Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

I think I have a pretty big problem...

The last post in this topic was posted 4755 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

What have some of you out there done to help yourself stop applying for credit for an extended period of time? I really want these accts to age so that I'd be able to get another car note in the future, or maybe a home next year. Regardless, I don't want to ever be turned down again based on too many inquiries or too many new accts. HELP! :wave:

Take a break from CB. :D

Seriously, it's a phase. I went through it, and finally realized it when I started calling to close accounts I didn't really need. These days, I only apply for things I really need, like rewards cards or cards with low APRs if I need to carry a balance.

Sure fire way to stop the app spree.. Or at least get denials with out a inq.

FREEZE YOUR REPORTS, all 3 of them. That way you can apply to your hearts content.

When the unlock codes come in the mail. do NOT open them. Either give them to a trusted family member to hold on to, or lock them away in a safe deposit box. This leaves them accessible, but not with out troubles getting them. If your jones'n for a TL/CL at 8 PM you have till the bank opens to get over it. If a relative has the codes make sure they are the type that would ask TONS of questions before giving them to you. (I'd give them to my mother.. then again. she'd never find a reason from me good enough to give them back).

Sometimes I brush it off, but I'm a freaking credit whore. Big time. Sometimes things will happen that cause me to start applying, and I've come to realize that the more time that passes, the less self control I have over it. I was doing good after my last app spree, but of course it never really ends.

I recently applied for another Citi card, a Valero card, Circuit City, Jared's, Kay's, etc etc etc. It wasn't such a big deal when I had TC and could b*, but they cancelled me! lol. Now what am I going to do? Wait two whole years for them to all wipe off? I don't really have a LOT of inquiries, but quite a bit more than I'd like to have. I'd prefer to have 2-3 or less per report. To me, 8-12 per report is far too much.

Citi denied me solely because I had too many recent inquiries on whatever report they pulled. DAMN! I could have stuck my other foot in the door, but they shot me down because I can't control myself. I think I'm going to try and request a reconsideration. PFB appropriate in this case, or should I try calling? My reasons for wanting more credit really are legitimate. I do carry some balances with high interest cards, and I'd like to consolidate. I've learned a lot over the last year or so and I've really been buckling down and trying to pay anything with a balance off, but things happen. This is a terrible time of the year to be trying to pay off balances. Anyway, I had an opportunity to transfer some balances, and I blew it. I had a minor emergency and had to use my new prime cards. I'm probably at about 40% util on my Citi and Amex cards, and working on getting them down, but I don't want to transfer a balance over to a card that already has a balance. That could screw up my APR from what I've read. Yes, it would still be cheaper than what I'm paying, but I don't want to make it complicated.

Valero sent me something asking me to call and verify some information. Sounds to me like I'm in with that one... Are they considered store cards, or gas cards?

Bottom line is this: I don't need most of this stuff, but I can't imagine having just a few credit cards. Just because you have a lot doesn't mean you have to use a lot. Right?

What have some of you out there done to help yourself stop applying for credit for an extended period of time? I really want these accts to age so that I'd be able to get another car note in the future, or maybe a home next year. Regardless, I don't want to ever be turned down again based on too many inquiries or too many new accts. HELP! :wave:

You recently applied for Kay's and Jared's. Why? Your portfolio looked pretty well diversified. I don't understand why you added Kay's. After we get past that question, we'll chat some more.

and of course I thought I'd have a good shot of being approved for a nice introductory CL with a jeweler. I expected at least twice what I got. I only got $1500 per store.

Most people grab Kay's and Jared's when they are just starting out. They get those tradelines so that they have something on the credit report. They're typically not the kind of tradelines that get to the credit report after someone has already established themself with the likes of Amex and Chase.

Also, I thought that everyone got $1500 with Kay's. You were expecting something different? Because everyone is basically guaranteed an approval from Kay's, I doubt that other creditors give the tradeline much credit (pun intended).

I maybe wrong since I am a newbie :D But I have seen Kay's with larger limits and I figure wouldn't some want it for utilization(even if they don't really need it) please let me know if I am wrong.....

Has anyone ever seen a Kay's approval for more than $1500?

Mine was $3000 - just got it a couple months ago (see sig)

Mine was $1500. I've never used it nor asked for an increase.

Sometimes I brush it off, but I'm a freaking credit whore. Big time. Sometimes things will happen that cause me to start applying, and I've come to realize that the more time that passes, the less self control I have over it. I was doing good after my last app spree, but of course it never really ends.

I recently applied for another Citi card, a Valero card, Circuit City, Jared's, Kay's, etc etc etc. It wasn't such a big deal when I had TC and could b*, but they cancelled me! lol. Now what am I going to do? Wait two whole years for them to all wipe off? I don't really have a LOT of inquiries, but quite a bit more than I'd like to have. I'd prefer to have 2-3 or less per report. To me, 8-12 per report is far too much.

Citi denied me solely because I had too many recent inquiries on whatever report they pulled. DAMN! I could have stuck my other foot in the door, but they shot me down because I can't control myself. I think I'm going to try and request a reconsideration. PFB appropriate in this case, or should I try calling? My reasons for wanting more credit really are legitimate. I do carry some balances with high interest cards, and I'd like to consolidate. I've learned a lot over the last year or so and I've really been buckling down and trying to pay anything with a balance off, but things happen. This is a terrible time of the year to be trying to pay off balances. Anyway, I had an opportunity to transfer some balances, and I blew it. I had a minor emergency and had to use my new prime cards. I'm probably at about 40% util on my Citi and Amex cards, and working on getting them down, but I don't want to transfer a balance over to a card that already has a balance. That could screw up my APR from what I've read. Yes, it would still be cheaper than what I'm paying, but I don't want to make it complicated.

Valero sent me something asking me to call and verify some information. Sounds to me like I'm in with that one... Are they considered store cards, or gas cards?

Bottom line is this: I don't need most of this stuff, but I can't imagine having just a few credit cards. Just because you have a lot doesn't mean you have to use a lot. Right?

What have some of you out there done to help yourself stop applying for credit for an extended period of time? I really want these accts to age so that I'd be able to get another car note in the future, or maybe a home next year. Regardless, I don't want to ever be turned down again based on too many inquiries or too many new accts. HELP! :lol:

You recently applied for Kay's and Jared's. Why? Your portfolio looked pretty well diversified. I don't understand why you added Kay's. After we get past that question, we'll chat some more.

and of course I thought I'd have a good shot of being approved for a nice introductory CL with a jeweler. I expected at least twice what I got. I only got $1500 per store.

Most people grab Kay's and Jared's when they are just starting out. They get those tradelines so that they have something on the credit report. They're typically not the kind of tradelines that get to the credit report after someone has already established themself with the likes of Amex and Chase.

Also, I thought that everyone got $1500 with Kay's. You were expecting something different? Because everyone is basically guaranteed an approval from Kay's, I doubt that other creditors give the tradeline much credit (pun intended).

I maybe wrong since I am a newbie :D But I have seen Kay's with larger limits and I figure wouldn't some want it for utilization(even if they don't really need it) please let me know if I am wrong.....

Mine was $4500 when I was just starting out. I believe my TU score was only around 650 or so at the time.

you could deep freeze your reports, the itchy app finger might have cooled down within the 2-3 day lapse. Not to mention the 'extra' work and expense in thawing might detract as well.

Marcus, are you sure you're not confusing Kay's with Crown Jewelers?

:angel: I was thinking the same thing too!!! :blush2:

Yeah--Kay's does decline people, unlike CJ

Marcus, are you sure you're not confusing Kay's with Crown Jewelers?

:rofl: I was thinking the same thing too!!! ;)

We're men, jewelery stores are all sort of the same to us... :lol:

LOL. Crown, Kay's. Yeah, I was thinking of Crown. My bad.

The freezing of your reports sounds like a good idea. That way atleast it would take a little effort and expense to apply and by that the time the urge to apply may have subsided.

What have some of you out there done to help yourself stop applying for credit for an extended period of time? I really want these accts to age so that I'd be able to get another car note in the future, or maybe a home next year. Regardless, I don't want to ever be turned down again based on too many inquiries or too many new accts. HELP! ;)

:D You should have applied for the Gold Delta from amex so you could get CS and pull daily. How many inq. do you have on EX? What is your FICO on EX? I know the feeling as I was on Kona's restraint but after the Junami, I had to get another Citi TL...... :dntknw:

I wish people would stop bringing up CreditSecure. LOL! It brings back my angry side. I've been trying to enroll into CreditSecure since I got my original Amex back in JULY. They are having issues, and are in no hurry to fix it so I can enroll and check my credit. I tried Citi's IdentityMonitor, but cancelled when I realized you could only get one update a month.

I'm not entirely sure how many EX inquiries I have, or what my true FICO is right now. When TC cancelled me, I think I had 8-9 EX inq's, give or take 1 or 2. I had a few that were set to fall off around this time, and early 2008. I'm planning to check my FICO's next month, and I'll list them in my sig.

I don't think Kona's restraint program would work for me. It's simply based on self control isn't it? lol

I don't think Kona's restraint program would work for me. It's simply based on self control isn't it? lol

I heard patients of "electric shock" treatments say they've had amazing results :dntknw:

I heard patients of "electric shock" treatments say they've had amazing results :huh:

I'd have better luck with something like that probably... :D

You might try requesting new designs for your Discover (or replacement cards for your cards that are worn out)...it's kinda like getting new cards in the mail without the inquiries added to your reports. :)

The last post in this topic was posted 4755 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.