Sign in to follow this  
MarvBear

Circuit City vs MarvBear

Left work, stopped by the local Circuit City Store #3560 on the way home to buy some DVD's.

As usuall, I wasn't in a great mood, just in a hurry to get home and kick back and relax some.

Didn't ask the KID in front of me for ID.

My turn at the register.

I already had my card out. Cashier looked at me and said "won't make it go any faster if you slide the card before I ring things up".

Now I'm thinking "what's up with that? wasn't gonna swipe the card before the total showed anyways!"

so I just said 'OK"

total was like $65.00 and I swipped my AMEX and he said "need to see your ID"

I said "No, please check the back of the card, it is signed."

cashier "sir, I still need to see your id"

me "go get your manager"

waits

waits

waits

calls AMEX from cell phone while waiting.

Cashier comes back says" Mgr says I MUST produce it"

Me" Well, lest just use a Visa or a Mastercard then"

cashier " NO CREDIT CARDS IN THIS STORE WITHOUT ID"

They won, I left the mdse there and walked out.

When I left circuit city, I called the store and asked to speak to the manager who would not face me. ON HOLD...............

ON HOLD............

went accross the street to Wal*mart and purchased the same 3 DVD's without ID.

OH HOLD.

got back in my car, drove back to circuit city.

ON HOLD.

walked into the store.

ON HOLD.

walked upto the CSR desk and saw the clerk pick up the phone again and put me BACK ON HOLD.

I just said "sweetheart, you can hang that line up, that's me you put back on eternal hold. I figured it'd be quicker to talk to the store manager if I came back here in person and waited over to the side, please go get him/her"

MR MGR..........."corporate policy WE SEE ID FIRST or we do not take a Credit card."

me.. "but as a merchant myself, surely you are aware of Merchant Credit card guidelines?"

MGR "STOP"

MGR "Sir if you dont show your ID you cannot use a credit card in this store"

Round one Circuit City Store Manager.

Just filed online complaint with Circuit City Website

Just filed online complaint with the BBB to Circuit City Corporate.

Just filed online complaint with AMEX

Just filed online complaint with MasterCard

Just telephoned an Incident Report to VISA.

Gee, I cant remember when I've been so mad, I was trembling.

Never showed ID there before after 2 Plasma TV's and countless other mdse.

Bets on round two?

Thank you for submitting a merchant violator report to MasterCard Worldwide. We are reviewing your report and will be contacting the merchant's acquirer to address the situation.

Your issue is regarding Circuit City located in zipcode 34613.

Please note: MasterCard is not able to provide updates/outcomes of individual violation reports.

Dear Cardmember,

This auto-generated e-mail is confirmation that we have received your inquiry and will respond within 48 hours.

You will receive a second e-mail with instructions for accessing the American Express® Secure Message Center when our response is available for viewing.

Sincerely,

American Express Customer Service

We have received your complaint and we are currently reviewing it.

BBB Serving Central Virginia, Inc. (Richmond, VA)

701 E. Franklin Street, Ste. 712

Richmond, VA 23219-2332

Phone: (804)648-0016

Fax: (804)648-3115

Email: info@richmond.bbb.org

Web: www.richmond.bbb.org

I called VISA once and I was informed by the representative that if a Store has policies in place to prevent fraud, they are allowed to do that! The rep goes on to say that they cannot refuse a sale if you refuse to provide supplemental information with a signed credit card purchase. Crazy!

I called VISA once and I was informed by the representative that if a Store has policies in place to prevent fraud, they are allowed to do that! The rep goes on to say that they cannot refuse a sale if you refuse to provide supplemental information with a signed credit card purchase. Crazy!

I have first-hand experience that says VISA CSRs do not always know thier own policies. More than once.

Marv I was told long ago at a Circuit City to show my ID or get out. I have sent you a PM with some information that may prove useful.

Circuit City is no longer requiring ID in my area. It has been a prolonged fight on my part but somehow in the past few weeks I've finally won this.

Edited by thelowpriceleader

Left work, stopped by the local Circuit City Store #3560 on the way home to buy some DVD's.

As usual, I wasn't in a great mood, just in a hurry to get home and kick back and relax some.

cashier " NO CREDIT CARDS IN THIS STORE WITHOUT ID

Did you ask them why the person in front of you was not asked for id if that is their policy?

Edited by webworm98

No I did not ask. I was trembling I was so mad. However I did mention it in the complaints that I filed.

It's kinda funny looking back on it today. I normally would not have flinched and actually showed my ID, had it not been for the manner in which I was treated. I actually snapped, with a little demon in the back of my head that went into full attack mode.

Neither myself nor my SO, have been previously requested to show ID. I'd estimate I have spent approximately 15K there within the last 2 years.

I just got up, so after some coffee, I may go back there today.

SO will kill me if I do that, I've been warned.

I got up feeling kinda grouchy today anyways.

Thank you for submitting a merchant violator report to MasterCard Worldwide. We are reviewing your report and will be contacting the merchant's acquirer to address the situation.

Your issue is regarding Circuit City located in zipcode 34613.

Please note: MasterCard is not able to provide updates/outcomes of individual violation reports.

That’s telling in and of itself…

Don’t be surprised when VISA>MC>AMEX amends that little part about not showing ID in the near future. Or at least dont take corrective measures when its reported.

XXXXX[/b] post='2852525' date='Jan 13 2008, 09:49 AM']Did you ask them why the person in front of you was not asked for id if that is their policy?

100% Bear discrimination!

Marv, you spent A LOT of time on this one.

Cant say I blame you though.

When you went back to the store and saw them put you back on HOLD I would have lunged across the customer service desk and wrapped that phone card around their skinny little neck!

Edited by KYBOSH

Did you ask them why the person in front of you was not asked for id if that is their policy?

;) Why did you quote me? He all ready answered the question.

The answer is

No I did not ask. I was trembling I was so mad. However I did mention it in the complaints that I filed.

Dont be surprised when VISA>MC>AMEX amends that little part about not showing ID in the near future. Or at least dont take corrective measures when its reported.

How do you know that MasterCard and Visa will change their policies?

Edited by webworm98

Did you show them the Same dvd's with the receipt from Wm that you bought without id.

Get um Marv Get um. They messed with the wrong bear. ;):)

nah, I didn't show them the receipt, although I did have it in my pocket.

Probably the most dismaying thing I've encountered is the smug, condescending attitude in which I was treated.

We'll see how this goes, I've filed BBB complaints before, and used them to my advantage successfully.

I usually stop there on either Tuesday or Wednesday nites to pick up the latest releases that interest me. It's not like I'm a stranger in that store.

As part of the resolution, I've asked for a written letter of apology from Circuity City corporate and the Store #3560 Sales Manager and Store #3560 General Manger in writing.

I wish they'd a called the police on me.

They have the MC/Visa/AMEX logo's on their doors, but no signs indicating that ID is a condition of sale along with those signs.

As usuall, I wasn't in a great mood, just in a hurry to get home and kick back and relax some.

My turn at the register.

I already had my card out. Cashier looked at me and said "won't make it go any faster if you slide the card before I ring things up".

Now I'm thinking "what's up with that? wasn't gonna swipe the card before the total showed anyways!"

so I just said 'OK"

total was like $65.00 and I swipped my AMEX and he said "need to see your ID"

I said "No, please check the back of the card, it is signed."

cashier "sir, I still need to see your id"

me "go get your manager"

waits

waits

waits

cashier " NO CREDIT CARDS IN THIS STORE WITHOUT ID"

They won, I left the mdse there and walked out.

When I left circuit city, I called the store and asked to speak to the manager who would not face me. ON HOLD...............

ON HOLD............

went accross the street to Wal*mart and purchased the same 3 DVD's without ID.

OH HOLD.

got back in my car, drove back to circuit city.

ON HOLD.

walked into the store.

ON HOLD.

walked upto the CSR desk and saw the clerk pick up the phone again and put me BACK ON HOLD.

I just said "sweetheart, you can hang that line up, that's me you put back on eternal hold. I figured it'd be quicker to talk to the store manager if I came back here in person and waited over to the side, please go get him/her"

MR MGR..........."corporate policy WE SEE ID FIRST or we do not take a Credit card."

me.. "but as a merchant myself, surely you are aware of Merchant Credit card guidelines?"

MGR "STOP"

MGR "Sir if you dont show your ID you cannot use a credit card in this store"

Round one Circuit City Store Manager.

Just filed online complaint with Circuit City Website

Just filed online complaint with the BBB to Circuit City Corporate.

Just filed online complaint with AMEX

Just filed online complaint with MasterCard

Just telephoned an Incident Report to VISA.

Gee, I cant remember when I've been so mad, I was trembling.

Never showed ID there before after 2 Plasma TV's and countless other mdse.

Completely illegal, shocking, and outrageous! Merchants cannot make ID a condition of acceptance. Make sure your community is violation-free. No one should ever be asked for ID at any Circuit City anywhere.

Never show ID for signed credit cards purchases.

No ID required for signed credit card purchases. Merchants cannot require ID.

If a merchant tries to require ID, immediately call 1-800-VISA-911 to ensure they never do again.

VISA: 1-800-VISA-911

MasterCard: 1-800-300-3069

Also easily report merchant violations online at:

http://www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/c...violations.html

Check the box that says "Merchant required ID"

Never show ID for signed credit card purchases ever.

No ID required for signed credit card purchases ever.

Thank you Continental for your auto-responder.

to whit:

first response from American Express

Dear MarvBear:

Thank you for contacting American Express.

I sincerely apologize for the confusion and inconvenience you have experienced concerning this matter.

In reference to your concern, please be advised that in order to protect Cardmember from fraudulent transactions, merchants sometimes may ask for physical identification proof to complete a transaction. This system was developed to protect both Merchants and Amex from "stolen card" fraud.

It is wise to know that American Express is partnering with some Service Establishments to combat some “stolen card†fraud by asking for identification proof when a Card is presented physically to purchase any goods or services. However, you should only provide your identification proof when you are using your American Express Card to make any purchase.

I apologize for any inconvenience and disappointment this may cause to you and hope you understand that Policies and Procedures exist to secure your identity and the Card from any fraudulent activity.

Please be assured that you are a Valued Cardmember and we are sensitive to your concerns. We look forward to provide you excellent customer service that you truly deserve since 2005.

Sincerely,

R. Prasad

and you know I had to snap back on that one.

Marv I think you are seeing the difference between their written policy and the de-facto policy.

It has become such a standard for merchants to ask and customers to show ID that anyone trying to buck the system based on the LOGO's own policy would be looked at as a quack.

I read that there are towns where sneezing in a public is illegal!

Why? Because back in the wild wild west, a person's violent sneeze would scare the horses.

LOL

So they passed a law to ban public sneezing. Many such laws are still on the books.

What would you say to an officer who wrote you a ticket for sneezing as you crossed the street?

I honestly don't know where or how this NO ID policy got started but a true sign of the times is the fact that it is NOT advertised by ANY of the LOGOs actively or passively.

Their millions of ATMs are.

Their fraud protection policy is.

But not the fact that you dont have to show ID.

Completely illegal,...

Find the text of the law that says ID checking is illegal, or are you insisting on giving false and misleading information?

first response from American Express
Dear MarvBear:

Thank you for contacting American Express.

I sincerely apologize for the confusion and inconvenience you have experienced concerning this matter.

In reference to your concern, please be advised that in order to protect Cardmember from fraudulent transactions, merchants sometimes may ask for physical identification proof to complete a transaction. This system was developed to protect both Merchants and Amex from "stolen card" fraud.

It is wise to know that American Express is partnering with some Service Establishments to combat some “stolen card†fraud by asking for identification proof when a Card is presented physically to purchase any goods or services. However, you should only provide your identification proof when you are using your American Express Card to make any purchase.

I apologize for any inconvenience and disappointment this may cause to you and hope you understand that Policies and Procedures exist to secure your identity and the Card from any fraudulent activity.

Please be assured that you are a Valued Cardmember and we are sensitive to your concerns. We look forward to provide you excellent customer service that you truly deserve since 2005.

Sincerely,

R. Prasad

and you know I had to snap back on that one.

Did Amex say that it is official policy to allow ID checking?

ETA: Maybe not "official", but if they are indeed actively participating with merchants on this, it might as well be.

Edited by Uncle Leo

Marv I think you are seeing the difference between their written policy and the de-facto policy.

It has become such a standard for merchants to ask and customers to show ID that anyone trying to buck the system based on the LOGO's own policy would be looked at as a quack.

I read that there are towns where sneezing in a public is illegal!

Why? Because back in the wild wild west, a person's violent sneeze would scare the horses.

LOL

So they passed a law to ban public sneezing. Many such laws are still on the books.

What would you say to an officer who wrote you a ticket for sneezing as you crossed the street?

I honestly don't know where or how this NO ID policy got started but a true sign of the times is the fact that it is NOT advertised by ANY of the LOGOs actively or passively.

Their millions of ATMs are.

Their fraud protection policy is.

But not the fact that you dont have to show ID.

Then all they'd have to do is officially rescind the policy. Let's get real, it's not like anyone ouitside a handful of people here would even notice... or care. For good or for bad, I think most people might even approve.

