Sign in to follow this  
radiodesignguy

WAMU refuses mortgage payment? Legal?

My mother in law is behind on her mortgage by one month. She hit the 30 day past due mark on July 1. She skipped June's payment because she had to get a new air conditioner. She tried to pay it today online and it won't let her pay the past due payment only. Her mortgage is due on the 1st of every month. So, she logged in online and it says she has to pay the past due payment, PLUS the current payment which is still within the 10 day grace period since today is July 5th. Technically, she has until July 15 to pay before being considered "late" or having any fee's.

So, since she can't pay online, she called customer service. They REFUSED her house payment that is 30 days past due. They told her she has to pay the past due PLUS the payment that was due July 1 for this month. Her July payment isn't past due until July 10th. :angry:

Can they legally refuse her payments? She's not in a banking area that has a Wamu anywhere near by so going to the branch isn't going to work, plus they told her they would not accept the payment at the branch. She called my wife because here in GA we have Wamu's everywhere so we can go to a branch. The thing is, is this even legal? She has a 30 year fixed FHA backed loan with them.

Here's the cliff notes:

$1200.00 due June 1 <--- skipped

$1200.00 due July 1 <--- still in 10 day grace period.

They won't let her pay the $1200.00. They told her to either pay $2400.00 or they won't take ANY payment from her. Can't pay online unless she pays $2400.00. She was going to pay today $1285.00 which is the past due amount and the late fee. Then she was going to pay the other $1200.00 on the 15th.

WTF? This just doesn't seem legal. The "reason" they told her they won't accept just the $1285.00 was because it's against their "investors policy to accept the past due without getting the next payment also." A supervisor told her this.

Help?

sounds SOP. Did she talk to them before going late on the last month's payment? Perhaps there is a department she can call at WAMU for a work-out arrangement? You might want to ask this question in the mortgage forum too.

What does the contract say about partial payments (which is what is being attempted here)??? Absent language that grants permission to make a partial payment when in default, I am not aware of a banking statute that obligates a lender to take less than the full amount due and owing at a particular period. Grace periods do not change the fact that the July payment is past due...grace periods just mean no late fee will be assessed.

Barring everything else, maybe try flowers.

I'm going to loan her the money (just go to Wamu and pay the whole amount due myself and she can send me a check for the money when she has it) but still, seems like B.S.

With today's crappy economy, you'd figure they'd be happy that she is trying to pay. I understand the fact that she is past due, but a grace period is a grace period. You'd think they would allow her to catch up just on the grounds where they don't have to potentially face another foreclosure. She even offered to give them the past due today, and give them the authorization to debit her account on the 15th for the other payment. They want both today or nothing.

No wonder the housing market is total crap.

What does the contract say about partial payments (which is what is being attempted here)??? Absent language that grants permission to make a partial payment when in default, I am not aware of a banking statute that obligates a lender to take less than the full amount due and owing at a particular period. Grace periods do not change the fact that the July payment is past due...grace periods just mean no late fee will be assessed.

Barring everything else, maybe try flowers.

I have no idea. She'd have to go look. We're in different states. But, still, even if they don't allow partial payments they could at least do it as a courtesy or something. She's had this mortgage for 10 years and this is her first time being late. She just spent $5K to get a new A/C system put in because the other one crapped out and she's a gov. employee so she's not rolling in money and that's the only reason she had to skip a payment.

Flowers.... :lol:

i've rcvd dunning calls as early as 8:30 in the morning (even on weekends) if i don't get to the payment to us bank on the 1st. a ca can't call before 9, but an oc can dunn a customer who is not in default as early and often as they want (total bs). btw my payment isn't late until the 15th.

glad things got worked out, but seriously something wrong when you are treated w/more rights as bad debt than a paying customer.

My mother in law is behind on her mortgage by one month. She hit the 30 day past due mark on July 1. She skipped June's payment because she had to get a new air conditioner. She tried to pay it today online and it won't let her pay the past due payment only. Her mortgage is due on the 1st of every month. So, she logged in online and it says she has to pay the past due payment, PLUS the current payment which is still within the 10 day grace period since today is July 5th. Technically, she has until July 15 to pay before being considered "late" or having any fee's.

So, since she can't pay online, she called customer service. They REFUSED her house payment that is 30 days past due. They told her she has to pay the past due PLUS the payment that was due July 1 for this month. Her July payment isn't past due until July 10th. :lol:

Can they legally refuse her payments? She's not in a banking area that has a Wamu anywhere near by so going to the branch isn't going to work, plus they told her they would not accept the payment at the branch. She called my wife because here in GA we have Wamu's everywhere so we can go to a branch. The thing is, is this even legal? She has a 30 year fixed FHA backed loan with them.

Here's the cliff notes:

They won't let her pay the $1200.00. They told her to either pay $2400.00 or they won't take ANY payment from her. Can't pay online unless she pays $2400.00. She was going to pay today $1285.00 which is the past due amount and the late fee. Then she was going to pay the other $1200.00 on the 15th.

WTF? This just doesn't seem legal. The "reason" they told her they won't accept just the $1285.00 was because it's against their "investors policy to accept the past due without getting the next payment also." A supervisor told her this.

Help?

Not trying to be harsh but.....so she skipped a payment to buy an air conditioner? If I were WAMU I think I'd foreclose. Air conditioning is a luxury item not a life requirement. Perhaps a Financial Management courses should be given to her ASAP!

Mail it. If she gets paper statements, get the June bill out and mail it. Bet ya a dollar they accept it and cash the check.

Then, on the 15th, mail the July payment, or if the June check has cleared her bank, she'll probably be ok to make that one online.

Or, if she will have the money on the 15th anyway, just wait til then and make both payments at once. They're not going to start foreclosure by then, and she's already got a 30-day late on her CR... nothing will change (except maybe another late fee) if she makes both payments on the 15th as opposed to the 5th.

Not trying to be harsh but.....so she skipped a payment to buy an air conditioner? If I were WAMU I think I'd foreclose. Air conditioning is a luxury item not a life requirement. Perhaps a Financial Management courses should be given to her ASAP!

Foreclosing over one late payment, whatever the reason, isn't good financial management either, from the lender's standpoint. Especially in today's real estate market and the glut of empty homes sitting on the market.

Foreclosing over one late payment, whatever the reason, isn't good financial management either, from the lender's standpoint. Especially in today's real estate market and the glut of empty homes sitting on the market.

I totally agree. But I was just soo shocked that someone would skip a house payment for such a frivalous reason. Wow!

So, since she can't pay online, she called customer service. They REFUSED her house payment that is 30 days past due. They told her she has to pay the past due PLUS the payment that was due July 1 for this month. Her July payment isn't past due until July 10th. :huh:

Here's the cliff notes:

Help?

WTF AC is a luxury? You are wrong... I am in the AC trade (Pipefitter) and I deal with plenty of people who need AC for health reasons. It is not a luxury IMO

i didn't want to be mean, but was thinking the same thing. why not pay the mort and wait until this month to get the ac fixed, instead of putting the ac first and getting a 30 day?

sounds like the cash was there to handle things just weren't prioritized the way most of us would have juggled them.

fwiw, i don't think we've ran the ac o total of 2 weeks so far this year. windows and ceiling fans doing just fine.

So, since she can't pay online, she called customer service. They REFUSED her house payment that is 30 days past due. They told her she has to pay the past due PLUS the payment that was due July 1 for this month. Her July payment isn't past due until July 10th. :huh:

Here's the cliff notes:

Help?

WTF AC is a luxury? You are wrong... I am in the AC trade (Pipefitter) and I deal with plenty of people who need AC for health reasons. It is not a luxury IMO

That A/C will do you alot of good when your living under a freway overpass! ;-) I live in California and have not run my a/c once yet this year. Open the windows and use a fan.

it will be 111 today and I would think a/c is not a lux item...unless you live in Ontario.

Here's the cliff notes:

Help?

Whoa, in many places in the united states the summer heat can become so intense that people without air conditioning sometimes die. Heat related deaths in the summer are not uncommon. In fact in 1993, 118 people died during a heat wave in the US. I dont see air conditioning as a luxury.

