Mysterious Deposit into my BOA checking account. Scam ?

The last post in this topic was posted 4872 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I guess not. If you gave that money to me then changed your mind and wanted it back.. You couldn't walk in and get the bank to withdraw it out of my account and hand it to you...

But that's not what happened. It seems it was a clerical error. And when banks make mistakes, they're allowed to fix them. Just like the IRS -- if you get a tax overpayment, they're entitled to take it back too.

Toopoor's scenario sounds dead-on to me.

would you have closed the account in a panic or waited 24 hours to find out what happened? I probably woulda waited, although that's easy to say when i'm reading the events after they happen and have more information than the 'it's a scam' comments from the 'who called' lookup on the number. (the who called sites are becoming less useful because too many people jump to the conclusion that every caller is a CA or a scammer)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a lawyer, don't play one on TV, and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

BUT, it seems to me that unjust enrichment would come into play here.

Bob

"Unjust Enrichment"?

As I said, I'm not a lawyer.

I usually expect centex or marcustx to correct me. <_<

Bob

Just wanted you to elaborate!

I guess not. If you gave that money to me then changed your mind and wanted it back.. You couldn't walk in and get the bank to withdraw it out of my account and hand it to you...

But that's not what happened. It seems it was a clerical error. And when banks make mistakes, they're allowed to fix them. Just like the IRS -- if you get a tax overpayment, they're entitled to take it back too.

would you have closed the account in a panic or waited 24 hours to find out what happened? I probably woulda waited, although that's easy to say when i'm reading the events after they happen and have more information than the 'it's a scam' comments from the 'who called' lookup on the number. (the who called sites are becoming less useful because too many people jump to the conclusion that every caller is a CA or a scammer)

I didn't close the account yet. I just froze it. My first panic thought was to close it and of course post on CB. lol. I questioned scam because of the comments on Google even though I had read the links and the "scams" were people who were actually getting checks in the mail. Not mysteriously deposited into their accounts.

I wouldn't say Clerical Error. More like Teller not doing their job correctly and and looking up someone's account info without any sort of verification.

I did some more digging. Come to find out the people's last name on that check (besides the academy)are also a popular name around here and the state the deposit was made. I used this website which is pretty freaky because it shows you people's names, and cities they've lived in and people they're connected to. http://www.e-locate.info/

The last name the bank told me also has a "relative" who has a "relative" with my same exact name except there's a 20yr age difference. Both are connected in my state and the state and city that deposit was made and where the academy is.

So yeah, someone had to have gone to the bank and had them look up *my name* and the teller probably filled out the deposit slip. If they don't catch it, I wouldn't mind keeping the money out of spite. (although I'm sure someone would just go to the bank and show the deposit slip and they'd trace it anyway) Who goes into a bank and says "Deposit this check into SoAndSo's account" and what kind of salamander teller pulls up the first account with that name/city/state and deposits without at least asking any sort of verification information like their birthdate? Surely they could've called the other me up and gotten their bdate or last 4 digits of social if they had to....if this is what happened.

Sounds like a certain teller should be fired.

I'm not a lawyer, don't play one on TV, and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

BUT, it seems to me that unjust enrichment would come into play here.

Bob

"Unjust Enrichment"?

As I said, I'm not a lawyer.

I usually expect centex or marcustx to correct me. :lol:

Bob

Just wanted you to elaborate!

Wikipedia entry for "unjust enrichment"

Unjust enrichment is a legal term in English law and in several other jurisdictions, denoting a particular type of causative event in which one party is unjustly enriched at the expense of another, and an obligation to make restitution arises, regardless of liability for wrongdoing.

Example

A typical example of a claim based on unjust enrichment is that of payment by mistake. Imagine that customer B is accidentally given $10 too much change by shopkeeper A. B does not notice the mistake. There is no way that B can be accused of any wrongdoing. Nonetheless, the law imposes an obligation on B to repay $10 to A. This is because B has been unjustly enriched by $10 by A’s payment. Unjust enrichment, if proved, always triggers an obligation to make restitution. It never triggers an obligation to pay compensation because such an obligation might leave the defendant, who is normally entirely innocent, out of pocket.

When I called the bank questioning this deposit. They actually tried to CONVINCE me that I must've overpaid on a bill somewhere and that's what this deposit is from. I wonder if that can work in my favor.

