Sign in to follow this  
hiiiiiiii

I dont have a business...........................

A business card is basically just a personal card with a marketing touch added to it(in my opinion). As long as they make money they dont care if the consumer has a business or not.

A business card is basically just a personal card with a marketing touch added to it(in my opinion). As long as they make money they dont care if the consumer has a business or not.

it depends on the biz card.. some do ask for biz info. then there is the professional cards for 'business people' employed by others.

Amex has been sending me pre-approved offers for their Business gold card, only problem is I don't have a business. Bank of America once offered me a buisness Visa card as well...I really do want my own business and it's going to be a near future goal.

Amex has been sending me pre-approved offers for their Business gold card, only problem is I don't have a business. Bank of America once offered me a buisness Visa card as well...I really do want my own business and it's going to be a near future goal.

FWIW (and to answer the actual question first asked) - they buy lists of names from various sources and the criteria is not necessarily 'business owner' - they may buy lists of people with fico over xxx who don't have an employer listed on a cra, they may buy subscriber list from a magazine that has a high % of biz owners then do a sweep mailing to everyone.

if you have a fairly common name, someone with the same name may own a biz and they cross ref'ed you with him/her.

The cards that tend to be for businesses only (per tos) may buy lists from the biz CRA. It's also possible that somehow you got on a biz cra - if you ever did any work that 'earned' you a 1099, you may be on a biz cra.

They also buy subscriber lists from magaiznes, websites, trade shows etc.

As a clue to where the CCC get their data: A former biz partner signed up for free online accts at registration-required-to-view-any-content sites or used it at conventions when he had to give a name to get freebies - he usually entered Bill Gates as his name, with our biz name and address (he didn't want harrassed with sales calls). A number of CCC, including Cap1, have sent preapprovals addressed to Bill Gates @ my company - they bought subscription lists. (It took many letters to EX to get BillG off my biz report as trusted employee... at least i think he's off. Bill as my trusted employee kept coming back every few months from somewhere and i haven't checked recently.) [[About the time i bought him out, all the trade shows started scanning badges so attendees couldn't lie about their name and address. :lol:]]

You keep separate on your personal biz card the expenses tied into your job. Makes for easier accounting at tax time if you or your employer doesn't keep track for you.

So you guys mean if you don't have a business, sole prop or anything you can legally get a business card. For example if I didn't use my corp card and got a business card instead for expenses for work (for rewards or what not)... i could do that?

So you guys mean if you don't have a business, sole prop or anything you can legally get a business card. For example if I didn't use my corp card and got a business card instead for expenses for work (for rewards or what not)... i could do that?

Ever sold anything on Ebay or Craigslist? You're in business! Your business name can even be your own name. Most of the business cards will use your personal reports for the approval (sole prop being the best example)...and that's it. Most (actaully, none that I'm familiar with) don't report to the CRAs unless you fudge up and charge off the acct. Pretty good deal, eh?

Last year Chase sent me an application for a Biz card that offered nice rewards and o% for a year on BTs and purchases. I did not state a business name on the app. They approved for 12K. I maxed it out with a BT then made large payments prior to making purchases to stay under limit. This year I paid it off and still use it for my personal expenses. I cashed in $150 so far in cash back awards. They gave me an automatic CLI to 14.4K a few months ago. This is my fourth Chase card and today they called saying I was approved for their professional card. So I applied over the phone. If approved, I will call CS to request closing of one of the sock drawed cards and combining the limits.

Hmmm... maybe in 2009 (which for me means October... LOL)... I really do have enough credit but if I decide to open my Jimmy John's sandwich shop; I will take it under advisement.