Sign in to follow this  
MarvBear

Circuit City vs MarvBear

Wow....................just got off the phone with Circuit City Corporate.

They absolutely will not bend on their policy.

They exchange was mildly heated, but after she suggested that maybe I had something to hide, since I refused to show ID, THEN I suggested that maybe they should have called the ******* police since they obviously suspect a thief in their store.

LOL, this has become kinda personal now.

Can't wait to see their formal written response to my BBB complaint.

Marv,

Did you ask corporate why you ask some for id and not others?

What was the response when you said the Circuit City is violating credit card policy?

Did you also tell them to read credit boards?

Edited by webworm98

Their response was a reiteration of their policy and to apologize that I was inconvenienced.

It's evident their policy is not applied evenhandedly.

When I asked her to quit reading the script, and just talk to me one on one, is where it started to go downhill and I esentially was accused of having something to hide.

Brainwashed.

I guess the amount of money I routinely SPENT (past tense) in this store is inconsequential for future prospective business. It's funny though, their system can identify you by your home telephone number, which I would have provided if I had been asked, as I have been before.

Now, I'm just waiting on the BBB complaint response.

I'm no lawyer, etc....But cashiers "randomly" (sp?) asking for ID could be considered (ahh, whats the word???) Profiling(sp?)

Tell them you're calling Jesse Jackson!

Wow....................just got off the phone with Circuit City Corporate.

They absolutely will not bend on their policy.

They exchange was mildly heated, but after she suggested that maybe I had something to hide, since I refused to show ID, THEN I suggested that maybe they should have called the ******* police since they obviously suspect a thief in their store.

Very interesting MarvBear, because here in this hot spot of DL-required-for-CC-purchase area where I am, Circuit City didn't even ask me 2 days ago when I was there.

In the ongoing saga of Mountain Mike's they also are insisting that they are not going to change their policy and their resolution to our complaint is to say that they will now take orders from us for cash only and continue to insist that their lawyers says there is a California law that allows merchant to require ID. We'll see.

I'm no lawyer, etc....But cashiers "randomly" (sp?) asking for ID could be considered (ahh, whats the word???) Profiling(sp?)

Not anymore than TSA's random screenings.

Not anymore than TSA's random screenings.

the TSA is largely indemnified; a private enterprise is not.

I've seen cashiers not ask someone dressed well for ID while bum-like hegemony is always asked.

Ummmmmmmmmmmm, this particular time, I was very well dressed.

Unlike the last few times I visited there.

Especially unlike the time I dropped like 7k on one HD Plasma TV setup, where I was in ragged shorts and tee shirt and flip flops. Didn't ask for ID then, and I assure you I looked rougher than hades.

MarvBear I dont chime in too much, but this is horrid. Dont these moroon know who you are???? If they dont they are about to find out, as YOU better NOT let this SLIDE... Not sure if its personal or not but they dont need to treat anyone like this, I just can't believe it!

Your in your FI office and, the sales guy brings you his customers paperwork and you review it.. Oh Mr SO works for Circuit City, application DENIED.. or write him paper for 28% interest....

Hope there is a light here at the end of the day.....

Circuit City:

Last trade: $3.75

52-week range: $3.47 - $22.02

EPS: $ -1.98

DOLTS!

:dance::clapping::clapping::rofl:

I have already said that there is a BIG difference between the De Facto policy and the written one. Well, it seems that there isn't big of a difference anymore as VISA now publicly (via their website) instructs you to "displaying personal ID as requested by a merchant."

Do you have a link for that? I don't doubt you, actually, I just couldn't find it. I'd like to fire off a letter to VISA and ask them to clarify their seeming inconsistency, and would like to be able to point to specific references.

Not that it'd do any good, but ya never know.

