Sign in to follow this  
Need More RWHP

WAL*MART tried to trespass me for calling them out on CC policy breach

So, I stopped by a 24 hour Wal-Mart and cashier freaking demanded an ID. I told her I don't give personal info to strangers.

Customer service manager showed up and I presented him with the official VISA policy. He states

"We don't have any agreement with VISA and our store policies take precedence over VISA and regardless of what VISA says, it's my store and I can require ID". He's obviously not aware of the policy and after spending five minutes reading through the print out, he threatened to have me trespassed by saying "I can ask you to leave the store without paying too, maybe you shouldn't be shopping at Wal-Mart".

I had him call an assistant manager who was working the night and he too said "it's store policy"and that they don't have to follow VISA rules.

I asked him to write out that his store does not have to follow VISA policies and sign it, but he refused. I think they make up rules and bully customers with BS they invent on the spot. Clearly he did not know the policy enough to be able to put it in writing.

We went back and forth for 20 minutes and I was forced to pay cash.

I don't really understand why people are so stupid and arrogant about this matter and they take it personally. It seems to me if I was working in some place and a customer tried to tell me something, unless I knew definitely and could produce documentation I would take it under advisement and say something like I'll find out etc. But most people I run into take great offense, even though I try to be very polite about it, and act like I'm insulting their own personal religion or something.

Did you ask if they had a written policy? It will be interesting to see what corporate Wal-Mart says. I've asked that they have the managers calll and give me a personal apology, and they have (not Wal-Mart, I've never had a problem there) but Lowe's and the post office have.

People don't like to be challenged in their personal fiefdom and told they're wrong. Makes them defensive just to prove a point. To be honest, it's not unlike actually carrying around VISA policy in one's wallet, just the opposite point-of-view.

As far as not knowing VISA policy, I'd bet they know. I'd bet they're just being stubborn.

Edited by Uncle Leo

I don't really understand why people are so stupid and arrogant about this matter and they take it personally. It seems to me if I was working in some place and a customer tried to tell me something, unless I knew definitely and could produce documentation I would take it under advisement and say something like I'll find out etc. But most people I run into take great offense, even though I try to be very polite about it, and act like I'm insulting their own personal religion or something.

Did you ask if they had a written policy? It will be interesting to see what corporate Wal-Mart says. I've asked that they have the managers calll and give me a personal apology, and they have (not Wal-Mart, I've never had a problem there) but Lowe's and the post office have.

The print out I mentioned is the VISA official policy. The guy spent five minutes reading back and forth, then made up a statement Wal-Mart is not under contract with VISA and they don't have to abide it. I told him to put that down on that sheet in writing and sign it. He refused.

So, I stopped by a 24 hour Wal-Mart and cashier freaking demanded an ID. I told her I don't give personal info to strangers.

Customer service manager showed up and I presented him with the official VISA policy. He states

"We don't have any agreement with VISA and our store policies take precedence over VISA and regardless of what VISA says, it's my store and I can require ID". He's obviously not aware of the policy and after spending five minutes reading through the print out, he threatened to have me trespassed by saying "I can ask you to leave the store without paying too, maybe you shouldn't be shopping at Wal-Mart".

I had him call an assistant manager who was working the night and he too said "it's store policy"and that they don't have to follow VISA rules.

I asked him to write out that his store does not have to follow VISA policies and sign it, but he refused. I think they make up rules and bully customers with BS they invent on the spot. Clearly he did not know the policy enough to be able to put it in writing.

Wow.. you know IF walmart really do have a corporate policy, that requires them ask for ID, they should ensure it is done NATIONWIDE.

Just last night, I was at walmart, and I saw with my own eyes, the Cashier ask a lady infront of me for an ID. The lady showed her ID and that was it. But when I paid, I made small talk with the cashier, and I just got off work, so I was dressed sharply, in a Suit, Tie, etc. I purchased over $100 of stuff and goodies. Did she ask me for my id???? NOOOO, she did not!@!#$!#$!!

In addition, what about the auto cashier machines, where you check yourself out. Ive used those and paid with my credit card, No once have they asked for ID.

Someone once told me, that Walmart,has a policy to ask for ID over a certain amount... Does this sound right to anyone?

But, i never mind or care, if retailers ask for ID'S. If I was a store owner, I would probably set a policy to ask for ID, at a certain amount. I understand the VISA/MASTERCARD Has Policies the require people who have merchant accounts to not demand for ID, but is VISA/MASTERCARD going to reimburse the merchant for accepting a bad credit card??? I think NOT.

The victim of credit card fraud has a ZERO liability, but not the MERCHANT. If a merchant never asks for ID, theifs would evenutally find out and wipe out the stores, and stores would acquire Great lose with no reimbusement.

Thats my two cents =o)

Oh, yeah, I forgot to ADD.,

Walmart IS under contract to follow VISA/MASTERCARD merchant services agreement.

When you accept a merchant account, it goes without saying,that you agree to their terms and conditions. But managers at the store level would not know this. The corporate offices knows im sure, but they are probably willing to take a risk, knowing that VISA is going to terminate their merchant account for asking for ID. Walmart creates HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of Dollars for VISA < overtime>.

