Sign in to follow this  
Versacefanatic

Denied for Amex Green Card

I recently (about 2 wks ago) applied for the Amex Green Card and was denied. My fico at the time was 710 w/no baddies utilization at 12%. They didn't give me a real clear reason for denial. I called in for reconsideration and was still denied.

My question though is would I be wasting an inquiry if I applied for the Delta Gold, which is what I initially was going to do until the amex rep who took my application told me the green card was easier to get.

Advice appreciated...

Are you just trying to get in with Amex?

You can't change charge to credit and vice versa. Keep that in mind.

But yes the consensus is that the Delta is "easier;" many threads on the topic.

Are you just trying to get in with Amex?

You can't change charge to credit and vice versa. Keep that in mind.

But yes the consensus is that the Delta is "easier;" many threads on the topic.

Yes I'm just trying to get my foot in the door, didn't matter if it was charge or not. But since I was denied less than 30 days ago would I just get automatically denied again for whatever I applied for with them?

It's known that Amex uses their own scoring system. It's weird that you got rejected with that Fico score. Is that your Experian?

Delta Gold and Hilton Honors are the two easiest to get in amex. Both can be converted to blue, or blue cash, not sure about blue skymiles but can not be converted to clear.

Delta Gold and Hilton Honors are the two easiest to get in amex. Both can be converted to blue, or blue cash, not sure about blue skymiles but can not be converted to clear.

I'm going to convert my blue cash to blue skymiles. Better reward return for me with less charging.

I got denied for a Green, Blue Student, and Delta Gold

All TU pulls. My Fico was 711.

I've given up on Amex for at least 2 yrs.

I got denied for a Green, Blue Student, and Delta Gold

All TU pulls. My Fico was 711.

I've given up on Amex for at least 2 yrs.

All TU pulls? Wow. Was your EX frozen?

Yep frozen.. I called the recon # a few days after every app. I would usually get transferred around a few times.

Reasons were:

-Too many inq's (by the 3rd time)

- Risk score too low

- Not enough established credit

- Not utilizing credit obligations (something along those lines)

- Too many new accounts

It's known that Amex uses their own scoring system. It's weird that you got rejected with that Fico score. Is that your Experian?

yes experian, actually the score was 702 that day not 710--my bad, but still

but is it too soon for me to apply for the amex delta or amex gold, since i just applied for that green a couple of wks ago?

or should i go for it?

Have you tried the AMEX pre-selector to see if you're pre-approved for anything?

Thank you for your recent application for the American Express® Preferred Rewards Green Card. We value your desire to establish a relationship with us. We regret that we are unable to approve your request for the following reason(s):

Your American Express Acquisition Risk Score is too high (See below)

Your application was processed using our American Express Proprietary Acquisition Risk Scoring System which assigns a numerical value to the various items of information we consider in evaluating an application. Your application's total score exceeded our threshold for approval at this time. Listed below are the reasons that you did not score well compared with other applicants. (For reasons based on information in a credit report, the name of the consumer reporting agency is identified.)

Too many accounts with balances (Experian)

Number, type, and recency of inquiries (Experian)

Number of closed accounts (Experian)

Length of time accounts have been established (Experian)

Our credit decision was based in whole or in part on information obtained in a report from the consumer reporting agency(ies) listed in this letter. Please understand that the reporting agency(ies) played no part in our decision and cannot supply you with specific reasons why we denied credit to you. You have a right under the Fair Credit Reporting Act to obtain a free copy of your report from the reporting agency, if you request it no later than 60 days after you receive this notice. If you find that any information contained in the report you receive is inaccurate or incomplete, you have the right to dispute the matter with the reporting agency.

An important notice concerning your rights is included. The creditor is American Express Centurion Bank.

It has been our experience that applicants who do not meet our basic requirements at one time may qualify later on. We invite you to submit a new application at a later date when your circumstances have changed.

Thank you for your interest in our service.

but is it too soon for me to apply for the amex delta or amex gold, since i just applied for that green a couple of wks ago?

or should i go for it?

The gold charge? Why would you go for the gold if you got denied for the green? Did you try to reconsider?

I don't know Amex's application policy. Some make you wait 30-60 days.

yes experian, actually the score was 702 that day not 710--my bad, but still

But many feel they don't use the "Fico" score and that they have their own scoring system.

or should i go for it?

The gold charge? Why would you go for the gold if you got denied for the green? Did you try to reconsider?

I called in for reconsideration but was told no. Which one would you go for after being denied for the green?

Should I wait 30 days?

Edited by Versacefanatic

or should i go for it?

I called in for reconsideration but was told no. Which one would you go for after being denied for the green?

Should I wait 30 days?

Ummm.... I don't know. I never wanted the Amex charge card (don't like the annual fees). From earlier threads, it seems most people say the Delta is the easiest. After they get accepted, they convert it.

If you don't mind me asking why do you want an Amex? If you want a Amex in your pocket you can get one from Citi or Bank of America, and some other lenders.

With the risk score having been cited, I would hold off for a while before reapplying. Address the factors clearly stated in the letter...

Think of the Risk Score in the same vein as the PFICO bankcard-enhanced score...it is a different model that produces (in some cases) a score that can vary significantly from a classic FICO model.

*Inquiries is pretty obvious...and unfortunately, on EXP, only time will cure that problem

*Number of accounts with a balance gets back to the ratio factor that people have argued with me about and tried to say doesn't matter

*Closed accounts??? Beats the hell out of me, never seen that used by anyone

*Age...again, pretty obvious.

What it suggests is that AXP may be trending back to what they used to be- a relatively conservative lender looking for stability, not a person potentially fresh out of recovery on past problems *or* who has a relatively young file in terms of average age.

Have you tried the AMEX pre-selector to see if you're pre-approved for anything?

\

where would i find that at?

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=322856

It's a sticky above.

Shi* I wish I had known about this before I applied and got denied :D

thanks anyway though

You can still try it though. From what I've read it's a soft pull.

Edited by 5ofus

Shi* I wish I had known about this before I applied and got denied :)

I just tried the pre-selector and it "preapproved" me for the card I was denied for two days ago. :lol: If they weren't going to give me the card then, they aren't going to give it to me now, preapproval or not.

So don't feel bad about missing this - the preapproval wouldn't have been a guarantee anyway.