocolate malt balls so gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood............... munch munch.

and nope no nicorette gum, probably taste nasty I guess, I'm afraid to try it.

Well just promise that if you can't take it anymore you'll try the gum instead of a real cig. It doesn't taste that bad, it used to to taste like chewing black pepper flavored gum but now they have flavors.

I thought the worst thing ever was that stupid nicotine patch. I had the weirdest dreams and my heart raced all night - ugh! It's not natural for even a heavy smoker to get a steady stream of nicotine 24 hours a day.

Reminder - NO SMOKING CIGS, MARV. :)

I really think it will get better with time.

LOL I can actually taste stuff now too.

It's just sometimes the urge hits, and I don't know what triggers it. I know the triggers at work, and I avoid them, but don't know at home though.

Everyones surprised at work, I've not yelled, screamed, thrown stuff about, cursed or anything too too mean. LOL.

OH, and I see Lighthouse84 reading along.

EAT YOUR HEART OUT.

My dentist says my fangs are IRIDESCENTLY white since I quit smoking. :rofl:

Keep it up Marv. my dad said you don't realize how bad you and other people who smoke smell until you quit.

my mom smokes and I have asthma and am allergic to it, and she continues to smoke around me. I have a lot of built up anger towards her simply because of the cigarettes - so I hope that you continue down a good path!

As far as the sleeping - nicotine is a stimulant, thus why you're probably sleeping better. My mom can't sleep a full night and gets up and smokes about 3 cigs during the night. No wonder.

Keep it up Marv. my dad said you don't realize how bad you and other people who smoke smell until you quit.

my mom smokes and I have asthma and am allergic to it, and she continues to smoke around me. I have a lot of built up anger towards her simply because of the cigarettes - so I hope that you continue down a good path!

As far as the sleeping - nicotine is a stimulant, thus why you're probably sleeping better. My mom can't sleep a full night and gets up and smokes about 3 cigs during the night. No wonder.

OH I really didn't know that about nicotine, Thanks for the information. I am amazed about how much better I have been sleeping, and wondering what was causing it. And you're right about the sense of smell, the other day one of my salestaff walked into my big glass office, which has no ceiling even, wide open, and I smelled cigarettes on him, and almost gagged. I had to get up and go out the office till it cleared up. All the while, thinking to myself, DAMN.............did I SMELL LIKE THAT???????????????????????????????

Marv!!!!

2 months already!!! You are doing fantastic!! Do not give in, you KNOW you can't have just one... YES, it absolutely DOES get better/easier - the cravings certainly go away.

I am EIGHT months today. EIGHT. Holy crap. I had never made it longer than 2 weeks, and here it is, EIGHT months later. I have been craving the last few weeks. But I've also been moving and having some stress, and my divorce, and these are all things that I normally would have smoked to cope with. You smoked for years Marv, your brain just has to retrain itself into having other coping mechanisms.

Congratulations on your 60 days.

((((HUGS))))

Marv!!!!

2 months already!!! You are doing fantastic!! Do not give in, you KNOW you can't have just one... YES, it absolutely DOES get better/easier - the cravings certainly go away.

I am EIGHT months today. EIGHT. Holy crap. I had never made it longer than 2 weeks, and here it is, EIGHT months later. I have been craving the last few weeks. But I've also been moving and having some stress, and my divorce, and these are all things that I normally would have smoked to cope with. You smoked for years Marv, your brain just has to retrain itself into having other coping mechanisms.

Congratulations on your 60 days.

((((HUGS))))

yahoo............eight months YOU deserve some CONGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRATS!

Congrats to you both!!!

And yeah Marv, nicotine is the most addictive substance - more than heroin. Even your acetylcholine receptors in your body are called muscarinic and nicotinic <_<

Nicotine basically turns on these receptors, exciting the nerves. Stuff like Wellbutrin, block them, thus making you not want nicotine.

And did you know that nicotine was used as an insecticide?!?!?!?!

From wiki

In low concentrations (an average cigarette yields about 1 mg of absorbed nicotine), the substance acts as a stimulant in mammals and is one of the main factors responsible for the dependence-forming properties of tobacco smoking. According to the American Heart Association, "Nicotine addiction has historically been one of the hardest addictions to break." The pharmacological and behavioral characteristics that determine tobacco addiction are similar to those that determine addiction to drugs such as heroin and cocaine.[3]
Edited by undertakeress

Congrats on making it this far! You can keep going.

Please don't use Nicorette or the patch... it's a bad idea. You have to think of yourself as a nicotine addict. The slightest bit of nicotine sets your withdrawl back to square one. I learned this the hard way the first several times I tried to quit.

There is a great article by Joel Spitzer called "Never take another puff." I found it to be really helpful when I quit. I know it is really long (149 pages), but it had some great information. Just google "Never take another puff." The article is the first one that pops up and it is a PDF so you can read it later or over time.

Keep up the GREAT JOB!!!!! :clapping:

:good:

I tried to quit a while back, was successful for a coulpe of weeks, then I almost lost my dad, that started it right back, then I was diagnosed with some major health problems,,, stressssssss...

I Just smoked the last cig I have... Bought some Commit Lozenges today, going to go that route.,, the smoking is making my medical condition way worse.. Hope that it works this time around.

Good luck to everyone ..I'm fortunate that I never began smoking, but I have suffered the health consequences of my mom smoking.

But I don't judge anyone or their choices, but commend you all for taking on this tough task! We all have our own addictions in life to overcome, some are just harder than others.

pryan; you done quite too?????????????????????????

I'm trying to at least *LOL* a lot easier since the hypnosis

I thought about the hypnosis, and had someone offer to do that for me. I was a bit skeptical though, so I never tried it. I just never thought anyone could hypnotize me.

Weed counters cigarettes.

You start smoking it for 2 weeks then stop cold turkey (because you can come off weed instantly & then you won't crave smoking).

Edited by ePaper

Yes, for me it did go away. I think cigarettes stink now. Bleh.

But mmm, I love a good cigar.