Sign in to follow this  
ASayre

Citi Professional

Is it possible to convert a Citi Dividend to a citi professional? I've read conflicting information on these forums as well as from Citibank and I'm not quite sure What the deal is with it.

Or do I need to convert it to a different type of card and then to the pro?

Thanks,

I would just apply for the pro card. Look around and find a thank you promo for at least 15k points. If you convert, you won't get the promo points.

I know this doesn't help, but out of curiosity why do you want to convert to the Professional card?

I currently have the Chase freedom with dynamic rewards - 3% on top 3 categories of the following:

1. Grocery Stores

2. Gas & Convenience Stores

3. Fast Food & Quick Service Restaurants

4. Utilities (Gas and Electric, etc.)

5. Drugstores

6. Commuting

7. Pet Supply Stores/Veterinarian

8. Phone/Cell Phone Bills

9. Movie Theaters

10. Department Stores

11. Gym Membership

12. Beauty Salon/Spas

13. Movie Rentals

14. Dry Cleaner

15. Cable/Satellite TV, Internet Provider

Since the only expenses that I have are groceries, dept store and fast food restaurants , that covers the majority of expenses.

For Gas, office supplies and cell phones, I have our business SimplyCash AMEX for 5% on those.

The only major expense I have left that isn't covered is normal restaurants. Sit-down type restaurants. In fact, that's probably my #1 expense out of everything.

I want the 3% on restaurants. I don't want to go for the AMEX Costco due to perceived increased risk of FR for having multiple cards.

That leaves, as far as I know, only the Chase and citi professional cards. Figured since I already have a chase card that I would be using, and a citi card I would not be active on, that it'd be best to convert the citi card.

Hm, are there any other cards that offer 3% on restaurants? Discover has 5% on 'em, but that's only from Oct -> Dec

Professional is a HARD card to convert from and to.

The only way that I know of, thanks to a nice person at Bofa,

is you need to convert to Diamond Prefered first. Diamond Prefered is the only card allowed to convert to a Professional, or from a Professional.

I had to convert to the Diamond Prefered, and the day after I got an account number, I converted to the card I realy wanted.

Hope this works for you

I myself am looking for a 5% reward both dining and fast food. Citi has a college card called MTVu that you get 5 points on both fast food and dining. It works out to be 3.1% reward. 8000 points = $50. 8000/5points is $1600 in food to get your $50. Don't know if it's easy to get it if you're not enrolled in college. I may try to get it myself.

Citi Professional does thank you points as well, correct? If you're wanting a cash back reward, the professional is not 3%. You'll accrue 3 points for every one dollar spent. Certain gift cards are descent deals, $100 GC for 10,000 points, but again, cash rewards are 8000 points for $50, if you did all resturants, that's 8000/3=$2666... $2666 spent yields $50 in cash, 1.8% reward.

Citi Professional does thank you points as well, correct? If you're wanting a cash back reward, the professional is not 3%. You'll accrue 3 points for every one dollar spent. Certain gift cards are descent deals, $100 GC for 10,000 points, but again, cash rewards are 8000 points for $50, if you did all resturants, that's 8000/3=$2666... $2666 spent yields $50 in cash, 1.8% reward.

They have both a citi card on the thankyou network and one that's cashback, and one without rewards at all.

I'll try switching over to the diamonds preferred and then to the pro on monday!

They have both a citi card on the thankyou network and one that's cashback, and one without rewards at all.

I'll try switching over to the diamonds preferred and then to the pro on monday!

Cool, didn't know they had a CB option. Well I tried to convert my dividends to MTVu, no dice. I asked if I could convert over to diamond, and was told no problem HOWEVER, if you don't have a $0 you will begin accruing interest immediately, prior to the close of the first statement. I spoke to a supervisor on that, I still think it's not really like that. Regardless I'll pay it off prior to moving forward.

Let us know how professional works...It's a business card right? The TL doesn't report CRA (unless you pay late) correct? Also I wonder if and how they go about verifing your business. If I choose to go professional, might be hard for me as I'm active duty air force.

Professional DOES report. It is the CHASE Professional that does not report. They do not need any business information because it is not a business card. It is a card that is marketed as usable for buisiness-type expenses.

Great info. I'm also curious to see citi's "conversion" process. Although I assume it's going to be the double wammy of close the old TL and open a new TL. Other ways are keeping the old TL history the same and just changing the name or carrying over the old TL history to the new TL. If I convert, I'd want to DP as short as possible so I'd try and convert it the day I received the DP card.

So far the consensus is that the Citi Professional Cash Back does not report.

And so far that has proven correct for me.

I applied for the Citi Professional Cash card recently, and was approved earlier this month, around the 6th/7th...so about a week ago.

I just got an alert today saying that a new account from Citi has started reporting to Transunion, and since I have no other new accounts from Citi, I can safely assume that it is the new Professional Cash card that is reporting, and I'm not in the mood for using up another $12.95 to pull my TU report.

I guess I'm one of the lucky/unlucky ones, depending on how you look at it :P

Has anyone else's Professional Cash card started reporting?

So far the consensus is that the Citi Professional Cash Back does not report.

And so far that has proven correct for me.

I applied for the Citi Professional Cash card recently, and was approved earlier this month, around the 6th/7th...so about a week ago.

I just got an alert today saying that a new account from Citi has started reporting to Transunion, and since I have no other new accounts from Citi, I can safely assume that it is the new Professional Cash card that is reporting, and I'm not in the mood for using up another $12.95 to pull my TU report.

I guess I'm one of the lucky/unlucky ones, depending on how you look at it :rofl:

Has anyone else's Professional Cash card started reporting?

Got the same alert from CS and CIP or TC (when I had it) that I had a new account with Citi. Pro Cash would have been the only one at the time.

That was about a week or two ago. No new Citi account according to CS, CIP, and MyFICO when I view my accounts................

Weird, huh?

Edited by sunmicroman

is you need to convert to Diamond Prefered first. Diamond Prefered is the only card allowed to convert to a Professional, or from a Professional.

I had to convert to the Diamond Prefered, and the day after I got an account number, I converted to the card I realy wanted.

Hope this works for you

Converted from dividends to Diamond preferred last night. I was told I keep the same account number. I then asked the rep if it was possible to convert the DP to professional. The rep looked and said it couldn't be done with her system and that she will check with a supervisor. After a 5min wait, was told it's impossible to switch from a consumer product to a business product. I was just going to wait until I receive and activate the DP before I try to convert again.

Later this year or early next year, I plan on trying (and hopefully succeeding) at combining ALL my Citi lines into my Prof card. With the slashed rewards on the DPR, Prof is the only card I currently use.

OP, do a search for StephenB - IIRC, he was able to do some massive combining involving the Prof card a month or two ago.

Hope this works for you

What number did you use to do this?

And also, BTW, sorry to ask, but why would a person at BofA know about what cards Citi will and won't convert to and from? Unless they have a Citi card themselves or worked for Citi at one time.

I've had Citi Pro Cash since Jan. Can't speak for others, but mine has reported to CRA's since day 1.

I use it strictly for the 3% on restaurants and car rentals. Strongest rebates for those categories available from any card (others have 3% for fast food, but not all restaurants.) Picked up $30 last month alone while on vacation between 10 day car rental and dining.

The card has a nice bonus -- a 12 mo 0% bt which can be initiated any time in the first year of cardmembership. Fee is 3% but is capped at $50.

It's a nice complement to my Citi Driver's Edge, which for the first year features 6% on "EDP" (3% thereafter) plus $.01/mi driven in matching rebates. Note that cash redemptions on this card are in the form of reimbursement for car maintenance receipts, but between oil changes, car washes/waxes, and annual state inspection that's hardly a problem. Alternatively, you can convert to TY points.

(I look to hit up the bt just before the 6% rebate drops to 3% at the end of the first year. I'm keeping some earned rebates untapped so that I can claim 2nd year mileage when I redeem the balance of the 1st year balance, even though I'll be leaving the card dormant to take maximum advantage of the 0% rate benefit. I'll be moving charging back to my 5% EDP Chase Plus ... we'll see how long that rate stays intact once I begin use of that card again :blush2: