Sign in to follow this  
Kibure

SOL

When I was 18 I was approved for 2 credit cards which I accepted to help with college. I stopped paying them in 2000. I did resume payments in approx 2001 but then lost my job again. Now I have one with a judgement and both still on my credit report. I would like to know which SOL applies to these cards.

Cards were opened in 1998 in Texas. Later I moved to CA where I stopped paying in late 2000. Early 2001 I moved to OR and made payments for a little while but then could not due to unemployment and disability. Judgement for one card in 2003 in OR. In 2004 I moved to GA. No word from the CA's or OC's since the move, even though credit is up to date.

Which state's SOL applies? I would think Texas for the card I was not sued, but for the one with the suit would it be TX or OR? Or am I completely wrong and I go by GA?

Thanks in advance for helping a poor newb!

im not 100% certain, but i beleive it should be the one with the shorter statute.

Someone correct me if im wrong.

I'll bump this for you.

Jack1212

Someone once told me it was the state you currently live in b/c that is where they would sue you. Now I'm not sure if that's true but I would think it's got to be either the state you opened the accountin or the state you currently live in......

Any experts wanna correct that?

One of the cards I was sued in Oregon, so then would the Oregon SOL apply?

Good question. Can you be sued more than once for the same debt is also a good question.....

Good question. Can you be sued more than once for the same debt is also a good question.....

Yes you can. This is what i had a concern about before. If a case is dismissed WITHOUT prejudice, or if the plaintiff loses, they may within one year refile.

In arbitration, an appeal must be filed in 10 days.

Thats my understanding in NC anyway. Someone let me know if im wrong.

jack1212