Side question: LOGO? Card company, I'm sure, but what does 'LOGO' stand for?

I got lazy :D

LOGO = VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover...

That's what I thought... just wanted to make sure. :rolleyes:

I'll keep you posted on this one. I wrote an evil response to their email to me in order to escalate.

We'll see.

And again, normally I wouldn't have minded or actually given it a second thought, but it was the manner in which I was treated with which I have a problem with.

Monday, I called Circuit City corporate and filed a formal complaint against that particular store. Circuity City gave me a case number, but were rather vague as to what I should expect the results to be.

Kybosh: you are wrong. They have advertised no ID. The Visa Check Card ad campaigh advertised how it was easier than a check because you did not have to show any ID and you did not have to write out a check - just swipe, sign, and go!

I ran a search on Yahoo on this "visa check card" and "id" and here are a couple of things:

"Use your VISA Check Card every where that VISA debit cards are accepted. You avoid hassles over ID. There is no check to write."

http://www.uspsfcu.org/checkcard.htm

"Simply present the Visa® Check Card to the merchant, sign the receipt, and go. It saves time when you're in a hurry, because you don't have to write a check, show ID, then wait for check approval."

http://www.fnbrockies.com/visa.cfm

Really if you are interested in giving these stores all of your personal informtion, show your ID. That clerk now knows where you live, what your birthdate is, and whatever else is on that ID that you show them. Their store management or store security can also retrieve the security video from the register and look over that ID as much as they want and do who knows what with it. If you cared at all about the security of your personal information and the safety of your identity, you would not want to show ID.

Edited by thelowpriceleader

Visa Checkcards have the advantage/disadvantage of being a PIN based product.

It's an ATM card that can be used like a credit card. Therefore you dont need your ID as long as you know they PIN. That's the logic.

You assume that a lot of the current VISA transactions are VISAcheck cards.

Regrettably you maybe right about that. I have my issues with VisaCheck cards but that's for another thread.

If you scour the VISA USA website you will be hard pressed to see anything that says DO NOT ASK FOR ID. Its definitely not advertised on the homepage.

Take a look under the PERSONAL cards section.

Its pretty detailed. Sections include: Find a Card, Discounts, Using Visa , Visa Student, Security and Protection and Visa Brings You.

Most relevant parts are Using Visa & Security and Protection.

Under Using Visa you have:

Whether you're paying your bills, managing finances, or looking for an ATM, find out how Visa can help.

* Pay Your Bills with Visa

* Pay Your Taxes with Visa

* Account Inquiries

* Personal Finance Resources

* ATM Locator

* Travel with Visa

* Donate to Charity

Under Security and Protection

Visa offers cardholders extensive protection through multiple layers of security, so you can feel confident and secure—no matter how you use your Visa card.

* TJX Security Breach FAQ

* Visa Security Program

* Verified by Visa

* Protect Yourself

* Get Help Now

I'm still looking through all these pages to just to be doubly sure.

I'll be back if I find something.

The fact that I have to delve deep kinda proves my point though.

By the way...

"I'm never wrong. Once, I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken" :)

I FOUND IT!

CLICK HERE ----> Card and PIN safety

* Report lost or stolen cards immediately.

* Sign your card on the signature panel as soon as you receive it.

* Protect your cards as if they were cash.

* Don’t leave your credit cards in the glove compartment of your car. An alarmingly high proportion of all credit card thefts occur in glove compartments.

* Never write down your PIN—memorize it. Also, never use your PIN as a password.

* Ensure that you get your card back after every purchase.

* Always check sales vouchers for the correct purchase amount before you sign them, and keep copies of your vouchers and ATM receipts.

* Always check your billing statement and verify the amounts of your purchases.

* Make a comprehensive list of all your cards and their numbers and store it in a safe place.

* Don’t volunteer any personal information when you use your credit card, other than by displaying personal ID as requested by a merchant.

* Don’t lend your card to anyone. You are responsible for its use. Some credit card misuse can be traced directly to family and friends.

* Never disclose your PIN to anyone. No one from a financial institution, the police, or a merchant should ask for your PIN.

I say again...

"I'm never wrong. Once, I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken"

Okay, im back....

Seriously guys this wasn't that hard to find.

I'm not sure if it was a recent update but if this flies against what the merchant agreement says then there is a disconnect or the merchant agreement is wrong. Or the customer service reps and the website (and common sense for the most part) is wrong.

Didn't mean to thread jack you Marv.

Sign in to follow this  

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines