Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Credit Card "Pre-Selector" sites?

Yeah several on the list here are pretty much "fake" prequalifiers. Discover and Bank of America are among the worst offenders. Why even offer a "prequalifier" tool if inputting Mickey Mouse gets you the same results as anything else? Deceptive marketing at its worst.

Of course, people shouldn't rely on prequals to tell them what to app for, but still. If you aren't going to give someone an honest prequal, then don't offer the feature at all, IMO.

According to BofA pre-qual page, my cat should apply for a BofA Visa

This may be a silly question but if you want to apply for more than one Cap one card, do you apply for one & then 5 minutes later apply for the other? I've read some saying apply for more than one card, but didn't know if there was a click on the ones you want to do it in a single transaction or you do it in two separate ones. I know if you do more than one Cap one on a single day it only counts as one hard pull.

I was going to do a Chase and a Cap, but evidently at some point I opted out of receiving offers from Chase. I probably thought I was opting out of regular junk mail. So thought I'd go for two Cap One cards.

Usually the app same day is for 2 cards from the same issuer. This would be to have the # of inquiries by that issuer on that day merged by the CRAs.

The procedure would be

1) app for #1

2) if approved for #1 go to step 5

3) recon app #1 ...

4) if declined on recon either go to step 3 (until you give up or run out of time) or step 5

5) app for #2

BTW - I did the soft pull/prequalify on Citi & it came back w/ this message. "We couldn't match your records to a pre-qualified credit card offer. See below for 4 other cards you make like." (Citi Simplicity, Double Cash, American Airlines Advantage MCard, Thank You Preferred Card, Hilton Honors Signature card). So does that message mean I'm not likely to get approved? Don't want to waste a hard pull for nothing. If I do decide to apply, input on which one has the best chance of approval. Advice? How is Barclay on approval? Hard to get? I know their pre-qualified link is down. I'm going w/ one more card (if approved) & then I'm done for the year.

Also, since I moved & had my mail switched to my po box, I'm using the street address I lived at for 6 years as I'm still in the mail forwarding timeframe & I figure I can change the billing address to the po box after I receive a card (assuming I get approved). I had read that you can't get approved w/ po box addresses, hence my going w/ the previous street address. The previous address does show up on my credit reports, but the official address (according to the post office/govt) is the po box. I don't know if that's impacting pre-qualified or doesn't matter.

This may be a silly question but if you want to apply for more than one Cap one card, do you apply for one & then 5 minutes later apply for the other? I've read some saying apply for more than one card, but didn't know if there was a click on the ones you want to do it in a single transaction or you do it in two separate ones. I know if you do more than one Cap one on a single day it only counts as one hard pull.

I was going to do a Chase and a Cap, but evidently at some point I opted out of receiving offers from Chase. I probably thought I was opting out of regular junk mail. So thought I'd go for two Cap One cards.

I apped for 2 at the same time And I had a second browser open so it was only 2 seconds apart. only one pull and approved both cards.

I tried the Cap One Quicksilver (I already have Cap One Venture) & received a message saying normally they'd get back to me in 60 seconds, but may need more info (something like that) & I'll receive an email or letter in 7-10 days & to not apply for another card w/ them until I received the email or letter. I figured that meant I wasn't approved, which surprised/disappointed me.

But about 15 minutes ago I received a call from Capital One Fraud Dept saying someone applied for a Quicksilver using my details & wanting to confirm that it was me. I said it was & they said they'd lift the fraud notice & hand it over to the other department for processing, & if approved I'd get the card in 7-10 days. So the trying the 2 in 1 day for 1 hard pull won't work for me & guess I'll find out in about 2-1/2 weeks whether it was approved or denied. Whether approved or denied, the mailing will go to the previous address/get forwarded to the po box & it takes an extra week or so for the forwarding mail to get forwarded even though the forwarding is the same town.

I meant to do this a couple of months ago & I've got some biz travel coming up so unless mailing arrives in the window btwn 2 trips I won't find out until late April if I was approved or not So now trying to decide whether to go for another card now since it's going to be 2 hard pulls anyway (see my other question above re: Citi, Barclay), or wait until end of April. If I did go for another card vs. waiting on the Quicksilver decision I'd like to do it sooner rather than later, so that if there's some required spend to hit a bonus I could use the card for one of the biz trips/hit the spend. After these 2 trips I'm not traveling until either late June (and that's up in the air) or September, so wouldn't have as much of a chance to hit an 'x' spend.

Appreciate all the input.

I just used the pre approved link for Chase and was instantly approved for a Chase Freedom. I don't know the CL yet.

My scores are in the 650-700 range I have one paid collection 5/2015 and Really bad student loans that came out of Default in Nov 2015 after I completed the loan rehab program. Prior to this I only had 2 CC's both 10 years old Capital one cards. QS and Platinum I believe.

Just used the Cap one prequalify link for my fiance and she was instantly Approved for a 30k dollar Cap one Venture Card

****, you've finished setting up your account!
You'll need your card to finalize access

For your security, you must have your card to activate your online account. When you receive your card in 7-10 business days, sign in and enter your card number. Your account will not be activated until you complete this final step.

Credit Limit

$30,000

Purchase Rate

18.24%

Variable APR

I received an email from Cap One that I was approved for the Quicksilver/it went out in yesterday's mail. Doesn't say the CL, so won't find out until I get home from trip. I checked Cap One online, but it's not showing there yet. Think I need to activate the card/link it to my other before it will show online.

I'd love some more info on a strategy. So back in February per the boards I received 2 cards. CL 300 each..in a couple weeks on the 18th will be the day after my 3rd statement cut and will hit the luv button. When do I start thinking about a PC or adding another card to the stable? FWIW..on one report per CCK my credit score went up 80 points when these cards starting reporting :yahoo:

I'd love some more info on a strategy. So back in February per the boards I received 2 cards. CL 300 each..in a couple weeks on the 18th will be the day after my 3rd statement cut and will hit the luv button. When do I start thinking about a PC or adding another card to the stable? FWIW..on one report per CCK my credit score went up 80 points when these cards starting reporting :yahoo:

I posted in the wrong thread..sorry. I don't know how to delete or edit a post

I tried cap one and bofa today and neither were approved, not even secured. Guess I must start over from scratch. Very disappointing.

I tried cap one and bofa today and neither were approved, not even secured. Guess I must start over from scratch. Very disappointing.

Oh no! Post your scores, debts & more specifics about profile. Some of the more seasoned folks can help you. Don't give up! CB can help you with some patience.