Sign in to follow this  
LikeItOrNot

Can someone make you sign the back of your card?

I used my credit card somewhere and it wasn't signed. I didn't sign it just because I didn't want to make the card look ugly. lol And most stores I use it in have the self scan thing. One place, the lady takes it and asks for my license because it wasn't signed. Then she throws a pen at me and says she "needs a signature" on the card. Umm she saw my license, why does she "need" to see a signature on the card? I think she was just on a power trip. :lol:

All cards say Not Valid unless signed....

Therefore if a merchant accepts a card that isn't signed they could be ool if something goes bad....

There are several threads mentioning this on the board (as I've seen from browsing). The back of your card MUST be signed in order for the merchant to accept it, according to your credit card agreement (no "see ID", "CID", whatever).

I usually never sign cards... don't really see the point because in a few minutes it will be smudged, smeared and no longer legible. A few times I've had a merchant tell me to sign the card. Don't really see the point but I do not care either way.

(slightly off topic...sorry)....thanks to the browsing I've done on this board, I also learned that merchants cannot make a debit/credit card sale contingent on the customer showing ID. My husband and I own a restaurant and had a few chargebacks a couple years ago. When the chargebacks started producing themselves, we started asking for ID (seemed like a logical system at the time)....I don't think anyone ever refused to produce an ID. So, the day I read that on here, I immediately called my husband and told him to change the policy. So, we check signatures on the back of cards against the signature on the receipt now.

Personally I never sign any of my cards, because of the nature of the policy (that the cards have to be processed and accepted if they're signed with out ID) should any of my cards inadvertently fall into the wrong hands with out my knowledge before I could cancel them, I hate to imagine them charging up a fast 100K because the cards were all signed and they didn't need to provide any ID. :angry: :angry: that could be a serious mess to clean up.

(Just my personal choice, I'm not advocating others do this, after all the Visa policy police are everywhere)

Sign your cards "SEE PHOTO ID" or be a policy nazi enforcement supertrooper, the choice is yours.

Edited by Sultan

Well, the thing about not signing your cards is, the person who steals them can just put his/her signature on there -- or your signature in his/her handwriting, rather -- so that it matches the slip.

Just saying. I sign mine AND write "see ID" on them, in Sharpie.

i went to the post office to have something shipped this past summer, and the associate who rung me up would not let me use any of my cc's since i did not sign the back of them. i even showed my driver license and she still wouldn't let me use it, fortunately i had cash on me though.

Do you think the card says "Not valid unless signed" for no reason at all?

Most stores don't care enough to even look. But they can require that you sign it before it's accepted.

Well, the thing about not signing your cards is, the person who steals them can just put his/her signature on there -- or your signature in his/her handwriting, rather -- so that it matches the slip.

Just saying. I sign mine AND write "see ID" on them, in Sharpie.

Exactly! and even though we do that (in my post above I said sign them "SEE PHOTO ID") as others have said many times the wont look.

(slightly off topic...sorry)....thanks to the browsing I've done on this board, I also learned that merchants cannot make a debit/credit card sale contingent on the customer showing ID. My husband and I own a restaurant and had a few chargebacks a couple years ago. When the chargebacks started producing themselves, we started asking for ID (seemed like a logical system at the time)....I don't think anyone ever refused to produce an ID. So, the day I read that on here, I immediately called my husband and told him to change the policy. So, we check signatures on the back of cards against the signature on the receipt now.

Merchants can not ask for ID, IF the customer presents a SIGNED card.

No signature? Cough up the ID.

For example, here is Mastercard's policy, straight out of the manual.

2.1.1.3 Unsigned Cards

If the card is not signed, the card acceptor must:

• obtain an authorization from the issuer, and

• ask the cardholder to provide identification (but not record the cardholder

identification information), and

• require the cardholder to sign the card.

The card acceptor must not complete the transaction if the cardholder refuses

to sign the card.

Personally I never sign any of my cards, because of the nature of the policy (that the cards have to be processed and accepted if they're signed with out ID) should any of my cards inadvertently fall into the wrong hands with out my knowledge before I could cancel them, I hate to imagine them charging up a fast 100K because the cards were all signed and they didn't need to provide any ID. :D:P that could be a serious mess to clean up.

(Just my personal choice, I'm not advocating others do this, after all the Visa policy police are everywhere)

Sign your cards "SEE PHOTO ID" or be a policy nazi enforcement supertrooper, the choice is yours.

see id is not a valid siggy

I never sign my cards either, and have only had a problem at the Disney store. Most other merchants that even take notice of the fact that they are signature-less just scold me and send me on my way. I guess the argument about safety can lean both ways, but it seems to me, the best protection are cards that allow a photo to be printed on them. For the life of me, I can't understand why more cards don't permit it.

my sister works at a CU and travels extensively. My BF travels a great deal as well. *BOTH* recommend signing your card per the cardholder agreement if you plan on traveling in a non-English speaking country. Most merchants overseas will not accept cards with "See ID" or "CID" unless that is your signature. My sister has dealt with many irate cardholders traveling and finding their cards are not being accepted because they are not signed properly

As I plan to join my sister and BF in traveling overseas - from England to Egypt - I sign my cards (in green sharpie) and place a thin piece of cellophane tape over it.I have yet to have the signature rub off on any cards I do this with - that includes the debit card I have had for years.

JM2C YMMV

I usually never sign cards... don't really see the point because in a few minutes it will be smudged, smeared and no longer legible. A few times I've had a merchant tell me to sign the card. Don't really see the point but I do not care either way.

we sign with sharpies so the signature lasts longer... but the other day someone actually did check my signature and the card's was smeared and barely visible. a lotta good that did...

but the card says it is not valid unless signed... it doesn't say it needs to be legible and not smeared.

I never sign my cards either, and have only had a problem at the Disney store. Most other merchants that even take notice of the fact that they are signature-less just scold me and send me on my way. I guess the argument about safety can lean both ways, but it seems to me, the best protection are cards that allow a photo to be printed on them. For the life of me, I can't understand why more cards don't permit it.

get a hair cut, change your color or style, gain or lose weight and they might refuse because it doesn't look like you... plus it would be hell trying to get the pics with the card holders so spread out. It's one thing when your bank take the pic in the branch at the time of app (BOA, for my check card. It didn't have the pic on it when it came though) but totally different when it's chase or amex issuing their popular CCs

I believe one should follow the conditions of one's financial products. using an unsigned card means you forfeit all the card bennies.

They can't "make" you sign it, but if it isn't signed you can't "make" them accept it either.

I think people make too big a deal out of all this not signing or "see id" stuff. Why is it such a big deal?

Sometimes it's easier for everyone just to be cooperative and work within the system.

I know the post office won't accept any card that aren't signed. However I also know there is no reason to ever use the counter at the post office.

unless you are shipping a package over 16oz and it has to be handed over to a clerk (but then again, you can still get postage at the kiosk, but that seems like a waste when you're going to counter anyway).

Sign the cards.

If someone asks you for ID, I don't see the point in getting huffy.....

These threads are odd to me.

Don't try using a card signed "See ID" at the USPS - they will not accept it.

Im glad they wont ..

And where would this be?

I've used my cards at my local USPS several times, after they look at my card they ask to see my drivers license, then process payment. No problem what so ever.

((GEORGE brought this issue to the boards RE: sign your cards! and I think because he did he swore that everyone needed to comply or they were violating the law, (salamanders) policies etc. - I'm still not buying it - I don't care how many times I hear it - personally I'm fine with having my own opinion on certain things I feel strongly about, again my intention is to simply do what is right for me, and me alone, I'm not advocating others should share my opinion))

Has anyone ever called Visa and asked if they can sign their cards "See Photo ID" or if they can include that along with their official sig. (The Visa Policy of not requiring I.D. for a card that is signed is bizarre)

I agree these threads are odd; (good arguing potential though) This will be the last time I participate in one of these discussions (with out further data directly from Visa)