Sign in to follow this  
socalfiremedic

Credit Card "Pre-Selector" sites?

Just got pre-selected for a HSBC Platinum MasterCard with 2% cash back. Pretty surprised, with my score I was hoping for a secured, if that. Just applied for it so we'll see. First credit card I've applied for in many years lol

*edit* FYI, I just called them because I thought I made a mistake on my application and the lady told me I was going to have a questionnaire mailed to me, but since she had me on the phone we did it right then. Saved a few days and she told me I was approved, so I didn't have to wait and wonder about that :mellow:

Edited by MLE

I did the Orchard Bank link. Said I was prequalified for their "platinum" card w/ $59 AF. I applied, and got the "Your Account is in Review" message....I'm not holding my breath.

Happy to report that I received the card, with a $300 limit! Not the greatest, but better than nothing! Also was approved for a Macy's card in-store last week!

So If I try for an Orchard unsecured card, and get denied, its still only a "soft pull" and therefore will not hurt my FICO score?

I want to make sure I got this correct before trying, becuase my credit score has changed in the past few months, especially since joining this board.

No. How the HSBC/Orchard pre-selector works is that you fill out all your information and submit it. THAT is a soft pull. It then tells you which cards you're pre-qualified for, and asks you if you want to apply. IF you apply at that point, YES, it's a hard pull then. You're more likely to get the card if you're pre-qualified for it, but there's never a guarantee.

No. How the HSBC/Orchard pre-selector works is that you fill out all your information and submit it. THAT is a soft pull. It then tells you which cards you're pre-qualified for, and asks you if you want to apply. IF you apply at that point, YES, it's a hard pull then. You're more likely to get the card if you're pre-qualified for it, but there's never a guarantee.

Right.

But if I only do the soft pull and it tells me I'm only "prequalifed" to get a secured card, and I dont even bother to fill out that application for a secured card.

Then nothing happens to my credit. right?

Right.

But if I only do the soft pull and it tells me I'm only "prequalifed" to get a secured card, and I dont even bother to fill out that application for a secured card.

Then nothing happens to my credit. right?

Correct. As long as you don't fill out the app after you pre-qualify.

Not cool! It said I qualified for a cash back- rewards type MC from HSBC and then I go for the hard pull and get "you have the maximum amount of accounts with HSBC"

BOOOO!!! There goes ANOTHER inquiry! grrrrr!

New Card FAQs

# Can I have more than one credit card account?

Currently, you may only have one type of HSBC Credit Card account.

Has anyone here ever used the Centrro Credit Card Finder?

https://www.centrro.com/results/cards/get_credit_score.php

Edit by admin: This is a lead generator

It looks like it does a soft pull. If it does, does this work with a frozen credit report or someone with a Fraud Alert?

Thanks,

Ryan

P.S. Someone brave try it out and get back to me.. hehe :offtopic:

Edited by breeze

I was pregaulified for ORchard but then when I applied they said unable to approve me.

I applied for HSBC and they said being reviewed.

It looks like it does a soft pull. If it does, does this work with a frozen credit report or someone with a Fraud Alert?

Thanks,

Ryan

P.S. Someone brave try it out and get back to me.. hehe :dntknw:

I tested it out for ya. All my CRs are on ICE and I was able to get my credit grade. It also automatically opens an account for you here: www.knowbeforeyouapply.com/ which shows all the credit offers you are eligible for based on your grade.

It also automatically opens an account for you here: www.knowbeforeyouapply.com/ which shows all the credit offers you are eligible for based on your grade.

I just used that and my scores must have gone up. It gave me a B- credit grade between 641-670 :) Didn't have any cards I wanted, though. Most of them I was pre-approved for were student cards.

As with any other FAKO in the universe... that "credit grade" is worthless. It's no more going to give you an idea of what you're going to qualify for than throwing a dart at a dartboard with pictures of credit cards on it. FAKOS can be off by more than 100 points. If you want to know what you have a shot at qualifying for, get your REAL FICOS from myfico.com and then check the credit pulls database here on CB.

As with any other FAKO in the universe... that "credit grade" is worthless. It's no more going to give you an idea of what you're going to qualify for than throwing a dart at a dartboard with pictures of credit cards on it. FAKOS can be off by more than 100 points. If you want to know what you have a shot at qualifying for, get your REAL FICOS from myfico.com and then check the credit pulls database here on CB.

In my case anyway, the FAKO from CCT is dead on. It matches the combined average of my last three FICO issued scores. YMMV.

I will keep the CCT subscription as long as the daily pulls are available.

Thanks,

Ryan

P.S. Someone brave try it out and get back to me.. hehe :lol:

I tested it out for ya. All my CRs are on ICE and I was able to get my credit grade. It also automatically opens an account for you here: www.knowbeforeyouapply.com/ which shows all the credit offers you are eligible for based on your grade.

So they are just guessing? :cry2:

I can't even get FICO's on the CRA's I've frozen.

Thanks,

Ryan

P.S. Someone brave try it out and get back to me.. hehe :wave:

So they are just guessing? :lol:

I can't even get FICO's on the CRA's I've frozen.

It's fun to try out, but their "letter grade" is complete nonsense.

They clearly can't see that I have a BK reporting.

Thanks,

Ryan

P.S. Someone brave try it out and get back to me.. hehe :)

oh how I wish this were accurate! I got a "B" "People with this grade typically have a credit score between 671 and 710." ohhhh how wonderful that would be! And the "top pick" for me is AMEX! :P

[urlSPAM[/url]

Thanks,

Ryan

P.S. Someone brave try it out and get back to me.. hehe :rolleyes:

it does not show all the offers you are eligible for...it is a scam affiliate sight...

It's also a "lead generator." You are giving your personal information to them to sell to anyone who can pay for it; you are opening yourself up to all kinds of marketing, whether legit or not.