Sign in to follow this  
Why Chat

INNOCENT VICTIMS OF CREDIT PROBLEMS

The foreclosures and credit problems, particularly from crushing medical debts has created a nightmare for pet shelters everywhere.

It is no longer "strays" that are being rescued, now family pets are being abandoned because their owners have lost their homes and can not keep their pets in shelters or public housing or rentals or nursing homes.

If you wish to say "thank you" for any assistance I have been able to give over the years, please check the links at the bottom of my website. In particular "Kitty Angels" is having a very hard time now as they are a no kill shelter and have been deluged with abandoned pets many of whom require medical care.

IF YOU FEEL YOU HAVE BENEFITED FROM THE INFORMATION ON THIS SITE,YOU MAY MAKE A CONTRIBUTION TO:

KITTY ANGELS - http://kittyangels.org/

OR YOUR LOCAL "NO-KILL" ANIMAL SHELTER

OR YOUR LOCAL OR NATIONAL CHAPTER OF THE

HUMANE SOCIETY

or ASPCA

Edited by Why Chat

You're a lovely person, and this is a cause near and dear to my heart.

I automatically donate to the ASPCA every month, but I just sent something to Kitty Angels as well.

Oh, wow, I totally didn't think of that side effect.... Poor kitties and puppies!!!

I guess it's just me, but I never really let that kind of stuff get in the way of me taking care of or finding good homes for my pets. When I was a kid, my stepfather died, and me & mom were homeless in less than 2 weeks. At the time, we had 17 cats, mostly outdoor semi-feral, 2 dogs, and a rabbit. We rounded up most of the cats and got them into new homes, gave the dogs to a new owner who had recently moved to the area, and we kept the rabbit. We used to sleep in the car, get up, go to a gas station, and walk the rabbit on a leash. I just can't fathom not providing for my pets. Shelters are an absolute last resort. If I lost my rental right now, I'd be sleeping in a car with the DBf, a cat, 2 turtles, and a fish. I'd find a friend to sit them for a few weeks if needed. But I wouldn't just dump them. These poor people must really be in a bad way if they have to dump their furry friends. I feel horrible for them.

I support you totally, Whychat, and I, too, think you're a lovely person.

For anyone who's interested, here is my favorite local shelter, A Place To Bark...or Meow but this blog I've linked to has many, many links on the lower right hand side that have so many other shelters in need of assistance. Let's help them all!

A Place To Bark...or Meow is run by Bernie, and she literally goes to her local shelters and takes the dogs scheduled to be put down the next day. She trains them and finds them homes. The awesome, happy dog photos are a riot, and it's just a fun blog to read anyway for the pictures! On the right-hand column of her blog, there are Amazon links, so that if you buy that credit repair book, she gets a percentage to feed the animals! You can also buy shirts from Cafepress, mail or paypal donations, or buy badly needed medicines through Amazon and have them sent to her.

Thanks WhyChat! Let's continue to remember the other victims of the credit fallout.

SPAY AND NEUTER YOUR PETS!!!!!

Edited by Jbean

Oh, wow, I totally didn't think of that side effect.... Poor kitties and puppies!!!

I guess it's just me, but I never really let that kind of stuff get in the way of me taking care of or finding good homes for my pets. When I was a kid, my stepfather died, and me & mom were homeless in less than 2 weeks. At the time, we had 17 cats, mostly outdoor semi-feral, 2 dogs, and a rabbit. We rounded up most of the cats and got them into new homes, gave the dogs to a new owner who had recently moved to the area, and we kept the rabbit. We used to sleep in the car, get up, go to a gas station, and walk the rabbit on a leash. I just can't fathom not providing for my pets. Shelters are an absolute last resort. If I lost my rental right now, I'd be sleeping in a car with the DBf, a cat, 2 turtles, and a fish. I'd find a friend to sit them for a few weeks if needed. But I wouldn't just dump them. These poor people must really be in a bad way if they have to dump their furry friends. I feel horrible for them.

I support you totally, Whychat, and I, too, think you're a lovely person.

For anyone who's interested, here is my favorite local shelter, A Place To Bark...or Meow but this blog I've linked to has many, many links on the lower right hand side that have so many other shelters in need of assistance. Let's help them all!

A Place To Bark...or Meow is run by Bernie, and she literally goes to her local shelters and takes the dogs scheduled to be put down the next day. She trains them and finds them homes. The awesome, happy dog photos are a riot, and it's just a fun blog to read anyway for the pictures! On the right-hand column of her blog, there are Amazon links, so that if you buy that credit repair book, she gets a percentage to feed the animals! You can also buy shirts from Cafepress, mail or paypal donations, or buy badly needed medicines through Amazon and have them sent to her.

Thanks WhyChat! Let's continue to remember the other victims of the credit fallout.

SPAY AND NEUTER YOUR PETS!!!!!

ITA!! Me and my husband joke around about that, but seriously, I would not go anywhere I couldn't take my 3 boxers! I guess we'd be under a bridge somewhere with a box big enough for us all! My dogs are my children and I couldn't be without them. They have birthday parties every year, get visits from Santa, the Easter bunny, etc... lol

I have seen the stress that an animal goes through when abandoned, it is really sad, they often bond with their people very strong, especially dogs.

My mom volunteers at a local animal shelter, and does foster care for animals that come in weak, sick or flea ridden. This is a very small shelter with very little funding and they just can't keep alive animals that are sickly, so they call my mom and she brings them home and nurses them often with good results, the local vet donates medicine for her to use. The shelter also lets her help place the animals since she has gotten to know them, with people she will feel are a good fit. I just happen to have one of those orphan cats staring at me while I type!

Thanks for helping bring awareness to this topic.

MAC

Bumping-- This issue is NOW front page news!! Foreclosed homes have abandoned, starving and DEAD pets found in them.

The foreclosures and credit problems, particularly from crushing medical debts has created a nightmare for pet shelters everywhere.

It is no longer "strays" that are being rescued, now family pets are being abandoned because their owners have lost their homes and can not keep their pets in shelters or public housing or rentals or nursing homes.

If you wish to say "thank you" for any assistance I have been able to give over the years, please check the links at the bottom of my website. In particular "Kitty Angels" is having a very hard time now as they are a no kill shelter and have been deluged with abandoned pets many of whom require medical care.

IF YOU FEEL YOU HAVE BENEFITED FROM THE INFORMATION ON THIS SITE,YOU MAY MAKE A CONTRIBUTION TO:

WhyChat, I had no idea you were involved with rescue issues. Thanks for posting this! I am currently President of a local rescue, though we have no shelter and utilize only foster homes. I e-mailed just this morning with someone to go get a small dog that was left behind when the owner's home was foreclosed and they just packed up and left. The dog was also left INSIDE, and we're not sure how long or what shape the dog will be in when I get him. It's a sad, sad situation that people WLL NOT take responsibility for their pets!!! You and your group are in my thoughts and prayers.

Though foreclosure abandonments may be a new issue, RENTERS moving off and leaving animals is not. I've been dealing with that for years!

Edited by momintn

We have no "kids" yet except our baby Soprano (108lb mutt). As someone stated above, I to would sleep on the street with him if needed before ever thinking of giving him up. I could never give my dog up!

As Whychat said, it's very important, especially in these hard times to support your local shelters, every little bit helps! Also if you have the space and some time many shelters are looking for foster homes till permanent homes can be found.

Here is a pic of our "kid":

0002.jpg

Edited by nyrfann

Alot of rental places (especially apartments) will not allow certain pets like large dogs or any pets at all. (or charge an extra deposit for them).

Decent pet owners will treat their pets very well & not allow them to ruin the carpet, etc. I had to rehab one of my rentals due to a combination of factors: Tobocco smoke, pet ruining carpet, hard use. Since the renter stayed 10 years, I didn't mind as much. I have other investor friends that told me after a year, their house is trashed so I am lucky with 10 years.

Like anything else, the pet owners who neglect their pet & allow them to ruin the house ruins it for the decent pet owner who keeps the house very clean plus treat their pet very well.

I had pets when I was much younger and I appeciated the companionship. :good:

My last two guinea pig rescues came from a family who was in foreclosure. It's awful that some people just don't care as much about their pets as they do family.

I would have rather let my pets go in the wild, rather than to leave them locked in a home with no food or water - at least then there is a chance of survival - but even then there isn't an excuse, there is always a way to find them a home.

Bumping-- This issue is NOW front page news!! Foreclosed homes have abandoned, starving and DEAD pets found in them.

Is there anybody here who hasn't benefited from the knowledge of WhyChat? Perhaps this is the time to say Thank You! Many some tax refunds could be used for that purpose.

Thank you for everything you do WC!

Too many people consider animals "expendable" or "replaceable." After I had to have my 19yo cat put down a couple years ago, I was stunned that one person said, "So what? Just get another one." As though we were talking about a used car or a pair of shoes. I seriously wanted to punch her.

Too many people consider animals "expendable" or "replaceable." After I had to have my 19yo cat put down a couple years ago, I was stunned that one person said, "So what? Just get another one." As though we were talking about a used car or a pair of shoes. I seriously wanted to punch her.

HereKittyKitty, I feel your pain. We had to euthanize our 5 year old cat b/c she had kidney (and liver) failure due to the tainted pet food/recall last year. I was EXTREMELY upset for about 4 weeks b/c it was an up and down battle. One day she would be doing better and I would get my hopes up, and the next day, her blood tests showed she was getting worse, etc. I was talking with some co-workers about it and mentioned the fact that I'd already spent $800 on vet bills, as well as bringing her home every few days and doing her IVs and someone overheard me and said, "why not buy a bullet? It's cheaper!" I went from zero to irrate in about half a second! Some poeple are so clueless.

My 16yo cat died in my arms last year after 2 surgeries and lots of loving care. It was tough. After 6 months I finally adopted a semi-feral kitten from a rescue org. She is doing very well, adapting much easier than I thought.

One of our 2 cats died a year ago, and we can't bring ourselves to get another. When we do, it will be a shelter cat, just like our Lorca was. I liberated the turtles and the fish from certain death in Chinatown. The turtles (babies) were being sold illegally for $5 a pair including a teeny aquarium. They don't bother to say that the turtles can live up to 70 years. They know most customers will kill them off with improper care in months. I'm SO glad I saved them, but I wish I could save more!!

What pisses me off is that my landlords and their family all interbreed yappy-type dogs (shih-tzu, poodle, pomeranian mixes), and they NEVER spay or neuter the animals! The dogs are antsy, bark and escape a lot, and are more aggressive when they're grouped together. They're also untrained. I'm currently on a quest to get them to fix all the dogs, and if they want more, to adopt from a shelter.

I'm going to change my signature to include animal shelter donation links, and I encourage others to do the same!!

Why Chat, the assistance you gave to me when I first came to this site, and the continued assistance since, will always be priceless to me.

The local townies think my area is a great place to dump their pets. I usually take in one new cat, dog, or whatever, at least once a week. Because of that I can't donate a great amount but I did donate what I could. Plus, I used my Target Visa which helps the school I went to when I was a kid. :lol:

(I donated in your name but I didn't have them send you an e-card)

Nice job Why Chat. I have had 3 collection agencies make out 'settlement checks' to the Make a Wish Foundation. Sometimes the agency is so scummy you do not even wanna touch their money. The only problem with make a wish is their average wish costs 5k and I feel kinda like a fool bringing in 1-1.5k and thinking I am making a difference.