Sign in to follow this  
jack1212

All you want to know about LVNV

ok I know this is an old thread but just found you guys

Is it too late to dispute something with LVNV once you have received a civil summons from a district court? If it's not how should I proceed? I never even heard of them till this. If it's too late will they settle? Every single person we talked to regarding this debt was never willing to work with us. We eventually just ignored it all since they would never be satisfied. Hence apparently it was sold at some point and we were completely unaware. Thanks for any advice!!

if you have a civil summons, there will be no need for DV. That will happen in the discovery process.

if you have a civil summons, there will be no need for DV. That will happen in the discovery process.

ok but what should I do? How do I respond to the summons, does it cost money which is what I'm starting to gather from some of the things I've read here and is that what I should do? Obviously I don't want them to file, have a judgement against me and have my checking account froze. I know nothing and I am freaking out just a little since my husband just informed me 3 weeks after he received the dang thing and I am left holding the bag. It's in his name but it's my money as well and the house is in his name but again it's mine as well even if not on paper but the summons is for him solely.

you will get better help in the "served" forum. It doesnt cost to reply. Check and see how many days the summons has for you to reply. usually it's 20-30 state dependant.

if he hasnt touched it in 3 weeks, you need to SERIOUSLY check that timeframe.

Hello All! (And thank you Jack1212 for starting this thread on LVNbiteme!)

I've been studying these boards for a long time, trying to figure out what to do. I know I'll take a beatin' as a newbie but I'll need it to toughen up to fight these guys. IF they file on me, I'll have to get an atty (poor health), but my main purpose is to get enough to send to AG to start serious investigations.

Quick history:

• OC charged off 2005 about 800 bucks on cc.
  • 2006 Nationwide Credit, same acct. #, OC, 1200 bucks, dv'd & went away (HAH!)
  • 2007 Northstar, listing creditor as OC. Called & told them to take a hike until provide validation I had previously requested. (Yeah, like that stops these creeps)
  • 2008 lawyer letter from my home state, LVNbiteme as creditor, 1300 bucks, listed their file #, OC blah blah .............. Dv'd & it's been over a month but no response

SOOOO, now I'm trying to track when LVNbiteme got my account & started taking liberties.

By some miracle, I found the original Northstar Letter from 2007 & reread it. While it states the Creditor as the OC, the first line says the account was referred to them by LVNbiteme. Doesn't list them as a creditor or refer to them again (except had paper listing "Sherman Companies" folded in.)

I think anybody would assume, as I did, that they were just part of the OC's collection companies.

I think that's how they're getting past a lot of people & basically, circumventing our right to request validation within the first thirty days.

I'm not sure how to proceed as I think I made a misstep already (just started pulling credit reports), so disputed the OC and LVNVbiteme online as "not mine" with the first report. As the OC had the lower balance, etc., listed with identical acct#, & more accurate charge-off date, I probably shot myself in the foot on that one).

OH, SURPRISE! Just got TU report in the mail...LVNVbiteme now lists OC acct. as collateral!

Can't wait to see what EXP will show, maybe they're my new daddy.

jack thanks for responding

I apologize for just jumping in so carelessly. Needless to say I was in panic mode that having found out hours before and when I found this site I went crazy. Since then I have pretty much done non-stop reading and researching. I will admit you sharing a state with me makes me, whether accurate or not, feel like you know something more as it relates to my situation lol.

First I do have until May 10 for my response and have found some fairly good examples to work off of. I figure as long as I respond and cover my bases there it will, if nothing else, give me more time.

I reread this thread 2x and also the thread about factoring companies. Since they are in violation of some things do you feel it would benefit me to include it more as a tactic to let them know they might be biting off more then they want to deal with? We're talking about $1000 here so just one violation would make pursuing my husband almost pointless.

My second question is this and really it's simply asking for your valued opinion. With our friendly government rebate we theoretically could pay this and be done with it. We have not been in contact with the attorney. Bear in mind $1000 is a lot to us as we live on the lower income end of things and that money could be used for vital things needed...such as medical things that have been put off and may eventually turn into an emergency situation. With stuff like that we often have to wait for some type of rebate or tax returns to take care of them. My fear, which till now I would have been clueless on, is that even if we were to call, try to settle and settle and pay that it would come back later under a new name and would need to fight it all over again even though it was paid. This late in the game I cannot even validate and if I were to settle would I still need to respond to the summons due to the fact that I probably wouldn't get anything in writing to confirm payment and settlement and then would no longer have recourse in fighting it.

