Sign in to follow this  
roxy

Step by step help please....

For those of you with corporations, are you guys having to bring a certified copy of the certificate of incorporation in order to open a business bank account? I'm trying to find out if I need to get certified copies of my certificate or not. Will the basic certificate the state sends me in the mail be sufficient to open the business account with?

Well, I am in Georgia and I printed the Articles of Incorporations off of the Georgia SOS website and opened mine at BOA and Suntrust. In other words, I doubt it if it needs to be a certified copy because they can look it up themselves with your control number.

I just got off the phone with D&B representative and she said that she has been doing this for over 8 years and she knows what people are saying about NOT needing credit builder. She said my account will be "BLOCKED" and no vendors will be able to report only verify that the company exists. She asked me how much employees I had, verified the address and asked if it was a post office box and I told her NO, but it is, then she mentioned that "All those sites out there that tell you NOT to purchase a credit profile are STEERING YOU WRONG."

After all that I still said, I just want a number. Then she said it again, that my profile will be BLOCKED and vendors WILL NOT be able to report and I won't build credit.

She made a very compelling argument and because of your post I DID NOT buy it. I will continously report to the Business Credit forum to state my findings and my reporting. I'm learning everything from this forum, nowhere else.

Thanks

What has happened so far? Some of this info is getting a bit old. Is it possible that D&B is fighting back? After all, the only thing they're legally required to do is exercise due diligence in reporting "the truth" as it is reported to them. They don't have to report anything about anybody unless they choose to.

Got to love suspected D&B Employee's the fact is you prbly didn't get a rating from D&B because you didn't buy Credit Builder, but that can be changed over time as well I suspect.

I'm trying tofigure out why I would need to INC. I have an actual business that is listed as a Sole Proprietership and I want to establish business credit. I can get the EIN without having to INC and I don't need to INC for tax purposess either so is that a required step or can I bypass that?

Thanks!

Michelle

I have chosen to bypass it thusfar since my only goal was to build business credit. It is probably easier to get credit with some places if you are incorporated, but still doable as a SP. I still haven't technically guaranteed anything in my sig but quite naturally I am fully responsible for them (but I did avoid the personal pulls). Others can chime in on the other reasons you would want to consider INC or LLC.

what banks will provide a start-up business with 25-50K LOC's and no PG? After following all the steps outlined in the step by step process at what point would one to begin approaching these banks?

There is a tremendous amount of information in this section. Is there a sure fire success formula that people can follow prior to opening their business?

1. You name your company first

2. You incorporate in Las Vegas

3. Obtain an ein # on-line immediately (Free of Charge)

4. Obtain a business telephone line at home using business name and

have it listed in the business pages and directory assistance.

5. Get a mail box at Aim Mail Center using the real mail address not p.o.

box number. Get your phone bill forwarded to this address.

4. Get a free Dunns number and DO NOT PAY FOR CREDIT BUILDER

5. Open a checking account - Bank of America is EXCELLENT

6. Apply for credit.

Thanks to all for the wealth of information here. I started reading bizcredit a few weeks ago and, after much additional research here and elsewhere, have slowly been making some progress (I think).

1. Name-done.

2. Inc in NV-done except it is an LLC in Wyoming. It looked like an LLC was easier to set up than a corp, and Wyoming appears to be a more business-friendly state than NV. It also took alot of time to locate a suitable regeistered agent in WY, but I finally found a really good one, owned by the former deputy SOS, and very reasonable fees.

This step was not as easy as it sounded. It looks one drawback of the LLCs is that you have to register as a foreign LLC in each state that you do business in. I also live in CA, so this might create some problems for me, as it appears that if you have a CA mailing address and have an out-of-state LLC, the FTB just assumes you are doing business in CA, even though some activities are excluded from "doing business", and requires you register with the SOS and pay the $800 business tax for the whole year, even if you're a CA business for only one day, regardless. My business is sustainable (green) real estate development and I formed my LLC in WY with the intention of acquiring real estate interests in WY, and possibly NV, and not in CA.

I think it's only a problem if you live in a business-unfriendly state like CA. Any CA residents out there with out-of-state LLCs that are knowledgeable about this?

One other tricky aspect of LLCs, is that in order to receive the pass-through taxation of a partnership, and not double-taxed as a corp, an LLC must have 2 or more members (I also chose WY because they allow "flexible" LLCs to have only one member) one must set up the LLC so that it does not possess more than 2 of the 4 characteristics of corporations:

limited liability (all LLCs have limited liability-so this is a given so an LLC cannot have more than 1 of the remaining characteristics:

centralized management: yes/manager managed (due to incresed asset protection)

free transfer of ownership interests: no/except with unanimous member approval per the operating agreement

So this only leaves continuity of life, which has to be "no" in order to avoid corporate double taxation, but I think "yes, but only with unanimous member approval per the operating agreement" is functionally the same as "no", from a partnership tax standpoint, since it makes continuity of life non-automatic.

3. EIN. Actually, I had to do step 5 out of order here, because the articles of organization for WY require a mailing address for the manager of a manager managed LLC. I wasn't sure what to do here and I wondered if I should get my mailing address in WY, but they required notarized ID documentation since it was out of state, so I opted for the convenience of a CA mailing address through the UPS Store (is it ok to say that?) in my town, but I have a bad feeling this decision might come back to haunt me. Again, any CA residents with out-of-state LLCs that have done this?

So after weeks of effort, soon as my official documents arrive in a few days (only 3-5 days for proccessing in WY), I'll go back to step 3. Next time, I'm doing a shelf LLC.

All this was far more complicated than it appeared to be and I really hope I haven't inadvertantly set the wheels of disaster in motion. Are there any knowledgeable LLC/tax experts out there that can confiirm any of this?

I'm also wondering, if I have been a sole prop for several years, same business but with a different dba but still my name and with a dba notice in the paper and a resale number and tax returns, but no EIN or D&B, is there a way I could get credit for those years?

Thanks again for all the helpful posts, and any information is appreciated.

Hello, I want to open a line of credit to buy real estate. I don't have a business that is LLC. But I do have a DBA with an EIN. Can I follow these below steps to build up credit through my business? Does anyone know where would be a great Start to build up credit for a Real estate investment business? Don't want to go off my credit. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

A good step for anyone trying to build Business credit is to remember their image. Many people cold call looking for credit my from stand point is not different than pan handling. Think about this and do some reserach into the financial institutions in your area specifically the business managers. Make a contact list in a database. Prepare a introduction packet: Include AO, Licenses, Mission Statement, Finances, Copies of Business reports, Bank statements, and last but not least a letter from you about who you are, what you do, and why you want to do business with them. Ah silly me i forgot to mention to attach your business card to the letter and provide copies of your most recent credit report. It is my understanding providing the copies may save a hard pull ( always ask that they be destroyed later if you like. This gives the financial institution some background on you and your company and helps to make a decision on level of credit granted when you make contact. The best credit limits are built with relationships to the creditor. Underwriters make for sensible clients to keep in your roledex. Build better relationships sit down a few time with a banker a few lunches may be in order but in the end you may be able to secured larger limits. Old money sticks with old money New money is never welcome, be that Old Money!

How do you stablish a Corp. in NEvada? (LAS VEGAS)

I mean isnt ein for a corporation and getting a business license isnt enough?

Can someone tell me is there a way to get a cheaper license without having to have a lot of requirements? Just tell em that I want to offer services ? are they going to ask me for a shop address?

Here is information I compiled for you and others to review and get started. Best of luck to you.

Free Duns Number � Go to site listed below:

https://sbs.dnb.com/secure/eupintro.asp?bhc...hcd2=1079765286

Vendors Report to Bureaus & Provide Trade Reference. To obtain a paydex score (credit score) you need 5 trade references. Apply at the vendors listed below.

http://www.kinkos.com/products/accounts/legal.php (Kinkos)

http://www.dhl-usa.com/sbc/smbiz.asp?nav=sb (Airborne Delivery Services)

http://www.uline.com

http://www.viking.com (Office Supplies)

http://www.officefuel.com (Office Supplies)

Retail Credit Requirements

Accurate Office Supply � (800) 325-2551 � Requirements:

PG: No

Paydex: No

Net 30, revolving account, 3 trades and 1 bank trade. Call to have application faxed to you. Reports to D&B, but does not report to Experian.

Best Buy � (800) 811-7276 � Requirements:

Paydex: Yes � 65+

At least 2 years in business.

Chevron � (888) 243-8358 Requirements:

PG: Yes

At least 2 years in business, DNB check revolving acct � net 30. Apply on-line. Reports to D&B and Experian.

Conoco, Inc. � (800) 764-9500 � Requirements:

Net 30-full balance, apply on-line located in 23 states, ask for locations. Reports to D&B and Experian.

Diners Club � (800) 234-6377 � Requirements:

Corporation accounts (minimum 5 cards) 3 years in business, $200,000 net worth, each card holder gives personal guaranty. Call to apply. Does not report to D&B or Experian.

Exxon Fuel � (800) 438-3996 � Requirements:

Net 30-full balance, 1 year secured or 3 years in business. Apply on-line. Does not report to D&B. Reports to Experian.

Fry�s Electronics � (714) 688-3000 � Requirements:

3 trades, 1 bank trade, net 30-full balance. Must submit financials and balance sheet before approval. Does not report to D&B or Experian

Grainger.com � (310) 327-7370 � Requirements:

Net 30-full balance. $1,000 min. credit limit, business license needed along with 1 bank trade and 2-3 other trades. Reports to D&B, but not to Experian.

Home Depot � (800) 685-6691 � Requirements:

2 years in business. Revolving account and/or net 30. Apply on-line. Reports to D&B and Experian.

JC Pennys � (407) 788-4022 � Requirements:

Paydex: Yes

At least 6 months in business and paydex score required with no delinquencies. Call to apply. Does not report to D&B or Experian.

Kinko�s � (800) 488-3705 � Requirements:

Revolving account net 30, apply online, will check D&B number and verify business address. Reports to D&B only when requested by D&B. Does not report to Experian.

Lowes � (800) 445-6937 � Requirements:

Revolving account or net 30. 3 years in business. Reports to D&B only.

Macys � (800) 933-6229 � Requirements:

2 years in business and some credit history. Call to have application faxed to you. Reports to D&B and Experian.

Mobil Gas � (877) 959-1007 � Requirements:

Net 30-full balance, 1 year secured account or 3 years in business. Apply on-line. Reports to D&B and Experian.

Neiman Marcus � (800) 685-6695 � Requirements:

Must be in business 2 years and signer on account gives personal guaranty, call to have application mailed to you. Does not report to D&B, but does report to Experian.

Nordstroms � (800) 964-1800 � Requirements:

Net 30-full balance, 3-4 trades, verify 2 (trades should be net 30 accounts as well) call for application. Reports to D&B and Experian.

Office Depot � (800) 729-7744 � Requirements:

Revolving account, net 30. Must be incorporated. Print on-line and fax. Reports to D&B and Experian.

Office Max � (877) 633-4236 � Requirements:

Must have some credit history. Apply on-line. Payment has to be made after invoice is received. Reports to D&B and Experian.

Orchard Supply � (408) 281-3500 � Requirements:

Net 30, 3 trades with at least 3 months activity and 1 bank trade. Call to get application. Does not report to D&B or Experian

Phillips 66 Gas � (800) 648-4199 � Requirements:

Duns report pulled, 3 trades, 1 bank trade needed. Reports to D&B and does not report to Experian.

Radio Shack � (888) 773-2435 � Requirements:

Revolving Account, net 30. Reports to D&B and Experian.

Sears � (800) 917-7700 � Requirements:

2 years in business, revolving acct, net 30, call to get application faxed to you. Reports to: D&B and Experian.

Sinclair Oil Gas Card � (800) 340-3466 � Requirements:

At least 4 trades, net 30-full balance, personal guaranteed required from each cardholder. Does not report to D&B or Experian.

Speedway Super America Fleet Gas Card � (800) 643-1948 � Requirements:

Net 30-full balance, at least 1 year in business.

Staples � (800) 669-5285 � Requirements:

Revolving account net 30. Reports to D&B and Experian.

Texaco � (800) 839-2267 � Requirements:

Need some credit history. Apply on-line. Reports to D&B and Experian.

Union 76 � (800) 944-7676 � Requirements:

2-3 trade references, 1 bank reference, duns check done on large businesses. Does not report to D&B or Experian

Wright Express Fleet Card � (800) 395-0812 � Requirements:

Some credit history, 3 years in business, net 26, full balance. Reports to D&B only.

Does it matter whether your company is LLC or INC to obtain corporate credit? I have a company I established as an LLC and have been in business since Sept 2006. I have waited until now to apply for company credit. I tried Conoco based on a previous post and was told that I needed a personal guarantee.

quickquestion

does a PG mean my ssn or ein

as well trade names are those that provideme with credit now rigiht/

thanks for all who respond your answers are priceless.

Hello Misty and all.

Can you recommend my next compaies to try at this early stage?

I believe there 4 reporting with 10 entries to D&B but not a full file they tell me..

þ STAPLES – NET30 – $3000 – 8-30-2007 Ordered - 9-10-2007 108.23 – Paid – $108 10/02/2007 – $216 by 11/06/2007

þ OFFICE DEPOT – $3000 Revolving – 8-28-2007 – every 3 months – Paid – $47 10/02/2007

þ DELL – $5,000 auto increase to $20,000 Revolving – 8-28-2007 Ordered: Paid – $200 10/04/2007

þ ULINE – NET30 Ordered: 22773583 - 9/4/2007 2:23 AM – Paid – $42 09/14/2007

þ GRAINGER – NET30 – $1000 – Account #872748694

þ ARAMARK – NET30 – 9-08 Your order number is 65293599 - Paid – $33 10/02/2007

þ RELIABLE – NET10 – Paid – $35 10/02/2007

How do you stablish a Corp. in NEvada? (LAS VEGAS)

I mean isnt ein for a corporation and getting a business license isnt enough?

Can someone tell me is there a way to get a cheaper license without having to have a lot of requirements? Just tell em that I want to offer services ? are they going to ask me for a shop address?

Here is information I compiled for you and others to review and get started. Best of luck to you.

Free Duns Number � Go to site listed below:

https://sbs.dnb.com/secure/eupintro.asp?bhc...hcd2=1079765286

Vendors Report to Bureaus & Provide Trade Reference. To obtain a paydex score (credit score) you need 5 trade references. Apply at the vendors listed below.

http://www.kinkos.com/products/accounts/legal.php (Kinkos)

http://www.dhl-usa.com/sbc/smbiz.asp?nav=sb (Airborne Delivery Services)

http://www.uline.com

http://www.viking.com (Office Supplies)

http://www.officefuel.com (Office Supplies)

Retail Credit Requirements

Accurate Office Supply � (800) 325-2551 � Requirements:

Net 30, revolving account, 3 trades and 1 bank trade. Call to have application faxed to you. Reports to D&B, but does not report to Experian.

Best Buy � (800) 811-7276 � Requirements:

Paydex: Yes � 65+

At least 2 years in business.

Chevron � (888) 243-8358 Requirements:

At least 2 years in business, DNB check revolving acct � net 30. Apply on-line. Reports to D&B and Experian.

Conoco, Inc. � (800) 764-9500 � Requirements:

Net 30-full balance, apply on-line located in 23 states, ask for locations. Reports to D&B and Experian.

Diners Club � (800) 234-6377 � Requirements:

Corporation accounts (minimum 5 cards) 3 years in business, $200,000 net worth, each card holder gives personal guaranty. Call to apply. Does not report to D&B or Experian.

Exxon Fuel � (800) 438-3996 � Requirements:

Net 30-full balance, 1 year secured or 3 years in business. Apply on-line. Does not report to D&B. Reports to Experian.

Fry�s Electronics � (714) 688-3000 � Requirements:

3 trades, 1 bank trade, net 30-full balance. Must submit financials and balance sheet before approval. Does not report to D&B or Experian

Grainger.com � (310) 327-7370 � Requirements:

Net 30-full balance. $1,000 min. credit limit, business license needed along with 1 bank trade and 2-3 other trades. Reports to D&B, but not to Experian.

Home Depot � (800) 685-6691 � Requirements:

2 years in business. Revolving account and/or net 30. Apply on-line. Reports to D&B and Experian.

JC Pennys � (407) 788-4022 � Requirements:

At least 6 months in business and paydex score required with no delinquencies. Call to apply. Does not report to D&B or Experian.

Kinko�s � (800) 488-3705 � Requirements:

Revolving account net 30, apply online, will check D&B number and verify business address. Reports to D&B only when requested by D&B. Does not report to Experian.

Lowes � (800) 445-6937 � Requirements:

Revolving account or net 30. 3 years in business. Reports to D&B only.

Macys � (800) 933-6229 � Requirements:

2 years in business and some credit history. Call to have application faxed to you. Reports to D&B and Experian.

Mobil Gas � (877) 959-1007 � Requirements:

Net 30-full balance, 1 year secured account or 3 years in business. Apply on-line. Reports to D&B and Experian.

Neiman Marcus � (800) 685-6695 � Requirements:

Must be in business 2 years and signer on account gives personal guaranty, call to have application mailed to you. Does not report to D&B, but does report to Experian.

Nordstroms � (800) 964-1800 � Requirements:

Net 30-full balance, 3-4 trades, verify 2 (trades should be net 30 accounts as well) call for application. Reports to D&B and Experian.

Office Depot � (800) 729-7744 � Requirements:

Revolving account, net 30. Must be incorporated. Print on-line and fax. Reports to D&B and Experian.

Office Max � (877) 633-4236 � Requirements:

Must have some credit history. Apply on-line. Payment has to be made after invoice is received. Reports to D&B and Experian.

Orchard Supply � (408) 281-3500 � Requirements:

Net 30, 3 trades with at least 3 months activity and 1 bank trade. Call to get application. Does not report to D&B or Experian

Phillips 66 Gas � (800) 648-4199 � Requirements:

Duns report pulled, 3 trades, 1 bank trade needed. Reports to D&B and does not report to Experian.

Radio Shack � (888) 773-2435 � Requirements:

Revolving Account, net 30. Reports to D&B and Experian.

Sears � (800) 917-7700 � Requirements:

2 years in business, revolving acct, net 30, call to get application faxed to you. Reports to: D&B and Experian.

Sinclair Oil Gas Card � (800) 340-3466 � Requirements:

At least 4 trades, net 30-full balance, personal guaranteed required from each cardholder. Does not report to D&B or Experian.

Speedway Super America Fleet Gas Card � (800) 643-1948 � Requirements:

Net 30-full balance, at least 1 year in business.

Staples � (800) 669-5285 � Requirements:

Revolving account net 30. Reports to D&B and Experian.

Texaco � (800) 839-2267 � Requirements:

Need some credit history. Apply on-line. Reports to D&B and Experian.

Union 76 � (800) 944-7676 � Requirements:

2-3 trade references, 1 bank reference, duns check done on large businesses. Does not report to D&B or Experian

Wright Express Fleet Card � (800) 395-0812 � Requirements:

Some credit history, 3 years in business, net 26, full balance. Reports to D&B only.

I am a Newbie, and this is my first post. I have been reading the board for the last two days.

I was excited to read the postings about the Citi and AmEx cards that do not consider personal credit. I read that I need to build up my Paydex to 80 with some vendors reporting, so I thought that I would start with Office Depot. Based on the post above, I applied for business credit with Office Depot, and was told they require a PG. Not sure if I will complete the application or not.

Here is what I have:

1. Business started in 2005, Incorporated in 2006.

2. Have Duns #

3. Have EIN

4. Have Corporate Phone & Address (UPS store)

5. Corporation is listed in Phone Book.

6. Have Corporate Bank Account

Still, Office Depot wanted PG. Did I do something wrong or misunderstand the previous post? Any help would be appreciated. I am running my business (as many of you have done) solely on cash, and it gets tight. my business grew 150% this year so far, and I could grow faster if I had more working capitol, and could get some love from the credit companies.

If I missed something in getting my business ready to be credit worthy, let me know.

Yesterday I signed up with a program called "Business Finance Coach." Anyone ever hear of that, and do you have any feedback??

Thanks.

Stradagize <_<

Why reinvent the wheel? I would suggest buying an aged corporation first, adding tradelines purchased from a reporting company and then you can go get 20k on a no PG credit card with the company and use that money to put into bank accounts going for bank lines of credit. That's the way I do it.

Good Luck

Dr. Torres

That only works if you have money to spare.. If not.. Good Luck with that.

Why reinvent the wheel? I would suggest buying an aged corporation first, adding tradelines purchased from a reporting company and then you can go get 20k on a no PG credit card with the company and use that money to put into bank accounts going for bank lines of credit. That's the way I do it.

Good Luck

Dr. Torres

And how does one do that, exactly?

Applied for D&B in 2006 and EIN in 2006. I applied for Sprint Cell phone service got it.

04/02/08 - Applied for Office Depot - approved for $2000

I applied for Best Buy and they could not find my articles for Corp.

Guess what my paralegal friend who was supposed to be handling everything did not take care of that and now my company name is taken. I know I should of been on top of it to make sure she handled it since she was the reg. agent and all.

What advice can you give about changing my D&B name to a different name without changing my current paydex score of 80?

I have registered a new name today that is basically spelled slighly different..instead of marks its marcs...

foxie1974 As far as changing your name w/ D&B do it via eupdate as a correction and everything should be fine.

Good Luck

Dr. Torres

Paging Dr Torres.

How do you do this??? What companies do you purchase tradelines from? Theres so many that claim to be legit but i would really like to know the real ones.

Great post by the way.

I read the instructions above but had additional question hope somebody can walk me through this.

I set up a Nevada C Corp last May and have done nothing with it yet. My office is in Maine. I would like to start applying for credit but am not sure how to fill out the Dun and Bradstreet application.

I looked at the DNB application through the http//www.ccr.gov and wonder what address I use: the Nevada address for the resident agent; or my home address where my office is located in Maine; or set up AIM PO Box in Nevada?

I put a business phone number in under my company name at my home address in Maine. Do I put a Maine phone number on DNB application for a Nevada corporation?

I have a PO Box in Maine because I do not get mail at my residence but what is the reason for forwarding phone bill to a AIM PO Box? Should all business bills use the PO Box address? Not clear on whether I need to set up Nevada PO Box.

Any guidence would be appreciated.