"oops, well I use billpay all the time, so I assumed the CSR knew what she was talking about just like I would assume that a teller can't look up a name and allow someone to make a transaction without proper verification"

The last name the bank told me also has a "relative" who has a "relative" with my same exact name except there's a 20yr age difference. Both are connected in my state and the state and city that deposit was made and where the academy is.

So yeah, someone had to have gone to the bank and had them look up *my name* and the teller probably filled out the deposit slip. If they don't catch it, I wouldn't mind keeping the money out of spite. (although I'm sure someone would just go to the bank and show the deposit slip and they'd trace it anyway) Who goes into a bank and says "Deposit this check into SoAndSo's account" and what kind of salamander teller pulls up the first account with that name/city/state and deposits without at least asking any sort of verification information like their birthdate? Surely they could've called the other me up and gotten their bdate or last 4 digits of social if they had to....if this is what happened.

Sounds like a certain teller should be fired.

Who goes into a bank and deposits a 3rd party check into someone else's account? (I'm surprised its not in violation of the partiot act. :mellow: )

My hypothesis: The relative (with your name and state) was paying tuition for the depositor and the depositor wanted the refund returned to the relative... its easier to just deposit the money directly into their acct, rather than cashing it and writing a check. Except when the teller screws up.

I used this website which is pretty freaky because it shows you people's names, and cities they've lived in and people they're connected to. http://www.e-locate.info/

wow that site is crazy..i might have to pop for the $10 just to look myself up!

Yeah... it sure is. They have us linked to people who used to live at our address, says our landlords were possible roommates, my son is listed with an oh and nj address (he never lived in nj). My daughter is connected to her inlaws but not her husband. Actually i think the one is supposed to be her hubby - but they have his age as the same as her FIL. (They have similar names but aren't jr/sr). But now i know why i keep getting stuff for my 25 yr old daughter for medicare coverage - they have her as 69. They have addresses from 30 yr ago for DH, but only back 20 for me.

It makes me wonder how many CAs called people listed as our possible relatives or roommates when they were looking for us...

I used this website which is pretty freaky because it shows you people's names, and cities they've lived in and people they're connected to. http://www.e-locate.info/

When we were looking for a house to buy, I signed up for a MyFICO service that gives information about houses. You enter the address and it gives all kinds of information about that house. But, every house I tried, turned out to be one of the few houses not in their database. I kept trying house after house but never found any that were in that MyFICO database. And the money for the service was non-refundable.

I guess they found it. I guess I"m just lucky that the "cashed check" is the same amount as the deposited check and not a penny more.

Pending CASHED CHECK HOLD ON

05/16 Debit Pending

Called and asked about it to see what they say. AGAIN BOA is telling me that I did this because my name is on it, my account number and it looks as if I deposited it and withdrawled it.

I'm still pissed off. So I guess now that they probably have my account number they still could easily make another "cashed check" withdrawl. And yeah, so much for my account being "frozen". I wanted it frozen until I got some answers and I still don't have any. Even if it's a legitimate mistake, someone still needs to be fired for not doing their job correctly.

I used to be a teller for Citibank and Wells Fargo in my college days. There are many different ways that a check could easily be deposited incorrectly. Always double check your deposits, withdrawals, payments etc... As some of you have mentioned, a lot people come into the banks without account information. Usually we'll look it up by SS# (of course being indentified at first.) Unless it's a regular customer that is known, these are small red flags that should put the teller on alert from the get go. Epecially when new hire. With so many Fake ID's it's a normal precaution.

The check from the information that you gave could be a financial aid check to the student (that has your name and lives in your area). This is very common with major banks. If I were to look up John Smith or Elizabeth Adams for example in (San Francisco, CA) in our BOA database I would more than likely get between 10-30 or even more hits. Now the check could have been sent from the school to students bank/branch. Or the student brought the check in without her account info on hand and teller looked it up and incorrectly placed it into your account. Or the student placed it in the night drop without much account info (which happens a alot) and the teller had to do the leg work and incorrectly placed it into your account. Another possiblity (when branches get busy) from time to time you will see peronal bankers/managers get up and ask for any direct deposits from people in line because the line is being held up by longer transactions or they are short staffed of tellers. Confusion can come from those deposits too (not all the time, but can) because what happens the PB or Manager will get the information and then stack them up to distribute to the tellers to do when the rush has ended.

What you did so far is good. Block they account of DEBITS only or you can do the FULL freeze of debits and credits. I think you said you did a full freeze, which is fine. This is more than likely something minor and to close your accounts and reorganize all your debits/bill pays/ autopay/ outstanding checks can be a mess. Try to resolve this first, before you close your account. This will probably be corrected by this coming Monday and you can remove the hold and continue on like you were before.

This is what you should do:

Go to your branch and talk to a service officer, teller, personal banker, or any manger. Any of them can do this. Explain to them that a deposit has been made in your account and that you are unware of the deposit and that it is highly unlikely not yours. What they should do, is go to your account, look at your transaction journal. The journal will show your deposit amount, date, branch it was made in and the teller who made it. They should call that branch and speak to the teller to see if they can remember that specific deposit. When I was a teller I was really good at remembering my transactions, even when days passed. The teller will scan back on their system to see where this deposit came from. Whether it was a night drop, mailed deposits, or customer walk in. The teller will more than likely order a copy of the deposit slip and check, and back track it. If your name matches the payee but the addresses are wrong (then they would find the mistake). If it's just your name on the payee part and nothing else. They would need to contact the Academy (The business where the check is from) and contact account payables to see who this check was really intended for. Unless they remembered the customer that just happened to have your name too and corrected it then.

As for them not seeing this mistake by now. It happens, people are too busy to check their account or assume it's there. Or think it's on hold and are just giving it a couple of days. If this is a legitimate check, this will be found witin the next couple of days. Had you spent the money, the bank would debit your account of the funds or freeze your accounts until paid. I know you said you were playing, but I'm just letting you know what the procedures are FYI.

Edited by Venomized

Had a similar problem last week with hubby's paycheck, instead of depositing it threw the ATM he went inside. He didn't have the account number so the teller looked it up for him. She did not ID him for depositing the check, nor for finding his account number. She found someone else with the same name and used that account number. About 12 hrs later I was doing bills and noticed the balance wasn't right. Called hubby he said yes I deposited it, I asked him fro the account #'s on the deposit slip and they didn't match. Went to the bank when they opened and about 20 mins later it was fixed. Still blows my mind that they didn't ID him, didn't ask for his SS#, and didn't match the address on his paycheck to the address on file.

Guest Bree82
e-locate.info

whoa. that site is like really scary. it gave me my past 6 addresses, my parents names and ages and my brothers name and age... i dont think i like it much...

You don't have to. I just typed in my name in the free search and I'm a bit freaked out by all of the info that came up.... my past addresses, wrong spelling on my cr that i fought to correct, my ex's name and age, and other info including 17 hits on active criminal searches (Outstanding Warrants, Most Wanted Posters, Dead Beat Dad 's, Unsolved Cases, D.E.A., & Goverment's Most Wanted, Missing Persons, Probation & Parole Absconders, D.O.C. Escapees.) Being that I've NEVER broken a law or gotten any tickets or anything related to that stuff in my life... I'm somewhat curious.

Edited by labellamental

I agree with this 100%. Close everything and perhaps even switch banks, freeze your reports if you can, then keep a close eye on everything for a while.

Since LikeItOrNot already has reached the fraud folks at BOA and was advised that the way that BOA chooses to deal with these problems is to have the account holder close out the account, then that's the answer.

:good:

the filled out deposit slip with your information is the deal breaker. close the account asap. even if BofA is responsible for any loss (since you notified them), the hassle of dealing with it would be enormous..and even if they eventually returned any money fraudulently withdrawn, it might take a very very long time.

You might also put a freeze on each of your credit reports. Do you have any idea where someone may have gotten your name/info?

I would be super vigilant about all of your accounts for the next 3-6 months.

I guess what's so odd about this case is that it's an actual deposit and not a withdrawl.

Tellers are less vigilant about giving out account details for a deposit. They may have been using the (untraceable check) deposit to get your info. How much was the deposit for?

e-locate.info

whoa. that site is like really scary. it gave me my past 6 addresses, my parents names and ages and my brothers name and age... i dont think i like it much...

Cripes. That's just completely tripping me out for some reason.

I'm not going to order the full access, I don't think I'd sleep tonight. LOL

e-locate.info

Cripes. That's just completely tripping me out for some reason.

I'm not going to order the full access, I don't think I'd sleep tonight. LOL

That is an insane stalking tool. Not like I'd use it (no one is lucky enough to have me as a stalker :rolleyes: ), but I searched my name and NOTHING came up. But when I searched my father's name, the name of everyone in my whole extended family on my dad's side came up, with all kinds of info.

I wonder why I didn't show up though. Good, but weird.

The last post in this topic was posted 4872 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.