Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Military deployment and credit

The last post in this topic was posted 3128 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I just separated from Active Duty after 9 years. I was deployed at least once a year between 4-6 months after 9-11. Internet is very questionable at overseas locations (AOR). Think about a hurricane coming into the state of Florida, who has power who doesn't? That's how the AOR is, so I can honestly say the internet, and electricity was at least out once a day and this last trip we were without internet for two months due to a major powerline problem.

I came in the military at 19 years old, and immature and ignorant to the "real world" as they get. Back then, in 2000 if a creditor found out you were military it was very easy to get credit and also very easy to abuse it. By 2003 I had creditors threatening me and calling me all the time at home and at work. I was fortunate enough to take care of these problems but for some uneducated people it could mean their career.

I think it's an education thing for military members. Usually you have to look at the demographics of the military members. You have people usually who can't afford school, or are unsure of what they want to do, so they join the military. Many new recruits are in a financial crunch so they enlist to get steady pay and health benefits.

www.militaryonesource.com is free and is detached from base....meaning it's confidential. For people who need budgeting help or credit advice or even debt problems can utilize this web site and they will hook you up with a certified counselor. I will say it's more of a budget thing and/or emergency relief of debt. I strongly believe this website is the best resource for "fixes" though.

If this is the case, you are getting screwed. If you are married, they do not take BAS back out of your LES. Your husband need to conact his S-1 and get it revised. Only single soldier living in the barracks have Meal Deductions taken out.

You are incorrect. As mentioned upthread, BAS is paid for the SERVICEMEMBERS meals. When on a ship, or deployed overseas, the service member has messing available (galley on the ship, etc...) Marital status is not considered.

I remember the biggest thing when I was in Japan was phone cards...almost every phone company and their brother was on base, running huge base fairs, giving away free t-shirts, whatever they could to get you to buy their phone cards. But then again, it didn't really matter much where you were...the bases were pretty much economic nuclei for the commercial shantytowns that sprung up around them...all geared at sellling something to the less than worldly E-1 to E-3's. At most training bases you weren't allowed to have a vehicle on base until you were an E-4, and so you had to limit your shopping to walking distance from your barracks, or if you were lucky, to wherever the base shuttle would take you. Almost all of these businesses in this radius either charged inflated prices for their items, or had specific contracts(in the case of the large chains)to be there. As a Marine, whenever you got deployed, you were almost always deployed to the field, to sleep in shelter halfs, or if lucky, tents. No electricity, much less internet or phone with which to pay bills.

I remember also in Okinawa that there was a lot of protest from the populace about the existence of bases there, but at the same time, whenever we went out and drank with the people there, who often got paid in cash by larger Japanese companies to picket the bases, we were told that without the bases for income, and of course, ordnance removal after the Battle of Okinawa, most of the people on the island would probably not have survived after world war 2, and that the island economy would have collapsed as a result...

I saw the same situation when I was stationed in places such as Millington, Tennessee, a mississippi river town just north of memphis by twenty miles, and also in Havelock, North Carolina, a sleepy little borough that wrapped around MCAS Cherry Point...

In Millington, I got the local history from a cab driver, who occupied what he claimed to be one of Millington's two primary professions(I'm sure you can guess the other one, as it is the world's oldest profession). Without the base, he stated, no money would ever have even thought of coming to that area, and the literal transport of herds of Marines, Sailors, and the few Airmen that occupied the base into the bustling city of Memphis occupied the majority of the income for the area.

In Havelock it was much the same story, only in this case, it was a row of barber shops, full of expectant barbers, all trained to expertly whip out that high and tight that us Marines so loved to get, and to offer the extra service of a straight razor shave to go with it...(In Japan they threw in a little shoulder massage at the end of it all, which was always a nice bonus)

Actually, from reflecting on this, I would say that the most lucrative business around any Marine base would actually be a barber shop...but the point of what I am saying is that the military, and especially the junior enlisted men, have been the target of more scams, targeted marketing, and as a result of both of these, credit problems, than any other class of people in our society...

I am putting together some notes and stories for Denise's non-profit work about the credit issues faced because of deployment.

First, I need stories - the horror stories, resolved and unresolved of current or recent deployed military. We want to shed some loght on this issue and possibly bring some pressure to bear on the problem. We're not asking you to while and cry, but we need real life human interest stories about what happens and the effect of this on your morale and your lives. We here know this is one area where our military make a sacrifice that most people know nothing about.

Second, I need a list of resources you may have found - organizations, Military recources, VA help, as well as tips and tricks you might have learned from experience.

Denise will use a lot of these (I'm assuming we'll get a lot) and I will put together something for publication in general, later.

You can be anonymous - we won't be asking for your real name for this one. If you need changes to your ID here in order to post the full story, let me know.

You can post in this thread or email to admin at creditboards dot com, with military project in the subject line.

Keep this one bumped too!

BUMPING!

This project is still going strong. Keep the stories coming, folks.

Denise and I are working on a radio spot coming in the near future to address military consumer issues. We would both be grateful if anyone would be interested in joining as a guest on the show to tell your story, or if you feel more comfortable just asking us to pass along your story anonymously...we can do that too.

Date and time will be announced in the near future. We'd like to see what kind of response we get so the platform of the show can be planned in advance.

Thanks again!

Edited by DragonFlyer

This is great! I am so glad you have the time to work on this! Thank you!!

LOL I find time. I don't have it, so I make up for it. LOLOL

The fact is...it's a VERY important topic. I feel strongly that paying it forward is a good thing. I know CB has been an amazing resource for me and my family. It's the least I could do is contribute where I can.

July 2008

Experian-476-21 BADDIES :angry:

Equifax-501-21 BADDIES

Transunion-?-20 baddies

April 2009

Experian-476 20 BADDIES

Equifax-?-5 BADDIES

Tansunion-? 4 BADDIES

I joined CB in July 2008. After returning home from Deployment and finding out that I was a victim of ID Theft. As you can see I have had great success with Transunion, and Equifax. Experian sucks! I can say that I truly HATE THEM. They have been my hardest CR to clean up. I am not giving up though. I have no time to sit back and try to figure out who did this and why? All of my energy is spent correcting someone elses evil deed and making sure it never happends to me again. MY Transunion, and Equifax was just updated on the 23rd of April. I have no idea what my Fico score is but I had a total of 15 Baddies removed as well as 9 Inquiries removed from each report. It is not always the fault of the Soldier. We are prayed on by people who know we are Serving our Country and Don't give a D about us. We as young Soldiers do make mistakes but this time, this was the doing of an evil person who set out to ruin me financially.

Pink, that's awful. I am so sorry this happened to you.

Do you know who the culprit is that did this? Did you file a police report or take any legal action?

Sadly, I know many service members who have had their ID stolen as they lay in a hospital bed recovering from combat wounds. You may know of Annette and Dell McLeod, who testified beside my husband at a Congressional hearing. Dell had his identity stolen by someone who befriended the McLeods.

I find it disgusting that anyone would do it in the first place, but especially egregious when it happens to those who step in the line of duty to serve their country.

Would you like to share your story on the show on how you discovered this problem and what steps you took to try to resolve it? And, what tools you wished were in place to help deal with the problem or prevent it in the first place? How has this affected you financially?

Thanks again for sharing your experience. I am just sad you had to deal with it in the first place.

Thank you DrangonFlyer for your reply, and concern. I actually found out about the ID Theft when I opened my Clothing boutique and tried to get a small Business loan. I was turned down flat of course. Thats when I decided to get copies of my CR's. I knew I had small medical bills that I was fighting the military to pay for but, I never knew I had a Mortgage, several vehicles, utilities in my name at addresses I never heard of. On my experian report there were 24 different addressess, 14 variations of my name, and the wrong DOB. I was taking advantage by a Family member. I filled a Police Report, got fraud alert on all 3 CB. But, now I am stuck cleaning up all of this mess. As you can see I have made great progress with Equifax, and Transunion. Experian is the hardest. I will not give up until my credit is restored. unfortunately for me, My Boutique is suffering because I have used all of my savings but, am currently in need of a Small business loan. no one will is willing to work with me right now. My lesson in all of this is check, recheck, your credit on a regular basis. I failed to do that and this is what I have to deal with. I would be more then happy to tell my story. Thanks again for the concern.

Hi Pink!

I tried to PM you but you don't have them turned on. I had a few questions for you because I think I can find some assistance while you work on those credit issues. I'd love to have you join us to tell your story in an upcoming show. Of course, you won't be giving your name...just sharing what happened and how it has negatively affected you. In the meantime (and even if you don't feel comfortable sharing the entire story) I'd love to find ways to help you get this resolved.

Thanks!

Hi Pink!

I tried to PM you but you don't have them turned on. I had a few questions for you because I think I can find some assistance while you work on those credit issues. I'd love to have you join us to tell your story in an upcoming show. Of course, you won't be giving your name...just sharing what happened and how it has negatively affected you. In the meantime (and even if you don't feel comfortable sharing the entire story) I'd love to find ways to help you get this resolved.

Thanks!

You can PM her now.

Recieved my Dispute Investigation back from Experion today (OH HOW I HATE THEM) :angry: They deleted six items but it seems as though they have added more.

EXPERIAN-17 NEGATIVES

EQUIFAX-5 NEGATIVES

TRANSUNION-4 NEGATIVES

Still have not checked my scores. Tried applying for a Target, as well as Kay Jewelers since I was told they pull from Equifax. I was turned down. In need of positive tradelines like yesterday.

Here's a real quick one that is not too bad. Chase will reduce deployed servicemembers interest rates to 6% under the SCRA as long as they receive a faxed copy of your deployment orders. Sounds great right?

Maybe not....

1) Balance Transfers are not allowed during the deployment timeframe.

2) Chase DOES NOT update to the CRA's while the servicemembers account is under the SCRA. I have gone back and forth with Chase almost every single month because they do not update. Paid a card down from 6k to 0 and I have had to send them a number of emails asking them to update. This has been going on for 2 years (dh was deployed, came home for a short period of time and then deployed again). Another issue is that when a servicemember returns from a combat zone, Chase is not updating until the SCRA status is removed from the account, so many servicemembers are applying for car loans, mortgages other forms of credit immediately when they come home (many times they will be debt free because they were deployed and not spending any money) and they are turned down because Chase hasn't updated. Example - Soldier goes to Iraq w/ 100% utilization on Chase card. While in Iraq, they pay the card off. When they come home, it still reports as being maxed out and they have no idea why they are denied that loan until they are told by the creditor (if they are so lucky to be told in the 1st place).

3) CLI's are put on hold while under the SCRA.

In the last 6 months I have got Chase to update my MC that I opened after I joined. I would ask them to update for the current month and they would but not again until I asked them. My Visa card doesnt even report.

I dont know about CLIs as I wont ask for one for another year. I was able to open the VISA and transfer funds from my MC to my VIsa though.

Bumping for any more information. I am in the processing of joining the National Guard, with a tech school that will have me on active duty status for almost two years (linguist 35P) and ALL of your thoughts and opinions have been invaluable as I try to get my credit and finances in order.

Question 1:

Does anyone have experience with SLRP? There is a ton of information available on the web however, I had specific questions about payments. I understand that you need to keep making minimum payments so that your loan stays current, however, would you recommend getting the loans defered while on active duty status AND continuing to make the minimum payments. If the loans are in deferment will the SLRP still make the annual payment? Also, how hard is it to get they annual payment processed? Do I need to call the lenders and get copies of the loan agreement sent to me to take with me?

Any other tips and advice are ALWAYS welcomed.

Being the single guy I was when I was over in the sandbox or any other far off place I went too, I didn't have many bills and the ones I did I just setup monthly allotments and web bill pay. Didn't have any problems financially until I was injured and then they medically retired me.

As mentioned before, there are plenty of resouces for vet's namely Navy/Marines through Navy Relief if active duty, if not on active duty, any service has the VA can help(lol yeah right they are still hassling me with my rating).....

DAV, VFW to name a coupe more.

I probly didn't help much but troops are in my thoughts and prayers...:D

Bumping for any more information. I am in the processing of joining the National Guard, with a tech school that will have me on active duty status for almost two years (linguist 35P) and ALL of your thoughts and opinions have been invaluable as I try to get my credit and finances in order.

Question 1:

Does anyone have experience with SLRP? There is a ton of information available on the web however, I had specific questions about payments. I understand that you need to keep making minimum payments so that your loan stays current, however, would you recommend getting the loans defered while on active duty status AND continuing to make the minimum payments. If the loans are in deferment will the SLRP still make the annual payment? Also, how hard is it to get they annual payment processed? Do I need to call the lenders and get copies of the loan agreement sent to me to take with me?

Any other tips and advice are ALWAYS welcomed.

First, congrats! I always wanted to go to the linguist school in Monterey. Is that where you'll be? (if you don't mind me asking)

I have good news and bad news. First, the bad news. The SLRP program is full of "bugs" still yet to be resolved. I would get copies of ANYTHING related to the SLRP program. People are having trouble with the proper processing of the benefit. You can read more on another board I belong to...I just wanted to let you know it's not streamlined yet. PM me if you need a link. Just be aware in case you run into problems later...and document everything!

Now, for the good news!

While active duty, you can get a 3-year active duty deferment on federal student loans.

http://ifap.ed.gov/dpcletters/attachments/...chMilDefReq.pdf

I will post the information in the Military Forum as well.

Thanks!

The biggest hangup I have had so far is with employment history. After my deployment my full time job was gone. I have since found something better and in the state my wife is from so I went for it. Now I have "only" two months of history with my current employer. I really dislike how many creditors don't realize I have had steady employment since 1999. Starting with the regular army and even now in the national guard.

My wife and I have recently started new jobs now and have a household income of 150k a year. I guess I will have to get two things fixed on my reports and a whole bunch fixed on hers.

In short, if a troop (and their spouse if they have one) practice money management skills at all times and set up a web bill pay prior to deploying, 99.9% of all problems will be avoided.

The ones who are saying that a member deploys and leaves no money behind for the spouse. That's a money management issue, aka the members fault. A troop makes more money being deployed vs. staying at the base.

This might be true in your case but not all troops make more money while being deployed. Some troops have a better paying job prior to deployment rather than durring deployment. With higher income they develop a higher standard of life; car loan, morgage payment, foster home for kids, development programs and activities to better the growth of their children and keep them active in the community etc...

Some of these added bills can be cut back while others can not. To make matters worse your job is not always there when you come back, regardless of what the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act states. Try working for the city government, deploying as a National Guardsman, and returning home to find your job along with everyone elses in the departments was eliminated due to budget cuts. If you are a combat soldier in Iraq the last thing on your mind is building your resume.

So when you do return home with no job, a morgage payment, car loan, 9 kids, and a million other bills plus the stress of trying to get back in the game (with a "state side" mindset) you take what options are available to you. Major "Joeseph Smucketelly" finds you a full time guard position and you commute making less money than what you need to make ends meet. At this point your savings isn't dwindelling but rather your debt is building all the while you are still looking for a decent paying job.

Almost twelve months later your unit is up for deployment again when you just so happen to meet the right guy who can "set you up" with a civillian security company who wants to send you back to Iraq, lucky break at "a hundred-K" a year. Without that, who knows where my brother would be...

Granted it is the soldiers choice to serve, but this hardly makes the circumstances of his service his fault. While the service is made up of relatively young people some of whom make really doumb financial choices, we should not classify all or even the majority of soldiers into this category. While 99.9% of the cases you have seen may have been avoided by signing up for a web bill pay and using basic money management services, I am guessing that you have either not served long, had the misfortune of serving with a lot of young or immature troops, or like most people remember the dramatic and preventable more so than the unfortunate and unforseeable.

"Our lives are often like our bodies. That is the pain we see and feel is easier to remember than the joys in our lives due the the scars we inherrit as a constant reminder."

~Me~

I am a repeat deployer having served in multiple said "combat zones" since 1999 and having served longer than that. I am also a 80% dissabled veteran who on my last deployment had an amazing ammount of notice before hand. I placed a stop on my VA dissability payments three months before entering active duty and cut off all unecessary utilities at the same time (cabe, phone, internet...)

After deploying to Iraq this last time in 2005 I received a phone call from my POA (mom) stating that the VA was requesting repayment for a government overpayment that was not suppose to be deposited into my account. No problem I told the POA to verify the deposit and make repayment if necessary. To make matters worse my phone company had sent me a bill for final payment, a check reimbursing over payment, another bill for a different ammount requested for final payment, and another reimbursement check during this same period.

Frankly, while I was clearing I.E.D.'s in Iraq playing these little games was the last thing on my mind. With this situation with the phone bill I asked my P.O.A. to contact the phone company find out what was going on and send payment with a certified money order.

In both situations my P.O.A. (mom) was told basically not to worry abbout it that the charges were in error (what are the chances?).

Here four years later I pull my own credit report in hopes of fixing my credit from my first deployment (after leaving my now ex-wife as POA - legal disclaimer I was 18 yrs old) they are still reporting and the Department of Veteran Affairs quit reporting after its initial report to the CRA's.

Well my credit is totally hosed from way back when anyway so I rellay do not care about these two minor debts as much as everything else but it just pisses me off that they said its all A.O.K. nothing more, report it to the CRA's and make no attempt to collect from me or my POA after last contact :rolleyes: (Major Frown)

In 2007, my DH was deployed to Iraq for a year. He left in Jan '07 and didnt return until the end of the year. Anyway, when he left, we were not married- not even engaged (he wouldn't propose to me until we survived his deployment). So, as a result, he left his dad as his POA. This was not a smart move on his part, as his dad can't manage his own bills let alone dealing with my husband's issues. Anyway, in December 06 before he deployed, he got a Best Buy CC as he was trying to rebuild his credit (which was through HSBC). He charged like $600 on it in December '06. Then in Jan '07, before he left the country, he paid off the entire balance on the card (and even called them to confirm that he had a $0 balance). When he came back to the states and tried to use the card again, he was told that the account had been closed and sent to collections. Turns out that while he was out of the country, HSBC charged him what we think is a late fee of $35.00. I am not sure where they sent this bill for $35.00 as his dad was receiving his mail in Louisiana, and he had just moved in with me but his mail should have been forwarded from his old address (both of which are in Texas). Needless to say, I never saw this bill and neither did his dad. When he found out about this charge, he contacted HSBC and he paid the $35.00 immediately. He asked Best Buy to allow him to reopen the account and they declined. He asked them to at least remove the negative from his CR and they declined. They have done nothing to help him even though there was no way in hell that he could have known about this charge and even if I had seen it (and I would have paid it), it wasn't my responsibility and I know they didn't send the bill to his dad's address in Louisiana because he never gave HSBC that address. Anyway, I have tried to contact them and they won't speak to me (even with him on the line which I think is BS) and now he has this one lone collection account on his CR that won't fall off until 2014. I think its ridiculous that while he was defending his country these bastards are going to ruin his credit and nail him for $35.00. He came back with an injury and we are now fighting with the VA over his disability status - but that's another matter altogether.

The laws that have been put in place to protect our military members and their families do not have enough teeth. Its one thing to say its a law; it another thing to get the creditors to actually follow that law.

When you turn to the military for help in making sure the law is followed (I.E. JAG) they can't help as its outside their jurisdiction. Its a no win scenario.

www.militaryonesource.com is free and is detached from base....meaning it's confidential. For people who need budgeting help or credit advice or even debt problems can utilize this web site and they will hook you up with a certified counselor. I will say it's more of a budget thing and/or emergency relief of debt. I strongly believe this website is the best resource for "fixes" though.

Militaryonesource.com is decent, but it's more like a directory (from what I've seen and experienced). You call up with an issue, they give you a # to call or a contact of a company or person that can help you with your issue. Kind of like a switchboard...

If this is the case, you are getting screwed. If you are married, they do not take BAS back out of your LES. Your husband need to conact his S-1 and get it revised. Only single soldier living in the barracks have Meal Deductions taken out.

You are incorrect. As mentioned upthread, BAS is paid for the SERVICEMEMBERS meals. When on a ship, or deployed overseas, the service member has messing available (galley on the ship, etc...) Marital status is not considered.

I'm staring at my LES right now, I'm deployed and get BAS (Subsistence allowance). I'm married, and anyone over here that is married is also getting BAS. I know my Soldiers are for sure. When I deployed the 1st time I also got it.

Pink, that's awful. I am so sorry this happened to you.

Do you know who the culprit is that did this? Did you file a police report or take any legal action?

Sadly, I know many service members who have had their ID stolen as they lay in a hospital bed recovering from combat wounds. You may know of Annette and Dell McLeod, who testified beside my husband at a Congressional hearing. Dell had his identity stolen by someone who befriended the McLeods.

I find it disgusting that anyone would do it in the first place, but especially egregious when it happens to those who step in the line of duty to serve their country.

Would you like to share your story on the show on how you discovered this problem and what steps you took to try to resolve it? And, what tools you wished were in place to help deal with the problem or prevent it in the first place? How has this affected you financially?

Thanks again for sharing your experience. I am just sad you had to deal with it in the first place.

I had my ID stolen when I was stationed in Germany. Someone used my Identity to open up phone accounts and use false addresses with Verizon and another company in California. I had proof I was in Europe and there was no possible way it could have been me. I filed disputes, police reports, hounded the credit agencies...all to no avail. The collection agencies didn't care, all they wanted was their money. I guess in their case, everyone has a story...lol

This was about 10 years ago. It took a few years to get it resolved, I finally looked up the Verizon website in Cali and starting guessing what the email addresses were for the people listed as senior management. I got an email back from a Senior VP and they finally cleared it up. Still took another year or so for my credit to start recovering. It was a major hassle.

I now use the USAA credit monitoring services for like $5 a month.

I have a story about the SCRA and a repossession...

I went to Basic Training in March 2007 and had set up arrangements with Lender X to make a payment that would bring me up to day on the loan (I was at least 90 days on the loan) and to make automatic payments every month coming from my checking account. In the past, every time I called Lender X and gave my social to verify who I was, they couldn't find me. It turned out someone had misread a 4 as a 9 in my SSN on the credit application. Multiple attempts to correct it led to them telling me it had been changed. When I left for Basic, I sent them copies of my orders and informed them of the SCRA's provision for lowering interest rates, and protections against repossession. I called the lender and the confirmed all was good, so I left thinking all was good.

Several weeks later I called home and was told that my car had been repossessed! When I called Lender X to find out what was going on they told me I hadn't made payments and that their attempts to verify my military service showed I wasn't in the military. They had continued to use the incorrect SSN they hadn't in fact changed, not the one on the credit application, my orders, the one I called in with, or the copy of my SSN Card that I faxed in. Over the next four months they continued to call me once I had a phone and eventually auctioned off the car and sent the remaining balance after the sale to collections.

I wasn't able to do much at the time, but when I got home from training in October, I mailed my DD 2214 and a letter stating the facts and remedies I wished to have to resolve the issue without litigation. They called the day after getting my letter I got a call from Lender X's senior counsel informally agreeing to all that I requested and telling me it just needed to be written up into a contract. Once we both agreed upon the terms of the release and settlement, it was solved.

In the end I had them return all payments I made for the car, remove the repossession from my credit report, pay for personal items in the car when it was taken, and a small fee for my time in dealing with the whole mess.

I also won a USERRA case after returning from Iraq, but I don't think that's very relevant to this forum.

Hope that helps someone!

The last post in this topic was posted 3128 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.