Target Per-Approval

The last post in this topic was posted 4771 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

i used to work at target. you need to make a couple purchases of $50 + with the same debit/credit so the system sees you spending money, after that a pre approval will pop out when you have enough transactions.

My sister works for Target and has never been told that it has to be $50+

Also, I have seen people get pre-approvals in front of me in line with less than $20 in purchases, you must be mistaken.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i used to work at target. you need to make a couple purchases of $50 + with the same debit/credit so the system sees you spending money, after that a pre approval will pop out when you have enough transactions.

How many is "enough" transactions?

Also, I have seen people get pre-approvals in front of me in line with less than $20 in purchases, you must be mistaken.

I think it may help.... but the one that spent $20 may have spent 50 the day before or 100 a week before and then get enought transactions in a period of time and so on......

Personally, I dont think there is pattern to it....

I had a friend went to Target twice and got one. First purchase was for 150 and then the next day had one for 100 and there was a pre-approval.... applied and got a 5k Visa..... three months past BK.....

I just dont get it!

I think it may help.... but the one that spent $20 may have spent 50 the day before or 100 a week before and then get enought transactions in a period of time and so on......

Personally, I dont think there is pattern to it....

I had a friend went to Target twice and got one. First purchase was for 150 and then the next day had one for 100 and there was a pre-approval.... applied and got a 5k Visa..... three months past BK.....

I just dont get it!

My purchases were 8 months of $100 (exact) gift card purchases about three times a month.

OK a little history, I have applied for the Target card 2 times now. Last summer I got rejected for the whole address thing, that was pre CB so I just gave up. This time I got the further processing notice. Now I have taking the low road.

I am doing a little experiment in which I will use my new OB card at target 3 days a week and see when I get a per-approval on the register. I will keep logging every purchase and then post the results.

I plan to go to target atleast 3 days a week. Planing on doing all my grocery and other shopping there too. so about 100-150 a month plus the $1 junk they sell that I really like. I work down the street from a new target store so it is even possible for me to go there twice a day if I wanted.

So today I was there. I did 3 transactions.

1. 2/27/08 4.03

2. 2/27/08 1.28 Target Cafe

3. 2/27/08 3.11

Please post your opinions and advice on what should be done more in my efforts

Everyone I know who has gotten it (including myself) has spent at least $50 during the visig using their credit or debit cards. I would assume that they have to verify some of your credit information when processing your transaction, which may explain how they give the pre-approval.

• 3 weeks later...

So far I have no gotten the pre-approval.

I have cleaned up my TU except for one 1874 discover CO. 2 new accounts. 2 inq.

I have been thinking about appliing again in-store this time.

What do you guys think will I get it? Is it even a good I dea to try.

• 3 weeks later...
Just so you know if you didn't already. A preapproval receipt is a guaranteed account if you can verify who you are using their system. If they ask you to apply at a register that is different, you are applying. When doing an actual application Target can be somewhat stingy and hard to get. I think they base their preapprovals off of customer shopping patterns. If you get one of the preapprovals, make sure they scan it. Some of the employees handle it like a regular application, this is wrong and will result in a denial if you don't meet their standards. If you are preapproved, it also is without an inquiry, where the application at the register will cost you an inquiry. We had to learn the hard way after a cashier did the preapproval like a regular application and we were denied, luckily another slip came 2 weeks later.

My niece was registered at Target for her baby shower. It's been literally years since I've shopped at Target, but since that's where she was registered, that's where I went. They asked at the check out register if I wanted to apply for the target card and save 10% on my purchase. I said yes, and was approved. I asked for the CL and the girl told me 1200. I was a little disappointed, but thought, oh well, since I rarely shop there anyway. Went to custmer service and paid off the $100 purchase I had just made. didn't think anything more of it.

Fast forward to yesterday. got the card in the mail, opened it and saw that the temporary CL for that day in store was 1200. My actual CL for the card is $10,000, and it's the VISA, not the store card I thought I was getting. (I pulled out the paperwork they had given me at the time I applied, and it said VISA, and the actual $10,000 limit.) So they actually matched my highest CL on other cards. Made me feel better for the inquiry. LOL. :)

So does this mean Target is storing our credit/debit card info to track what we spend?

UGh! IT's irritating to hear about people getting 10K when we've had 1K foreverr!!! and shop there several times a week at $150 to $300 per trip....I need some Target Love and I'm just not getting it!!! :angry:

My Sis in law went from 1K to 5 K in about 2 years with out asking...what does a girl need to do?????

So does this mean Target is storing our credit/debit card info to track what we spend?

Just about every store does this... Retail, online, etc. Have you ever thought about the amount of info Walmart has on each of us?

Edited by Xecuter2

I'm sure its more complicated than just dollars or frequency. Retailers are kings of data, see:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/14/business...jects/P/Privacy

I'm sure Target looks at the items you buy, how often, and when. They want to give cards to high-margin, impulsive shoppers with good disposable incomes.

The target pre-approvals system is probably going to remain as mysterious as how FICO comes up with our scores. We can know certain things might make us more likely, but we're never going to find out that if you buy 3 loafs of bread, 2 music CD's, and hemorrhoid medication you'll get a pre-approval slip.

I'll start tracking as well. i spent $65 there yesterday - small electronics and grocery. Nothing!

I have been offered them in the past and never had any idea that they were the golden ticket. I'll keep trying posting. It would also be good to note if the triggering purchase was a debit or credit.

Cheers!

Edited by powers64

asked:

What about when they ask you at the register if you'd like to apply for a card? Is that because they're seeing a pre-approval or do they ask everyone that? I don't shop at Target too much but the last few times I went there, I was asked this question and I declined every time. But after reading CB, it seems this one may be a good one for me to go after for the sake of adding another positive account.

...and answered:

Just so you know if you didn't already. A preapproval receipt is a guaranteed account if you can verify who you are using their system. If they ask you to apply at a register that is different, you are applying. When doing an actual application Target can be somewhat stingy and hard to get. I think they base their preapprovals off of customer shopping patterns. If you get one of the preapprovals, make sure they scan it. Some of the employees handle it like a regular application, this is wrong and will result in a denial if you don't meet their standards. If you are preapproved, it also is without an inquiry, where the application at the register will cost you an inquiry. We had to learn the hard way after a cashier did the preapproval like a regular application and we were denied, luckily another slip came 2 weeks later.

:(

The cruddy thing for me is that the nearest Target to me is like 35 miles away. I seriously got the Target Red card so that I could buy things online and in the future I am hoping that they change it over to the VISA card, so I can use it anywhere and not just Target. I am going past Target on Thursday so maybe I could stop in and buy a thing or two.

Here is the deal for a pre-approval... My DH was a lead at target (on a leave of absence right now)...

Their preapproval system is automated - it doesn't matter how much you spend... you just have to use some sort of card (which I used my debit card) and I received one a couple of weeks ago. Their system is nationwide and equals out to about 1 out of 3 transactions results in a pre-approval slip. Remember that is nationwide so if you don't get one time - you might get it the next. If I had tried to apply for this card myself, I would have been denied flat out... so I waited lol

Here is the deal for a pre-approval... My DH was a lead at target (on a leave of absence right now)...

Their preapproval system is automated - it doesn't matter how much you spend... you just have to use some sort of card (which I used my debit card) and I received one a couple of weeks ago. Their system is nationwide and equals out to about 1 out of 3 transactions results in a pre-approval slip. Remember that is nationwide so if you don't get one time - you might get it the next. If I had tried to apply for this card myself, I would have been denied flat out... so I waited lol

Anyone ever get pre-approvals for online purchases?

Anyone ever get pre-approvals for online purchases?

Nope it will not come from online... only in store... it comes with the receipt at the register and has a barcode on it :unsure:

My son and I both got preapproval receipts. My son reacted right away, and got a red card.

I didn't even realize I was pre-approved - just thought it was a coupon at the end of my receipt.

After my son was approved, I looked for my receipt, but it had expired.

I really wanted a Target card, so I reduplicated the situation where I received the first offer, the day, time, and amount spent along with card used to pay.

Sure enough, I got another offer at the end of my receipt.

FYI, both times I used a cc (small for CB'ers, but my one good card with $1,000.00 limit).

I went to customer service, and answered brief questions - no hard inquiry.

My son paid with his debit card. I paid with my credit card.

Whether they were tracking me or my purchases, I cannot say. I regularly shop at Target.

After 6 mos of our having our cards, my son spent more, but mostly on groceries, I spent less, but on fun stuff, I got a CLI.

I think that this is not as random as people think - and I do agree that it is somewhat on dollars - I think that the key may be in spending on fun things - not needs, but, that is just what I did, and no guarantee.

I have always loved Target, and now, when faced with the WalMart or Target choice, I choose Target, so hopefully, at intervals, my CLI will happen.

No Visa yet here, but happy with the Red Card. Just my own experience.

I hope that you all get your cards, or increases! :unsure::)

Edited by Sunnyone

Interesting...

Any idea how they decide who gets upgraded to the Visa?

I shopped about every two days at the same store for six weeks waiting for another pre-approval.

Then I decided to duplicate the conditions - same store, same time, same day of the week - sure enough.

I also watched while my son shopped for about 20 minutes, no one else seemed to get the offer.

Also, my son was accepted at the register, I went to customer service.

My son has not been increased, I have.

Just information about our experiences.

The last post in this topic was posted 4771 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.