Mysterious Deposit into my BOA checking account. Scam ?

The last post in this topic was posted 4872 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also - could it be "Academy" the Sporting goods store? Not "an Academy" like a school or something......

No, it's a school. I Google'd it. BOA gave me the address on the check and that and the name matches the school in FL. There were also other names on the check besides the school name.

The only other thing I can come up with is if that deposit was intended for someone else with my name who also happens to have a BOA account . Maybe they got a stupid teller that had no problem looking up a person's name and address and making a deposit.

But even that doesn't explain why the billing compnay is saying that it was a withdrawl, not a deposit.

Since LikeItOrNot already has reached the fraud folks at BOA and was advised that the way that BOA chooses to deal with these problems is to have the account holder close out the account, then that's the answer.

Banks used to take more responsibility for unauthorized withdrawals which were attempted or completed from accounts, but I'll agree with you that with e-checks, they don't see signatures and so forth on those transactions.

In any case, it's yet another reason why keeping reasonably current with what transactions are posting on banking and credit accounts is prudent.

Just think about depositors who perhaps don't even review their account records monthly, much less more often than that.

ID theft can strip out a whole lotta money pretty quickly, or worse if it's not caught promptly and therefore is allowed to go undetected over a period of time.

+1

LikeItOrNot, if you have any autopays set up with creditors, remember to discuss with BOA about those -- that those creditors will each need to be notified by you to change their records for you so that they will henceforth submit their e-checks to the new checking account number.

Also, not to be pessimistic, but if it were me I would definitely still provide a letter to BOA.

It has been known to happen that e-checks drawn on an OLD account number get automatically migrated over to be deducted from the NEW account. In normal circumstances, that's convenient for your established creditors and for you -- but if the bank would do that in this case, then what's the advantage to you to close out your existing account number and to change to a new one for the objective of blocking any fraud activity?

I'd say, make it a very brief, direct letter, roughly addressing the topics of:

A deposit was made into my account ending in XXXX on May 14 (or yesterday or whatever date you saw this) which is not mine and does not belong to me.

On May 14, 2008 I called [Mr. John Doe, Ms. Mary Smith] in Bank of America's fraud department and was advised to close that account due to fraud prevention purposes.

Do not honor ANY withdrawals submitted to the old account which ends in XXXX except for this one-time transfer today of my own funds on deposit to the new checking account. All other withdrawal attempts, if any, submitted to the prior account number are not authorized to be rolled over to the replacement checking account which is being opened today.

Sincerely,

LikeItOrNot

Sorry that you've had this giant hassle happen but it's really good that you caught it right away instead of not until maybe several days or weeks down the road, and perhaps after fraudulent withdrawals or payouts would have been attempted.

I am no expert - but closing this checking account and getting another one should not be too hard I suppose. I'd probably do that just for peace of mind. :lol:

Yeah I'm doing that tomorrow. But what I'm worried about is what else they might've gotten on me or where else this can go. Could it just be a random thing? :rolleyes:

I am no expert - but closing this checking account and getting another one should not be too hard I suppose. I'd probably do that just for peace of mind. :lol:

Yeah I'm doing that tomorrow. But what I'm worried about is what else they might've gotten on me or where else this can go. Could it just be a random thing? :rolleyes:

can't blame you at all for that i would feel that way too.

Here is where I am stumped...

I took CASH into BOA yesterday to deposit into my roommate's account. It was to pay her my share of the rent money. I did not have her account number, but I had her name, address, phone number. I am 99.99999% sure there is no one else in that house with that name with a BOA account.

The teller wouldn't even look it up. She said it is a violation of their privacy policy to look up an account number for someone other than the account holder, because "then I will know she holds an account there."

So, HOW did these folks get your account number!? Can you call this "academy" and try to figure it out? And if the teller did look up your account number, they were in violation of their own policy. Shame shame.

The only other thing I can come up with is if that deposit was intended for someone else with my name who also happens to have a BOA account . Maybe they got a stupid teller that had no problem looking up a person's name and address and making a deposit.

But even that doesn't explain why the billing compnay is saying that it was a withdrawl, not a deposit.

