Sign in to follow this  
hhh

Los Angeles

So... in a few months I'm going to be flying into LAX and from there renting a car and driving out to Anaheim.

Its looking like I'm be coming in on a weekday evening. What kind of driving time should I be expecting? Is interstates 5 and 105 pretty nasty just about any time?

I'm absolutlely horrified at the thought of having to drive at all in LA, but it looks like there isn't going to be a choice =p

Also interested in what kind of driving time I should be expecting going up 5 to Burbank.

Thanks

I used to live in LA and around Anaheim...

From LAX, 105 East, 605 South, 91 East to 5 South into Anaheim...or ...105 to 405 South, 22 East, 5 North,,, it all depends on traffic and time of day,, Have fun :)

I used to live 30 miles from work, about 30 min at 4 AM to get in... 2-2.5 hrs at night to get home...did that for 6 years....Never again.

I had to drive I-10 through LA once in 5 o'clock traffic and I was terrified, but it turned out to not be scary at all - there were so many cars everyone could only go 20 miles an hour. :D

Depending on time I would think that you should be safe planning on about an hour for both if you do it pretty much past 7:00pm. I can't give much details on Anaheim, but I can give you Burbank.

After 7:00pm an hour would most likely be plenty. I have made the trip plenty of times. If you are really unsure, and want to be totally safe, then plan on 2 hours. Unless there is some sort of accident you will be just fine. If this is a work type thing then just give the ol' "Wow, this is my first time driving here. This traffic is crazy!" ... then every one will pretty much be cool and understand.

If you have to be somewhere at a certain time, there is no reason to be stressed when you hit a pocket of traffic. It'll start moving again. It'll seem like you are sitting there for hours, but it is pretty much only about 15-20 minutes and it'll open back up again. (Though sometimes it can be hours if it is an accident)

On a positive note, let's assume everything is ideal (normal traffic for the hour and start driving about 7-9pm) then you could be in Burbank in about 30 minutes. I made that trip last year about 20x leaving at 9pm to go to the airport and it took about 20-30 minutes. Coming in at midnight, it was 30-40 minutes on the return.

Hope this helps,

V-Dude

P.S. We went from Anaheim to Burbank on the 5 about a month ago. We left Anaheim at 7:30pm from Disney and were in Burbank at 8:10pm. It was the first time I drove it, so I remember specifically.

I used to live in LA. The 405 was the BANE of my existence there. I would take the 105 to the 5 to get to Anaheim, or the 105 to the 605 to 91, depending on the time of evening you're getting in.

To get to Burbank, the 5 is the most straightforward way to get there... but personally, I'd go up the 5, to the 110, to 134 - the 110 goes straight through downtown (which is the prettiest way to experience downtown :lol: ), and historic Aroyo Seco pkwy - tunnels, hills, etc - it's a lovely drive. You'll have to get off the 110 where it ends in Pasadena, but it's a straight shot to the 134 going north Fair Oaks :o I used to live in South Pas, and you could not imagine a more perfect little town.

:P Hey LM...we used to live close by each other.. I used to live off the 110 @ Ave 43, on the hill above the

Southwest Museum,, did all my shopping in South Pas...Pavillions, Trader Joes, Bristol Farms, The Philly Connection...

:mellow: Hey LM...we used to live close by each other.. I used to live off the 110 @ Ave 43, on the hill above the

Southwest Museum,, did all my shopping in South Pas...Pavillions, Trader Joes, Bristol Farms, The Philly Connection...

:P Hi almost neighbor! I lived around Grevelia and Fair Oaks... I would love to be able to afford to live there again - we had it soooo easy, $750 apartment! The same apartment now goes for over $1300 :P

I have a follow-up question to this... as the time is getting nearer..

I have not decided totally if I want to rent a car yet, given that the only transportation I need is Anaheim CC <-> LAX, are there any options other than Taxi? (The Burbank thing is out of the picture currently). That looks like a considerable distance from LAX... does public transportation exist that'd fit?

opinions? snide comments? ;)

Edited by hhh

Are you going to a hotel? Visiting friends? Work related?

for the latter 2, you might be able to have someone pick you up or drop you off. For a hotel, there might be a trolley (bus, whatever) that makes a stop at the hotel.

Although personally, unless I am just going one place and returning to the airport in a few hours (with no time to look around) - I'd opt for a rental car....I can't stand being stuck somewhere with no way to get around.

I have a follow-up question to this... as the time is getting nearer..

I have not decided totally if I want to rent a car yet, given that the only transportation I need is Anaheim CC <-> LAX, are there any options other than Taxi? (The Burbank thing is out of the picture currently). That looks like a considerable distance from LAX... does public transportation exist that'd fit?

opinions? snide comments? :P

I'd definitely recommend Supershuttle vs a rental, and they cover SoCal extensively. When you need to get to the airport (schedule well in advance), it'll take awhile but enjoy a book, ipod, laptop... <_< Give em a buzz now and they'll tell you the price and the approx time it takes.

Also, after having read the thread and having spent about 1/2 my life in SoCal... stay a few hundred (?thousand) miles away from the 405 if you're planning on driving... :rofl:

LAX -> Hotel -> Convention Center -> Hotel -> LAX

over about 3-4 days

Hotel <-> Convention Center is walkable

I don't know anyone in the area, and I'm traveling alone.

If you truly don't want to do anything besides hotel-convention center-lax, then I'd forgo the rental and use the super shuttle. Public Transportation is essentially non-existant for those routes.

Plus, just because a distance looks walkable on a map, it doesn't necessarily mean it is. Sidewalks are not always where you'd like them to be in LA :) .

But, if it were me, I'd check out hotwire and rent a cheap car for the time you're there... I rented a minivan for $35/day last time we were in LA, and I can't imagine being cooped up for that long.

Plus, just because a distance looks walkable on a map, it doesn't necessarily mean it is. Sidewalks are not always where you'd like them to be in LA :angry: .

Its barely 1 block. Whether that looks walkable or not, it is walkable, somehow :good:

I'm going to look into this shuttle thing, thanks!