Walmart IS under contract to follow VISA/MASTERCARD merchant services agreement.

When you accept a merchant account, it goes without saying,that you agree to their terms and conditions. But managers at the store level would not know this. The corporate offices knows im sure, but they are probably willing to take a risk, knowing that VISA is going to terminate their merchant account for asking for ID. Walmart creates HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of Dollars for VISA < overtime>.

Perhaps they can make the merchants fee less favorable at next negotiation though, if their non-compliance causes a boat load of complaints.

Also, if you were the business owner and you require ID in violation of policy and your employee was even remotely connected to misuse of customer's private info, would you voluntarily assume ALL liability?

Let's say a friend of cashier didn't like certain person and asked his cashier friend to remember his address so he can go prank them.

Are you going to assume ALL liability associated with that prank, or for that matter, misappropriation of private information obtained in the course of your employee's scope of work whether the actual mischief occurred on shift or not?

Misuse of confidential data is nothing unusual.

How do you think yet to be released softwares or other internal stuff leaks out? dishonest employees.

Edited by Need More RWHP

Perhaps they can make the merchants fee less favorable at next negotiation though, if their non-compliance causes a boat load of complaints.

Also, if you were the business owner and you require ID in violation of policy and your employee was even remotely connected to misuse of customer's private info, would you voluntarily assume ALL liability?

Let's say a friend of cashier didn't like certain person and asked his cashier friend to remember his address so he can go prank them.

Are you going to assume ALL liability associated with that prank, or for that matter, misappropriation of private information obtained in the course of your employee's scope of work whether the actual mischief occurred on shift or not?

Misuse of confidential data is nothing unusual.

How do you think yet to be released softwares or other internal stuff leaks out? dishonest employees.

Thats the risk of doing business in general! You have to weight the benefits over the cons....

I happen to Manage a large CU, and I must say,

The risk of Credit card fraud and not being reimbursed is greater than having an employee misuse a customers information.

In any business your going to have employee misuse and dishonesty. 40% of Retail shrink is caused by Employees.

In a case where an employee misuses a customer information to committ illegal acts, the company isnt automacally held 100% accountable. If the company can prove that they used reasonalble measures to protect the consumers information, provided proper training the to employee and Acted reasonably once they discovered fraud has been commited. Basically, once a business owner discovers fraud has been commited, or other illegal act, by an employee... did they act? did the company call the police and report the crime? did they take action against the employee?

Just so you know, at our CU,we require 2 forms of Id, for a VISA/MASTERCARD CASH advance. Whats the difference in making a point of sale purchase. The Visa/Master Policy doesnt specify when or when not to ask for ID, based on a point of sale or cash advance.

Most consumers, if they were taking a cash advance, woulnt not mind, being asked for ID. So, why would they mind a point of sale purchase

Edited by VPofCredit

Thats the risk of doing business in general! You have to weight the benefits over the cons....

Why should the customers bear the burden of extra risk created by businesses disregarding contractual terms that holds them accountable to following the policy so the customers can use their card as allowed in their card holder's agreement? VISA & MasterCard don't say business owners are allowed to bend the rules to make them more favorable to them at the risk of cardholders.

Since when are business owners more entitled to customers personal information than customers entitled to business owners information for comfort? If I was buying something from a small business and they want all my information to make them feel safe just in case they're screwed over, maybe I want all the personal information of the sole proprietor just in case I have a problem with the product/service and need to track him down to sue him.

I happen to Manage a large CU, and I must say,

The risk of Credit card fraud and not being reimbursed is greater than having an employee misuse a customers information.

In any business your going to have employee misuse and dishonesty. 40% of Retail shrink is caused by Employees.

In a case where an employee misuses a customer information to committ illegal acts, the company isnt automacally held 100% accountable. If the company can prove that they used reasonalble measures to protect the consumers information, provided proper training the to employee and Acted reasonably once they discovered fraud has been commited. Basically, once a business owner discovers fraud has been commited, or other illegal act, by an employee... did they act? did the company call the police and report the crime? did they take action against the employee?

Retail employees have very high turnover rates and I don't have faith in them to follow strict codes of confidentiality. The fact that employee theft is a major source of loss for the company pretty much speaks for itself that employees have a great propensity to not act in the interest of the customer or his employer.

Just so you know, at our CU,we require 2 forms of Id, for a VISA/MASTERCARD CASH advance. Whats the difference in making a point of sale purchase. The Visa/Master Policy doesnt specify when or when not to ask for ID, based on a point of sale or cash advance.

Most consumers, if they were taking a cash advance, woulnt not mind, being asked for ID. So, why would they mind a point of sale purchase

As a manager of CU, I think you are aware that CASH ADVANCE is one of the very few UNIQUE transactions that permits you to ask for government issued ID as defined in merchants manual.

Generally, do you believe that a contractual terms between your credit union and your customers shouldn't be valid as long as that customers could demonstrate that violating your policy would be in their favor?

Personally, I would not be concerned with sharing my ID with my own financial institution as they already have all my info anyways and they're trained better at protecting customer confidentiality.

