Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Five precious papers to hang on to

The last post in this topic was posted 4803 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

excellent advice. I know as much as I'd like to burn my BK papers that I need them forever.

haha, i hear ya. I wish I could torch my BK papers also.

I never knew about keeping the car sticker thing. I've never had a new car in my life (always drive used cars) but it's good to know.

excellent advice. I know as much as I'd like to burn my BK papers that I need them forever.

haha, i hear ya. I wish I could torch my BK papers also.

I never knew about keeping the car sticker thing. I've never had a new car in my life (always drive used cars) but it's good to know.

I've kept our new car sitckers. sometimes dealers forget to give them to the buyer. consumers should always ask for the originals.

remember when people would burn their mortgage papers once the house was paid off? Seems in this day and age that would be unwise, even if fun.

remember when people would burn their mortgage papers once the house was paid off? Seems in this day and age that would be unwise, even if fun.

Nah, those docs get recorded at your county offices. A certified copy is as good as the original for legal purposes. Burn away, baby! :blink:

bottom of 2nd page:

"Fred was one of them. When a collector contacted him about owing $194 for a cell phone account he'd closed in 2001, he didn't recall owing the debt. But rather than risk his credit scores, he paid up.

Later he came across an old statement showing he had, indeed, paid the original bill in full. Unfortunately, paying the bogus bill didn't save his scores -- far from it. The collectors reported the account anyway, sending Fred's scores to the basement."

Too bad Fred didn't know about CB <_<

Thanks for the link! I didn't think about keeping final bills showing zero balances. That's good to know. And hey, I kept the original car sticker for my car mostly for sentimental reasons - it was my first new car EVAR and I just wanted it. Nice to know it's a good thing to keep. :rofl:

Nah, those docs get recorded at your county offices. A certified copy is as good as the original for legal purposes. Burn away, baby! :blink:

but arn't BK papers ok to burn then? since the court has the official ones?

Nah, those docs get recorded at your county offices. A certified copy is as good as the original for legal purposes. Burn away, baby! :P

but arn't BK papers ok to burn then? since the court has the official ones?

Not sure how that works. I used to work in the Register's office, not the court. But I would think that BK papers are something you might reference more often, and would at least need a copy to hang on to just in case. Once your mortgage is paid, it's not like you'll want to go back and read through those 10 pages of legalese for nostalgia's sake. :grin:

The last post in this topic was posted 4803 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.