Auto Loans that are Charge Off's

sutliffhl21

The last post in this topic was posted 5372 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

My state is Pa. I have an auto loan through Capital One from almost 2 years ago and a loan through a local credit union that have been repo's now for almost 2 years. I am looking to buy a home, and I was told that all of my chargeoff's, repo's, etc must be paid before anyone will even look at me. My question is, does anyone know if Cap 1 will settle an auto loan for less than whats actually owed? The amount left on the loan, even after the vehicle sale is $40,000.00. They can't honestly expect someone to even all of that for a car that they dont even have anymore. I would be willing to settle for maybe a 1/3 of it..MAYBE even half of it. And if they dont settle with the consumer, are there companies that will contact them and settle the debt for you? And my other question is, do local credit unions usually settle? I mean, I dont see why they wouldnt because if they don't, the odds of them getting a penny are slim to none, and they should know that.

My state is Pa. I have an auto loan through Capital One from almost 2 years ago and a loan through a local credit union that have been repo's now for almost 2 years. I am looking to buy a home, and I was told that all of my chargeoff's, repo's, etc must be paid before anyone will even look at me. My question is, does anyone know if Cap 1 will settle an auto loan for less than whats actually owed? The amount left on the loan, even after the vehicle sale is $40,000.00. They can't honestly expect someone to even all of that for a car that they dont even have anymore. I would be willing to settle for maybe a 1/3 of it..MAYBE even half of it. And if they dont settle with the consumer, are there companies that will contact them and settle the debt for you? And my other question is, do local credit unions usually settle? I mean, I dont see why they wouldnt because if they don't, the odds of them getting a penny are slim to none, and they should know that.

So I'm confused, you mention a Cap One Auto Laon and a loan through a CU...they're both repos? Cap one does settle for less than the balance on credit cards, not sure about auto loans.

The amount left on the loan, even after the vehicle sale is $40,000.00. They can't honestly expect someone to even all of that for a car that they dont even have anymore. I would be willing to settle for maybe a 1/3 of it..MAYBE even half of it. And if they dont settle with the consumer, are there companies that will contact them and settle the debt for you? And my other question is, do local credit unions usually settle? I mean, I dont see why they wouldnt because if they don't, the odds of them getting a penny are slim to none, and they should know that.

Your kidding right? You owe someone $40,000, or whatever the open amount is, which sounds substantial and you can't believe the want it back? You signed the contract, you owe the money.

For a debt that large, it certainly pays to skip the collector and go straight to an attorney to file suit IMHO.

I lost my job and lost the vehicles. I was earning good money and could afford them, and then I was laid off. I was stupid to get myself into that situation in the first place, and now am trying to clean up the damage. Is there attorney's or agencies that will represent you and contact these companies directly for you to negotiate settlements?

I lost my job and lost the vehicles. I was earning good money and could afford them, and then I was laid off. I was stupid to get myself into that situation in the first place, and now am trying to clean up the damage. Is there attorney's or agencies that will represent you and contact these companies directly for you to negotiate settlements?

Certainly understand that one.

I think there's a sticky on lawyers...don't quote me on it.

You might want to find an attorney who specializes in consumer credit, but certainly any attorney with experience in contracts can help you.

You can always do a google search

http://www.locatealawyer.com/

The last post in this topic was posted 5372 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.