Sign in to follow this  
jack1212

What letter should I send?

I have seen many posts that asks this question. "What letter should i send"? The fact is that there is no simple letter to fit every situation.

There is a sample letters forum here. But i would never in a million years send them out what i call "copy and pasted". Think about it. The CRA'S and CA's get the SAME letters hundreds if not thousands per day between them all. They probably have them memorized.

The sample letters are good to go by as a guide. But thats it. I have seen many letters that people put up for review before they mail it. If you look close enough, certain phrases stick out.

Such as:

Verification of my mailing address

In the spirit of compromise

Pursuant to the FDCPA

You get the idea. When these goons get these letters, they are far less likely to take you serious IMO, Because They know you didnt write it.

If i were a CA, i would put people in one of three categories:

1. Complete salamander. They will fall for anything. Stay on em

2. Not sure just yet. Proceed, but be careful.

3. DONT touch this person with a 20 ft pole while holding a 10 ft pole.

Get the picture?

Now if you sent a copy and pasted letter, which category do you think you would fall under?

I hope this helps. It's just that i have seen this question asked in almost every other thread. I want to put this in my siggy, so that it can help newcomers.

As far as what TYPE of letter, that can be answered. Say you have one 30 day late. If you asked in a thread, everyone would say "send a goodwill letter" which is fine.

But not the premade one.

Look at the letters that pryan67 types up in his threads. It's from him and doesnt sound generic.

So...to sum it up, if they get thousands of letters per day ALL worded the same, what makes yours any different?

Good Luck.

Jack1212

Edited by jack1212

I have seen many posts that asks this question. "What letter should i send"? The fact is that there is no simple letter to fit every situation.

There is a sample letters forum here. But i would never in a million years send them out what i call "copy and pasted". Think about it. The CRA'S and CA's get the SAME letters hundreds if not thousands per day between them all. They probably have them memorized.

The sample letters are good to go by as a guide. But thats it. I have seen many letters that people put up for review before they mail it. If you look close enough, certain phrases stick out.

Such as:

Pursuant to the FDCPA

You get the idea. When these goons get these letters, they are far less likely to take you serious IMO, Because They know you didnt write it.

Get the picture?

Now if you sent a copy and pasted letter, which category do you think you would fall under?

I hope this helps. It's just that i have seen this question asked in almost every other thread. I want to put this in my siggy, so that it can help newcomers.

As far as what TYPE of letter, that can be answered. Say you have one 30 day late. If you asked in a thread, everyone would say "send a goodwill letter" which is fine.

But not the premade one.

Look at the letters that pryan67 types up in his threads. It's from him and doesnt sound generic.

So...to sum it up, if they get thousands of letters per day ALL worded the same, what makes yours any different?

Good Luck.

Jack1212

I second the great advice in this post!!! :lol:

The CA's actually look forward to getting letters like the ones Jack1212 mentioned. Whenever I see a certain 2-page DV letter someone is planning to send, I cringe knowing that it is going to get laughed at. Newbies should jump right into the newbies section and read read read -- it might not be as sexy as sending letters right away, but its the foundation that gets your credit life back in working order.

Arkbuck

I agree Jack1212! I'm a 2-month old newbie and I have sent these copy and pasted letters. In my case, I have had success with the form letters. But as I evolved into a more informed CBer, I do see that these "form" letters should be used for nothing more but as examples of what to write. I actually looked back on some of the letters that I sent out and laugh. Those letters sound nothing like me! LOL!!

Pryan has helped me write out some of my letters. I love his one-liners!!

(I do incorporate his one-liners into my letters)

Such as:

Pursuant to the FDCPA

Get the picture?

But not the premade one.

Good Luck.

Jack1212

I second the great advice in this post!!! :D

The CA's actually look forward to getting letters like the ones Jack1212 mentioned. Whenever I see a certain 2-page DV letter someone is planning to send, I cringe knowing that it is going to get laughed at. Newbies should jump right into the newbies section and read read read -- it might not be as sexy as sending letters right away, but its the foundation that gets your credit life back in working order.

Arkbuck

Both very good views, cant get enough from reading here.

Jack another great thread ;)<_<B)

Cute.

I've been sucessful using the copy and pasted letters from WhyChat on DH's credit. I change words and will make it my own, but for the most part they aren't mine.

I don't think CAs even read them. I think they see what it is and do whatever it is they do. Most people aren't educated to their rights and will just pay or let it fall off. The few that do bother to respond are the educated.

I totally agree Jack! YOUR letters ought to reflect YOUR situation. I made sure I fell into the "Don't touch me with a 20 foot pole . . . " category. I used sample letters as a guide for setting the right tone and making sure I included the "I know my rights" and "I know you're wrong" verbiage, but the rest was All MINE!

the funny thing when thinking about copy and paste though is which letters you're choosing to use. I just sent out my first set of DV letters ever and they were simple one liners. The whole point is hoping they don't respond simply based on the fact that they think I'm an salamander. Low and behold, I've got you guys behind me. I'm so anxious to get my green cards back and for the end of the month. 700 Club, here I come!

There are classic posts that should never become dusty. :dntknw: This one needed a bump.

Edited by DragonFlyer

I had a question about letters and thought this would be a great post to <bump>.

I scrolled through the letters listed here http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showforum=18, but I didn't see any that fit the simple idea of what PsychDoc spelled out in his Credit 101 class, Lesson One, which is "Provide documentation that the Sears tradeline (account 12345) belongs on my credit report and that my rights have not been abrogated. Otherwise please delete this damaging data." I am hoping to get more info on the law end of it so that I sound like I am informed ;) I'm looking to clear IIB TLs and ultimately the BK itself. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

This is a terrific site. I can't tell you how much it has helped and empowered me! Thanks to everyone for their insight!!!