Sign in to follow this  
Saturngoddess

Stevia - has anyone used it.

I am a iced tea drinker all the way - I much prefer it over soda or water, but I have to have my Sweet-N-Low to sweeten it with.

I heard there is a new sweetner out that isn't "chemicals" like the artificial stuff - it is made from the stevia herb. I would love to try it, but wanted to see if anyone here has tried it first.

I am worried about the chemicals - I put wayyyyyyyyy too much sweetnlow in my iced tea/coffee that I am afraid I am gonna develop cancer from it some day. I hate Equal (it makes me sick) and Splenda just doesn't do it for me..

So... has anyone used it? If not, I am just gonna go down to Whole Foods (oops, I mean Whole Paycheck) market and buy some and see how it is...

It's not really that new..been out for a while..once you get used to it, you'll not go back to the fake stuff

K -

I take it you have used it? Does the taste grow on you or...

I was reading some health newsletters I get about how hard it is to lose weight due to the artificial sweetners doing some kind of job on your brain (causing you to eat more etc)... That thought had crossed my mind, but since I going on a more "natural" way of eating, I thought I woudl kick to the curb any chemicals - artificial sweetners being the first one...

K -

I take it you have used it? Does the taste grow on you or...

I was reading some health newsletters I get about how hard it is to lose weight due to the artificial sweetners doing some kind of job on your brain (causing you to eat more etc)... That thought had crossed my mind, but since I going on a more "natural" way of eating, I thought I woudl kick to the curb any chemicals - artificial sweetners being the first one...

Saturn - I've been using it for about 3yrs now..to me its an acquired taste, not good or bad or anything - just different - I switched from white sugar to brown sugar many moons ago, could never do artificial sweetners and found stevia while doing some research...sugar was always a big thing with me, and with diabetes on one side of the family, I was always trying to cut back some..

I called Whole foods and they have it in little packets or in liquid. What would you consider the most cost efficient? I am heading down there tonight to get some :-).

Thanks K... I appreciate it.

I called Whole foods and they have it in little packets or in liquid. What would you consider the most cost efficient? I am heading down there tonight to get some :-).

Thanks K... I appreciate it.

hmm...good point ..I use the drops in my teas and stuff now..I dont do the sprinkley stuff only because I dont do much cereal or stuff ..

I work with a woman who swears by it. She carries a little bottle of drops in her purse. I guess it can't hurt to try it :rofl:

I use it and love it! I'm not sure of the name, but there's a version of it that has most of the bitter taste removed. That particular rendition comes in powdered individual packets.

I don't like it, I think it tastes like licorice - yuck.

anything that taste like Pernod or Lucid is good by me.. :)

I use the sweet leaf brand liquid on occasion. I've never tried the powdered variety. It is expensive, but it's worth it not to use the white powder imo.

I switched to Stevia (I also use the Sweet Leaf brand) for my coffee at work - I just leave my box there, since that's the only place I drink coffee. I didn't notice any difference in taste, and I like that it's natural :o

I don't drink it but DW does. She buys the box with the packets at Whole Foods. She used to do 2 packets of Splenda with her coffee, and now only uses 1/2 a packet of the Stevia. According to her it is very sweet, that is why she uses 1/4 compared to Splenda.

And about the artificial sweetners, I wouldn't be suprised if 40-50 years from now they are viewed like asbestos and lead paint are viewed today.

I have used the liquid form from the health food stores for a few years now usually like happymom for smoothies. Im not a big sugar adder my DH hated when I made koolaide or anything because it was basically water the way I made it :lol:

so I use a very small amount & it tasted fine from the get go for me but.. sweet n low and such makes me sick like I ate a bag of sugar so you might have to use more

Well... I bought the little packets..

I agree.. It is going to take some getting used to - It doesn't taste particulary sweet, but maybe I am not putting enough in. It does however, have a unusual taste but that could be because I have been eating that poison known as artificial sweetner - it probably has done some damage to my taste buds. <_<

I think I will go with the drops next time and see how that goes after I finish up the Sweet Leaf packets.