Sign in to follow this  
Vankat

Have I hit the JACKPOT????

After weeks of sitting in front of my computer and staring at my credit reports, my eyes caught something very big. I found a couple of old BofA statements and put them on my desk last night. For some reason this morning I realized the account number is totally different than the account number the credit reports show. This is my most current and worst derog on my reports. Can I actually dispute as wrong account number and get this TL deleted?? I don't want to get too exited too soon. What do you think?

the account numbers of reports are scrambled to prevent anyone from trying to steal the real account number

the account numbers of reports are scrambled to prevent anyone from trying to steal the real account number

Scrambled? I always thought they were partially masked, not scrambled.

For instance, say your account number is 12345678987654321. The bureau would show 123456789XXXXXXXX, right?

All three reports show exact same number with the exeption of a few digits left off of the end, and I can see with a quick look that two numbers on my actual account number don't show in the report account number. By the way, TransUnion is showing a full account number.

I think the only company that actually "scrambles" or puts an account number that doesnt match the one on your card is Amex.

Gonna check my BofA cards to my report now. BRB.

For instance, say your account number is 12345678987654321. The bureau would show 123456789XXXXXXXX, right?

Sometimes they partially mask and sometimes they scramble.

Are the accounts showing as TLs from the OC, or are they showing up as CAs?

The CAs will assign their own account number.

Regardless, it doesn't hurt to try.

Sometimes they partially mask and sometimes they scramble.

thank you. To the OP, I apologize for not being more precise.

In short, a dispute based on such a matter will not go well.

Can I ask why you think that? Do you think BofA will correct the account number? And yes, it is the original TL from BofA. Midland has the collection :angry: with a different account number.

Can I ask why you think that? Do you think BofA will correct the account number? And yes, it is the original TL from BofA. Midland has the collection :angry: with a different account number.

the number is scrambled or masked for your protection. I've seen people try this dispute in the past. In the CRA's credit FILE on you the account number is correct. Only when a REPORT is generated from your FILE are the account numbers altered. Surely there is a more fruitful tack to take?

Ok, I won't hold my breath, but I just check another original creditor on my credit reports and they are reporting the correct account number......hmmm. I think I can check one more.

Just checked two more, and they are also reporting the same account numbers as I have in my files from the original creditors.

For me, just before CO, BOA changed all of the account numbers from original tradelines. I did not realize it was done until I sat down one night and compared all of my documentation. I too thought that it might be grounds for a dispute someday. But, I am betting that BOA would verify the "new" account numbers.

Where it becomes interesting, is that the one debt that has been sold has the "new" account number not the original. My thinking is for a CA, that makes having a solid paper trail less likely. I did DV the CA saying gee, I have never had an active account with that number. That is what actually prompted me to review all of my documentation. The account # change happened when I still had my head in the sand and was done very subtly. One day the corespondence just had the new number on it from BOA.

Yes I agree. I am not sure why they made the changes. I am thinking it is some kind of internal accounting for one an account is CO'd.

I am not going to use it as a dispute myself (I am well within SOL and not willing to tempt those fates yet). However, I will use account #'s to fight and confuse the CA's when they come calling.

Wow, that's exactly what they did. I just went through my documentation and they assigned debt to a CA with a "new" account number. Midland bought it in Jan and has an even different orginal account number. What's reporting to the CRA's is the assigned CA account number. I think I'm getting dizzy. But I have a dispute letter to Equifax that I was planning on putting in the mail today. I am disputing "date of

charge-off not reported", "date of last activity not reported", and "date closed not reported". Oh well, onward and upward!