Sign in to follow this  
Why Chat

MEDFICO- THE NEWEST DANGER

If you haven't read whychat's info on MedFICO you should.

This has to be one of the most outrageous things I have ever read in my life. This whole thing makes my blood boil. As a medical professional one thing I have always been proud of is that the treatment of a patient with funds and the treatment of the indigent patient should be the same, and from what I have seen has been the same. To think that you could let someone suffer or die do to their financial situation or "credit worthiness" is unconscionable. If there is any suggestion on how to fight this from coming into practice please let me know. I would love to fight this! Credit repair is very important, but when you are literally talking about life and death it doesn't get anymore serious than that.

If you haven't read whychat's info on MedFICO you should.

This has to be one of the most outrageous things I have ever read in my life. This whole thing makes my blood boil. As a medical professional one thing I have always been proud of is that the treatment of a patient with funds and the treatment of the indigent patient should be the same, and from what I have seen has been the same. To think that you could let someone suffer or die do to their financial situation or "credit worthiness" is unconscionable. If there is any suggestion on how to fight this from coming into practice please let me know. I would love to fight this! Credit repair is very important, but when you are literally talking about life and death it doesn't get anymore serious than that.

I think once AARP starts to see MedFICO actually being used as triage for in-patient care, you will see a BIG uprising.

Right now, no hospital is using FICO scores in triage, but it certainty is being discussed in the top floor offices at almost every large med center. My brother is a hospital admin in management in Texas hospital network, over I/T, and this subject has come up.

I think once AARP starts to see MedFICO actually being used as triage for in-patient care, you will see a BIG uprising.

I heard Clark Howard complain on the radio not long ago about hospitals that are now sending people through billing before getting seen as part of the so-called "triage" process, where people were sitting down with COLLECTIONS agents and giving all sorts of sensitive info in case the debt didn't get paid. :o He was all tied up in a knot about it because patients weren't made aware that they weren't talking to a HIPAA-bound medical staff person but a third-party biller - BEFORE getting treated. It's just sick!

I heard Clark Howard complain on the radio not long ago about hospitals that are now sending people through billing before getting seen as part of the so-called "triage" process, where people were sitting down with COLLECTIONS agents and giving all sorts of sensitive info in case the debt didn't get paid. :o He was all tied up in a knot about it because patients weren't made aware that they weren't talking to a HIPAA-bound medical staff person but a third-party biller - BEFORE getting treated. It's just sick!

That was a collection agency that was hired by the hospital. They got sued for it and now no one wants to do business with that CA. They had set themselves up inside the hospital, and their agents acted as "intake" counselors. They were not screening to see who needed assistance, they were using the emergency medical need to force people to pay past due accounts at that hospital.

I've been looking around for a while now to see what company is presenting itself as "medfico" and can't find anything. Experian had bought one company to set it up, but it looks like the original owner bought it back. I still can't find them. This would have to fall under FCRA. I've had two medical accounts go to collections in error recently, took care of the error, wrote scathing letters threatening the billing service that failed to file insurance claims correctly and then turned the acct over to collections before they even tried to bill me. Most of this 2 and 3 years after the original date of service. If I have a medfico score, I want to see it. I pay hefty insurance premiums, and having screwups like these really ticks me off. :angry:

That was a collection agency that was hired by the hospital. They got sued for it and now no one wants to do business with that CA. They had set themselves up inside the hospital, and their agents acted as "intake" counselors. They were not screening to see who needed assistance, they were using the emergency medical need to force people to pay past due accounts at that hospital.

I've been looking around for a while now to see what company is presenting itself as "medfico" and can't find anything. Experian had bought one company to set it up, but it looks like the original owner bought it back. I still can't find them. This would have to fall under FCRA. I've had two medical accounts go to collections in error recently, took care of the error, wrote scathing letters threatening the billing service that failed to file insurance claims correctly and then turned the acct over to collections before they even tried to bill me. Most of this 2 and 3 years after the original date of service. If I have a medfico score, I want to see it. I pay hefty insurance premiums, and having screwups like these really ticks me off. :angry:

I agree. All of my health collections have been the result of either the hospital or insurance screw ups and I don't find about about it until I get a call or letter from a CA. What really irks me is we have told the hospital we do not get mail at our physical address and all mail must go to our po box. So they send it to our physical and when a few months go by they flip it to a CA. Somehow the CA is smart enough to send it to our PO BOX. Arg!