The last post in this topic was posted 4764 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

My 8 year old is a smart kid, but he may be getting retained this year, because he is still failing reading, I bought hooked on phonics and books to try to help, for some reason I feel like I have failed them both somehow. I was an "A" student in school, so I dont understand them both lacking in the education department, I know my 8 year old can do better, he reads a lot and he went from a "F" to a "B" in math. I dont know how to get him to maximize his potential, he is getting services in school. When he doesnt complete his work, I sit with him to finish it, its weird he knows all the answers at home but wont do the work when he is supposed to at school.Then there is the soon to be 11 year old( he is labled as "disabled"), my baby has developmental and cognitive delays which means he and his brother are on the same level, he is in special ed and he will be there for the rest of his schooling. I hear there is a private school that might take him when he goes to junior high. He is a good student at school but I think he can do better. I want to point out I dont drill them like my parents did to me.

I actually told myself all I could ever have was disabled kids and that is why I wound up having a hysterectomy at 25 years old. I would have loved to have had another but I feel like I may have done society a favor.My fiance tells me I need to stop worrying about them, that they will be okay, but I worry you know? I want my babies to do good in school. I liked school. I got acccepted to plenty of universites,but turned them all down to go the military. I currently go to college now and have made the Dean's list. I know I need to stop holding my kids to the academic achievements I have, its hard though. I have to say I am proud of my 8 year old he was named student of the week today. He is a bad kid at times, but I was proud because I felt he is making progress.

If anyone knows of any websites to go to for disabled children I would be grateful, I want to learn more about parents who have disabled kids like myself and how they handle it. Hell if you got a story share it with me. :clapping:

Hi, I had a similar problem with my son - with his reading. It took a lot of hard work, late nights and tears, but he pulled through and is now in the 5th grade and reading at a 6th grade level. I broke down and sought out counseling. His doctor prescribed Adderall, because he was diagnosed with ADD (not the hyperactivity disorder).

My son would complete his homework, but "forget" to turn it in. He would space out in class and was not able to focus. I was reluctant at first, but I felt what I needed to do what was best for him. I went through the same things as you, wondering how I had a child that struggled in school, when I never did.

I wish you luck. Have patience, it will get easier.

Hi, I had a similar problem with my son - with his reading. It took a lot of hard work, late nights and tears, but he pulled through and is now in the 5th grade and reading at a 6th grade level. I broke down and sought out counseling. His doctor prescribed Adderall, because he was diagnosed with ADD (not the hyperactivity disorder).

My son would complete his homework, but "forget" to turn it in. He would space out in class and was not able to focus. I was reluctant at first, but I felt what I needed to do what was best for him. I went through the same things as you, wondering how I had a child that struggled in school, when I never did.

I wish you luck. Have patience, it will get easier.

Thanks a lot. You have no idea how much this helps. I will get him an appointment, I feel like I am admitting defeat somehow, but his education is worth it.

You haven't failed...not by a long shot.

Someone who has "failed" would have just thrown up their hands and quit or not give a crap.

I am sure that your 8 yr old has had testing? Dyslexia maybe? (not couch diagnosing, just offering up suggestions)

I am dyslexic. My spelling is an abomination to the english language :) . But I learned to read, and I quasi learned to spell (thank god for spell checkers). I learned to read and write phonetically.

I struggled all through school, but I did make it....both through high school and through college.

The only suggestion I can give (other than testing) is to try to make his work "fun" for him and not a chore...it will make him avoid it even more if it is a chore.

I will see if I can't find some freebie online stuff for you. (I have them all bookmarked.....somewhere, so it might take me a day or two to find them). What level is he currently reading on?

I have to take DD to bed now, but I will check back in the morning.

I would suggest YMCA tutoring. I took my son to that for his reading and it was phenomenal - he now reads for pleasure (a big thing). It's not as expensive as Sylvan but is created by the same guy that created Sylvan. They do testing to find out where he's missing information and then fill in the gaps. It did wonders for my son.

You haven't failed...not by a long shot.

Someone who has "failed" would have just thrown up their hands and quit or not give a crap.

I am sure that your 8 yr old has had testing? Dyslexia maybe? (not couch diagnosing, just offering up suggestions)

I am dyslexic. My spelling is an abomination to the english language :lol: . But I learned to read, and I quasi learned to spell (thank god for spell checkers). I learned to read and write phonetically.

I struggled all through school, but I did make it....both through high school and through college.

The only suggestion I can give (other than testing) is to try to make his work "fun" for him and not a chore...it will make him avoid it even more if it is a chore.

I will see if I can't find some freebie online stuff for you. (I have them all bookmarked.....somewhere, so it might take me a day or two to find them). What level is he currently reading on?

I have to take DD to bed now, but I will check back in the morning.

The last time I took him to the doctor they basically told me "oh, he is just being a typical kid", they told me he would be fine, but as you can thats not exactly the case. The really insane thing is that he started with an "F" in spelling, he now has a "B". So I am guessing, its what I said all along when he first started school, he has ADD/ADHD he is pretty hyper, trying to get him to sit in a chair and do his work, is like pulling teeth. I am literally sitting with him for 2 to 3 hours a day, studying,helping him with homework. I actually called a meeting with the school officials back in October, because looking at his grades, I could see he was having problems. He hates school, that much I know. But if you listen to this boy talk, you would swear he has been here before. I am glad I did, I think the teacher may have thought she was dealing with another parent who didnt care about her child, I let her know real quick, that I do care, I want him to get an education. I sat down with several thereapists and the principal, who was beyond baffled. A therapist said she has seen this before, they just have been trying to figure out what to do with him. I am going up there Tuesday, because for some reason no has sent me the results of when they tested him, I dont even know if they got the results back yet :clapping: , school year is coming to a close in a few months and I dont want to see my son retained. You know what I really hate is that when it comes to my boys I have always been the one who looked after their education, even when I was married to their father, he never went to one damn parent teacher conference! He never sat and read with them or helped with their homework. I did it all and I still am. I am the one that gets to deal with all the stress and getting all the bad news, while he bleeping sits on the sidelines with complaints what an a**hole. Anyway, I figure I will take the results of his meeting, report card and teacher observations to a doctor and get him officially diagnosed.

My 11 year old, he was born with a diaphramatic hernia and almost died at birth. :cry2: He had surgery within the first week of his life, the six days prior to that he was on life support and every other machine you could imagine. In the process there was hemorraging (that spelling dont look right) in his brain, luckily it wasnt to the point where they had to pull him off life support. Then he fell about 5 years ago, on a concrete floor, he had a seizure within hours, sat on a respirator for the first 72 hours, the doctor came to me and told they saw the old hemorrhages in his brain, the damage is not fixable, now he stutters when he talks. He gets a lot of services at school, I ask God why sometimes. I didnt drink, smoke or anything with either of them, and still I have all of this. I know there are kids worse off than mine, but it still hurts. Sorry so long

What has the teacher done to help the eight year old? Are there small groups? Does she do DRA testing? I teach 8 & 9 year olds and I have to do both. Even with other diagnoses, she could help in other areas. The DRA testing can help figure out what a child is having trouble with. It pinpoints their reading level and you can determine what the problems are (decoding, fluency, comprehension, etc). If done correctly, you find out a world of information and use that to plan small group lessons. The students read books on their level and you focus on the problem areas.

Even if the school doesn't have DRA kits, she can do a running record with any leveled text and find out the same information. You could probably do that at home if she doesn't. If you want more info on that, just pm me and let me know.

I do want to say that I have had a lot of success with struggling readers doing the above. It's not perfect, but it does help tremendously. My kids are progressing. However, that's not to say that outside help isn't necessary. Do what you need to do and what is best for your child.

Demejoe,

I haven't found that link yet, but I just remembered something.

While DD was doing her gymnastics thing the other day, I was killing time and flipping through a catalog of educational material. Much of it had to do with special ed/special needs. This wasn't a normal "school supply" type catalog...it looked like it was more for dealing with psychological and learning issues. They have a lot of board games and the like for children. All the things that I had looked at had been developed by psychologists (in the narrative it said who and where the game was developed)

I will write myself a note to ask around for it when we go back on Monday evening. I don't recall the name of the company, but I am betting that they have a website.

I remember when looking through the catalog that I thought how much I wished that I had some of these materials back when DS was struggling through school.

Believe me, I know the heartache a parent feels when a child is struggling. :clapping:

Thanks to all of you for your words of encouragement and advice. I think he did have some testing in regards to his reading, the results stated he was reading at a 1.8 reading level. Almost 2nd grade but he is supposed to be heading for 3rd. I know his class has 25 other students, the teacher is a bit lazy, she used to have a student teacher, that student teacher was shouldering the burden on her own, while the original teacher just sat and had coffee breaks, now that the studet teacher has gone, she is looking slightly worse for wear. Oh well, I just have to keep plugging away to help my babies.

The last post in this topic was posted 4764 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.