Sign in to follow this  
breeze

Military deployment and credit

Glad the story had a good ending! USERRA does not protect from non payment. You had a compassionate lender, thankfully! TY for your service. My last tour was a year in Egypt (2008).

Glad the story had a good ending! USERRA does not protect from non payment. You had a compassionate lender, thankfully! TY for your service. My last tour was a year in Egypt (2008).

Do you mean USERRA or SCRA? I've had experience with both. And you're right, neither protects from non-payment. The latter is the one my post was about. In my case it was a mistake on their part in getting both my bank's routing number and my social wrong by one digit. And as an earlier poster said, to them everyone has a story. That's probably why I was written off as just someone who defaulted until I got home and was able to send a DD 214 directly to their legal department. I didn't go into all the details in that post, but they were not a compassionate lender. The full story involved repossessing and selling THE WRONG CAR. I had two red Honda Civics, they took the wrong one and sold it at auction before coming back and getting right vehicle. I was called in to the Drill Sergeant's office during Basic Training twice to talk about it, three times during AIT with a minimum of 7 calls a week for about 8 weeks threatening as much legal action as they could without saying they would sue... It was really a horrible experience. But that's exactly what the SCRA is for... Really grateful for that law.

The USERRA issue was for a company not rehiring me when I got back from IET. It took from October 2008 until last month (16 April) to resolve, but it was finally settled with back pay and liquidated damages. Again, I'm grateful these laws exist.

From what I've seen and experienced, it's typically an issue where the soldier just wasn't paying his bills. Or financial trouble prior to their enlistment because they just didn't have the money. While that's not justification for not following through on financial obligations, some of the lending practices I've seen and heard from other soldiers disgusts me.

Kids fresh out of AIT that have an enlistment bonus and a steady income for the first time just aren't educated enough about money a lot of the time. I know I wasn't back then, and I knew quite a bit! But new soldiers are going out to dealers that practically start drooling when they see large cash down on a flashy, overpriced car, and realize a military paycheck is golden. The soldier often doesn't realize 21% interest on a $15,000 car car is not a bargain. Even though the salesman was "able to talk 'them' down into stretching out the payment over 72 months. And those are the ones I wish I could talk to and counsel; that need sites like this, and not some PowerPoint with a bunch of acronyms and BS "if you have any questions, ask your chain of command" advice.

We got a briefing like that during an AAR after a six day mission shortly before leaving Iraq last time. This was right after 14 straight hours on the road (IED's and route clearance delays, mostly). Everyone was crashing from the sugar, Rip-its, Wild Tiger, Red Bull, no-doze, Adderall, or whatever else they had used to stay awake, and the last thing anyone cared about was a briefing on their rights to reemployment or protections to their finances.

Alright, now I'm just ranting. I just wanted to clear up which law I was referring to, and to ask anyone who's still in to make sure your Soldiers/Sailors/Airmen/Marines know about forums like this. Check the box when you have to, but follow up on it by actually getting involved.

And Egypt would be real cool, haha. I'm still hoping to hit up Bright Star someday, it just hasn't worked out with my unit's deployment rotation!

In this case, I mean both ;-)

I think your mindset is correct right now -- let this one go. It's a complicated case you have there dude, with wrongdoing it seems on both sides (thought the FUBAR/SNAFU was ultimately at their end). I recall on-time payment briefings being forced town my throat as early as MEPS, and multiple times in Basic Training Reception and down range. ---then again prior to three deployments. Most indicated that SSRA does not protect from lack of timely payments and not to trust others to make payments for ourselves.

If you wanted a last laugh, this is an excellent press piece. Send me a private message on here or to my alias e-mail address - brint1212 'at' live 'dot' com. I'd enjoy touching base with you and glad you posted this for others to review / take note of

BTW, been on both Bright Star (1 month) and MFO (one year). The later is the better mission, by far. I spent a year playing golf, scuba diving, traveling Israel and manning OP-3-11 (see Tiran Island on Wikipedia).

19D

In short, if a troop (and their spouse if they have one) practice money management skills at all times and set up a web bill pay prior to deploying, 99.9% of all problems will be avoided.

The ones who are saying that a member deploys and leaves no money behind for the spouse. That's a money management issue, aka the members fault. A troop makes more money being deployed vs. staying at the base. #1, every married member gets approx $280/mo BAS (food allowance). When not deployed, the troop will have to eat therefore uses money to pay for it. When you're deployed you get free food and still get paid that $280 BAS. You can also get tax free hostel fire pay, $225/mo. Lastly, when you return, you get tax free $250/mo for family separation. Lastly when deployed you get taxes taken out of your pay. ONce you arrive back at your base, you get a tax credit to equal "tax free".

We have a horrible pay system, DJMS. It's DOS based, everything is in arbitruary codes. DJMS piggybacks off of the personal computer system. Sometimes there's an error in the piggybacking. Eg, someone gets promoted, our DJMS isn't reading the new promotion. We're all going to have a new milpay system, therefore they won't spend another dime on improving DJMS. One last thing, we PAY GROSS and take back NET. That's a really bad thing IMO.

Have you ever LOOKED at an LES??? Yes they give us $250 BAS BUT they take out $230 WHETHER OR NOT my husband is deployed. That leaves only an extra $20 a month for food, not much (and payments for dental eat that up anyways). We dont see a dime of the BAH and we spend WAY more on uniforms a year then we get in stipend from them (roughly double of what they give). And they only give you seperation pay IF you have been seperated for more than 60 consecutive days. You get that but it takes them forever to get it to you, so it is not something you can count on as you never know when it will start or end. They will usually bring them back in on the 59th day to avoid paying it or send them out and bring them back in all the time. I have only spent 65 days with my husband this year and not consecutively, the rest he has been gone. We have not seen a penny of seperation pay this year. You do NOT get a tax credit after you come back from deployment (unless Iraq deploys have different rules) and navy doesn't get hostel fire pay no matter where they go. I have never seen any extra pay from the navy that they didnt give grudgingly. It took them nearly a year to give us BAH after we were married and they never back payed us either. When my husband made second class, it took them 6 months to pay him the extra 200 a month and he was never back payed to the day he got promoted either. there are too many rules and red tape for them to do anything.

99.9% of all problems are not avoided by simple money management. You need to have a POA for a lot and most companies will not accept a general. Companies such as KAY's Jewelers require a specific POA for me to even talk to them about my husband's account. I had to find that out the hard way. It is sooo frustrating when you are the one dealing with it and you can not get anything done. And Navy federal, as wonderful as they are, have to see the POA everytime I try to do something in his name even though I am joint on the account. They will not make a copy of it and keep it on file. I have to go into a branch and literally show them the copy for them to discuss certain things. We keep seperate credit accounts and I can not talk to the companies without faxing them the POA, talking to legal, and figuring out what companies require a specific POA. It is a PITA.

The only time we have had money issues on deployment has been when I pay the bills and my husband would look at our account and pull out whatever he wanted without knowing what bills I paid. So we had overdraft fees and all kinds of issues because HE spent the money while I was paying the bills. I am sure he told them it was all MY fault. That ended quickly because I put him on an allowance only giveing him so much allottment every month out of his paycheck. After he spent his money he had to call me and ask if there was enough in the account. This worked out better and never once have I had to turn him down for money. It really is more about the communication than the spending of the money. Once we worked out our goals and issues we began to grow more responsible financially.

Web Bill pay is the best thing in the world! We have not missed a payment since we started using it. The Legal services office is really helpful when doing the credit repair stuff and NMCRS was so helpful with the layette profram and budgeting/financial help. Sometimes the FFSC is helpful also.

I know this thread is like 4 years old, but I couldn't help replying. There are quite a few problems with your post, and I'd hate for people to read it and take it as truth.

1.BAS(Basic allowance for sustenance)This entitlement is for the SERVICE MEMBER ONLY. It is not meant to pay for diapers, pay for gas, etc, etc. This is what your husband gets so he, and he alone can eat. When deployed, more often than not, it is taken away because they are providing the meals(ie, on the ship, on deployment).

2.BAH: You aren't getting a dime because you live in base housing. They pay you, then take it out automatically. Move out on town, chose your own house, and you receive the full entitlement for your zip code.

3.FSA(family sep pay)Whoever told you about the 60 days thing is flat out wrong. If your husband is away on a deployment for more than 30 days, fsa kicks in at $250 a month. If you haven't been receiving it, it is up to your husband to find out why.

4.Hostile fire pay is not Army, Navy, Marine, etc specific. ALL services receive the same pay, same entitlements, same BAH(with the exception being clothing allowance). The Navy does receive hostile fire pay. I've gotten it many times, and will start getting it again in about a month.

5. The whole not getting paid for 6 months after making e-5..That is how the Navy advances. The Navy tells him on a certain day,"you are entitled to WEAR the next higher rank, but are not entitled to pay and allowances UNTIL advanced to the next pay grade. It's a waiting period. There's no back pay. Each time I have advanced, I have worn my new crows, but havent gotten paid for 6 months. It sucks, but thats the way the Navy advances.

Bottom line: Each individual member of the military responsible for their pay. If you aren't getting what you think you are getting, go to the pay office EVERY SINGLE DAY until it is fixed. Military pay is very complicated, but know one is going to hold your hand. I know what I get paid every 2 weeks down to the dollar. If something is off, I'm at the pay office getting it straightened out. Things like this can be worked on with proper communication. Don't listen to the wive's club. Look it up for yourself. DFAS website will tell you all the pay and special pays out there. DOD per diem website is great for BAH, COLA, per diem rates. I use these as tools so I always know what I am entitled to, and what I am missing.

In short, if a troop (and their spouse if they have one) practice money management skills at all times and set up a web bill pay prior to deploying, 99.9% of all problems will be avoided.

The ones who are saying that a member deploys and leaves no money behind for the spouse. That's a money management issue, aka the members fault. A troop makes more money being deployed vs. staying at the base. #1, every married member gets approx $280/mo BAS (food allowance). When not deployed, the troop will have to eat therefore uses money to pay for it. When you're deployed you get free food and still get paid that $280 BAS. You can also get tax free hostel fire pay, $225/mo. Lastly, when you return, you get tax free $250/mo for family separation. Lastly when deployed you get taxes taken out of your pay. ONce you arrive back at your base, you get a tax credit to equal "tax free".

We have a horrible pay system, DJMS. It's DOS based, everything is in arbitruary codes. DJMS piggybacks off of the personal computer system. Sometimes there's an error in the piggybacking. Eg, someone gets promoted, our DJMS isn't reading the new promotion. We're all going to have a new milpay system, therefore they won't spend another dime on improving DJMS. One last thing, we PAY GROSS and take back NET. That's a really bad thing IMO.

Have you ever LOOKED at an LES??? Yes they give us $250 BAS BUT they take out $230 WHETHER OR NOT my husband is deployed. That leaves only an extra $20 a month for food, not much (and payments for dental eat that up anyways). We dont see a dime of the BAH and we spend WAY more on uniforms a year then we get in stipend from them (roughly double of what they give). And they only give you seperation pay IF you have been seperated for more than 60 consecutive days. You get that but it takes them forever to get it to you, so it is not something you can count on as you never know when it will start or end. They will usually bring them back in on the 59th day to avoid paying it or send them out and bring them back in all the time. I have only spent 65 days with my husband this year and not consecutively, the rest he has been gone. We have not seen a penny of seperation pay this year. You do NOT get a tax credit after you come back from deployment (unless Iraq deploys have different rules) and navy doesn't get hostel fire pay no matter where they go. I have never seen any extra pay from the navy that they didnt give grudgingly. It took them nearly a year to give us BAH after we were married and they never back payed us either. When my husband made second class, it took them 6 months to pay him the extra 200 a month and he was never back payed to the day he got promoted either. there are too many rules and red tape for them to do anything.

99.9% of all problems are not avoided by simple money management. You need to have a POA for a lot and most companies will not accept a general. Companies such as KAY's Jewelers require a specific POA for me to even talk to them about my husband's account. I had to find that out the hard way. It is sooo frustrating when you are the one dealing with it and you can not get anything done. And Navy federal, as wonderful as they are, have to see the POA everytime I try to do something in his name even though I am joint on the account. They will not make a copy of it and keep it on file. I have to go into a branch and literally show them the copy for them to discuss certain things. We keep seperate credit accounts and I can not talk to the companies without faxing them the POA, talking to legal, and figuring out what companies require a specific POA. It is a PITA.

The only time we have had money issues on deployment has been when I pay the bills and my husband would look at our account and pull out whatever he wanted without knowing what bills I paid. So we had overdraft fees and all kinds of issues because HE spent the money while I was paying the bills. I am sure he told them it was all MY fault. That ended quickly because I put him on an allowance only giveing him so much allottment every month out of his paycheck. After he spent his money he had to call me and ask if there was enough in the account. This worked out better and never once have I had to turn him down for money. It really is more about the communication than the spending of the money. Once we worked out our goals and issues we began to grow more responsible financially.

Web Bill pay is the best thing in the world! We have not missed a payment since we started using it. The Legal services office is really helpful when doing the credit repair stuff and NMCRS was so helpful with the layette profram and budgeting/financial help. Sometimes the FFSC is helpful also.

I know this thread is like 4 years old, but I couldn't help replying. There are quite a few problems with your post, and I'd hate for people to read it and take it as truth.

1.BAS(Basic allowance for sustenance)This entitlement is for the SERVICE MEMBER ONLY. It is not meant to pay for diapers, pay for gas, etc, etc. This is what your husband gets so he, and he alone can eat. When deployed, more often than not, it is taken away because they are providing the meals(ie, on the ship, on deployment).

2.BAH: You aren't getting a dime because you live in base housing. They pay you, then take it out automatically. Move out on town, chose your own house, and you receive the full entitlement for your zip code.

3.FSA(family sep pay)Whoever told you about the 60 days thing is flat out wrong. If your husband is away on a deployment for more than 30 days, fsa kicks in at $250 a month. If you haven't been receiving it, it is up to your husband to find out why.

4.Hostile fire pay is not Army, Navy, Marine, etc specific. ALL services receive the same pay, same entitlements, same BAH(with the exception being clothing allowance). The Navy does receive hostile fire pay. I've gotten it many times, and will start getting it again in about a month.

5. The whole not getting paid for 6 months after making e-5..That is how the Navy advances. The Navy tells him on a certain day,"you are entitled to WEAR the next higher rank, but are not entitled to pay and allowances UNTIL advanced to the next pay grade. It's a waiting period. There's no back pay. Each time I have advanced, I have worn my new crows, but havent gotten paid for 6 months. It sucks, but thats the way the Navy advances.

Bottom line: Each individual member of the military responsible for their pay. If you aren't getting what you think you are getting, go to the pay office EVERY SINGLE DAY until it is fixed. Military pay is very complicated, but know one is going to hold your hand. I know what I get paid every 2 weeks down to the dollar. If something is off, I'm at the pay office getting it straightened out. Things like this can be worked on with proper communication. Don't listen to the wive's club. Look it up for yourself. DFAS website will tell you all the pay and special pays out there. DOD per diem website is great for BAH, COLA, per diem rates. I use these as tools so I always know what I am entitled to, and what I am missing.

Its great and all that you think you need to "correct" me, but you dont read well.

1) was in response to someone saying that we got money for food, (substanance), whie we did get BAS, it was not what people think when they hear, "oh we get an allowance for food". I never said the money was for "gas, dipers, etc". But people saying that we get "money for food" is not true, basically what he (the service member) got for food was 20 bucks a month, while attached to a ship, whether or not he was on deployment and wether or not he ate on the ship at all (which he did not eat on the ship when in port, he ate at home).

2) When i was typing i was mad and mistated the number of days. But my point is still the same. The ship would go out for 29 days, "come in to port" which often meant sitting off the coast and not actually coming on the shore, so the FSA would not kick in. Point of the story is still the same, you can not always count on them to pay you for separation.

3)My husband chased drug trafficers, was shot at, boarded other vessels while being shot at et al, and was still not considered hostile pay. Dont know what deployments you were on, but not one deployment we have been through in our nearly 12 years of military life has been "hostile enough" for hostile pay. So agian, point being that you should not count on certain things being given just because you are on a depolyment.

4) for the bah issue, we were not living on base housing, we were living in a house we chose on our own and were paying out of pocket for it. We did not recieve BAH for nearly a year. We should have been getting BAH in order to pay rent to the house we had. We were not. My husband could not "deal with it" because his ship never stayed in port long enough for him to contact all of the people he needed to contact. Like I said, i was with him for only 64 days out of a year and they were not consecutive.

5)The navy advancement does not work like you stated. no you do not get paid right away, but my point was you can not count on them paying you right away and you do not get back paid, so people who are "banking" on the fact that they will be making more money should not expect it fast or soon.

So thanks for acting like you know everything. you obviously did not read my post. Since my point in most of it is that the military is difficult to deal with and you can not expect to be paid some things just because they are there, (as in the hosile and separation pay)

This week i am dealing with Navy Medical, who has some how lost my daughter's entire medical record. They are saying that we never turned it in. I know they were turned in, we turned all 4 records in at the same time to the same place. So how is it they have 3 out of 4?? I hand carried all those records across the ocean myself. But instead of owning up to losing the record and working with us to come up with a solution, they are basically saying they can do nothing. So now i am having them make a copy of the other 3 just in case they try to say the same about the others when we pcs.

The past 3 years has been pretty good financially since we have the money aspect straightend out. I am happy to say that this command has had less issues with getting paid, but the paperwork issue is always the same, slllooooowwwww.

My point as always stands, dont count on getting all your money at the time you are entitled to it or request it. You have to watch your own back with them and being the spouse left behind to deal with it is not always easy. And i know I we are not the only family to have issues, and we are not all a "wives club". I know and work with plenty of men who are the dependant.

And "proper communication" does not always work, especially when half the people you talk to either do not know what is going on or do not want to deal with it. You have no idea how many times i had to listen to them say "we can only deal with the service member", when i knew that to be a lie.

Either way, I am an old hat at dealing with all this crap, i know what i am entitled to and when, and i know how to play this game, but the info is not always readily available to spouses and they are not always accommidating to the spouse. We had a heck of a time with that command and installation, and i am glad to say they are not all like that.

Its great and all that you think you need to "correct" me, but you dont read well.

1) was in response to someone saying that we got money for food, (substanance), whie we did get BAS, it was not what people think when they hear, "oh we get an allowance for food". I never said the money was for "gas, dipers, etc". But people saying that we get "money for food" is not true, basically what he (the service member) got for food was 20 bucks a month, while attached to a ship, whether or not he was on deployment and wether or not he ate on the ship at all (which he did not eat on the ship when in port, he ate at home).

2) When i was typing i was mad and mistated the number of days. But my point is still the same. The ship would go out for 29 days, "come in to port" which often meant sitting off the coast and not actually coming on the shore, so the FSA would not kick in. Point of the story is still the same, you can not always count on them to pay you for separation.

3)My husband chased drug trafficers, was shot at, boarded other vessels while being shot at et al, and was still not considered hostile pay. Dont know what deployments you were on, but not one deployment we have been through in our nearly 12 years of military life has been "hostile enough" for hostile pay. So agian, point being that you should not count on certain things being given just because you are on a depolyment.

4) for the bah issue, we were not living on base housing, we were living in a house we chose on our own and were paying out of pocket for it. We did not recieve BAH for nearly a year. We should have been getting BAH in order to pay rent to the house we had. We were not. My husband could not "deal with it" because his ship never stayed in port long enough for him to contact all of the people he needed to contact. Like I said, i was with him for only 64 days out of a year and they were not consecutive.

5)The navy advancement does not work like you stated. no you do not get paid right away, but my point was you can not count on them paying you right away and you do not get back paid, so people who are "banking" on the fact that they will be making more money should not expect it fast or soon.

So thanks for acting like you know everything. you obviously did not read my post. Since my point in most of it is that the military is difficult to deal with and you can not expect to be paid some things just because they are there, (as in the hosile and separation pay)

This week i am dealing with Navy Medical, who has some how lost my daughter's entire medical record. They are saying that we never turned it in. I know they were turned in, we turned all 4 records in at the same time to the same place. So how is it they have 3 out of 4?? I hand carried all those records across the ocean myself. But instead of owning up to losing the record and working with us to come up with a solution, they are basically saying they can do nothing. So now i am having them make a copy of the other 3 just in case they try to say the same about the others when we pcs.

The past 3 years has been pretty good financially since we have the money aspect straightend out. I am happy to say that this command has had less issues with getting paid, but the paperwork issue is always the same, slllooooowwwww.

My point as always stands, dont count on getting all your money at the time you are entitled to it or request it. You have to watch your own back with them and being the spouse left behind to deal with it is not always easy. And i know I we are not the only family to have issues, and we are not all a "wives club". I know and work with plenty of men who are the dependant.

And "proper communication" does not always work, especially when half the people you talk to either do not know what is going on or do not want to deal with it. You have no idea how many times i had to listen to them say "we can only deal with the service member", when i knew that to be a lie.

Either way, I am an old hat at dealing with all this crap, i know what i am entitled to and when, and i know how to play this game, but the info is not always readily available to spouses and they are not always accommidating to the spouse. We had a heck of a time with that command and installation, and i am glad to say they are not all like that.

1. As I stated before, BAS is for the servicemember. BAS is not for him to feed you and your children. While you might see it as that, that is not what it is intended for. If he is deployed on a ship, they take it away, because he is eating in the galley. If he is in homeport, he should keep it, since he lives off base.

2. FSA is paid after being gone for 30 days. If he is gone for 29, he doesn't get it. Whether or not it is a conspiracy that they only keep him gone for 29 days instead of over 30 so they don't have to pay is up to you.

3. Hostile fire pay is something that is determined by our government. You could get shot at, but if it hasn't been determined that the area is entitled to HFP/IDP, you won't get it. I just got back from Iraq, I got the pay. Deploying in the Pacific Ocean is not going to get you this pay. Link for your viewing: http://comptroller.defense.gov/fmr/07a/07a_10.pdf

4. If you were living off base, you should of been receiving BAH. It's a shame that it took them so long to fix it.

5. Please don't explain to me how the Navy advancement system works. I've only been playing this game for 11 years...One, you take a test. Two, you find out, usually about three months later. Three, if you "advanced", you get to get FROCKED to the next paygrade. Being frocked does not entitle you to the pay and allowances, only the responsibility and authority to wear the next higher paygrade. You are then paid, in increments determined by how far over the FMS you scored. If you were the farthest over the FMS, you get paid first. If you were last..you get paid last. For most, the waiting period is 6 months. If you advance off of the September exam, get frocked in Novemeber, the final date to get paid is 16 June..for March exam, the final pay date is 16 December.