Sign in to follow this  
aescutie

Speeding ticket

If you want to talk about revenue generation, don't be a Virginia resident. The recent increase in fines for certain traffic violations would make your head spin. And the state has made no secret that the increases are to fund road improvements. I've heard the phrase....aggressive driver's tax...being thrown around.

Also if you want to talk about blatant revenue generation, don't drive through DC. It's one big speed trap with automated photo radar units all over the city. Their fine schedule starts like this. 1 to 10 MPH over the limit is if I recall correctly a $20 fine. Yes, you read that right....1 MPH over the limit can get you a ticket. The DC police chief was asked on a radio talk show about what the buffer is over the speed limit before the photo radar indicates a violation. She hemmed and hawwed around the question and basically just flat out refused to answer the question. Meanwhile, Montgomery County, MD has started photo radar enforcement and has stated in B/W that a ticket will only be generated if the car is over 10 MPH over the posted speed limit.

;) You're absolutely right about DC, it's treacherous to drive through there now.

Oh yeah and then what reward do I get for avoiding an accident? Ha nothing. I love it, punishment for driving bad but no reward for doing good.

Your life isn't reward enough? I mean, had you not avoided the accident there could have been severe injury or death.

IMO, that is what is increasingly wrong with this country - the sense of entitlement. You do the right thing because it's the right thing to do; not because you are going to get rewarded for it.

Oh yeah and then what reward do I get for avoiding an accident? Ha nothing. I love it, punishment for driving bad but no reward for doing good.

Your life isn't reward enough? I mean, had you not avoided the accident there could have been severe injury or death.

IMO, that is what is increasingly wrong with this country - the sense of entitlement. You do the right thing because it's the right thing to do; not because you are going to get rewarded for it.

No my life isn't reward enough, if I had stayed at home I would have accomplished the same thing. Sorry no sense of entitlement here, if you're going to punish you have to reward equally. Otherwise you create a sense of resentment and hatred towards the punisher. Again, go try to train a dog using only punishment it does nothing more than make a mean dog. I most likely wouldn't have been killed, infact I probably would have suffered minor injuries but could have turned around and sued for thousands of dollars.

I also don't see how you're saying driving the speedlimit or not getting a ticket is the "right" thing to do. What makes it right? Because some doped up politician decided that was the "right" thing to do. Once you step outside of the basics of humanity you start down a very slippery slope of defining what is right and wrong. Killing is wrong, stealing is wrong, harming another is wrong. Speeding is only "wrong" because some politician says it is. So long as you don't harm or kill someone while doing it I don't see how it is wrong. Who says not speeding is the "right" thing to do either? There are just as many accidents caused by people not speeding, if not more accidents, than there are by people speeding. The majority of accidents I see on our roads are not from speeding, they're from these salamanders like this lady who wasn't speeding and infact was going below the speedlimit and she came closer to causing an accident than I ever have driving 10-20mph over the speedlimit.

So yes I think I deserve to be rewarded for avoiding an accident that was caused by someone else's negligence. However, if they decided to stop punishing for bad driving behavior then I would say that there should also be no reward for good driving.

Edited by lofar

No my life isn't reward enough, if I had stayed at home I would have accomplished the same thing. Sorry no sense of entitlement here, if you're going to punish you have to reward equally. Otherwise you create a sense of resentment and hatred towards the punisher. Again, go try to train a dog using only punishment it does nothing more than make a mean dog. I most likely wouldn't have been killed, infact I probably would have suffered minor injuries but could have turned around and sued for thousands of dollars.

I also don't see how you're saying driving the speedlimit or not getting a ticket is the "right" thing to do. What makes it right? Because some doped up politician decided that was the "right" thing to do. Once you step outside of the basics of humanity you start down a very slippery slope of defining what is right and wrong. Killing is wrong, stealing is wrong, harming another is wrong. Speeding is only "wrong" because some politician says it is. So long as you don't harm or kill someone while doing it I don't see how it is wrong. Who says not speeding is the "right" thing to do either? There are just as many accidents caused by people not speeding, if not more accidents, than there are by people speeding. The majority of accidents I see on our roads are not from speeding, they're from these salamanders like this lady who wasn't speeding and infact was going below the speedlimit and she came closer to causing an accident than I ever have driving 10-20mph over the speedlimit.

So yes I think I deserve to be rewarded for avoiding an accident that was caused by someone else's negligence. However, if they decided to stop punishing for bad driving behavior then I would say that there should also be no reward for good driving.

By the logic of "no harm, no foul", I could simply just walk out to the curb and fire a few shots at random. After all, the odds are significant that no one is going to be hit or injured.

By the logic of "no harm, no foul", I could simply just walk out to the curb and fire a few shots at random. After all, the odds are significant that no one is going to be hit or injured.

That's the point. In some areas, and some circumstances that would be perfectly legal. Once you step outside of pretty much what's written in the 10 commandments you're subject to someone elses opinion and definition of what's right and wrong.

And a valid counter argument would be if someone were to do that and someone else were to tackle them down and take the gun before they killed someone that other person would be deemed a hero for what they did. There would be news vans all over him. Yet today, by what others have said I saved my life, the life of that dumb lady driving and possibly lives of other people on the road yet no one gives a damn. But dang catch me 5mph over the speed limit and i'm breaking the law, fined, and forced to go to court for it and pay a crap ton of money.

As well, another point why didn't the cop stop to write that woman a ticket who was clearly a danger on the road? Because they don't care. It's a business to them and most cops only enforce the easy laws, it's real easy to catch someone speeding and write up a ticket for it. It's a lot more work to find people swerving, not using directionals, or doing other stupid stuff on the road.

Edited by lofar

I'll admit that I'm more petty about this than most of ya. I always take it to court if for no other reason than to make the cop waste his time going down to testify against me.

Here in NC I will send you to a MTV (minor traffic violation) day and you either plead guilty or not guilty. I don't even have to show up. If you pled not guilty then I'm subpoenaed to court and thats where the fun begins. I get paid for 5 hours if I'm only there for 5 minutes, and depending on how busy I was I'm in court a lot.

And when someone contests the ticket thats usually fun also, not only do I bring all my certifications, and calibration records I also show up with a video tape of our entire stop. My radar is hooked into my camera so from the time I start clocking you, and lock you its all on tape. Funny, most people don't want to go to trial after I show them or their lawyers the tape. Same with DWI's.

Where in NC are you from and can you please stay away from me? :rolleyes:

Good lord you are one stupid beyotch.

Wow.. From an argument to a personal insult. Thanks, great way to finish off an argument and from a board admin too. Guess i'm done with this board, was fun while it lasted but I won't tolerate being insulted by someone on the internet.

Wow.. From an argument to a personal insult. Thanks, great way to finish off an argument and from a board admin too. Guess i'm done with this board, was fun while it lasted but I won't tolerate being insulted by someone on the internet.

Wow, I guess you won't ever be spending much time online anywhere. Having a chip on your shoulder and thin skin just isn't a good combination.

Your "reward" is staying alive and out of the hospital and out of jail.

Sorry, but I see no reason for the police to "reward" those for following the law. The reward is staying outta court and outta jail. :o They're there to make sure the laws are upheld, by punishing those that are BREAKING the law. If you resent the fact that that is their job, then either stop breaking the law or stop whining about getting in trouble for breaking said laws.

ETA: As far as not agreeing that something is "right or wrong" even though there are laws against certain things...You can always try and go buy your own private island away from any country and run it yourself as the country of Lofar.

Edited by angeleyeskkhr

No offense, but was that really nessicary?

Yes.

Yup apparently.

Nice to see that the admins here seem to be exempt from their own rules.

You further agree not to use Creditboards.com to send or post on message boards or any place on Creditboards.com, any message or material that is unlawful, harassing, libelous, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, obscene, profane

That is why i'm stepping out, not because I can't handle an argument or comments from other people. And from someone who claims to be so in favor of following rules and never breaking laws, looks like you just broke a bunch of them on your own message board.

As to why it was necessary. People who have no valid rebuttal to an argument generally resort to personal and vulgar attacks in an attempt to break the morale and spirit of the person presenting the other side of the discussion. So sad that someone given such power here has the total inability to control themselves and respect the other members here.

And with that, this is my last post as obviously no one cares. Please feel free to delete my account, any associated posts, and ban me if you'd like. I won't be back, I realize i've been wasting me time.

Yup apparently.

You further agree not to use Creditboards.com to send or post on message boards or any place on Creditboards.com, any message or material that is unlawful, harassing, libelous, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, obscene, profane

That is why i'm stepping out, not because I can't handle an argument or comments from other people. And from someone who claims to be so in favor of following rules and never breaking laws, looks like you just broke a bunch of them on your own message board.

As to why it was necessary. People who have no valid rebuttal to an argument generally resort to personal and vulgar attacks in an attempt to break the morale and spirit of the person presenting the other side of the discussion. So sad that someone given such power here has the total inability to control themselves and respect the other members here.

And with that, this is my last post as obviously no one cares. Please feel free to delete my account, any associated posts, and ban me if you'd like. I won't be back, I realize i've been wasting me time.

While you're quoting things, dearie, you missed this one from the bottome of the page

The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction.

And we aren't going to ban/delete you, we generally don't ban people based solely on their stupidity.

Pam is an OWNER here. When you visit her sandbo, you live by her rules or don't come to visit anymore. When it's your sandbox, you can make up whatever rules you want.

Am I the only 1 thinking how mild that was coming from Pam?

Pam, you make the new me so proud... Extra good Karma will come your way soon, though you may be too tired to enjoy it...

Cotterpin, as usual, a positive beacon of light you are...May your nausea be short-lived

Guess i'm done with this board, was fun while it lasted but I won't tolerate being insulted by someone on the internet.

So if someone insults you in person, you don't mind??????

Looking for his "No, please don't go! We'll be losssst without youuuuuuuu" pleadings, I guess.

Yes.

Yup apparently.

:rofl: Really a bad idea to tell a owner how to run their own board.

Lol - it's funny but I was driving home tonight and they just finished repaving a major road today. I saw all that black top and thought of you and SLOWED DOWN! Thanks, because someone else got the ticket instead of me! :glare::rofl:

Always glad to be of service :lol: I tell ya that new paved black top will get you every time.....

:D Always try the court. I have been good since I've come back. I hope it works out for you. aescutie your baby is so cute and getting BIG!!! Did I mention that's another thing in Egypt; they drive like maniacs over ther!! I almost had a heart attack! :swoon:

aescutie,

Just focus on getting a PBJ. Don't even bring up any thing about a defensive driving school. It's a total waste of your time. Big deal if you get points off your record. The violation will still appear on it and your insurance company will certainly see it if they do a record check on you.

I disagree about defensive driving being a waste of time. I took it late last year/early this year online through AARP (no, I'm nowhere near being an old fogey) and it saved me close to $200 on my 6-month premium with Geico. I hadn't had any recent violations, but I read that it could help lower your premiums. I did email Geico first to make sure the course would be honored by them and to find out how much I would save. The course was less than $20.

My only regret was not doing it sooner ;)

aescutie,

Just focus on getting a PBJ. Don't even bring up any thing about a defensive driving school. It's a total waste of your time. Big deal if you get points off your record. The violation will still appear on it and your insurance company will certainly see it if they do a record check on you.

I disagree about defensive driving being a waste of time. I took it late last year/early this year online through AARP (no, I'm nowhere near being an old fogey) and it saved me close to $200 on my 6-month premium with Geico. I hadn't had any recent violations, but I read that it could help lower your premiums. I did email Geico first to make sure the course would be honored by them and to find out how much I would save. The course was less than $20.

My only regret was not doing it sooner :P

Defensive driving IS a waste of time when you are electing to try to minimize a speeding ticket. The insurance company will see the violation on your record and surcharge accordingly based on their underwriting policies.

Defensive driving IS a worth while effort as I'm a big proponent for better driver training. In fact, I believe people need to go beyond the level of just a defensive driving class. People need to know how to handle a car on the edge of controlled handling. I doubt many people know what to do when your car is in a skid or when you need to trail brake your way out of a incident. Defensive driving doesn't teach these techniques. At a minimum, people should consider spending time at the various autocross events where you can learn how your car handles when pushed.

Edited by zx10 guy

aescutie,

My only regret was not doing it sooner :P

Defensive driving IS a waste of time when you are electing to try to minimize a speeding ticket. The insurance company will see the violation on your record and surcharge accordingly based on their underwriting policies.

Defensive driving IS a worth while effort as I'm a big proponent for better driver training. In fact, I believe people need to go beyond the level of just a defensive driving class. People need to know how to handle a car on the edge of controlled handling. I doubt many people know what to do when your car is in a skid or when you need to trail brake your way out of a incident. Defensive driving doesn't teach these techniques. At a minimum, people should consider spending time at the various autocross events where you can learn how your car handles when pushed.

So - I guess we're saying the same thing differently. In regards to minimizing the speeding ticket - I agree that dd is moot unless the ticket doesn't go on your MVR. From what I can tell, in my state, points have nothing to do with your insurance, but everything to do with the status of your license - i.e. suspended, revoked, etc.

However, if your premium does go up as a result of a ticket, there's a chance that taking dd can offset some of the financial damage caused. Just my two cents from experience.

So - I guess we're saying the same thing differently. In regards to minimizing the speeding ticket - I agree that dd is moot unless the ticket doesn't go on your MVR. From what I can tell, in my state, points have nothing to do with your insurance, but everything to do with the status of your license - i.e. suspended, revoked, etc.

However, if your premium does go up as a result of a ticket, there's a chance that taking dd can offset some of the financial damage caused. Just my two cents from experience.

That's an interesting thing you bring up about possibly minimizing any surcharges that result from a speeding ticket via taking a defensive driving class. I guess with that it really boils down to your insurance carrier. This would be the realm of Fallon or Marlie to answer. But I wouldn't be surprised if a defensive driving class would be ignored due to the speeding violation which puts you in an at risk category.

Yes, we're sort of saying the same thing. But my advice was focused on not having the ticket appear on your driver's record at all as if you can get this done, you won't have to worry about any of the mess with how to deal with the insurance company seeing the speeding violation.

Lol - it's funny but I was driving home tonight and they just finished repaving a major road today. I saw all that black top and thought of you and SLOWED DOWN! Thanks, because someone else got the ticket instead of me! :blush2::sorry:

Always glad to be of service :lol: I tell ya that new paved black top will get you every time.....

:D Always try the court. I have been good since I've come back. I hope it works out for you. aescutie your baby is so cute and getting BIG!!! Did I mention that's another thing in Egypt; they drive like maniacs over ther!! I almost had a heart attack! :swoon:

:D Thank you, Coco!!!

It also depends on your state. While a defensive driving course might not be worthwhile in MD, it can be very beneficial in FL. For instance, here in the Sunshine State, your insurance rates cannot go up and your policy cannot be cancelled because of the violation, unless it involved a crash where you were at fault. Points may not be added to your driver license record, adjudication of guilt is withheld, safe driver status is maintained if applicable, and the fine is reduced up to 18%.