Sign in to follow this  
Burgerwars

Bank of the West - The Forgotten Bank

In searching the credit pulls database, I didn't find one entry for Bank of the West. I just added mine ($12,000 approval for a Visa card this week). This will be the only card I plan to apply for this year. I also opened a checking account with them.

I was surprised that Bank of the West wasn't mentioned. They're big. BancWest is the holding company for both Bank of the West and First Hawaiian Bank and BancWest is a wholly own subsidiary of BNP Paribas. But from reviewing their websites, it looks like using your ATM card at the bank that's not your name (like me going to Hawaii and sticking my card in a First Hawaiian Bank ATM), will be treated as a foreign ATM transaction with an added fee. I would think otherwise.

My dad's oldest Visa (from like FORTY years ago) eventually became a Bank of the West. After all this time, I think his CL is like 15K.

:rofl:

Congrats on the approval!

I've never applied even though they have branches here. IIRC when I researched them it looked like an EX pull and I'd rather expend those of good rewards products like Patelco.

was it an EX pull?

Was it an EX pull?

Yep.

Ouch (unless you put a freeze move down ahead of time)

Not worried. That's only the second inquiry on my Experian report, with the other due to fall off in July.

I'm behaving myself and not applying for anything else this year. I'm considering buying a vacation home, and thus can't start going hog-wild applying.

I was pre-approved for a $12k MasterCard when I opened my checking account yesterday.

So, $12k may be their default for new credit card accounts.

I was pre-approved for a $12k MasterCard when I opened my checking account yesterday.

Did you accept the offer?

Ron.

Ron.

No, Ron, their cards only go up to $25k.

Ron.

Bob,

So you want to save it for Penfed Amex (the big one). :lol:

Ron.

Ron.

Bob,

So you want to save it for Penfed Amex (the big one). :lol:

Ron.

When PenFed offers it to me again, it's only going to be $20k since I already have $30k on their Visa. :(

There are a few banks that do offer a fresh start or second chance checking account. The one bank that does come to mind is BANK OF THE WEST that does offer a fresh start account for customers that have had previous issues with chex systems.

Good to know. :)

Do you guys know what bureau they pull?

TheBanker thinks it's Equifax for Cali.

http://creditboards....dpost&p=4577332

To clarify: when I applied, I had EX and EQ frozen. I received a call from a very nice BotW underwriter who explained they were unable to pull EQ, and if I had another report unfrozen, and if so, which I'd prefer them to pull.

This was 2010 or so, I think. The underwriter and I talked for a bit, and he said they generally pull EQ in CA now, but this was 2010.

I'm good friends with a branch manager at my local Bank of the West, so I'll ask him as to what the preferred CBR is for them now, once I return to California. :)