Who cares about the AC? That's history. Just drop that discussion. It's pointless and serves OP no good.

If the minimum due on a credit card is $15 then that is the minimum that must be paid. You can't pay $6.92.

Sounds like in this case, the minimum due is $2400. You might think that is a large number, so they should take half of it. But the fact is it's the absolute minimum due.

Edited by Xecuter2

it will be 111 today and I would think a/c is not a lux item...unless you live in Ontario.

You must live in that Desert they call the Inland Empire? I am more costal. If it gets 111 in the majority of California then god help us all!

You must live in that Desert they call the Inland Empire? I am more costal. If it gets 111 in the majority of California then god help us all!

I live in the smoking section of California...

+1

My thoughts too, she may have the A/C but if she doesn't have the house then what did that accomplish? I do not care where you live and A/C is not more important then your mortgage payment. She could have gotten a window unit to tide her by until she saved up for a central unit.

+1

My thoughts too, she may have the A/C but if she doesn't have the house then what did that accomplish? I do not care where you live and A/C is not more important then your mortgage payment. She could have gotten a window unit to tide her by until she saved up for a central unit.

98.4F at 9:08 a.m. :huh:

The entire heating/cooling system crapped out. Its 90 deg. and she's 60 years old. She had to replace the AC unit, everything. It cost her $5K and she makes $32K a year. $5K is a lot of money when you make $32K a year but she's had the same job for 30 years. She works for the DoD. She only has a mortgage payment and that's it. Shes rather frugal. Doesn't even have cable. My father in law passed away 5 years ago and she wanted to sell the house but can't without taking a loss because of the crappy economy. She was going to get an apartment but since her house is so old and outdated (1970's look) its a hard sell. She'd have to spend a lot of money to make it a desirable home.

Anyways, that's not the issue. She had to do what she had to do. Regardless, it's total B.S. that they won't take her payment at all. She'll be caught up on the 15th of this month, yet they won't take a payment? Its not like she's 90 days past due or anything like that. 1st late payment in 10 years since she's had the mortgage. She didn't notify them but the way it sounds I don't think they would have cared. They're treating her like a dead beat that has never paid a bill on time when in fact she's never been late before. Major things happen in life that can cause grief to almost anyone.

It should be illegal what they are doing to her. It really should. If they let her pay right now, and then make the next payment on the 15th, she would only be 30 past due, and all caught up on the 15th. There wouldn't even be another late fee if she pays by the 15th or another past due 30 mark on her credit.

Wamu sucks. :)

The entire heating/cooling system crapped out. Its 90 deg. and she's 60 years old. She had to replace the AC unit, everything. It cost her $5K and she makes $32K a year. $5K is a lot of money when you make $32K a year but she's had the same job for 30 years. She works for the DoD. She only has a mortgage payment and that's it. Shes rather frugal. Doesn't even have cable. My father in law passed away 5 years ago and she wanted to sell the house but can't without taking a loss because of the crappy economy. She was going to get an apartment but since her house is so old and outdated (1970's look) its a hard sell. She'd have to spend a lot of money to make it a desirable home.

Anyways, that's not the issue. She had to do what she had to do. Regardless, it's total B.S. that they won't take her payment at all. She'll be caught up on the 15th of this month, yet they won't take a payment? Its not like she's 90 days past due or anything like that. 1st late payment in 10 years since she's had the mortgage. She didn't notify them but the way it sounds I don't think they would have cared. They're treating her like a dead beat that has never paid a bill on time when in fact she's never been late before. Major things happen in life that can cause grief to almost anyone.

It should be illegal what they are doing to her. It really should. If they let her pay right now, and then make the next payment on the 15th, she would only be 30 past due, and all caught up on the 15th. There wouldn't even be another late fee if she pays by the 15th or another past due 30 mark on her credit.

Wamu sucks. :)

This story just gets more sad. So 10 year history and no lates. Must have a clean credit report. Perhaps she could have financed that a/c repair and saved herself and you alot of grief. Please direct her to this board so she can learn for future life events!