Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Speeding ticket

The last post in this topic was posted 4751 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

My first one EVER!!!

$160 going 78-55 zone....

It's not my fault they decided to repave all the damn roads and they're nice and smooth. I knew I shoulda just stay my azz home. I decided to come to work late and sleep in a little bit more, drive all the way down 270 until I get close to my job, and I'm stopped :angry:

what to do, what to do....If I pay it, will I get points on my license, or should I just contest it?

Edited by aescutie

That sucks! About 2 months ago, I got 2 speeding tix within a week! Needless to say, I didn't get a bday gift from DH this month. In Arizona you can only go to defensive driving once every 2 years and since I went last year, I went ahead and just paid both tix.

If you can go to defensive driving, I would highly recommend that as you get no points on your DL (at least here in AZ).

I would take the driving course if at all possible. Ususally you get reduced court costs, no fine, and no points!

About a year or two ago I lived in KY and worked in IN. I was coming to work and just crossed the bridge and I got a freakin' ticket. I was able to go to IN driving school and it does not show on my DMV report since it is out of state. About a week later I was driving home from work and just crossed the bridge into KY and got stopped by a dang KY state trooper. He also gave me a ticket and I was able to go to KY driving school. It really sucked!

Now I use cruise control :blink: If you were actually speeding how can you contest it?

Edited by Lighthouse84

GO TO COURT.

They will give you options on keeping it off your record. Most states offer a defensive driving class that you can take in exchange for them dismissing the ticket.

I've only ever gotten one speeding ticket, I went to court (in a very very small town) and the judge gave everyone the option to plead not-guilty and have a trial, or "dismissed with court costs." I took the second options, payed court costs (which were about $75 less than the ticket's original fine!) and it's not anywhere on my record.

If you have a clean driving record.....PBJ is your friend in Maryland. PBJ is probation before judgement. Plead Guilty with explanation at your court trial. Then request for a PBJ. Also, it's good to have a copy of your driver's record with you. A PBJ is basically a one year probation sentence where the verdict is held up. The ticket does not show up on your normal driver's record. It's only in the court system database and I think the police can pull it up too. But your insurance company will not know about this. After the one year is up and provided you haven't received any other moving violations, the ticket just drops off like it never happened.

Asking for a defensive driving school or no points does zero in terms of insulating you from an insurance rate hike. You do not want any record of this speeding violation on your driver's record.

I am reading the back of the citation. I don't consider myself an salamander, but this thing says I am charged with a crime....I feel like a criminal now :cry2:

It also says a court date will automatically be mailed to me, as the box on the front of it states "You have a right to stand trial", as opposed to "you must appear for trial"...

I am so upset. I should have known better, because it's so late in the month and they have to meet their quota's.....damn.

If you have a clean driving record.....PBJ is your friend in Maryland. PBJ is probation before judgement. Plead Guilty with explanation at your court trial. Then request for a PBJ. Also, it's good to have a copy of your driver's record with you. A PBJ is basically a one year probation sentence where the verdict is held up. The ticket does not show up on your normal driver's record. It's only in the court system database and I think the police can pull it up too. But your insurance company will not know about this. After the one year is up and provided you haven't received any other moving violations, the ticket just drops off like it never happened.

Asking for a defensive driving school or no points does zero in terms of insulating you from an insurance rate hike. You do not want any record of this speeding violation on your driver's record.

I have heard this before. I think this will be my best option. Now, I have to request a copy of my driving record.

My insurance guy told me that if you ever get a ticket for anything you should contest it. At the very least you will get the fine reduced. At the most you get to plead to something else and have it erased.

This is the ONE and only time I would go to my buddy in the MSP office and try to get that favor :lol: but I would feel like a skuzz bucket, so that's out :cry2:

My first one EVER!!!

It's not my fault they decided to repave all the damn roads and they're nice and smooth. I knew I shoulda just stay my azz home. I decided to come to work late and sleep in a little bit more, drive all the way down 270 until I get close to my job, and I'm stopped :rofl:

what to do, what to do....If I pay it, will I get points on my license, or should I just contest it?

ya shoulda went to work last night when 270 only had 1 lane open in both direction and the alt route was rt 29 which also had 1 lane open....

:swoon::angry:

DH got a tkt in the mail from a speeding/red light camera in Baltimore..... it says no points will be accessed.... How can THAT be?

I'd fight it if I were you

My first one EVER!!!

It's not my fault they decided to repave all the damn roads and they're nice and smooth. I knew I shoulda just stay my azz home. I decided to come to work late and sleep in a little bit more, drive all the way down 270 until I get close to my job, and I'm stopped :rofl:

ya shoulda went to work last night when 270 only had 1 lane open in both direction and the alt route was rt 29 which also had 1 lane open....

:swoon::angry:

DH got a tkt in the mail from a speeding/red light camera in Baltimore..... it says no points will be accessed.... How can THAT be?

I'd fight it if I were you

all of the camera citations are like that, I guess because they can't be certain who was driving at the time, that's why they send to the registered owner.....

ETA: Most of my 270 drive is only two lanes anyway, so for the last month or so with all the paving going on, it was down to 1 :angry: And they wonder why people can't drive fast enough when they finally get open road!!!

Edited by aescutie

I got my first speeding ticket ever in November of last year. I couldn't believe it.

I was going (apparently) 39 in a 25 - IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD. Well, ok, so my car is a V6 and it's powerful enough, Dodge Intrepid. I didn't think there was any WAY I could have been going 39 where he grabbed me at. Later when I knew there were no cops around, I actually checked to see if it was even POSSIBLE for me to have gotten up to 39 after having made a slow turn off a roundabout on to the road the cop caught me on.

Hmm. Well I hit 40 mph only halfway to where he nagged me, so, um, yeah, maybe he was just being nice, because that day I was late taking my DD to school, when I tried to roll down my driver's side window (automatic of course) it was stuck and I had to open my door...it wasn't a good morning. Suddenly I realized, after every day since going exactly 25 on that road, not only how SLOW that is, but that it can be dangerous (other people climbing up my tush, if I had to slam on my brakes for a cat in the road, I'd get rear ended), and furthermore that my car doesn't really like to do 25...I think it gets bored, just coasting along without applying the gas. :mellow:

The part that really got me, though, is that the area I was speeding in, not only being my subdivision, is considered a "traffic calming zone" and has an ADDITIONAL $200 fine added to the cost of the ticket. Ok, it's posted. But the really unbelievable thing? One street over is also 25 mph, and it's a SCHOOL ZONE. If I was doing 39 in a 25 in the SCHOOL ZONE, I would not have paid an additional $200. That...just didn't seem right to me. In fact, DH didn't think that made sense either, it should be even WORSE in a school zone, IMO.

At least my insurance didn't go up, since I hadn't ever had a ticket before...and boya I won't have another one again, let me tell YOU! This was before Virginia's new fine system, but even then it was $369. Ow. My DD's school clothes and ALL her soccer gear in the past two weeks cost me only about 1/2 that. :lol:

I was so shocked and annoyed that day about being ticketed for speeding in my neighborhood that I had to go get a Clueless Lame Starbucks.

Edited by LadyKnR

I'll admit that I'm more petty about this than most of ya. I always take it to court if for no other reason than to make the cop waste his time going down to testify against me.

I'll admit that I'm more petty about this than most of ya. I always take it to court if for no other reason than to make the cop waste his time going down to testify against me.

they LOVE to go to court...its guaranteed OT

Maybe when the check comes, but if their body language means anything, they are usually quite annoyed when actually there.

It's not just them... if I'm gonna pay for upkeep of "the system", I want my money's worth.

My neighborhood has the same speed limit, and MSP is constantly patrolling that area - I have seem them pull the teenagers (high schoolers) over as soon as they drive out of their school parking lot flying down the road. They have 3 different schools on the main road, as well as a Fire dept., so I guess that has something to do with the speed limit. I have never disobeyed the speed limit there, simply because there are SO many children - and you never know when one may dart out in the street.

:P That's why I was given advice to re-schedule the first court date ;)

Haha. It sucks, I just went to court this past tuesday on a ticket.

62 in a 35. I WAS speeding. $270 ticket.

Court Magistrate: Yadi yadi ya. North Carolina license and car.......

Police Office: Violentb01 was lidar'd going 62 in a 35 yadi yadi ya.....

Me: Look, I'm not going to waste either of your time. I was speeding, the only reason why I am here is to contest that I was going 55 in the 35. My speedomter read 55, I'm not going to lie....

Court Magistrate: Okay, what I'm going to do for you is reduce it to $100. Do you accept?

Me: Yes ma'am. Thank you.

No points to my license since Massachusetts doesn't forward citations to outside states. Plus an extra $170 towards school books.

Honesty does help. Contest the ticket, the worst thing they can do is say no.

Most cities and states now have representives from the police department show up on the officer's behalf. You can contest that, but you will be taking it infront of a judge not a simple magistrate.

BTW, for the OP and all those else out there.

Driver License Compact

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Driver License Compact (DLC) is an interstate compact used by States of the United States to exchange information concerning license suspensions and traffic violations of non-residents and forward them to the state where they are licensed known as the home state. Its theme is One Driver, One License, One Record. The home state would treat the offense as if it had been committed at home, applying home state laws to the out-of-state offense. The action taken would include, but not be limited to, points assessed on a minor offense such as speeding and suspension of license for a major violation such as DWI/DUI.

Contents [hide]

1 Overview

2 History

3 States that are members

4 Exceptions

5 Special agreements

6 National Driver Register

[edit] Overview

Under the Driver License Compact, in order for a driver's state to penalize him/her for an out-of-state offense, the driver's state must have the equivalent statute. If the driver's state does not have the statute, no action can be taken. For example, the State of Indiana does not have a careless driving offense whereas Colorado does. If an Indiana licensed driver gets convicted of careless driving in Colorado, the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles takes no action.

[edit] History

The Driver License Compact came into existence with Nevada becoming the first member in 1960. Organizations in the Western States such as Governors came together to cooperate on traffic safety. Thanks to the Beemer Resolution passed by Congress in the late 1950s, states were automatically given permission to form compacts in the areas of traffic safety. Originally, the Driver License Compact dealt with dangerous driving violations such as drunk driving, reckless driving, commission of a felony involving a motor vehicle and others. Later on, minor violations were included as well. Quite a few states joined in the 1960s but it languished in the 1970s and part of the 1980s. In the late 1980s, there was a push by the AAMVA to get states to join and in the early to mid 1990s, quite a few states joined.

The Driver License Compact is no longer being pushed since it is being superseded by the new Driver License Agreement (DLA) which also replaces the Non-Resident Violator Compact. As planned by the AAMVA, when the Driver License Agreement is ratified by Driver License Compact members, it will be no longer relevant.

[edit] States that are members

All states are members except for Michigan, Wisconsin, Georgia, Tennessee (dropped out in 1997), Massachusetts and Wyoming

[edit] Exceptions

Some states do not assess points for minor offenses and apply the DLC for only major violations such as Colorado, Maryland, Nevada, New York and Pennsylvania

States that are members are free to take action on violations reported from a non-member states as well

Pennsylvania only transfers points from another state within the agreement if it meets certain conditions. See PENNDOT DLC Fact Sheet

[edit] Special agreements

New York does assess points for minor violations received in Ontario and Quebec.

Michigan and Ontario exchange information and take adverse action.

Maine and Quebec exchange information and take adverse action.

Florida and Quebec exchange information and take adverse action.

Also see: "http://www.aamva.org" American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators.

[edit] National Driver Register

Edited by Violentb01

I just got pulled over for doing 73 in a 55. My ticket was $210. I paid the court costs, and am doing defensive driving online now.

I was doing the speed the officer said I was; I just flat wasn't paying attention. The construction zones around my house all say, "Speed limit "whatever" when workers present" and "Traffic fines double". Well, the stretch of highway I was on was back in the town where I went to college, and the limit has always been 70. But it is under construction, and the signs say "Speed limit 55" and "Traffic fines double when workers present". No workers were present, so I was just cruising through. Expensive reading lesson for me.

Had to order my driving record for this ticket. It has a ticket I got in a different state 14 years ago. <_< Otherwise, it's clear.

I just mailed my plea into the court, and they sent back a packet of things I need to fill out and return and a list of court approved defensive driving courses.

If you decide to go this route, maybe the court will have a list of approved places for you too.

I have to go to court tomorrow morning for one I got last month <_<

Always go to court. This is my 2nd NC ticket and I'll have to do the driver's class this time (last time I just got it PBJ'd because I showed up ready for court like I would've done in MD) but I had several in MD and got them PBJ'd every time. It doesn't really cost you anything more (except for time off work and the stress of being in court) but your chances of getting it just "swept under the rug if I pay a little grease money" (aka court costs) are a lot better than trying to pay the cop to be one less citation away from hitting his quota for the month on the side of the road.

Lol - it's funny but I was driving home tonight and they just finished repaving a major road today. I saw all that black top and thought of you and SLOWED DOWN! Thanks, because someone else got the ticket instead of me! <_<:cry2:

Lol - it's funny but I was driving home tonight and they just finished repaving a major road today. I saw all that black top and thought of you and SLOWED DOWN! Thanks, because someone else got the ticket instead of me! :P:lol:

Always glad to be of service :lol: I tell ya that new paved black top will get you every time.....

The last post in this topic was posted 4751 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.