Party the check is drawn from - the Academy - used Checkfree to issue the check drawn on their acct. It was a withdrawl for them.

The recipient - someone with a name similar to yours and a BOA acct - went to the bank without deposit slips. The teller looked it up and pulled up the wrong acct and wrote your info on the deposit slip. They are now short $17xx in their acct and have a deposit slip proving it.

God god. What a mess.

Yeah, I'd be down there the minute bank opens tomorrow to try to straighten this out.

Tellers are stupid and anytime I have to deal with a bank it is aggravating.

It bugs me you have to put in all your info on the phone to get to someone then they ask you all over again for the info you already put in.

Then there was the time the teller asked me what state I was in . I told her. She then said where is that . I said NEW ENGLAND and she said ..."Oh, that is where NEW YORK AND NEW JERSEY IS ...sic...

Also I am amazed that tellers will let you deposit to another customers account and then give you the slip back with the BALANCE.

This happened to me recently. I needed to deposit money in a friends account. When I did I got back the receipt along with the balance.

Now think about it. If you were a DEBT COLLECTOR wanting to find out what you have in your account all you need to do is make a small deposit. Also when you call on the phone and you may not have your *pin number* which bugs me when it is your last four on SS number,the *security person* will ask you when you made your last deposit!!!

So now this person has access to your accounts!!!

Tomorrow instead of talking to any subservients make sure you talk to the branch manager at least. You have to get to the bottom of this ASAP!

J23

I took CASH into BOA yesterday to deposit into my roommate's account. It was to pay her my share of the rent money. I did not have her account number, but I had her name, address, phone number. I am 99.99999% sure there is no one else in that house with that name with a BOA account.

The teller wouldn't even look it up. She said it is a violation of their privacy policy to look up an account number for someone other than the account holder, because "then I will know she holds an account there."

So, HOW did these folks get your account number!? Can you call this "academy" and try to figure it out? And if the teller did look up your account number, they were in violation of their own policy. Shame shame.

That's a new one - I've done it quite a few times and they never give me the # or deposit receipt but they do take my money. They send the receipt to the acct owner - which for my kids is my address so i get the slip in a day or two. I always got a kick out of that. ;)

I probably woulda called the academy to find out why they "sent" me a check for that amt of money before closing the acct. Talking with them would clue you in on it being an accidental deposit in the wrong acct or potential fraud.

Well, if the check is written to you. Your name, address, etc. They can't come back trying to get it from you. So, assuming the check clears I would keep the money. If you aren't comfortable with that, donate it to charity.

I certainly wouldn't waste my time trying to give the money back to someone. It would be one thing if it was a mixed up account number, but someone wrote that check out to you for one reason or another.

Sorry if you think this is unethical, just my opinion. I always liked getting the card in monopoly that said bank error in your favor, collect $200. ;)

Edited by trevor
She said it is a violation of their privacy policy to look up an account number for someone other than the account holder, because "then I will know she holds an account there."

Sounds like they have taken up Swiss banking policies. :lol:

She said it is a violation of their privacy policy to look up an account number for someone other than the account holder, because "then I will know she holds an account there."

Sounds like they have taken up Swiss banking policies. :lol:

What is weird though is I was speaking of BOA here in Massachusetts.

Which state was the other poster speaking of, as they definitely have different policies!

J23

Party the check is drawn from - the Academy - used Checkfree to issue the check drawn on their acct. It was a withdrawl for them.

The recipient - someone with a name similar to yours and a BOA acct - went to the bank without deposit slips. The teller looked it up and pulled up the wrong acct and wrote your info on the deposit slip. They are now short $17xx in their acct and have a deposit slip proving it.

No one responded to this? OP, this sounds VERY much like it could be the answer to me.

LikeItOrNot, if you have any autopays set up with creditors, remember to discuss with BOA about those -- that those creditors will each need to be notified by you to change their records for you so that they will henceforth submit their e-checks to the new checking account number.

Also, not to be pessimistic, but if it were me I would definitely still provide a letter to BOA.

It has been known to happen that e-checks drawn on an OLD account number get automatically migrated over to be deducted from the NEW account. In normal circumstances, that's convenient for your established creditors and for you -- but if the bank would do that in this case, then what's the advantage to you to close out your existing account number and to change to a new one for the objective of blocking any fraud activity?

I'd say, make it a very brief, direct letter, roughly addressing the topics of:

A deposit was made into my account ending in XXXX on May 14 (or yesterday or whatever date you saw this) which is not mine and does not belong to me.

On May 14, 2008 I called [Mr. John Doe, Ms. Mary Smith] in Bank of America's fraud department and was advised to close that account due to fraud prevention purposes.

Do not honor ANY withdrawals submitted to the old account which ends in XXXX except for this one-time transfer today of my own funds on deposit to the new checking account. All other withdrawal attempts, if any, submitted to the prior account number are not authorized to be rolled over to the replacement checking account which is being opened today.

Sincerely,

LikeItOrNot

Sorry that you've had this giant hassle happen but it's really good that you caught it right away instead of not until maybe several days or weeks down the road, and perhaps after fraudulent withdrawals or payouts would have been attempted.

Thanks Digging, I'll also send a letter. And I didn't know that thing would automatically go to the new checking number... Maybe to play it safe I'll just stick with my savings account for a few months. All my credit card websites have the option of paying by withdrawing from a savings account anyway.

That's one thing I love about BOA. The email notifications. Everyday it sends an email with my daily balance. Although, I had it set weekly so if I didn't log in today I wouldn't have caught it until Sunday. Although I usually log in a few times a week anyway. I've already changed my settings to "daily balance notifications" rather than weekly. So what if it's an extra email I have to delete everyday. A week from now could've been too late.

Well, if the check is written to you. Your name, address, etc. They can't come back trying to get it from you. So, assuming the check clears I would keep the money. If you aren't comfortable with that, donate it to charity.

I certainly wouldn't waste my time trying to give the money back to someone. It would be one thing if it was a mixed up account number, but someone wrote that check out to you for one reason or another.

Sorry if you think this is unethical, just my opinion. I always liked getting the card in monopoly that said bank error in your favor, collect $200. ;)

Eh, even if someone deposited that money by mistake surely they could go back to the bank to trace it and it would end up getting withdrawled from me anyway.

If you made a deposit to someone and they say they haven't received it, wouldn't you want to go to the bank to find out what was going on..

I think just like anything else - it depends on who the teller is. Just like sometimes stores check for signatures and sometimes they don't.

The fact that they have a phone number I haven't used in about 2 years is proof enough for me that the info came from a teller.

Sorry if you think this is unethical, just my opinion. I always liked getting the card in monopoly that said bank error in your favor, collect $200. :)

Eh, even if someone deposited that money by mistake surely they could go back to the bank to trace it and it would end up getting withdrawled from me anyway.

If you made a deposit to someone and they say they haven't received it, wouldn't you want to go to the bank to find out what was going on..

Yeah, but is the bank obligated to reverse the transaction. If I write someone's name on a check for an amount and sign my name, the check clears and is deposited, is there anyway to reverse the transaction? Not to my knowledge...

Sorry if you think this is unethical, just my opinion. I always liked getting the card in monopoly that said bank error in your favor, collect $200. :unsure:

Yeah, but is the bank obligated to reverse the transaction. If I write someone's name on a check for an amount and sign my name, the check clears and is deposited, is there anyway to reverse the transaction? Not to my knowledge...

I guess not. If you gave that money to me then changed your mind and wanted it back.. You couldn't walk in and get the bank to withdraw it out of my account and hand it to you...

I guess not. If you gave that money to me then changed your mind and wanted it back.. You couldn't walk in and get the bank to withdraw it out of my account and hand it to you...

But that's not what happened. It seems it was a clerical error. And when banks make mistakes, they're allowed to fix them. Just like the IRS -- if you get a tax overpayment, they're entitled to take it back too.

Toopoor's scenario sounds dead-on to me.

I'm not a lawyer, don't play one on TV, and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

BUT, it seems to me that unjust enrichment would come into play here.

Bob

"Unjust Enrichment"?

As I said, I'm not a lawyer.

I usually expect centex or marcustx to correct me. :)

Bob

The last post in this topic was posted 4872 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.