Sign in to follow this  
socalfiremedic

Credit Card "Pre-Selector" sites?

What an excellent idea, this thread.

qvdavid, I got the same offer. Like you, I jumped at the chance. After a night's rest, I'm starting to regret it. $49/year is awfully high, and if you close the account down, your FICO will probably go down. I'm wondering if I should stick w/secured cards until I'm able to qualify for "real" cards with much lower fees.

I received my HSBC card yesterday w/ 300 limit... called the magic number and asked for a CLI and she put me on hold, came back and said "sorry, not at this time" so I said well I think I want to cancel because $300 is very low...she put me on hold again and said "I can increase $200 today so your new credit limit is $500" :)

I'm thinking of doing that when I recieve my card. What are the chances that they would call my bluff?

I was not going to apply for anything, but I was pre-approved for the HSBC Weekender.

Applied and was denied - too many inq in 6 months, too new of accounts, and something similar.

That almost seems like fraudulent inducement.

For all of you that apply for an orchard bank, Hsbc, or Household card and get a $300 limit call 702-243-1479 (credit retention department) be very nice, state your case and the little old lady's will bless you with a 100 or 200 line increase if this does not work, just say you want to close the account they will pretty much do what ever it takes to keep you from closing the account...............works best when you first activate the card.........

On July 31st did BOA and got preapproved for the Bank of America Accelerated Rewards American Express. Applied got 30 day notice.

They pulled EX and TU on the 31st then they pulled EQ on the 14th.

Checked online today and they closed my Platinum Plus Visa with a $7000 limit.

And gave me Bank of America Accelerated Rewards American Express with and $8000 limit.

The platinum plus was only 6 months old so i dont care about the history.

But 3 hard pulls hurts.

At least it is an Amex with rewards and will get alot of use at COSTCO.

:) Decided to try my luck with Cap One, finally just did it and received a limit of $1000!!

I know it's not much, my highest though and I'm just so happy my credit is finally improving!! YAY!!!

works best when you first activate the card.........

What if I don't activate it? I thought that you can send the card back w/o activating it and you get your fee back or something like that?

Has anyone been preapproved for the HSBC weekender card and then declined when actually applying?

yes. I got that bad news just last week. Hard pull but I don't remember which CRB it was. Probably Exp =(

I also got the HSBC with limit of $300 and an annual fee of $59. YUCK. Does that $59 come out when I activiate the card or when? I wouldn't mind it so much if the CL were bigger but only $300? None of my cards charge me an annual fee. So how can I cancel and do I still have to pay the fee? How doees that work? And if I call that number and complain, will any chance of them lowering the fee or removing the fee?

Thanks!

Deb

applied with orchard bank, They said I was approved, I accepted and gave them my bank account info. They removed the 49 dollars from my bank. I have not recieved any info from them yet. How long did it take ya'll to recieve your card? I figure they would have at least sent me a email or something stating my credit limit etc but nothing like that.

I applied online for Bestbuy store card and was told to call in immideatly. I was at work so I couldn't call in.. then when I got in and check the message it gave me the message I was declined. I called in and they said my BB application was denied however they could offer me the bestbuy mastercard. The limit on the mastercard would be set at $300 with a $59 AF. I said yes to it and this week I got in my e-mail a message about my bestbuy rewardzone account. Still haven't gotten the card yet but soon as it comes I'm going to call them up and cancel. After they denied me I applied for Amex and was approved for $8K CL so the hell with hsbc.

It really stinks that they do this without first asking you.

On July 31st did BOA and got preapproved for the Bank of America Accelerated Rewards American Express. Applied got 30 day notice.

They pulled EX and TU on the 31st then they pulled EQ on the 14th.

Checked online today and they closed my Platinum Plus Visa with a $7000 limit.

And gave me Bank of America Accelerated Rewards American Express with and $8000 limit.

The platinum plus was only 6 months old so i dont care about the history.

But 3 hard pulls hurts.

At least it is an Amex with rewards and will get alot of use at COSTCO.

Were you pre approved?

I applied for the home depot store card online and it said 7-10 days. Is that going to be a denial? It said that further processing is required before a decision can be made.

I applied online for Bestbuy store card and was told to call in immideatly. I was at work so I couldn't call in.. then when I got in and check the message it gave me the message I was declined. I called in and they said my BB application was denied however they could offer me the bestbuy mastercard. The limit on the mastercard would be set at $300 with a $59 AF. I said yes to it and this week I got in my e-mail a message about my bestbuy rewardzone account. Still haven't gotten the card yet but soon as it comes I'm going to call them up and cancel. After they denied me I applied for Amex and was approved for $8K CL so the hell with hsbc.

I IIB'ed a Best Buy card with HSBC, but I wonder if HSBC would give me a Best Buy Mastercard?

I do get a preapproval on the Weekender card, I wonder if the Best Buy Mastercard is harder to get.

Edited by hairmetal4ever

Has anyone been preapproved for the HSBC weekender card and then declined when actually applying?

yes. I got that bad news just last week. Hard pull but I don't remember which CRB it was. Probably Exp =(

Yes, same for me. :huh: Hard pull on Exp.

So what are the chances of being pre-qualified and then denied during the real application? I just tried and was pre-qualified for Cap 1 Platinum and HSBC 2% cash back. It seems like a couple of weeks ago I was not pre-selected for either of these. I just don't want to waste a hard pull for nothing...I included both HSBC and Cap 1 in our BK about a year and a half ago.

So what are the chances of being pre-qualified and then denied during the real application? I just tried and was pre-qualified for Cap 1 Platinum and HSBC 2% cash back. It seems like a couple of weeks ago I was not pre-selected for either of these. I just don't want to waste a hard pull for nothing...I included both HSBC and Cap 1 in our BK about a year and a half ago.

well...the CRAP1 card will probably be THREE hard pulls. HSBC will probably offer you an alternative product if you are declined the 2% CB card (only one hard)

Yes, same for me. :lol: Hard pull on Exp.

Was yours an immediate denial, or were you given the 7-10 day message? I got the "Your application cannot be finalized right now. 10-14 days blah blah decision" message, but I've gotten two calls in the last 24 hours that were from an automated unknown caller saying it was to verify my phone number. I'm hoping that means I wasn't declined. We'll see, I guess. My EX score is 660 and I've had a stable payment history and low util for the last 2 years, so it could go either way.

I checked my app status again last night, and now it says I was approved for $3000. All right! I guess the 10-14 day message isn't an auto decline. My only other CC's are a $250 Sears card from 1999 and a $300 Cap1 from 4/2008. I'm excited to finally have a card that isn't subprime.

I checked my app status again last night, and now it says I was approved for $3000. All right! I guess the 10-14 day message isn't an auto decline. My only other CC's are a $250 Sears card from 1999 and a $300 Cap1 from 4/2008. I'm excited to finally have a card that isn't subprime.

what company gave you that 3K limit. Let me know!

I checked my app status again last night, and now it says I was approved for $3000. All right! I guess the 10-14 day message isn't an auto decline. My only other CC's are a $250 Sears card from 1999 and a $300 Cap1 from 4/2008. I'm excited to finally have a card that isn't subprigme.

what company gave you that 3K limit. Let me know!

It's the HSBC Weekend Card. I was prequalified using the hsbc

preselector link. The card arrived today. Yay!