Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Starbucks closing 600 stores...

I know this probably doesn't belong here, but...

It'll be that much more inconvenient for us to make that first purchase, eh?

I'm 26 - and probably still to young to gauge how the economy has done over the years, but everything just seems terrible lately.

I'm getting by okay - but I'm not exactly out painting the town red (to keep my checking account out of it), and I'm really lucky if I can toss $100 into my savings at the end of the month.

Rice shortages, tomato recalls, foreclosures, soaring fuel prices - people are buying less and less, and prices are going up and up - especially on "basics" like rice, cereal, milk, eggs, paper products, etc...

Things seemed pretty peachy in the late 90s and around 2000 from what I recall - when I really didn't care... is there ANY way to tell when things will settle down; or any hope for things becoming reasonable again?

In late 1999, I specifically remember driving by a gas station. They wanted 99 cents a gallon, which was a damn good deal compared to the $1.29 a gallon down the street.

I would love to buy a house before I'm 30 - but I'm not sure how realistic that will become, or what any of this will mean in two, three or four years...

Here's my take:

The future is unknown and unknowable. The best you can do is try to save more money and do your best to pay the cards off in full should you end up using them in case of some emergency. Hopefully, you've got some savings to help you in those cases. Just remember, when you're broke, you're richer than everyone else who's in debt.

All that being said, we don't really want things to settle down. That would be stagnant; not really a good thing. As for things being reasonable again? Depends on how you define it. My guess is the election won't have too much of an impact, regardless of who wins - except maybe for a quick drop in the market, simply because the market hates uncertainty. But, it will also pick right back up - maybe even a lot, due to the large number of people who have pulled out, worried about what the market will do.

Make no mistake - it's a very interesting time in our country. A lot of conspiracy theories are out there - and some are crazy, yet potentially life changing if true. Everyone knows there's controversy over our food supply - GMOs, CAFOs, Organics, Roundup, Natural Pesticides, Global Warming/Climate Change, BPA impact on human health, and a zillion more crazy things that were looked at with promise and hope that are now shadowed with sad stories of lives being cut short or altered terribly.

Some say life has always been like this, we just didn't have the media coverage. Some say it's never been like this and these are the beginning of "the end times".

You just have to look at everything as a whole and think for yourself.

We're all going to die sometime of something. Just have to think about how you want to live and what's going to make your time a better experience.

^^GOOD. :yahoo:

Try Dunkin. You'll like it.

:clapping:

:yahoo:

- Post 4 11/5/16

**gonna get a Medium Iced Coffee. French Vanilla/Hazelnut mix. Slight extra flavor shot of each. Extra liquid sugar, extra cream, and shaken not stirred for about 20 swirls of the hand.. My own signature touch. Want to show off, or be in heaven? One pump Caramel syrup add.

Starsuxks? :rofl:

Agree. At least North America, they are over-saturated and need to be proactive to stay ahead of the market. They'll still be just about everywhere and loyal customers won't have to go very far to get their starbucks fix. As hegemony posted in that link, no worries for investors, starbucks is doing just fine and poised to continue doing well.

SBUX is another one I sold to early, around $35.

not as embarassing as PCLN which I sold in 2008 and thought my 50% growth was good... :(

My biggest "sold too soon" mistake was MSFT. I bought about 20k worth 6 months after the IPO when I looked at their filings and they were harvesting money but weren't much higher than the IPO. Sold 2 months later for a 50% gain. If I'd kept it the value would be about $8,000,000.

Coulda, shoulda.

On 9/8/2019 at 6:29 PM, hegemony said:

This is really depressing.  I loved that Crate & Barrel store on Michigan Avenue.  

Doubly depressing that it's now a place where you have to stand in line for hot brown water. :(

On 9/8/2019 at 4:29 PM, hegemony said:

Tourist trap. Years ago I went to a huge McDonald's nearby. Two stories with an escalator. Big, but they did a lousy job on my burger.

I used to go there 2-3 times a day because it was right down the street. It was 24 hours which was great being that I’m a night person. I rarely go after they started letting the homeless squat there all day and night. Nothing wrong with helping homeless but when they take up all the seating and ask for money on the patio when your just trying to work, it gets old fast.