Sign in to follow this  
CTSMOM01

Child Support Order?

Has anyone rec'vd child support through wage garnishment? In N.C. wage garnishment coming from Florida. Recently had a judgement issued and have lots of questions.

Thanks

Yes. The way it works for me is the employer automatically deducts it from his pay and sends it to the state's department of revenue, then they send me a check.

Yes. The way it works for me is the employer automatically deducts it from his pay and sends it to the state's department of revenue, then they send me a check.

that's how it works w/ DH's order.

Whoa! While I was typing my reply, I had Googled the Florida Department of Revenue and saw this webpage. Now you must choose direct deposit or they automatically send you a debit MasterCard.

I never got a letter or anything telling me about this, WTH? :rolleyes: Although I did notice their checks changed from the kind that comes in an envelope to the kind all folded in one piece with the perforated ends you tear off a couple months ago.

I wonder when this takes effect? I just got a paper check a couple of days ago.

I'm going get the direct deposit form mailed in first thing Monday because I don't want a debit card.

CTSMOM, this will apply to you too since you're getting your child support from Florida. If you need any help or have any other questions, I'm happy to help.

Edited by Gingerly

Gingerly I sent my form off yesterday! The order was faxed to his employer yesterday. I'll have to wait a few more weeks....

...Has anyone had trouble enforcing the garnishment of Non Custodial parent?

...Has anyone had trouble enforcing the garnishment of Non Custodial parent?

I don't think you'll have a problem with that, Florida doesn't mess around. When a person is hired for a job in Florida, the employer is required to send their info to the DOR or they get fined.

Now, working for under-the-table pay or refusing to work at all is another story. Although I do know someone whose baby's daddy spent weekends in jail until he got a job for trying that. :D

He has a steady job with good pay. I know his butt is going to be like WHAT! The judge ordered that he back pay from the date that I filed! It's not all about money b/c I tried to "help" him. I allowed him to put a set amt. in my account but he started slacking or just not doing it at all. So...

I'm in the same situation. My ex owes me tons of money and he's readily accessible working for the government and get this. My CSO has not done anything. I kinda just let it ride but it would be nice to get him to pay what he owes. They keep saying the IRS has the info that he owes the money but it's up to the IRS to intercept his refund. It will be a winter day here where I live before I see that back CS though. Oh well.

I'm in the same situation. My ex owes me tons of money and he's readily accessible working for the government and get this. My CSO has not done anything. I kinda just let it ride but it would be nice to get him to pay what he owes. They keep saying the IRS has the info that he owes the money but it's up to the IRS to intercept his refund. It will be a winter day here where I live before I see that back CS though. Oh well.

Why don't they garnish his wages? The IRS and state garnish our tax refunds, stimulus etc. each and every time. Please no flaming, my husband did not even know that this child existed for a few years. Oh and his employer sends in his portion every week, too. He could have sent her a check, but opted for the garnishing because it is easier and also no clue where she lives.

Whoa! While I was typing my reply, I had Googled the Florida Department of Revenue and saw this webpage. Now you must choose direct deposit or they automatically send you a debit MasterCard.

I never got a letter or anything telling me about this, WTH? ;) Although I did notice their checks changed from the kind that comes in an envelope to the kind all folded in one piece with the perforated ends you tear off a couple months ago.

I wonder when this takes effect? I just got a paper check a couple of days ago.

I'm going get the direct deposit form mailed in first thing Monday because I don't want a debit card.

CTSMOM, this will apply to you too since you're getting your child support from Florida. If you need any help or have any other questions, I'm happy to help.

PA is doing something similar, to save on mailing costs. I had the choice of getting my unemployment compensation put on a debit card or direct deposited to my account. They no longer send checks.

They sent me a debit card but I've never had anything deposited to it because my direct deposit set-up got done quickly enough. A lot of times people who want direct deposit will not get it set up in time for the first payment.

The child support order is for the children (period) entirely. Seriously confused when the custodial parent seems to think the NON custodial OWES them. They owe their children.

States garnish wages. Checks or debit cards seem to be the future issuance.

The child support order is for the children (period) entirely. Seriously confused when the custodial parent seems to think the NON custodial OWES them. They owe their children.

States garnish wages. Checks or debit cards seem to be the future issuance.

Ugggh. I don't want to type this out.

But say the custodial parent covers the portion of expenses that the non-custodial parent should be responsible for. That is, the custodial parent is covering 100% of the costs to raise the child.

The non-custodial parent shouldn't have to reimburse the custodial parent that amount?

So has anyone had an order and the non custodial parent quit jobs?

I used to see this all the time with my parent's company. You'll need to find out where the new job is, and have the state send the order to the new job. (Or the state will find out when the employer sends in the non custodial's SSN in payroll tax forms.)

I appreciate all answers regarding my questions. Now to Logical One...do you have children you raise alone? I understand children are not bills, but they require much time and money to raise them.