Sign in to follow this  
chemmastr

AMEX Blue Student

Okay, so I don't have credit.

I've worked on it, 2 Months ago I got a Macy's card.

I had a student computer loan for $2000 that I paid off the day before I applied for the AMEX blue for students card.

So i got declined, I called in and the rep said I had too many outstanding balances, I asked and she said their EX Report was up to date as of 9/8. (I applied 9/11, Paid Loan off 9/10).

The email that I received today said I was denied because of not enough CC History (IM A STUDENT!!).

So after searching the forums, I called Macy's and got my credit up'd to 269.

Here is were I'm stuck,

Should I Recon AMEX in October, (to make sure the loan is posted as paid off in full), or should I apply for a Dell Preferred Account (guaranteed approval).

Or just apply for an easier CC (Searched the forum, says AMEX is hard to get/elite.) Whats an easier card?

Thanks for the help guys, I searched the forum but doesn't look like another AMEX blue student card has gotten declined! GRR! :(

I had a student computer loan for $2000 that I paid off the day before I applied for the AMEX blue for students card.

So i got declined, I called in and the rep said I had too many outstanding balances, I asked and she said their EX Report was up to date as of 9/8. (I applied 9/11, Paid Loan off 9/10).

The email that I received today said I was denied because of not enough CC History (IM A STUDENT!!).

Here is were I'm stuck,

Should I Recon AMEX in October, (to make sure the loan is posted as paid off in full), or should I apply for a Dell Preferred Account (guaranteed approval).

Or just apply for an easier CC (Searched the forum, says AMEX is hard to get/elite.) Whats an easier card?

Thanks for the help guys, I searched the forum but doesn't look like another AMEX blue student card has gotten declined! GRR! :angry:

You should apply for a major visa or mc first with a credit union preferrably or major bank that doesn't require credit history such as BOA or JFCU......

When i came to US three years I got Citi Dividend Platinum Select Visa Card for College Students, and Citi mtvUTM Platinum Select Visa Card for College Students with zero credit in this country.

Citi MTVU is a great card for students and even highly desired by non-students. Getting in with CITI is a good idea too.

One of the better credit card companies to be with.

Go for the MTVU card.

Here is were I'm stuck,

Thanks for the help guys, I searched the forum but doesn't look like another AMEX blue student card has gotten declined! GRR! :(

You should apply for a major visa or mc first with a credit union preferrably or major bank that doesn't require credit history such as BOA or JFCU......

Sounds good, I might do that. I did get a $2000 Loan from a credit union 2/07. I Paid it off this month, I just don't know if it would be better to stick to the credit union credit card or try to get a student card from another company.

My goal is to retire with just 1-2 credit cards that have high limits. I'm 19, my dad has pretty much done his best to keep me from getting just 1 CC, and now that I moved out I can experiment. He pays my rent so it is ez for me to pay off bills.

Amex denied me on Blue Student due to not enough history, but approved me on Blue after recon. Yas have the macy's card.. Though it can' hurt to wait a little longer

:o

Recons n'er hurt - (Override Queue)

Amex denied me on Blue Student due to not enough history, but approved me on Blue after recon. Yas have the macy's card.. Though it can' hurt to wait a little longer

:)

Wow I'm in the same boat as you! What did you do to get regular Blue?

:clapping:

Wow I'm in the same boat as you! What did you do to get regular Blue?

About a month later, hoping that hitting the 6th month mark of having a credit history would help, I applied again on the website, but ended up applying for the Blue accidentally.

Denied.

Called in asking for recon, basically stating over and over that I'd like a human to look at it, that the credit history I had was perfect, had a steady job, no debts, etc etc. Eventually got someone who talked to their supervisor to put me into the override queue for someone to look at it. Called back for the next week checking on it every day. (For reference, there's a reference # on the denial letter that they use). Then one day on calling in, hey said I was approved for 2k. And that's that.

Just don't expect a CLI on activation :good:

Edited by ASayre

Here is were I'm stuck,

Thanks for the help guys, I searched the forum but doesn't look like another AMEX blue student card has gotten declined! GRR! :clapping:

Stay away from the Dell Preferred acount if you can. Their interest will kill you.

AMEX is pretty strict now. They gave me the dreaded "annual review" about 9 months ago. They slashed my credit limit from 10k to 5.4k. I had a 5.2k balance, so this maxed me out instantly.

If you search around for AMEX. AMEX is trying to limit their exposure by reducing the credit available. They may even be tightening underwriting standards for new cards.

Several banks seem to be doing it. Citi cards are pretty easy to get, though. I have 2 Citi Premier Pass cards that were approved, when I had a mediocre 600-650 FICO. They have never rate jacked me, even though my AMEX was maxed out and had high utilization.

American Express gave me blue over 2 years ago with a limit of $500... and no credit history. (The same month I got a $1500 limit Citi card.)

I would suggest applying for a mtvU Platinum Select or Citi Dividend Platinum Select card for students from Citi. If you maintain the card well (ie... pay on time every month, preferably the entire balance) they will likely increase your credit line after 6 months.)

Once you establish some history, you may be able to get a real AmEx (I was able to get Clear)