Even with insurance

The last post in this topic was posted 4715 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

A little history...Filed medical-related BK in 2004; health and finances fairly well recovered now. So, a week a go I took a tumble. Woke up unable to walk. Thought leg possibly broken; needed to have it checked out but it was a Saturday, so my Dr. not available. Very responsibly looked up, through my insurance provider's site, nearest urgent care, as did not want to use ER unecessarily or pay ER deductible! Seen at urgent care, paid $75 co-pay at time of service. Checked site today to ensure the Dr. filed claim. They did and it's been processed. Remainder of bill I am responsible for: $128.00. Now, let's add this up:

Insurance premium for this month $386.00(Coverage thru employer)

Urgent care co-pay $ 75.00

Patient remainder $128.00

Prescription 1 co-pay $ 15.00 (no generic available)

Prescription 2 co-pay $ 10.00 (generic available)

TOTAL OUT-OF-POCKET MEDICAL THIS MONTH $614.00

Yes, I have the money. It's just that I keep hearing all this horrible stuff about the uninsured. Well, at these rates, being insured sure isn't all that helpful.

Last month was much better:

Insurance premium for last month $386.00( Coverage thru employer)

Spouse saw Dr. for sore throat $40.00 co-pay to see reg Dr.

Spouse got strep test $10.00 lab co-pay

Prescription co-pay $10.00 co-pay (generic)

Presc. didn't work/ penicillin injection $10.00 co-pay for injection

TOTAL OUT-OF-POCKET MEDICAL LAST MONTH $456.00

You can just bet that at the end of the year, we'll be just under the mark for being able to deduct our healthcare costs, too!

Sometimes I just want to give up! Think I'll just go take my Percocet :)

You must work for a small employer, costs tend to be high. Family coverage is $750/mo (for the cheapest plan, the "good plans" run over $1,000). We went with DW and I being on the employers plan for $450 and got DS and individual policy for $50/mo. Fortunately my employer pays the first $200 towards the plan so we are only stuck with $300/mo total.

Have you given any thought about a health savings account? There are a number of IRS restrictions, including switching to a high-deductible plan, which can be risky in the short term, but it would have the advantage of saving you on the month premiums and at least all those expenses would be covered by pre-tax earnings.

A little history...Filed medical-related BK in 2004; health and finances fairly well recovered now. So, a week a go I took a tumble. Woke up unable to walk. Thought leg possibly broken; needed to have it checked out but it was a Saturday, so my Dr. not available. Very responsibly looked up, through my insurance provider's site, nearest urgent care, as did not want to use ER unecessarily or pay ER deductible! Seen at urgent care, paid $75 co-pay at time of service. Checked site today to ensure the Dr. filed claim. They did and it's been processed. Remainder of bill I am responsible for: $128.00. Now, let's add this up:

Insurance premium for this month $386.00(Coverage thru employer)

Urgent care co-pay $ 75.00

Patient remainder $128.00

Prescription 1 co-pay $ 15.00 (no generic available)

Prescription 2 co-pay $ 10.00 (generic available)

TOTAL OUT-OF-POCKET MEDICAL THIS MONTH $614.00

Yes, I have the money. It's just that I keep hearing all this horrible stuff about the uninsured. Well, at these rates, being insured sure isn't all that helpful.

Last month was much better:

Insurance premium for last month $386.00( Coverage thru employer)

Spouse saw Dr. for sore throat $40.00 co-pay to see reg Dr.

Spouse got strep test $10.00 lab co-pay

Prescription co-pay $10.00 co-pay (generic)

Presc. didn't work/ penicillin injection $10.00 co-pay for injection

TOTAL OUT-OF-POCKET MEDICAL LAST MONTH $456.00

You can just bet that at the end of the year, we'll be just under the mark for being able to deduct our healthcare costs, too!

Sometimes I just want to give up! Think I'll just go take my Percocet :offtopic:

Check if your State has any programs for people in your situation. I work for Medicaid and before I worked there I had no idea about all of the programs that are available. It's not just for low income people. They have lots of other stuff going on too if you meet the requirements.

Have you gotten a statement of benefits for that urgent care trip? Heck, pull out the SOB for that routine doctor's office visit last month. The strep test alone probably cost what you paid for the entire month. Reviewing what it would've cost you without insurance will probably make you kneel down and kiss the your employer's feet for providing insurance at all. :P

DH's insurance causes an out of pocket expense to us of $186 a WEEK. That is in addition to of course co-pays and prescriptions.

His company is not small, they just do not offer very many alternatives. Luckily we negotiated a few years ago to have his company reimburse for that expense. After 6 years with the company he was actually making LESS take home than when he started because of the high cost.

I had some chest pains, went to the doctor.

Doctors out of pocket $145

labs out of pocket $80

cardiologist out of pocket $580

doctor follow up out of pocket $100

prescriptions $60 (one not available generic)

I have a CDHP plan, where I am given $500 per year to go toward my $1250 deductible, I didn't use it last year so it rolled over for $1000 toward my deductible (thankfully), I have received checks for all of my out of pocket expenses.

Thing is, if I hadn't had insurance, the cardiologist alone would have been $1800, one prescription would have been $140. I would have been officially been in debt.

If you want a horror story rent the documentary Sicko, there is so much that we don't know about big insurance companies. They are big businesses out to make money, not to provide good quality health care. (this is not meant to be political)

MAC

Edited by bakerman

I think part of the trend for increasing out of pocket expenses to insured patients is that so many people go would go in for every little thing, because hey, it's only $20, right? Now you think a little more about whether an OTC remedy might be as effective as going in to the doctor, since it could cost you a hundred bucks or more.

While it was really nice, the amount actually covered by insurance will make you think twice. I was on asthma meds that cost over $400 a month, and my copay was $35. That's not even counting the doctor's visits and bloodwork (or the bone density scan). I'm generally pretty healthy, but I'm glad I have insurance.

I think part of the trend for increasing out of pocket expenses to insured patients is that so many people go would go in for every little thing, because hey, it's only $20, right? Now you think a little more about whether an OTC remedy might be as effective as going in to the doctor, since it could cost you a hundred bucks or more.

While it was really nice, the amount actually covered by insurance will make you think twice. I was on asthma meds that cost over $400 a month, and my copay was $35. That's not even counting the doctor's visits and bloodwork (or the bone density scan). I'm generally pretty healthy, but I'm glad I have insurance.

I have insurance because it is irresponsible and dangerous IMO not to. But I still think twice about going to the doctor, and the only prescription I regularly fill is birth control.

The last post in this topic was posted 4715 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.