Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Banco Popular

This message is 749 days old.  We'd prefer it if you'd start a new topic instead of replying to this one.

Just got a letter from them stating I have been pre-selected for their cc. Have anyone had any dealing with them?

Banco Popular is a Puerto Rican bank with some presence in select parts of the United States. They appear to offer Mastercards only.

Trivia: Before Citibank took over sponsorship, Banco Popular used to sponsor the New York Mets baseball team.

Just got a letter from them stating I have been pre-selected for their cc. Have anyone had any dealing with them?

I received one today as well. Thinking about framing it as it's pretty much the first one I've received (aside from First Premier, etc) since starting my credit repair journey. :o

Believe it is Direct Merchants HSBC, not Merrick who issues the cards. I know it used to be, and the Puerto Rican website still lists them as the issuer.

I stopped by the Banco Popular inside Walmart in Northridge. I opened a free checking account (they checked ChexSystem but didn't do a credit inquiry according to the representative). I got a couple of free gifts (a juicer and carry bag). I asked about a credit card, and the representative said they didn't offer them anymore. But on their website, there are credit cards with a number to call (888-317-9062). Anyone apply recently or know that they don't issue credit cards anymore? I'm going to call them Monday to check.

Banco Popular is one of two banks I plan on applying for credit cards this year. The other is RBC Bank USA. If Banco Popular can't be applied for, in a few months I'll pick Suntrust instead.

Edited by Burgerwars

I was approved for 1 today. 5k credit limit. Pulled Experian.

Good Luck guys. Walking and doing business with Banco Popular is like talking with family while I was there today. Well very DIFFERENT vibe since my WHOLE conversation with EVERY rep there was in SPANISH, they sound a little more humble then some Bank of America representative with a wanna be power suit, thinking he's a wall street big shot, asking you questions for a simple 500.00 transaction. LOL

:lol:

Before I get attacked, I said SOME reps at BOA, (more then 50% of them though). Compared to the Banco popular, at least at the branch I was at today, everyone of them talked to me like it they knew me for a long time (Example PENFED) reps. Great Reps. Though I HATE Penfed's UNDERWRITERS, I still think their CSR's reps are the best in the business and today's reps I dealt with at Banco Popular in person where right there with them in hospitality.

Edited by picnn

I stopped by the Banco Popular inside Walmart in Northridge. I opened a free checking account (they checked ChexSystem but didn't do a credit inquiry according to the representative). I got a couple of free gifts (a juicer and carry bag). I asked about a credit card, and the representative said they didn't offer them anymore. But on their website, there are credit cards with a number to call (888-317-9062). Anyone apply recently or know that they don't issue credit cards anymore? I'm going to call them Monday to check.

Banco Popular is one of two banks I plan on applying for credit cards this year. The other is RBC Bank USA. If Banco Popular can't be applied for, in a few months I'll pick Suntrust instead.

I went to Walmart again yesterday. Banco Popular was closed, but they did have on display on the counter Banco Popular credit card applications. I picked up a couple and it indicated that Banco Popular is the issuer (not some other bank), and that I can either fill it in and mail or call to apply. It's kind of weird the new accounts person didn't know they offered credit cards. I just applied over the phone (888-317-9062). They gave me an application number and asked me to check back in 24 hours to see if I am approved. I'll call tomorrow. If anyone else wants a card, from what information I gave them it does seem you need to be a deposit customer first, but I could be wrong. You might want to check with them first. If there isn't a branch near you, the number for new bank accounts I got off their website is 800-377-0800.

Do you have to speak Spanish to bank there? :angry:

NO you DON'T. Absolutely NOT. They ALL speak English, just that some if not all are Bilingual in Spanish that's all.

Do you have to speak Spanish to bank there? B)

no, why would you think so?

Because there are business' that cater to certain cultures. It was mentioned that it is a Puerto Rican bank and that everyone was speaking Spanish. I thought it was a fair question. I don't assume (or demand) that English be spoken everywhere.

Edited by clutchcargo

Do you have to speak Spanish to bank there? :D

Because there are businesses that cater to certain cultures. It was mentioned that it is a Puerto Rican bank and that everyone was speaking Spanish. I thought it was a fair question. I Don't assume (or demand) that English be spoken everywhere.

See, and I would expact/demand that in the United States of America, everyone should speak English. I'm all for being bilingual and all, the more we all know the better... but official or not, everything should be done in English first here.

We will not head in the direction that some folks seem intent to take this to.

Leave the discussions about language out of it. Please.

We will not head in the direction that some folks seem intent to take this to.

Leave the discussions about language out of it. Please.

My apologies... :D

Do you have to speak Spanish to bank there? :)

Because there are business' that cater to certain cultures. It was mentioned that it is a Puerto Rican bank and that everyone was speaking Spanish. I thought it was a fair question. I don't assume (or demand) that English be spoken everywhere.

I've met people who work at banco who did not speak spanish :grin:

Do you have to speak Spanish to bank there? :lol:

I've met people who work at banco who did not speak spanish :rofl:

Thanks. There doesn't seem to be any Vegas branches, so it's a moot point for me anyway.

This message is 749 days old.  We'd prefer it if you'd start a new topic instead of replying to this one.