Sign in to follow this  
cljohnr

Mutual funds

Here is my (extremely unacceptable IMHO) response from them...

To answer your question, your 401(k) is a group variable

annuity. There are no ticker symbols for the funds within the

plan because it is a group variable annuity. Since there are no ticker

symbols, you are unable to track the fund performance via Google

Finance. The only way to track performance will be through AXA.

that stinks.

I agree with Heg stay away from loaded funds because they will put a drag on your returns. I'm currently invested in Trowe Price 2030 retirement fund in a Roth IRA for my retirement. I strongly reccomend checking out morningstar.com, they are the best mutual fund research website out there, that is were I get my information on various mutual funds.

Isn't the expense ratio more of an important number to look at for the long term along with the 5, 10+ year historical returns?

loads are loads. regardless of past fund performance you are paying off someone's S class MB.

that stinks.

Yeah, not a big fan of being told to pick funds, but then not being able to actually monitor performance other than to take their word.

I'll be taking this up with HR and Sr. Management. This is ridiculous. I have 18% of my income going into the 401k, and that's not gonna fly with me if I'm also being told to just trust that they will do right by me while I have no way to measure if they're screwing me or not.

that stinks.

... on ice!

I agree with Heg stay away from loaded funds because they will put a drag on your returns. I'm currently invested in Trowe Price 2030 retirement fund in a Roth IRA for my retirement. I strongly reccomend checking out morningstar.com, they are the best mutual fund research website out there, that is were I get my information on various mutual funds.

Isn't the expense ratio more of an important number to look at for the long term along with the 5, 10+ year historical returns?

loads are loads. regardless of past fund performance you are paying off someone's S class MB.

Bill Miller's 200 foot yacht (or is it a 250 foot yacht?) was paid for by e/r, not loads. Total expenses, over time, tell the story (IMHO). There are many funds, both load and no-load, that would have been better investments over the past 10-15 years.

Sometimes loads are used as a barrier to entry or to ensure that the investor's investment philosophy matches the fund's philosophy.

Regards,

Dave

Bill Miller's 200 foot yacht (or is it a 250 foot yacht?) was paid for by e/r, not loads. Total expenses, over time, tell the story (IMHO). There are many funds, both load and no-load, that would have been better investments over the past 10-15 years.

Sometimes loads are used as a barrier to entry or to ensure that the investor's investment philosophy matches the fund's philosophy.

Regards,

Dave

Bill Miller? who?

A barrier to entry? You mean "pay us up front, plus we'll try to get you on the back end"

Sorry ... Bill Miller runs Legg Mason Value Trust (LMVTX). According to Morningstar, its e/r is currently 1.69% (last time I looked), but it's no load. On the other hand American Funds' CAIBX e/r is .55%, with a maximum 5.75% load. CAIBX becomes cheaper to own in year 6, assuming paying maximum load.

LMVTX was known for beating the S&P 500 16 years in a row, as if that means anything. Many no-load and loaded funds have performed better over the previous 10 years, including CAIBX.

I used to own LMVTX, beginning in 1999, but I cut my losses after about 5 years. Once I saw Miller's boat, I knew I had made the right decision. I sure he's floating around on this beast laughing his flowers off.

IMO, this is a classic example of why e/r, over time, is important.

Regards,

Dave

PS: There are many excellent no-load funds. But to avoid paying a load just because there's a load can sometimes prove to be penny wise and pound foolish.

Edited by df21084

Bill Miller sells toilets and is married to Judy Miller (dental assistant). They have one son and 2 daughters.

Come on guys. Stay up to date with television.

saladdin