Amex charge exposure limit

The last post in this topic was posted 4977 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

• Admin

I tried that one time.

with the very nice rep I talked to the answer was NO.

The rep did indicate while I was online he could do a test charge for whatever amount I wished, to see if it cleared the system.

I declined to do so.

That was when I closed my Gold charge card and transferred the credit balance to my Platinum charge card.

I couldn't get them to tell me, just my experience.

I was able to get it out of them though it was a lot of work. It was equal to my highest AMEX credit card limit.

we've been assuming it is at least the limit of the lower credit card (26.6K) but wondered if it was actually lower because of the two credit cards (total CL 56.6K).

I was able to get it out of them though it was a lot of work. It was equal to my highest AMEX credit card limit.

we've been assuming it is at least the limit of the lower credit card (26.6K) but wondered if it was actually lower because of the two credit cards (total CL 56.6K).

Hard to really tell without running it up there. And with AMEX CSRs you never know if you're getting the real story. Best thing to do is carry several cards if you plan on running up some charges.

I asked on my business card. Even then, I got a few different answers. However, it is going up. The first time I asked it was $2000, then $3000, now it is $4000. I have spent $5600 this month by charging then immediately repaying.

I have found that if you get the American reps, you can chit chat with them. If you get the overseas reps, they just follow the script.

Also a general rep can't answer as much. If you ask for the credit dept, they are the ones that actually make the real decisions regarding approvals.

I'm not sure if business works the same as personal but I would assume it is similar.

I asked on my business card. Even then, I got a few different answers. However, it is going up. The first time I asked it was $2000, then $3000, now it is $4000. I have spent $5600 this month by charging then immediately repaying.

I have found that if you get the American reps, you can chit chat with them. If you get the overseas reps, they just follow the script.

Also a general rep can't answer as much. If you ask for the credit dept, they are the ones that actually make the real decisions regarding approvals.

I'm not sure if business works the same as personal but I would assume it is similar.

overseas reps? not with the platinum card.

overseas reps? not with the platinum card.

I always got a US CSR on the charge cards. Only got the offshorians on the credit cards.

will they tell you your exposure limit if you ask?

Yes. And (ssshhhh), it is generally calculated by finding the average of the last six statement balances. Spend and pay. But if you call ahead of time if you're out of pattern or over average spending, they'll generally be cool with it if you're not delinquent on anything. I also found out that when you pay any remaining balance on the day the statement closes, it may show internally late. Count 30 days from the first date of the statement and after 30 days, they consider it late (not for CB reporting, but for CLIs, additional goodies, whatever.)

I haven't read the rest of the thread yet, so I hope I'm not repeating anything.

Business generally follows personal, although there is some more flexibility just because of what business needs can be. Also, the more you spend (and pay), the more "juice" you get. They like to see you use the card.

I have found that the US reps can be outstandingly helpful, esp. on the business side. Once in a while, someone may be having a bad day, so I just cut it short and try again.

I had an overseas rep that scared the socks off me one morning - fortunately, the US rep corrected her and got my hert rate back to normal. YMMV!

I've heard that sometimes, too. It can vary - the CSRs tend to be more optimistic than Acct Services, and they have given out contradictory info.

It had to be correct in my case, if they had used the average spending on the charge card method there were a couple of times I should have been cut off spending well above average for the charge card. I never had a decline on the card.

I also found out that when you pay any remaining balance on the day the statement closes, it may show internally late. Count 30 days from the first date of the statement and after 30 days, they consider it late (not for CB reporting, but for CLIs, additional goodies, whatever.)

you lost me on this... probably because my due dates are 20 -25 days from the statement date, so even if i pay on day 20 or 25, I'm well within the 30 days... however, i do often set up payment for the due date, either within amex's site or with BOA billpay. I guess i should start doing it for the day before...

I've heard that sometimes, too. It can vary - the CSRs tend to be more optimistic than Acct Services, and they have given out contradictory info.

It had to be correct in my case, if they had used the average spending on the charge card method there were a couple of times I should have been cut off spending well above average for the charge card. I never had a decline on the card.

there has to be a set $$$ - my first bill was like 800, second 1700... the ones since are in the 900 range until this month, its 1700 and will be around that monthly, not including travel expenses, as i changed some bills around. I've never had a denial.

there has to be a set $$$ - my first bill was like 800, second 1700... the ones since are in the 900 range until this month, its 1700 and will be around that monthly, not including travel expenses, as i changed some bills around. I've never had a denial.

There is. The first time I knew I was going to charge a lot more than I ever had I called and pushed until I got the exposure limit which turned out to be $10k, the same as the highest limit on one of my credit cards with them.

The last post in this topic was posted 4977 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.