I *DO* have an issue with granting access to personal information to some 16 year old punk paid minimum wage at the movie theatre or some minimum wage Wal-Mart cashier. If the business owner is refusing to accept the risk of accepting credit cards without an ID, he shouldn't have signed the contract.

(with Wal-Mart being an exception since they can pretty much bully their way through everyone)

Edited by Need More RWHP

I think the only time I've ever had to show ID at Wal-Mart was to prove I was over 17 to buy a movie. I was paying cash, but it was an R-rated movie.

Never been asked for ID for using my credit/debit/check card.

Wal Mart's self checkout prompts to check ID if the purchase is greater than $100. This software is misprogrammed by NCR (and Wal Mart isn't the only store to get this bum software) and should be getting fixed.

Also, Wal Mart randomly flags certain transactions for a signature verifification. In this case a paper slip prints for you to sign or your signature is printed on the receipt right above the return barcode. The message on the cashier screen is COMPARE SIGNATURES ON CARD AND SLIP. This is commonly, commonly, and I mean commonly confused as a prompt to check ID by many locations. However, it is not a prompt to check ID.

To the poster who proposes checking ID if the transaction is over a certain amount... okay, sure. What amount? $500? Some unusual, abnormally high amount? For those amounts it may be worth it to just make a code 10 call the routine means of authorization rather than immediately asking for ID. Remember, the crooks can make fake ID's, too. And if they are trying to spend a lot you can bet they'll be prepared. But if you do the code 10 call and get authorization that way, you are guaranteed payment no matter what happens.

You are reimbursed as a merchant for accepting a stolen card if you take all of the steps required (swipe card, match signatures, respond to chargeback). If you accept a "bad" card, then you may be on the hook. A bad card being, I don't know, a fake card... a card with a changed magnetic strip, an unsigned card, etc. Even if you asked for ID with a "bad" card, you'd still be on the hook... It makes no difference.

They didn't even push the transaction through. They demanded ID before even asking me to sign anything.

Customers shouldn't have to bear the burden of having their privacy violated to minimum wage monkeys to avoid the store losses occurring as a result of improper trained, plain dumb, or negligent employees.

What is the reason behind VISA MC policy to not require cardholder to show ID? Anyone know? Just curious?

What is the reason behind VISA MC policy to not require cardholder to show ID? Anyone know? Just curious?

Make your own thread. This isn't question the policy thread.

I wasn't trying to threadjack. I thought it was close enough to topic to ask. I just didn't understand what the big deal was with showing ID, so I was trying to understand the policy itself. Sorry...newbie mistake :unsure:

Edited by YODEE

You are very Rude!

The previous poster is more than welcome to ask questions regarding visa/master policy!....

It seems to me, you might have something to HIDE, thats why, you get offended when you are asked for ID.

I wasn't trying to threadjack. I thought it was close enough to topic to ask. I just didn't understand what the big deal was with showing ID, so I was trying to understand the policy itself. Sorry...newbie mistake :swoon:

You are more than welcome to ask questions! and your particular question, IS relevant to the topic!.. That posted is just upset for some ODD reason.

That is what CB is all about, asking , sharing, and giving advice on varies of questions!>..

You are very Rude!

The previous poster is more than welcome to ask questions regarding visa/master policy!....

It seems to me, you might have something to HIDE, thats why, you get offended when you are asked for ID.

HOW RUDE. If I don't let them violate my rights, then I have something to hide?

It seems to me you think they shouldn't have to follow rules they disagree with, you admitted thus far that if you're a business owner, you'd violate the policy you don't agree with, so I'm not surprised.

Immediately call 1-800-VISA-911. Make sure that horribly-behaving Walmart shapes-up and never asks for ID again.

Never show ID for signed credit card purchases.

No ID required for signed credit card purchases. Merchants cannot require ID.

If a merchant tries to require ID, immediately call 1-800-VISA-911 to ensure they never do again.

VISA: 1-800-VISA-911

MasterCard: 1-800-300-3069

Also easily report merchant violations online at:

http://www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/c...violations.html

Check the box that says "Merchant required ID"

Never show ID for signed credit card purchases.

No ID required for signed credit card purchases.

Make sure your community is 100% violation-free. B)

Visa or Mastercard will not do anything against Wal-mart. They are too scared of them. They lost a lawsuit (Which I think they should of keep fighting) that Wal-mart & other retailers filed against them.

Visa or Mastercard will not do anything against Wal-mart. They are too scared of them. They lost a lawsuit (Which I think they should of keep fighting) that Wal-mart & other retailers filed against them.

Just curious - what lawsuit are you refering to?

Just curious - what lawsuit are you refering to?

http://www.out-law.com/page-2668

Nytimes

Even through it is not on those website, Visa and Mastercard did settle instead of fighting it.

so..... after reading this, i'm wondering....

who carries the VISA/MC policies around with them?

seriously.

so..... after reading this, i'm wondering....

who carries the VISA/MC policies around with them?

seriously.

I do :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

1. JessieLyn
      JessieLyn
    2. LalaPed
      LalaPed
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    mekarobinson
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines