Sign in to follow this  
breeze

Military deployment and credit

In short, if a troop (and their spouse if they have one) practice money management skills at all times and set up a web bill pay prior to deploying, 99.9% of all problems will be avoided.

The ones who are saying that a member deploys and leaves no money behind for the spouse. That's a money management issue, aka the members fault. A troop makes more money being deployed vs. staying at the base. #1, every married member gets approx $280/mo BAS (food allowance). When not deployed, the troop will have to eat therefore uses money to pay for it. When you're deployed you get free food and still get paid that $280 BAS. You can also get tax free hostel fire pay, $225/mo. Lastly, when you return, you get tax free $250/mo for family separation. Lastly when deployed you get taxes taken out of your pay. ONce you arrive back at your base, you get a tax credit to equal "tax free".

We have a horrible pay system, DJMS. It's DOS based, everything is in arbitruary codes. DJMS piggybacks off of the personal computer system. Sometimes there's an error in the piggybacking. Eg, someone gets promoted, our DJMS isn't reading the new promotion. We're all going to have a new milpay system, therefore they won't spend another dime on improving DJMS. One last thing, we PAY GROSS and take back NET. That's a really bad thing IMO.

Have you ever LOOKED at an LES??? Yes they give us $250 BAS BUT they take out $230 WHETHER OR NOT my husband is deployed. That leaves only an extra $20 a month for food, not much (and payments for dental eat that up anyways). We dont see a dime of the BAH and we spend WAY more on uniforms a year then we get in stipend from them (roughly double of what they give). And they only give you seperation pay IF you have been seperated for more than 60 consecutive days. You get that but it takes them forever to get it to you, so it is not something you can count on as you never know when it will start or end. They will usually bring them back in on the 59th day to avoid paying it or send them out and bring them back in all the time. I have only spent 65 days with my husband this year and not consecutively, the rest he has been gone. We have not seen a penny of seperation pay this year. You do NOT get a tax credit after you come back from deployment (unless Iraq deploys have different rules) and navy doesn't get hostel fire pay no matter where they go. I have never seen any extra pay from the navy that they didnt give grudgingly. It took them nearly a year to give us BAH after we were married and they never back payed us either. When my husband made second class, it took them 6 months to pay him the extra 200 a month and he was never back payed to the day he got promoted either. there are too many rules and red tape for them to do anything.

99.9% of all problems are not avoided by simple money management. You need to have a POA for a lot and most companies will not accept a general. Companies such as KAY's Jewelers require a specific POA for me to even talk to them about my husband's account. I had to find that out the hard way. It is sooo frustrating when you are the one dealing with it and you can not get anything done. And Navy federal, as wonderful as they are, have to see the POA everytime I try to do something in his name even though I am joint on the account. They will not make a copy of it and keep it on file. I have to go into a branch and literally show them the copy for them to discuss certain things. We keep seperate credit accounts and I can not talk to the companies without faxing them the POA, talking to legal, and figuring out what companies require a specific POA. It is a PITA.

The only time we have had money issues on deployment has been when I pay the bills and my husband would look at our account and pull out whatever he wanted without knowing what bills I paid. So we had overdraft fees and all kinds of issues because HE spent the money while I was paying the bills. I am sure he told them it was all MY fault. That ended quickly because I put him on an allowance only giveing him so much allottment every month out of his paycheck. After he spent his money he had to call me and ask if there was enough in the account. This worked out better and never once have I had to turn him down for money. It really is more about the communication than the spending of the money. Once we worked out our goals and issues we began to grow more responsible financially.

Web Bill pay is the best thing in the world! We have not missed a payment since we started using it. The Legal services office is really helpful when doing the credit repair stuff and NMCRS was so helpful with the layette profram and budgeting/financial help. Sometimes the FFSC is helpful also.

Thanks for the post, it brought some very interesting info about the navy I wasn't aware of. One thing you got me thinking is your DH was "deployed" on a ship out to sea and not a hostile war environment, correct? Perhaps the sea duty deployment rules are different or the entire navy rules are different.

In the AF...

31st day entitles a member to Family Separation Pay and gets tax free pay paid once the member returns from deployment.

If married, there is no meal deduction.

Also you pointed out that if you have an account that a spouse is going to need access to, unsure that steps are taken to give the other spouse full access. If you simply have an account like Kay where one bought a ring and do not plan on making additional purchases with, billpay is the solution.

QUOTE(Bacardi @ Jul 31 2007, 05:07 PM) *

I am air force and work in the finance office...I hate to say this, but MOST horror stories are ultimately the troops fault...The menality whether they're told or just assume is that they'll have plenty of time to use a computer or phone to make payments to their lenders. Missed payments equal fees, those fees can even trigger over the limit fees, then they come back to realized they owe $700 in fees alone. They don't pay on spite and it goes to collection. Other pretty common one is a troop leaves his wife behind to pay the bills, she spends instead of pays.

I really don't want to turn this into a debate, however your last comment is VERY misleading for many reasons:

1) First and Foremost: I have worked in military family advocacy and it is not pretty common for a troop to leave his wife behind to pay the bills and she spends the money instead of pays. I could very easily make the comment that I dealt with a number of cases where the servicemember took out CASH advances from the finance 'cage' while deployed and when the check was direct deposited, there was very little money left for the spouse to pay bills/care for children.

2) If a servicemember is having financial difficulties and is counseled by the command group/finance, he OR she does not want to be reprimanded and can and will tell finance/command group that the spouse overspent when in reality the financial difficulties were there well before any deployment.

3) Soldiers have been known to leave spouses behind with NO money to pay bills, leaving the spouse in a position where he or she has to apply for loans, grants, and public assistance.

You've obviously never worked on LeJuene. Unfaithful wives and empty bank accounts are the number one sob story.

I still see that as being the troops fault. Whether the girl forced him into a shotgun wedding or they were soulmates and girl changed her mind after non seeing her man for 12 monthes, they knew what they were getting into. You don't join the military during wartime and complain about going to war.

I've decided I won't read or post in this thread anymore, I have a different view that no one seems to care for.

In short, if a troop (and their spouse if they have one) practice money management skills at all times and set up a web bill pay prior to deploying, 99.9% of all problems will be avoided.

The ones who are saying that a member deploys and leaves no money behind for the spouse. That's a money management issue, aka the members fault. A troop makes more money being deployed vs. staying at the base. #1, every married member gets approx $280/mo BAS (food allowance). When not deployed, the troop will have to eat therefore uses money to pay for it. When you're deployed you get free food and still get paid that $280 BAS. You can also get tax free hostel fire pay, $225/mo. Lastly, when you return, you get tax free $250/mo for family separation. Lastly when deployed you get taxes taken out of your pay. ONce you arrive back at your base, you get a tax credit to equal "tax free".

We have a horrible pay system, DJMS. It's DOS based, everything is in arbitruary codes. DJMS piggybacks off of the personal computer system. Sometimes there's an error in the piggybacking. Eg, someone gets promoted, our DJMS isn't reading the new promotion. We're all going to have a new milpay system, therefore they won't spend another dime on improving DJMS. One last thing, we PAY GROSS and take back NET. That's a really bad thing IMO.

Have you ever LOOKED at an LES??? Yes they give us $250 BAS BUT they take out $230 WHETHER OR NOT my husband is deployed. That leaves only an extra $20 a month for food, not much (and payments for dental eat that up anyways). We dont see a dime of the BAH and we spend WAY more on uniforms a year then we get in stipend from them (roughly double of what they give). And they only give you seperation pay IF you have been seperated for more than 60 consecutive days. You get that but it takes them forever to get it to you, so it is not something you can count on as you never know when it will start or end. They will usually bring them back in on the 59th day to avoid paying it or send them out and bring them back in all the time. I have only spent 65 days with my husband this year and not consecutively, the rest he has been gone. We have not seen a penny of seperation pay this year. You do NOT get a tax credit after you come back from deployment (unless Iraq deploys have different rules) and navy doesn't get hostel fire pay no matter where they go. I have never seen any extra pay from the navy that they didnt give grudgingly. It took them nearly a year to give us BAH after we were married and they never back payed us either. When my husband made second class, it took them 6 months to pay him the extra 200 a month and he was never back payed to the day he got promoted either. there are too many rules and red tape for them to do anything.

99.9% of all problems are not avoided by simple money management. You need to have a POA for a lot and most companies will not accept a general. Companies such as KAY's Jewelers require a specific POA for me to even talk to them about my husband's account. I had to find that out the hard way. It is sooo frustrating when you are the one dealing with it and you can not get anything done. And Navy federal, as wonderful as they are, have to see the POA everytime I try to do something in his name even though I am joint on the account. They will not make a copy of it and keep it on file. I have to go into a branch and literally show them the copy for them to discuss certain things. We keep seperate credit accounts and I can not talk to the companies without faxing them the POA, talking to legal, and figuring out what companies require a specific POA. It is a PITA.

The only time we have had money issues on deployment has been when I pay the bills and my husband would look at our account and pull out whatever he wanted without knowing what bills I paid. So we had overdraft fees and all kinds of issues because HE spent the money while I was paying the bills. I am sure he told them it was all MY fault. That ended quickly because I put him on an allowance only giveing him so much allottment every month out of his paycheck. After he spent his money he had to call me and ask if there was enough in the account. This worked out better and never once have I had to turn him down for money. It really is more about the communication than the spending of the money. Once we worked out our goals and issues we began to grow more responsible financially.

Web Bill pay is the best thing in the world! We have not missed a payment since we started using it. The Legal services office is really helpful when doing the credit repair stuff and NMCRS was so helpful with the layette profram and budgeting/financial help. Sometimes the FFSC is helpful also.

Thanks for the post, it brought some very interesting info about the navy I wasn't aware of. One thing you got me thinking is your DH was "deployed" on a ship out to sea and not a hostile war environment, correct? Perhaps the sea duty deployment rules are different or the entire navy rules are different.

In the AF...

31st day entitles a member to Family Separation Pay and gets tax free pay paid once the member returns from deployment.

If married, there is no meal deduction.

Also you pointed out that if you have an account that a spouse is going to need access to, unsure that steps are taken to give the other spouse full access. If you simply have an account like Kay where one bought a ring and do not plan on making additional purchases with, billpay is the solution.

You are waaaaayyyy over simplifiying the issue here. Bill pay does not take care of all of the problems. case in point: Kay's bill for us is usually $100, we do have it set up on bill pay and pay same amount every month. However, Kays, for some reason, screwed up and said that one month was $200 (even though the statement had said to pay the usual amount the next statement had said that payment for previos month was $200 obviously an error on their part), $100 payment was sent, we were charged a late fee for not paying the "whole balance". They would not TALK (discuss the statements or anything) to me about the account without a SPECIFIC poa for that account. I had only general at the time and I had to go through a lot (2 months of work and calls) to get it straightened out (DH had to call them from SPAIN to get them to talk to me.) So just because you have a poa and web bill pay does not mean that you are free of problems. There is a lot that goes into running the family and business when ones spouse goes on deployment. And what do you do if you are having financial issues?? You wont be able to talk to anyone about the accounts.

When DH is "officially deployed" (meaning the 6 month deployment) we get no special pay or incentive other than separation pay but like I said before, never count on it in budget because you never know when they will or will not pay it. He has not been to Iraq but he is involved in other dangerous areas. we do not get any special pay as far as I know. His ship has been all over the world this year and STILL has to go on the "official depployment" of at least 6 months soon. His sea pay did just go up but that pay depends on how long you have been attached to a ship, you lose it once you go on "shore duty".

I believe the BAS deduction is due to the fact that he still eats 2 meals a day on ship. But again this money is taken out regardless of the time spent on ship (Vacation, medical or SIQ leave doesnt matter) or time spent in home port. So its like we really dont get it anyways.

The Navy has the worst way to get information to families. Pretty much you have to learn as you go and you find out what things are needed once you need them.

I now keep a notebook of all of our important paperwork

FOR NAVY

Current copy of orders

Page 2 (dependants page)

Copies of all birth certificates

Current copies of LES

Copies of SSN and DL

Marriage license

POA's (specific and general)

Account numbers to all accounts with Customer service numbers

as well as other individual paperwork needed for the family

vehicle titles

copies of insurance policies

transcripts

shot records

I also keep a notebook of all of my hubby's school certificates and training records because I am better organized than he is and he needs this stuff all the time. (He thanked me for my OCD'ness when he didnt have to be sprayed in the face with Mace again because I had a copy of the cxertificate and his command did not, go figure)

Now lets talk about our upcoming PCS. We are trying to go to Italy next year. We will submit our choices Monday. I have no idea when they will tell us wether we are approved or not. They will only discuss specifics once we are approved to go. SO they will not tell us how to get passports, register the vehicle, or anything about moving until then. Obviously this is going to take money and time to get the paperwork and fees sorted out. DH will be on deployment and I will have to take care of it all from here. So how am I to budget for things that I dont know when it has to be paid or how much to pay?

Also, this month, our housing is being privatized. Now we have to sign a lease for our service member which requires a POA (my DH conviently has duty that day and cant leave his ship, it is left to me to go sign the stinkin lease). They are now going to give us our BAH which we will then turn around and give to these other people. Have I mentioned the fact that I have to put a security deposit down for a house I have been living in for almost 2 years??

My point is, things are always changing and it is very difficult to deal with the Navy, perhaps the AF is different. I have heard they take better care of their families. I have been told that my kids and I were not issued with my husband's sea bag so we do not matter. Things are not so simple and easy with the Navy as you are trying to make it out to be.

I just wanted to add a specific occurence that happened to me while deployed. Before leaving for my deployment, I set all my bills to automatically be withdrawn from an account specifically set up for bills. I of course also set up an allotment to automatically fund this account.

When I set up my auto-pay with my insurance (GEICO), they took the bank account number down wrong, which resulted in them cancelling my insurance due to non-payment, so when I arrived back from deployment, not only did I not have valid insurance, I also had a suspended drivers license (Florida revokes drivers licenses for people that fail to keep current insurance). Luckily, Florida had recently passed a bill that allowed deployed service members to waive any license revokation due to being uninsured while deployed.

A minor inconvenience, but I do not keep many debts, or else it may have happened to other accounts, with me not having control of any of them.

...and navy doesn't get hostel fire pay no matter where they go.

Just wanted to clear this up. The Navy does give Hostel Fire Pay, it shows on the LES as "HDP/IDP" (Hostel Fire Pay, Imminent Danger Pay). I received this for several months this year.

Unfortunately many of the military pay problems can be attributed to the command, not always DFAS or the branch in particular.

Things are not so simple and easy with the Navy as you are trying to make it out to be.

DH is AD USN - 22 years in. Things are not so complicated as you want to explain them to be, either. The Navy is also not as family-unfriendly as you would portray them to be. We've been in all types of different commands, and many times, it does depend on the command but overall I do not get the impression that we don't count because we werent issued in his sea bag.

The USN *does* get Hazardous Duty Pay (HDP/IDP)- DH has gotten it more than once (shipboard and land-based deployments)... Right now they should be getting it for Persian Gulf deployments.

I do wonder why your DH would be sprayed in the face with mace for lack of a piece of paper, though. :D

Unfortunately many of the military pay problems can be attributed to the command, not always DFAS or the branch in particular.

ESPECIALLY if you're on a ship.

Things are not so simple and easy with the Navy as you are trying to make it out to be.

DH is AD USN - 22 years in. Things are not so complicated as you want to explain them to be, either. The Navy is also not as family-unfriendly as you would portray them to be. We've been in all types of different commands, and many times, it does depend on the command but overall I do not get the impression that we don't count because we werent issued in his sea bag.

The USN *does* get Hazardous Duty Pay (HDP/IDP)- DH has gotten it more than once (shipboard and land-based deployments)... Right now they should be getting it for Persian Gulf deployments.

I do wonder why your DH would be sprayed in the face with mace for lack of a piece of paper, though. :rofl:

ESPECIALLY if you're on a ship.

As I have stated before, my husband has not been deployed to Iraq or the persian gulf, so so far we have not seen hazard duty pay or anything like it. He has been all over europe and asia and soon to be south america. i have stated that Iraq deploys may have different policies. I would not know. I do know that army does get them.

I have found the navy to be nothing but complicated and unhelpfull. perhaps your commands are better. Hopefully we will be as lucky as your family and get better commands.

Yes my husband had to get sprayed in the face with mace. It put him down for three days in 2005. He was going through the training for VBSS (Vessel Board Search and Siezure) which is basically SWAT for boats. You have to be sprayed in the face because they carry mace and must know how to fight if they are sprayed in return or catch some of what they have sprayed someone else with. They recieve a certificate after their training to verify that they completed this. They must complete the training every year (three weeks) but they only have to be sprayed with mace once if they can prove they have completed the course before. After my husband's last deployment, all records were moved from the ship to an on ground site on base. Suprise of all suprises, they lost several certificates for my husband during the move. Luckily I had the copies and was able to provide the command with the paperwork needed to prove he had all ready been through the training before and he did not have to be sprayed again. Instead he was able to help train the other guys how to fight with the mace in their eyes (2006). He will have to do it again soon for this year.

DH has been AD Navy for 8 years. I have not encountered one part of the Navy yet that has been truly helpfull with much of anything. The legal office was about the only thing because they answered my questions and were helpful somewhat. They are not forthcoming with information, they care nothing for me and my children, and some of the components are down right incompetent and rude. Perhaps your experiences are better.

I just hate for people to get the impression that just because you have web bill pay and you are military that you should have no problems. This simply is not true. Also, just because the spouse is home does not mean that he or she is spending all of the money. Anyone who has any job is subject to financial errors at any time and just being in the military does not make you exempt or more likely to have issues. We just have different ones due to deployment. I know I am not the only one who feels this way as I have many friends from different commands here that also say the same things as I am stating.

I am air force and work in the finance office...I hate to say this, but MOST horror stories are ultimately the troops fault...The menality whether they're told or just assume is that they'll have plenty of time to use a computer or phone to make payments to their lenders. Missed payments equal fees, those fees can even trigger over the limit fees, then they come back to realized they owe $700 in fees alone. They don't pay on spite and it goes to collection. Other pretty common one is a troop leaves his wife behind to pay the bills, she spends instead of pays.

I really don't want to turn this into a debate, however your last comment is VERY misleading for many reasons:

1) First and Foremost: I have worked in military family advocacy and it is not pretty common for a troop to leave his wife behind to pay the bills and she spends the money instead of pays. I could very easily make the comment that I dealt with a number of cases where the servicemember took out CASH advances from the finance 'cage' while deployed and when the check was direct deposited, there was very little money left for the spouse to pay bills/care for children.

2) If a servicemember is having financial difficulties and is counseled by the command group/finance, he OR she does not want to be reprimanded and can and will tell finance/command group that the spouse overspent when in reality the financial difficulties were there well before any deployment.

3) Soldiers have been known to leave spouses behind with NO money to pay bills, leaving the spouse in a position where he or she has to apply for loans, grants, and public assistance.

I am a military wife, We dont even have enough to pay bills when he is not deployed.

The military does not pay good and nothing is free.

They cannot get public assistance if they make to much money they could be 1 penny over, and not allowed to get food stamps.

The agency the above person is referring to forgot to mention, the soldiers put in money for that program.

every unit collects money for other soldiers emergencies.

But in order to get help you get in trouble and scrutinized.

The civillians working for the military treat us like we are begging them.

Most wives do pay bills, But sometimes you must decide wheather to feed the kids or keep the lights on.

Thats the real military family life.

Please make sure that you post accurate information, I know how frustrating military life can be; but spreading incorrect information is not the solution to the problem...

BAS-Basic Allowance for Subsistence - This allotment is for the service member only and is not intended to cover spouses and/or family members’ room and board costs.

BAH - Basic Allowance for Housing - It is payable when government quarters are not provided or when temporarily residing in barracks (i.e. basic training, job school, unaccompanied overseas assignment).

In other words if you are living in housing the Department of Defense is your landlord and they keep their rent money!

FSA - Family Separation Allowance - is paid at the rate of $250.00 per month or prorated at $8.33 per day. FSA is payable to Service Members with dependents assigned away from their permanent duty station continuously for more than 30 days in a TDY or TCS status, when all of the member’s dependents are not residing at or near the temporary station.

You should ask your husband about the retroactive pay (BAH and Promotion), because DFAS can not just keep your money...sooner or later the system always catches up with you (for good or bad)

Let me conclude by saying that we all (Air Force, Army, Marines, NAVY) fell under the Department of Defense and the pay variations (if any) in most cases are job related ( Special Pay, Incentives, etc). not Branch related.

I was AD Navy for 4 years (98-02), DH was AD for 12 (94-06).

Not to go off on a tangent here, but I'm going to chime in, especially on that last one. You know, you're right...a lot of military members mismanage their finances. It's easy to do when you are young, and even easier when you don't have little stability with a lot of responsibility. Most of you have probably made a few mistakes yourself or you probably wouldn't be on this board.

Like many young people, we made a lot of financial mistakes, but in almost every instance of extreme financial difficulty, it was due Navy pay Screw-ups! We are literally still suffering financially from the results of a 1999 Snafu. [That's the year our credit first decided to take a visit to hell and must have liked it, because it stayed there a while.The financial stress that befalls a military member (deployed or not) can't be compared to a civilian and it certainly can't be ignored. The inability of a spouse to work due to frequent moves and other factors relating to military life coupled with the "not great" pay cannot be overlooked either! While web bill pay and Internet banking are helpful, Internet connections weren't always readily available, and in many cases they still aren't.

Let me just come out and say that in no other organization in the world would someone be able to make so many errors in pay and not be SUED constantly. If military members, in particular sailors (true, assigned to a ship) could sue the Navy for the undue financial hardship caused by pay and accounting errors, then the most sophisticated ship that the Navy would own would be a kayak.

Here are a few instances:

1. The first thing that messed up our credit, 1999: He was E-5, I was E-3. Shared apt off base, not married. He was entitled to BAH as an E-5, I was entitled to nothing because I was an E-3 (Do YOU want to live in the shipyards if you have always had allergy issues?) Didn't get BAH until March 2000, applied in Aug 99. PSD lost paperwork. Completed new paperwork in December. Finally paid in February. So, just to be sure that you aren't reporting any inaccuracies, the Navy NEVER paid that BAH! Money lost=$3,840

TOTALLY screwed up credit, STILL working on issues related to this time frame. Their response was that the member should have made copies of any requests for housing allowance and since he did not, the application that was processed was the only thing that would count.

2. Married in 2001, had to mail name change forms to SS office from sea, submit forms with PSD. Took a total of 7 months to change...guess what? Husband was at home with POA with married name, but few would accept because didn't match cred. reports or accounts because some accts required pay stub with current name. Money Lost: Lots of extra fees and time spentI made first increment on my E-5 exam, but didn't get paid until January 02 DUE TO AN ACCOUNTING ERROR...did get retroactive.

3. I got out in Sept 2002. No pay check until Nov, couldn't find a job because we were moving in Feb 03. Took a loan from Pioneer military loans at an ungodly interest rate. Money Lost: $1,008 in fees for loan due to late payment from Navy

4. Did a DIY move. Told travel and money would be in hand NLT 01 March. Moved last week of Feb. Money arrived? June 1st pay day. Had to refi crazy high APR loan. Money Lost: At least $1650 in fees & interest

5. While a FT student depending on GI Bill and NCF, processing center lost paperwork from school. No payment for two months. Did retroactively pay. Not Navy, but still the same group of people.

6. Same thing when husband sep'd. Pay took 2 months to get here. Made it without a loan, but was late on several cards.

SO, you won't ever be able to convince this optimist that the Navy is a great "organization" (and I use that term lightly, as the fiscal management side should be called the Navy UnOrganization).

Please don't misunderstand and think that I am bitter about my military service. In fact, I'm very proud of the fact that we both served in the military. There are some wonderful things about the Navy and I don't regret the time that we spent there. There are a lot of wonderful people in the military.

However, for someone to believe that, as a whole, service members amount to more than just another number (in their organization) is being naive. I fought with PSD over SOMETHING at least once a year. They absolutely do not care about the people. What saddens me the most is that it's other military members that are making life harder for these families! It's an utter lack of respect for both their position and the work and sacrifices of the member. If I treated my employees the way that I was treated in the Navy, every single one of them would quit. Can you imagine me telling them there was some delay in their pay and they wouldn't get it for months? I mean, really?!

When I was a military spouse, the level of disrespect that I got from PSD (pay clerks) was outrageous. DFAS was another story entirely, even worse! Almost immediately, if I let it be known that I was prior AD, I was treated with more respect. So, please don't come on these boards and speak to these women as if they are maliciously spreading lies. It happens every day: The member assumes the spouse knows all of the ins and outs of the military, the spouse assumes the member has told them everything and in fact neither of them know everything. It should be absolutely MANDATED that every member of the military attend a financial planning and education session prior to marriage, deployment, having children or buying a home. The unique needs of a military family surpass those of regular families and if the system is going to be so difficult and pay on so many different levels, there needs to be more MANDATORY financial workshops, not just available on the web or at your nearest FFSC.

There are so many instances of pay mistakes in the military that this post could be just re: that topic! For you to be a military member or spouse and not admit the fact that you have experienced (or at the very least, witnessed) a pay error must mean you are either in a different branch of the military, have always been at a shore command, are married to someone in personnel, or are the Personnel Officer. Every single person that I know can tell you a story like mine!!!!

If anyone is considering going overseas with the military, I can tell you what to expect. I am going through this now with my husband deployed. There are financial considerations for E-4 and below and E-5 and above is different. The military will not tell you anything before you have orders, which is annoying because now they put a time limit on when all of this is due. I wish someone would have been able to let us know what to expect so I could have had some of the paperwork together now instead of scrambling to find everything in a week. Anyways, If you want to know what to expect, pm me.

Let me just come out and say that in no other organization in the world would someone be able to make so many errors in pay and not be SUED constantly. If military members, in particular sailors (true, assigned to a ship) could sue the Navy for the undue financial hardship caused by pay and accounting errors, then the most sophisticated ship that the Navy would own would be a kayak.

Oh my gosh. I tell my husband CONSTANTLY that if a business was run the Marine Corps is, it would be out of business in a month. DH has been in the Corps for 6 and 1/2 years. We have been at four duty stations. We have never ONCE moved without some serious financial issues attributable directly to the Corps.

When we first got married we went from a situation from my husband being in military quarters (and in a different branch) to being married and in the Corps. The day we got married, he rated BAH and we moved to VA from MD and rented an apt so that he could report to Quantico MCB for training. For some reason, the admin office there neglected to process his new paperwork, which we took in the first day that we could, and we never received BAH. It took 6 months for them to pay us any BAH. The admin office continuously refused to speak to me about the issue because I was "only" a spouse. They wanted my husband to address it with them directly. Which was virtually impossible since their 8-4 hours were slightly difficult for my husband who was on deck at 5 each morning and not secured before 7 (at the VERY earliest) each evening. Despite a POA, admin was entirely uninterested in helping me. It took a call, from me, to the Capt in charge of DH's platoon to get any results. Needless to say, once the Capt called them, the money (7200) was in our accounts within a week. The same office caused serious problems for my husband's classmate who didn't get paid for 3 months. They wouldn't speak with his wife either.

We just PCSed across country from CA to VA. And the Corps has caused us numerous problems again. Between our partial DITY and our travel and dislocation allowances, the Corps owes us approximately $14000. $9000 of this was supposed to be in our account on the 21st of September. After weeks and weeks (almost 8, I believe) of blatant lies and incompetence from the admin office, we finally received $4000 last week (God only knows when the remaining 10K will show). Thank God we can rely on a significant amount of credit to deal with all the expenses that we incurred during our move or we would have been SOL. Marines take great care of other Marines, but the Marine Corps does a very crappy job of taking care of Marines, in my experience. Unfortunately, these pay problems are all too common amongst the Marines we know. The most upsetting thing about is it that while DH and I have resources to deal with expenses, what happens to the Marines that don't?

I guess my point is that there is only so much planning you can do if you aren't getting paid, KWIM? And believe me, I spent time as a Key Volunteer dealing with wives of deployed Marines. I know just how much trouble some spouses can cause when a Marine is deployed. I had to deal with a lot of fallout from situations caused by spouses. DH had to deal with trouble caused by Marines who were with him in the sandbox taking tons of split pay and leaving their wives with No Pay Due paychecks. There is a dire need for financial instruction for some of the Marines.

On the issue of disparity among branches, we just came from a joint forces situation and the difference between what my husband as a Marine receives from the Corps and our friend an airman receives from the AF is mind boggling. From quality of housing to stipends, the AF takes much better care of their airmen than the Corps can for Marines. It is very sad to see sometimes.

On topic, when DH deployed in '03, all of our creditors were more than willing to help us deal with our situation. The only problem was that reducing our CC rates meant freezing the accounts which was useless for us. We did run into an issue with POAs and accounts that weren't joint. Even if you have a specific POA, I found that many companies (Chase in particular) are still reluctant to deal with you.

I can say that we are not truly paid that much during deployment, the ones who say we are im noticing are highups or officer. In addition to my husbands pay we make exactly an extra $575 a month.

That includes $225 Hostile /FZ pay $250 Family Seperation Pay and $100 Save pay

As far as taxes goes that is ok for those who have alot of taxes taken out monthly, but we never did so where not really gaining any money back there. One thing I inform alot of wives of is when they say taxes they are only referring to federal and sometimes state. I know alot of people think they will not have to pay FICA and Medicare and all that extra stuff , but thats not the case.

When you add in the cost of phonecards and packages not to mention the $175 bucks my husband has to pay every 3 months to have computer access, that extra money is pretty much gone.

The one thing I did take advantage of was the 6% interest on the STAR CARD which lets me not have any payments for the duration of his deployment. SOme say that is bad but it works for me since money is tight.

I also called my car company and asked them about the SCRA well they backdated all my interest and it paid off my car.

Have you ever LOOKED at an LES??? Yes they give us $250 BAS BUT they take out $230 WHETHER OR NOT my husband is deployed. That leaves only an extra $20 a month for food, not much

If this is the case, you are getting screwed. If you are married, they do not take BAS back out of your LES. Your husband need to conact his S-1 and get it revised. Only single soldier living in the barracks have Meal Deductions taken out.

I am in BNCOC now (an Army school) and one of the guys in my class had his wife ring up over $40,000 in CC debit while he was deployed to Iraq.

I told him to divorce her flowers then sue her for opening up a card in his name.

He wont listen to me ;)

I am in BNCOC now (an Army school) and one of the guys in my class had his wife ring up over $40,000 in CC debit while he was deployed to Iraq.

I told him to divorce her flowers then sue her for opening up a card in his name.

He wont listen to me :P

You are only hearing one side of the story.

He wont listen to me :grin:

Yes I understand that but he showed me his bills, he has to use over 80% of his paycheck to pay towards the CCs. There is a lot more too it and all I can say is 1 joint account for paying bills and 2 seperate accounts, one for the wife and one for the hubby and no joint CCs.

He wont listen to me ;)

Yes I understand that but he showed me his bills, he has to use over 80% of his paycheck to pay towards the CCs. There is a lot more too it and all I can say is 1 joint account for paying bills and 2 seperate accounts, one for the wife and one for the hubby and no joint CCs.

How do you know he didn't contribute to the debt? When it comes to a significant debt, it is ALWAYS easier to blame someone else. I am not saying this did not happen and does not happen in the military because it does, however it can go both ways and I have seen it go both ways except the wife left back home did not have any credit cards and her husband left her with VERY LITTLE money to pay bills. Some spouses were handed eviction notices for non payment within a couple of weeks of their spouses deployment because their spouse left without paying rent and did not tell them.

I wish I was still in. Huge mistake getting out. Like most things in life. there is not a simple one-size-fits-all solution to the issues at hand. However, I can speak with a small bit of experience. That truly 99% of the time, when you peel back the layers of the onion. It is the service member who has caused all of his or her financial woes. A small dose of self-education + that ruthless teacher called experience, usually helps most everyone out of there financial problems in the military.

Immaturity + easy credit are ALWAYS a recipe for problems, regardless of service affiliation. When I was a PVT/E-1, I didn't save, bought on credit, never had a plan for finances and guess what? There were tons of problems. 21yrs later not so many problems.

I have never been a victim nor will I be.

BTW the money is pretty good. I laugh when people complain about the pay. the paycharts are not a secret, there widely publicized. there is NO draft. yet folks still act as if there not paid well. I KNOW that most are paid well (for their experience) they just don't budget well.

my 0.02

I've been hashing this out a little bit at a time in the credit forum, but I figured it was my duty to contribute here as well. I'll try to keep this from running on endlessly.

Had Alltel phone. Deployed to Iraq in 2003. Had service ended shortly before deployment while paying balance. No contact with Alltel since. No record of being shut off. Wasn't really at the forefront of my mind.

Have been shredding unidentifiable mail without opening believing it to be junk for a while; started opening everything a short while ago.

Received what was probably not first communication from A "effin" I; trying to cut a deal for 50%. Alltel CSR wont give me any info other than "talk to the CA". This tells me Alltel did not cancel, or reactivated my account without my permission, or did something to cause me to incure charges without my knowing.

I email nutcased as many execs as I could find at alltel, no answer. Sending toned down letters soon.

Will DV A "effin" I soon.

I've been off active duty for about 2 years, which I have been doing nothing but training and studing and testing to be a paid firefighter. It is a very long, competitive and arduous process. I applied for a hiring process Aug 2006. After going through the whole testing process started then, and being in the top 20 candidates (the first group to be contacted) I just now am being contacted to submit to a background check which undoubtedly will include a credit check. This is my only "recent derogatory", which is in error, and may mean the difference between employment or not. There will not be another list compiled for another 2 years minimum. If somehow I did secure employment, the DW and I would then be in the market for our first house.

All for $117 that I don't even owe.

I know many more and worse "screwed at home while off at war" stories.

Anyways....That my story and I'm sticking to it! :yahoo:

Im an E5 in the Navy, stationed Overseas in Yokosuka Japan. My story...

When I was 18, I went credit crazy, and recieved Cards/Loans from Capitalone, Kay, Reeds, JC PENNY, Zales, Aspire, AES, and Dell. I never paid any back or intended. I didnt have a clue how credit worked, but I remeber a Teacher telling me how easy it was to make lil mistakes when your young and just declare BK.

When I was 20 i joined the Navy, Learned a lil disapline, Went to a few madatory finnancial training, and decided I was going to get my Sh*t Straight. Started Settling everything I could. Well I have been in the Navy for 5 years now, and around September of this year, decided that since I was going to the states I would buy a house. I bought a copy of my credit report to see what was there. It was pretty Bad. About 6,000 dollars in debt and alot of account I never heard of. Well I make great money and can afford to pay it all of, and I have, now Im doing the cleaning. Everything that is on my credit report, with the exception of the missing judgment, is my fault. I thought that my credit would get better with time, and with creditors opening up duplicate accounts, and then others putting accounts as new charge offs every month. it just went down hill. Its hard to repair credit overses, because of the time it takes for mail, having no clue what address collections are going to...and having to stay up till 11pm to complain to customer service. The military made me finnacially responsible though. I never regret joining, would just like to get my score up.

I was told in my posting to add a post here and ask "Breeze" for some help. This is my original posting highlighting my issue http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=307590.

I am just waiting for the tradeline saying it is in collections to show up on my report. I am devistated this will be my first negative report. I have solid, excellent credit (I have never had late payments or unpaid debts my ratings are 725+) but I know that if I pay it they are not going to care and it will be hard to even get them to deal with me after that. The negative rating will stay on my credit as collections even if it shows up paid.

Is there anyway to go about this to get the negative collection tradeline removed or any indication of a negative rating removed? Is it better to just pay it and be done with them, taking the rating and sucking it up or dispute their claim and do a little work in hopes that my name will get cleared in the end?

If doing work is the answer where do I start? Is using a JAG lawyer wise or is it better to dispute as a consumer alone? I know some of the things they said on the phone are illegal after I looked up the Fair Collections Act but what can I do about that? I know this is a ton of questions but any help would be appreciated.

So I know this is my first post....but when I transfered to Japan back in 1999, there really was not much available to do online and I am still paying for those mistakes on my credit report. I had to rely on mail to get back and forth to the credit companies and needless to say it did not. I have a several negative items on my credit report that will be there for a long time becuase they were still charging fees and interest up until 2004/2005.

I don't know how to fix this stuff and have tried to this with the cc companies to no avail.....any help on that would be awesome.....

One more thing: I searched the forum to see if there was already a post about something like this but there was not, at least that I could find: End of 2003 I got deployed to Uzbekistan with the AF and had worked it out with my apartment complex to pay the rent when I got back, minus late fees because I was only going to be gone for 30 days. I had all this in writing by the manger and then she quit while I was gone. I got back to find out that I had been taken to court for failure to pay my rent. They filed a judgement against me for the whole amount of the lease. I went in the next day and paid the whole amount, but the damage had already been done. I showed them the letter and they told me that because she did not work there anymore that that letter was no good to them. So my questions, is there anything I can do to get the judgement off my credit report? And, is there anything I can do about the charge-offs that are now paid? There is also a debt for a credit card on there with a balance that keeps going up month after month, but when I call Capitol One, they have no record of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I also have plenty of other military/credit stories if they are still needed.

Thanks for the help

Shane

He wont listen to me <_<

That is crazy.

All I can say is it comes down to communication and trust.

Both my husband and I communicate about money, cc's, bank accounts, all that. We also trust each other. Yes there was a period in the beginning that we both had to get used to being an "us" instead of an "I" but we worked it out.

If you can not trust the spouse, wheather home or deployed, then you are going to have issues.

I do not believe this thread was started with the intention of blaming the deployed or their spouse as the root of all of the financial issues.

I believe this thread was intended to be about the difficulties of finacial life that face those in the military.

Can we please stop with the generalization of the spouse spends money!??!!

The fact is that some do but not all.

I am the at home military spouse and I am NOT out spending all of our money. In fact, I am trying to find out the best way to invest the 10k that we have saved this year.

So if you have information that is helpful please post and stop the bashing of military spouses.

If you have an issue and need help credit wise, you are best posting in the credit forum where more people will see it.

And do not forget that military has the JAG office for free that can help you in many situations. They can also point you to other military affiliated places that can help you too. It is FREE and does not go on your record that you used it.

There are also places where you can get a no interst or low interest loans if you need money, places to get food and clothes if you need it (sometimes furniture too) as well as many other programs. DO not forget that with the servicemembers relief act you have many protections including a stay from eviction, lowered interest rates, and other legal issues.