Unexplained Charge Found On Bank Statements

The last post in this topic was posted 4813 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

http://www.click2houston.com/money/15563513/detail.html

Ich Services Reports Rampant On Internet

POSTED: 9:27 am CDT March 11, 2008

UPDATED: 10:40 am CDT March 11, 2008

OMAHA, Neb. -- A mysterious charge is showing up on some bank statements across the country, and bankers said a consumer's best protection is early detection.

Dimiter Todorov said his wife found a charge for $9.85 on their February bank statement from a company listed as Ich Services, KETV in Omaha reported.

"She saw it and couldn't recognize it, asked me, and I couldn't recognize it," Todorov said.

A toll-free number listed with the charge went straight to voice mail, and Todorov said the call was never returned.

The Internet is littered with hundreds of reports of complaints about the same charge with no response from Ich Services. The dollar amount is similar in each case -- under $10, the television station reported.

A consulting firm in Pittsburgh is called ICH Services. The owner said the charges aren't coming from him, adding that he was upset to find out that someone might be using his business name.

First National Bank Second Vice President Clint Sporhase said the complaint from the Todorovs was the first the bank had received about the Ich charge. The bank is trying to track the origin of the charge.

"We'll work back, either through the merchant if possible or through the network it was processed through -- Visa or Mastercard -- to try to resolve this for the consumer," Sporhase said.

Sporhase said unusual charges often stem from the cardholder providing personal information to a Web site with which he or she is not familiar. To protect yourself, only do business with a site that has security features.

He advised consumers to check statements often and write down transactions, regardless of whether payment was made by check, cash or credit, to avoid forgetting about them.

If you see a strange charge, call your bank and dispute it. Sporhase said that gives your bank authorization to fight the charge.

That's what the Todorovs did.

"They sent me a new card, canceled the old one," Todorov said. "Not too bad. It could've been a lot worse."

First National Bank said that if it determines that the charge was fraudulent, it will reimburse the amount to the Todorov account.

Wells Fargo Bank said it, too, has received complaints from customers getting the Ich Services charge.

http://www.click2houston.com/money/15563513/detail.html

Ich Services Reports Rampant On Internet

POSTED: 9:27 am CDT March 11, 2008

UPDATED: 10:40 am CDT March 11, 2008

OMAHA, Neb. -- A mysterious charge is showing up on some bank statements across the country, and bankers said a consumer's best protection is early detection.

Dimiter Todorov said his wife found a charge for $9.85 on their February bank statement from a company listed as Ich Services, KETV in Omaha reported.

"She saw it and couldn't recognize it, asked me, and I couldn't recognize it," Todorov said.

A toll-free number listed with the charge went straight to voice mail, and Todorov said the call was never returned.

The Internet is littered with hundreds of reports of complaints about the same charge with no response from Ich Services. The dollar amount is similar in each case -- under $10, the television station reported.

A consulting firm in Pittsburgh is called ICH Services. The owner said the charges aren't coming from him, adding that he was upset to find out that someone might be using his business name.

First National Bank Second Vice President Clint Sporhase said the complaint from the Todorovs was the first the bank had received about the Ich charge. The bank is trying to track the origin of the charge.

"We'll work back, either through the merchant if possible or through the network it was processed through -- Visa or Mastercard -- to try to resolve this for the consumer," Sporhase said.

Sporhase said unusual charges often stem from the cardholder providing personal information to a Web site with which he or she is not familiar. To protect yourself, only do business with a site that has security features.

He advised consumers to check statements often and write down transactions, regardless of whether payment was made by check, cash or credit, to avoid forgetting about them.

If you see a strange charge, call your bank and dispute it. Sporhase said that gives your bank authorization to fight the charge.

That's what the Todorovs did.

"They sent me a new card, canceled the old one," Todorov said. "Not too bad. It could've been a lot worse."

First National Bank said that if it determines that the charge was fraudulent, it will reimburse the amount to the Todorov account.

Wells Fargo Bank said it, too, has received complaints from customers getting the Ich Services charge.

I posted about this a month or so back. I had a card that had a charge from ICH services as well.....Looks like it wasnt just me facing the problem

Be on the lookout for this charge on CCs too. I had an unauthorized charge for 9.85 on my CC and when I called the 800# numerous times, it went to voicemail. Mine was billed as "ACM". [i disputed it with Chase and they took it right off, but I think Chase ate the charge as a "courtesy"]

Doesn't anybody reconcile their statements, anymore? :P

what does reconciling a statement have to do with mysterious charges showing up on your statement? :lol:

Exactly. And all of the examples provided are of the charges being detected (likely from some sort of acct reconciliation/monitoring).

Non sequitor much? :lol:

what does reconciling a statement have to do with mysterious charges showing up on your statement? :lol:

In the sense that I think many people aren't even aware that these charges are there. They just look at the minimum due, pay that or a little more, and don't even think about it.

Their fault, to be sure, but if they reconciled, they'd know, and hopefully complain, and instead of the banks crediting a few as a courtesy they'd get tired of it and actually go after these scammers. Maybe.

Exactly. And all of the examples provided are of the charges being detected (likely from some sort of acct reconciliation/monitoring).

I'll admit, I don't formally "reconcile" mine much these days (like I used to when I wrote a lot of checks)...but I do check my account online almost daily and I pretty much know what I've spent and where, so I do watch the charges.

Doesn't anybody reconcile their statements, anymore? ;)

what does reconciling a statement have to do with mysterious charges showing up on your statement? :)

I'll admit, I don't formally "reconcile" mine much these days (like I used to when I wrote a lot of checks)...but I do check my account online almost daily and I pretty much know what I've spent and where, so I do watch the charges.

Yeah, me too, especially closely monitoring. Particularly on my CCs, occasionally I look at the balance first and say: "NO EFFING WAY it could be so large..... then look at each charge.... yep, yep, yep... all correct... " D'oh! :lol:

what does reconciling a statement have to do with mysterious charges showing up on your statement? :)

Yeah, me too, especially closely monitoring. Particularly on my CCs, occasionally I look at the balance first and say: "NO EFFING WAY it could be so large..... then look at each charge.... yep, yep, yep... all correct... " D'oh! :lol:

Oh yeah, tell me about it. I just got back from Las Vegas and I'm dreading looking at my AMEX bill. :lol:

Oh yeah, tell me about it. I just got back from Las Vegas and I'm dreading looking at my AMEX bill. :lol:

Wait, the charges don't remain in Vegas ".. happens in Vegas..stays in Vegas..." ???!!!! I'd dispute em with Amex :P

:lol:

Doesn't anybody reconcile their statements, anymore? :)

Yeah, me too, especially closely monitoring. Particularly on my CCs, occasionally I look at the balance first and say: "NO EFFING WAY it could be so large..... then look at each charge.... yep, yep, yep... all correct... " D'oh! B)

Wait, the charges don't remain in Vegas ".. happens in Vegas..stays in Vegas..." ???!!!! I'd dispute em with Amex :P

:lol:

OMG! That's brilliant! :P

I've done that... "What?!? No way. (READ READ READ READ READ) ... Oh, yeah, I guess so. :rofl: "

This happened to me last summer. 9.85 charge from this ICH services via my debit card. Called bank (BofA), CSR asked if I contacted company first, I said no...she put me on hold, called the number, got voicemail, came back on the line, took care of the charge, canceled my old card and sent me a new card.

NO clue how they got a hold of my number. But glad I caught it before anything else happened....

This happened to me last summer. 9.85 charge from this ICH services via my debit card. Called bank (BofA), CSR asked if I contacted company first, I said no...she put me on hold, called the number, got voicemail, came back on the line, took care of the charge, canceled my old card and sent me a new card.

NO clue how they got a hold of my number. But glad I caught it before anything else happened....

Once when I was going through a similar thing the CSR told me that sometimes companies just submit random numbers and you end up being the "lucky" one. Reassuring, isn't it?

The last post in this topic was posted 4813 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.