My final question is that I pulled credit reports. I have TU and Ex the other one's site was down. As many names as LVNV operates under and the CA's that it uses the only thing on the credit reports I have is LVNV and of course the OC which shows the charge-off prior to it being purchased by LVNV. While I have no doubt received correspondence and phone calls probably relating to this from different people I ignored it all so I can't say who I would expect to see. I guess that just means it wasn't reported by them and doesn't really mean anything?

Thanks for any info and thanks for all the wonderful info from you as well as others on this site. It is daunting and as someone who normally finds stuff like this fairly manageable I think I am pretty close to a breakdown :rofl: I was an accountant in another life so details and facts are my thing. Frankly I want to just give up and say fine just take whatever but with one income and two babies to feed I have to be sure we won't find ourselves without any money for a couple months due to a freeze on a bank account or something.

Note: I am not an expert, not a lawyer, I’m simply telling you what worked for me.

Ok, people have asked for it, here is THE LVNV thread. I have no guarantees that this will work for you, but I will share with you my experience and research. And please, keep this thread confined to LVNV or their “umbrella companies†only. Thanks.

Step one to Fighting them…

First, you have to research how this company functions. They operate under SEVERAL names. Sherman and ascent for example.

I have always kept a solid paper trail. I even keep a log on my computer of dates of events. (and if you do this, back it up with a disk from time to time, I learned that the hard way). Anyway after I got served , I was looking to see when LVNV sent their initial Dunning letter. It was NOT in my log. I knew that there was no way I could have missed it. I tore the house apart looking for it. No luck. The first letter I got that even mentioned LVNV was from UCB, who they got to collect on me.

So I made a thread here and asked “Has anyone ever gotten a dunning letter from LVNV� I felt SO stupid asking it. But little did I know, One of LVNV’s biggest secrets were about to be reveled. It turns out that the majority of people are NOT getting dunning letters directly from LVNV.

So I tried to find some caselaws to see how these guys work. The Best case I found was Heather Maloney vs. LVNV. Now I realized what was going on. They send dunning letters by a third party such as a law firm. Why? They are clearly trying to bypass the FDCPA by claiming to be the original creditors. They even ADMITTED to it in the case I cited.

So, if they were to send a dunning letter, it must by law have the mini Miranda on it. That would ruin their whole scam, because they would have to admit to being a collection agency! If they DIDN’T have the mini Miranda, they violate again. Therefore, they would be screwed either way.

This explains why they ignore DV requests. And if you do get one, it comes through whomever they hired.

Another Golden case to read is…

The Case of Peterson vs. United Accounts Inc, a consumer may sue a collection agency, even if previously sued on the debt. The Collection Agency may not use “collections†as a countersuit in federal court.

If you wind up in court, use the discovery phase to your advantage. Make them admit that they purchased your debt while it was in default. In the request for production of documents, ask them to produce the original dunning letter they sent to you. They cant. What if they make up one? Even better, because it MUST have the mini Miranda on it. Again, they would be screwed either way.

Step Two:

Stay one step ahead. They are famous for sending out the chaundry (sp?) letters. I however never got that. But if I had it to do over, I would send the entire case to them. Highlight the section that they always leave out. If you haven’t researched that case, you need to. It is NOT in favor of the JDB. They simply reword the case as they please. Now we’ve stricken that from evidence.

The famous Alison Moon affidavit. Except it’s under a different name now. The only thing this is good for is making paper airplanes. If you get one, let them know it’s hearsay! It does not fall under the business records exemption, as it was not made at or near the time of any transactions. Ask them for the contact info for the person that created it. If there were “Books and Records†that were true and correct, they would produce THEM instead of the affidavit. Remind them of what perjury is, and see if the affidavit creator is willing to commit it. For more on affidavits, read Dixie’s thread on winning lawsuits. Awesome stuff. Now we’ve stricken that from evidence. If you really want to hit them hard, subpoena the affidavit creator.

They will send a statement created by the CA. DV must come from the OC. Remind them of that. If they DO send something from the OC, such as a monthly statement, it’s not validation. A photocopy of a one month statement does not show the entire balance history.

If they still want to play OC, Ask them to produce the terms of agreement with THEIR company, signed by you. Ask them how much credit they extended to you. This will also get them on the one month term, and “open†account. Now we busted them on that.

It seems that they report “Data Factoringâ€(DF) on almost all reports. DF is a whole different topic. Do a search here. There’s a monster thread on it somewhere.

Now, you have to make them prove that they are a DF company. Make them PROVE that this is a DF account. If they bought it after CO, it’s impossible. (That’s a VERY in depth topic with its own thread, so check it out) Now we busted that.

Step Three

Each letter that you send, make sure it goes through their attorney. If one party did something wrong or illegal, let the other party know it. This creates a “self destruction†technique, as I call it, causing them to turn on each other. Neither the law firm or the JDB wants to be responsible for the other parties screw-up’s.

I CONSTANTLY stayed on them. Each week I sent the attorney another letter.

“Enclosed please find the complaint to the BBB, and forward it to your client†thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. (remember the litigious mindset?) Calm, cool, but serious.

Remember they should want YOU to go away, not the other way around. Let them know you are not hiding, and you are standing your ground.

The Next week, the AG letter was sent. And so on. I hounded the crap out of them.

If you decide to file complaints with AG, FTC, BBB, etc, do it before a suit is filed. Most of them will not get involved once litigation is made.

Always answer a summons. That alone got my case dismissed. We never even had a date set or made it to the discovery phase. Once they see you are putting up a fight, and you know their scams, they will back off.

When all else fails with ANY CA, remember this:

There comes a time in which the Validity of the debt is not even an issue, but their obvious violations are!

We get caught up way too much on “is this DV†or “what constitutes DVâ€. Forget that. Focus on the Violations, and turn the tables.

So we have seen pretty much how to have all their crappy evidence thrown out. So what do they have now?

Nothing.

But What do YOU have?

Caselaws

Green Cards

Copies of letters to them, DV requests etc.

Documented Violations

Credit damages

Letters you sent to BBB, and everywhere else to resolve the situation

Credit reports showing they are attempting to collect on a time barred debt.

FTC opinion letters

(Granted all of it is not evidence, but it looks good when you come in with a crapload of paperwork and are prepared.)

The Judge then says:

Ok Plaintiff, what do you have?

Ummm…He has to pay cause I said so!!

So as a review,

1) Don’t let them claim to be OC’s

2) Every piece of evidence they send can be contested or thrown out, as I showed you

3) The Self destruction technique

4) Research the chaundry case on THIS site, and see what they are rewording (I may have misspelled it)

5) Read the case law of Maloney vs. LVNV

6) If you play the discovery phase right, you can have them trapped. They can’t be an OC and a CA at the same time on the same account.

7) Read Dixie’s guide to winning lawsuits, great info on having the affidavit stricken from evidence.

When all else fails with ANY CA There comes a time in which the Validity of the debt is not even an issue, but their obvious violations are!

8) Research Data Factoring and see why it’s a FDCPA violation.

9) Caselaws are your friend. Don’t underestimate them!

Sorry LVNV, you tried to screw over the wrong member of the CB family. Now everyone knows how you operate.

That’s it folks. Hope it helped. Get the word out. Let people know the scam they pull. Feel free to add success stories, or scams you have found.

Oh yea, I forgot…..Never Quit, Never back down!!!!!!!!

Jack1212

I signed up with Lexington Law which is a firm specialized in credit repair. I have checked my records on all

three credit agency and the law firm has already sent out on my behalf the necessary letters to ask for the validation of the disputed debt. Lexington has contacted the CRA but not the creditors. Should I ask them to contact my creditors as well and inform them that actions were taken to request the validation of their claim? Following these actions the CRA should make sure all collection activity on my account will cease and the information should be removed from all three reporting agencies until written verification has been provided to me? Is that right? How long does it take for the CRA to take such measure?

Am I right? I anyone can help. Please do.

mallaparte, um, I think you are going to be hardpressed to find people here that advocate Lexington Law. You can do all of this yourself---without paying someone else to do it.

If you hired them I would hope you had enough confidence in them to do what they should be doing legally. I personally would fire them and read on here and do it myself. Plus, that way I KNOW what is going into the letters for sure. JMO. I think there are a few who have been burned going the route you are.

Well folks. My long battle is over. I filed suit, but lets say it never saw the courtroom.

They are now gone from all 3 reports. I cant discuss it any further. (Im sure you understand.)

This happened no time recently. I waited a few months to post this due to trolls.

I will however say, it is fact that they are breaking the law and are aware of it.

I encourage EVERYONE to file a complaint with the FTC asap, and get thier attention. No matter how big or small the problem is, file one. I'd love to see them get CAMCOED.

I hope the FTC gets 7,000 complaints on them in one week.

Never give up. They can be beat. But they do put up a hell of a fight.

(but we're stronger) B)

Jack

Well folks. My long battle is over. I filed suit, but lets say it never saw the courtroom.

They are now gone from all 3 reports. I cant discuss it any further. (Im sure you understand.)

This happened no time recently. I waited a few months to post this due to trolls.

I will however say, it is fact that they are breaking the law and are aware of it.

I encourage EVERYONE to file a complaint with the FTC asap, and get thier attention. No matter how big or small the problem is, file one. I'd love to see them get CAMCOED.

I hope the FTC gets 7,000 complaints on them in one week.

Never give up. They can be beat. But they do put up a hell of a fight.

(but we're stronger) :(

Jack

Congrats Jack!

drink1.gifdrink1.gifdrink1.gif

Congrats Jack!!!

I am glad it all came out well for you.

I hope to that you got some money out of them for your trouble, I know you cant say. But I am imagining you with a big pile of money in front of you while throwing darts and laughing at their dunning letter!

I just filed my complaint with the FTC on these jerks. Long story short, my story is similiar to everyone here.. I have been disputing with EQ for over 5 months and sending numerous letters (CMRR) requesting validation to no avail. They just still say "researching" to me while "verifying" with EQ. I finally spoke with a supervisor at EQ who, in fact, informed me to file a complaint with FTC on them. Um.. interesting.. I initial thought.. the CRA's may be "ON" to LVNV and giving consumers hints of items to pursue to get a successful resovle. While I understand that the CRA's are just sometimes.. trying to do their jobs.. they may be trying to give us all hints of what to do and who to complain with to obtain a sufficient resolve with jerks.

Anyway, I am right behind you Jack.. I am ready to file suit as I have enough paper/documentation, at this point, to wallpaper my kitchen (smile). All of my CMRR, letters, case opinion notes/laws, copies of inaccuracies on my credit report from these jerks I am ready to do battle. I say.. let's not give up CB family memberrs and let's continue to hit them where it matters. We have rights and they just refuse to comply with our rights. As much, we have to demand better protection by FTC, BBB and other regulatory authorities to ensure that our rights do get taken away because of our innocence and lack of exertsion with the law.

With people who have LVNV on their CR and it's showing open and a factoring account, are you first going the normal route of CRA & DV dispute before hitting both the CRA & LVNV with the factoring disputes?

I'm wondering if it's better to nickle and dime the CRA & LVNV with reapeasted letters bringing up different points or if to do one huge dispute with every single point you can find about why the account is invalid and should be removed.

I've just started my credit life--seriously barely--and for some unknown reason wwr pulled my report twice recently. How can I find out what's going on? Do I have to contact them by post to see what in the world they're pulling my report for? All my accounts are paid, current and in good standing. The only thing I've done is apply for new credit, sign up for some monitoring services, pay off old tiny collection (last year) and apply for a new job.

But from what I read, wwr is a ca, and has nothing to do with checking credit for companies (rental agency, employer, etc.).

Anything you say is help to me. Thanks. I'm young and trying to start off on the right foot!

well I just received my first reply to my DV letter (i actually received two replies) from these scumbags...errr i mean LVNV....and this is what they wrote, a bit confusing, hopefully someone can shed some light:

The first letter:

Dated 28 May 2008

Dear manny_33040:

re: acct# 1234567890xxxxxx

Information you provided has been forwarded to our Customer Service Department for research, however we have been unable to contact you regarding this account (hahaha good luck!)

If we are unable to establish contact with you within 30 days from the date of this letter, active collection efforts will resume on your account.

Please contact us at 1866-xxx-xxxx so we can update your contact information and assist you in resolving this account.

Sincerely,

SCUM of the earth

Letter # 2 reads: ------------------------------------

Dated 24 May 2008

Dear manny_33040:

This account has been placed with Resurgent Capital Services, LP.

Enclosed please find original validation:

Acct# 1234567890xxxxxx for manny_33040 was acquired from household is now owned by LVNV funding LLC.

At the time the account was acquired from household, household advised that the balance owing was 579.14. Since that time, additional interest, fees, payments, credits, and offsets, if applicable, have been allowed for a current balance of 879.51

Please note that any additional interest, fees, payments, credits and offsets made within the past 30 days may not be reflected in the above mentioned current balance.

-----------------------------------------------------

Please advise of what my next move should be, i smell blood, and i want to go for the kill.....

Thanks in advance!

well I just received my first reply to my DV letter (i actually received two replies) from these scumbags...errr i mean LVNV....and this is what they wrote, a bit confusing, hopefully someone can shed some light:

The first letter:

Dated 28 May 2008

Dear manny_33040:

Information you provided has been forwarded to our Customer Service Department for research, however we have been unable to contact you regarding this account (hahaha good luck!)

If we are unable to establish contact with you within 30 days from the date of this letter, active collection efforts will resume on your account.

Please contact us at 1866-xxx-xxxx so we can update your contact information and assist you in resolving this account.

Sincerely,

SCUM of the earth

Letter # 2 reads: ------------------------------------

Dated 24 May 2008

Dear manny_33040:

This account has been placed with Resurgent Capital Services, LP.

Enclosed please find original validation:

Acct# 1234567890xxxxxx for manny_33040 was acquired from household is now owned by LVNV funding LLC.

At the time the account was acquired from household, household advised that the balance owing was 579.14. Since that time, additional interest, fees, payments, credits, and offsets, if applicable, have been allowed for a current balance of 879.51

Please note that any additional interest, fees, payments, credits and offsets made within the past 30 days may not be reflected in the above mentioned current balance.

-----------------------------------------------------

Please advise of what my next move should be, i smell blood, and i want to go for the kill.....

Thanks in advance!

Ok, so tell them they forgot to send the validation. Cause it sure aint in that letter!

Well just wanted to update everyone on the latest developments. Yesterday I received another letter from these knuckleheads, and now they are claiming that they are "investigating the matter". So to summerize I received 3 letter from these jokers in the past 5 days. One with an attempt to validate (computer printout from their computer systems), and two letters stating they are "investigating" and "researching" the matter ... interesting...

Spoke to my attorney today. I have two accounts showing up from LVNV. I was told that little recourse could be had regarding them showing as a "Factoring Company" as it won't hurt your score anymore than Collection.

However, the fact that they are reporting them as open, with 1 month terms and active accounts, means they are double reporting, as the OC is still on the credit report.

He is meeting with a few of his contacts as I told him I learned a bit about the company from other people who are having the same problem with LVNV and they are discussing if it's Class Action material. I would have been happy simply having it removed, however I'd be more than happy to completely take down Sherman Acq. in the process.

Thanks for all the info Jack.. your Jack Attack has raised my score damn near 80 points in the past 2 1/2 months.

Well, I have officially become part of the LVNV haters' club. They are now reporting both accounts on my credit report as FACTORING and OPEN and all of that good stuff. I was told that Resurgent "owned" these accounts so I have no idea how LVNV is reporting this. LOL.

I guess I am now going to have to shoot off some DVs, oh and I also show a pull by WWR as well. GRRRR. Funny, but Global Vantedge had these alleged accts and they were the ones who CLEARLY stated in my BBB complaint that Resurgent owned these and that LVNV had nothing to do with it.

check your credit report; is lvnv funding or resurgent listed? Resurgent just manages the accounts for LVNV ; I do not believe they own anything; they are both owned by Sherman Financial, who owns CreditOne Bank. Alegis is Resurgent's general partner.

Resurgent performs all the reporting of the account, and has stated so to the FTC;

Background on Resurgent
Resurgent is a servicer of distressed consumer debt and reports information related to those debts to the consumer reporting agencies as requested by the debt purchaser. Account updates are submitted to the three national credit reporting agencies (CRAs) on a monthly basis. Because of the status of the accounts serviced, reporting is conducted as a factoring company in accordance with the rules outlined by the Consumer Data Industry Association (CDIA) an interpretations offered by the major credit reporting agencies. The following comments are based on Resurgent’s experience in reporting in this context

go to recap.com for info on their company; go to LVNVfunding.com

this is what I've advised Resurgent after they failed to validate and hired WWR to collect;

I have been contacted by Weltman, Weinberg & Reis concerning a collection account from LVNV Funding, and replied to them via Certified Mail, that the debt is in dispute with your firm. Since Resurgent Capital services handles all collection activities on behalf of LVNV Funding and since I have not receive a reply from you as of this date , as required by the Fair Debt Collection Act and Arizona State laws, I am surprised that you have outsourced collection of this account to Weltman, Weinberg & Reis, because in doing so, I believe you are in violation of the FDCPA and Arizona State laws; by continuing collection activities without providing validation, investigation of dispute, responding or any legal proof that you have a right to collect on the aforementioned account.

In my opinion, you have failed to validate this debt. I must remind you that I originally disputed this debt within the 30-day dispute period outlined in the FDCPA and that I am now also responding in a timely manner to your attempt of further collection. Because I still consider this debt as "still in dispute" I do not expect to hear from you or any other firms you subcontract collections to again except to provide information or documentation as previously requested, to clear up my reasons for disputing this debt.

Should you pursue a judgment without accurate and legal validation of this debt, I will inform the judge and request the case be dismissed based on your failure to comply with the FDCPA , your possible attempt to circumnavigate the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the fact I have communicated a willingness to settle this debt . If you should file a false affadavit in support of a judgement, I will sue in Federal court citing this case; Todd v. Weltman, Weinberg & Reis Co., No. 04-4109 (6th Cir.).

I have previously disputed this debt with your company, and assigning this account for collection after I have disputed this debt with you does not releive you of your obligation to provide Debt Validation (as requested in previous letters), directly to me Therefore, until validated, you know your information given to other collection agencies concerning this debt is inaccurate. And if you have already reported this debt to any credit-reporting agency (CRA) or Credit Bureau (CB) then, you must immediately inform them of my dispute with this debt. Reporting information that you know to be inaccurate or failing to report information correctly violates the Fair Credit Reporting Act § 1681s-2.

this is what I advised WWR;

I have been previously contacted by Central Credit services, concerning a collection account from LVNV Funding, and replied to them via Certified Mail requesting Debt Validation, I did not receive a reply from them, but did receive a letter from Resurgent Capital services. I replied to Resurgent and LVNV Funding via Certified Mail, disputing the amount, and asking again in that same letter, for Debt Validation. To Date, I have not received a reply. I am enclosing copies of all correspondence and certified mail receipts.

Since I have not received the requested Debt validation from Resurgent Capital Services or from LVNV funding, as required by the Fair Debt Collection Act and Arizona State laws, I am surprised that they have assigned this account to you, Because in doing so, I believe they are in violation of the FDCPA and Arizona State laws; by continuing to attempt to collect without providing validation, or any legal proof that they have a right to collect on the aforementioned account.

WWR folded; I've since filed complaint with the FTC and AZ consumer affairs, asking for Resurgents lic to be suspened or revoked. and for WWR & CCS to be fined for trying to collect in az w/o a lic ( class 1 m & $2500.00 fine)

I'll keep you posted on the reply, if any from AZ consumer affairs or the FTC; interestingly enough, the FTC just filed against CompuCredit and jefferson Capital for the exact same scheme sherman financial group has going;

LVNV funding will probably just sell this account & I'lll have to go through it all over again......, but if they do, I will still get my day in court with them, resurgent and WWR.......

If you want all the companies owned by sherman , go the the sosNevada website and do a business enitity search, but search for an individual; scott silver he is the principle manager of all these companies and the Nevada website lists all the officers.