And most importantly, take your bag of Doritos and step to the side to handle the issue with the manager. Don't hold up the line for those of us who don't have a problem showing ID with CC purchases!
Hardly any worse than the 75 yr old check-writing customer who insists on balancing their checkbook right then and there after every purchase.
Found the link-certainly does seem to indicate that merchants cand require ID now. ;)

http://www.usa.visa.com/personal/security/...ection%20Basics

sweet! :sorry:

Gotta love when the card issuers have conflicting information

:swoon: I still think showing ID is not wise, but I gotta admit this is quite funny.

Don’t volunteer any personal information when you use your credit card, other than by displaying personal ID as requested by a merchant.

Ok... isn't this contradictory all by itself?

Well, if you wanna get TECHNICAL and all, not really. They said don't volunteer...not don't comply if it's asked :good:

But it does sound funny.

The exchange was mildly heated, but after she suggested that maybe I had something to hide, since I refused to show ID, THEN I suggested that maybe they should have called the ******* police since they obviously suspect a thief in their store.

The brainwashed zombie with no common sense you spoke with on the phone should be reported as well. Obviously it is an extreme invasion of privacy and a no-brainer to keep your ID to yourself. No reasonable adult would hand over their ID to some jackass cashier at Circuit City or anywhere.

CREDIT CARD SIGNATURE IS ALL THE ID NEEDED

When you pay for merchandise with a Visa card, MasterCard, or American Express any store that accepts these cards should accept yours too, no questions asked. It's part of the deal that merchants agree to when they become participating members.

They must check your signature and the card - electronically or by telephone - to be sure it's valid. Once the answer comes up yes, they can go ahead and charge. They can't ask you for any further identification - not a license plate number, Social Security number, proof of address, phone number or picture ID.

Your personal ID isn't needed because Visa, MasterCard, and American Express all guarantee payment on cards that have been properly checked. If the issuer mistakenly authorizes a sale on a bad card, it should make good. MasterCard says that merchants receive instant settlement.

Unfortunately, not all merchants play by the rules. Some, apparently, haven't read them.

WHAT YOU CAN DO

MasterCard wants to hear about merchants who break their rules. Send the name and address and an account of what happened to MasterCard International, c/o Radio City Station, P. O. Box 1288, New York, NY 10101. The merchant's bank will get a stiff letter, ordering it to investigate and bring the offending store into line - or pay a $2,000 fine.

Visa enforces the same rules as MasterCard. "When we hear about a violation, we ask the bank that signed the merchant to get together with the merchant and see that the practice is stopped," Visa representative states. To report a merchant, send a letter to the bank that issued your Visa card.

American Express also prohibits merchants from asking for IDs. "All a merchant is supposed to do is take an imprint, make sure the signature matches and swipe the card through the terminal, to get authorization."

blah blah blah

You know, you could just put that in your signature and save yourself an awful lot of cut and paste time.

blah blah blah

You know, you could just put that in your signature and save yourself an awful lot of cut and paste time.

New people, such as myself, have found it very helpful.

No reasonable adult would hand over their ID to some cashier at Circuit City or anywhere.

I strongly disagree and I am a reasonable adult. If I asked for it, I would give it.

Anyway if you think about it. You give your id out at a lot of places. Very few merchants let you return your purchase without an ID. A few places require your address & phone as well for returns.

As far as Circuit city. They were wrong in this case. Do to the fact they didn't ask ID for all of the card purchases. If they are going to have an ID policy, everyone needs to be asked.

Edited by webworm98

No reasonable adult would hand over their ID to some cashier at Circuit City or anywhere.

I strongly disagree and I am a reasonable adult. If I asked for it, I would give it.

Anyway if you think about it. You give your id out at a lot of places. Very few merchants let you return your purchase without an ID. A few places require your address & phone as well for returns.

As far as Circuit city. They were wrong in this case. Do to the fact they didn't ask ID for all of the card purchases. If they are going to have an ID policy, everyone needs to be asked.

I'll show them if asked. Mostly because at the point that I am at the register, I'm just ready to get my purchase done and get on home. I don't feel like driving all over po-diddly to find the same thing and go through the entire purchase thing again. Nor do I feel like wasting my valuable time talking to a cashier or manager about Visa/MC policy. :aggressive:

Dear Marv:

This message is in regard to your complaint submitted on 1/12/2008 6:20:13 PM against Circuit City Stores, Inc.. Your complaint was assigned ID 5931773.

Thank you for contacting the Better Business Bureau. The Bureau's role in any dispute between a business and its customer is that of a neutral third party. We are available to help facilitate communication between the two parties and to offer advice where appropriate. In some instances there is no opportunity for the company to rectify the situation. In those cases we are happy to share customer comments with the company without requesting a reply.

We have reviewed your complaint carefully and determined it will be used for informational purposes only. We have forwarded a copy of your complaint to the company and placed a copy in the company's file.

While your experience will not be processed as a formal complaint, it will assist us in evaluating the company's overall business performance history. Although Circuit City Stores, Inc. may choose to respond, they are not required to do so.

We appreciate your calling our attention to your experience. If you have any questions, please feel free to call me at (804) 648-0016.

Sincerely,

Crystal Hanvey

The Better Business Bureau

I give up.

like peeing up a rope.

I'll show them if asked. Mostly because at the point that I am at the register, I'm just ready to get my purchase done and get on home. I don't feel like driving all over po-diddly to find the same thing and go through the entire purchase thing again. Nor do I feel like wasting my valuable time talking to a cashier or manager about Visa/MC policy. :huh:

we are proud of you sheep lol

Dear Marv:

This message is in regard to your complaint submitted on 1/12/2008 6:20:13 PM against Circuit City Stores, Inc.. Your complaint was assigned ID 5931773.

Thank you for contacting the Better Business Bureau. The Bureau's role in any dispute between a business and its customer is that of a neutral third party. We are available to help facilitate communication between the two parties and to offer advice where appropriate. In some instances there is no opportunity for the company to rectify the situation. In those cases we are happy to share customer comments with the company without requesting a reply.

We have reviewed your complaint carefully and determined it will be used for informational purposes only. We have forwarded a copy of your complaint to the company and placed a copy in the company's file.

While your experience will not be processed as a formal complaint, it will assist us in evaluating the company's overall business performance history. Although Circuit City Stores, Inc. may choose to respond, they are not required to do so.

We appreciate your calling our attention to your experience. If you have any questions, please feel free to call me at (804) 648-0016.

Sincerely,

Crystal Hanvey

The Better Business Bureau

I give up.

like peeing up a rope.

That just the standard letter then send anyone. All the bbb does is forward the complaint on to the merchant and puts a black mark on their record if they think the complaint is valid.

Consumers return countless purchases with receipt only every day. The credit card used for purchase is automatically credited upon return. ID is not needed.

Edited by Continental

I've seen cashiers not ask someone dressed well for ID while bum-like hegemony is always asked.

I've seen cashiers ask the african-american person in front of me for ID, and then not me,(white), which is one of the reasons this issue started dawning on me in the first place.

I myself stopped shopping at CC over 8 years ago and to this day have not and will not spend another penny in one of their stores. They lost a very good electronics cust. I told the salesman when I walked out that I hope to someday see the big yellow banner hanging over the doors that says "GOING OUT OF BUSINESS SALE" and only then will I walk back in.

d*mn them hasn't happened yet but still waiting.

I myself stopped shopping at CC over 8 years ago and to this day have not and will not spend another penny in one of their stores. They lost a very good electronics cust. I told the salesman when I walked out that I hope to someday see the big yellow banner hanging over the doors that says "GOING OUT OF BUSINESS SALE" and only then will I walk back in.

d*mn them hasn't happened yet but still waiting.

at 3 bucks a share for their stock it probably wont be too much longer.

Sign in to follow this  

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines