Sign in to follow this  
missty1029

Fidelity vs Vanguard

I have an 401k in Vanguard from my old employer. My current employer uses Fidelity.

Should I move my account out of Vanguard in favor of Fidelity??

I also want to start investing on my own in addition to the 401ks.

Thanks.

I have an 401k in Vanguard from my old employer. My current employer uses Fidelity.

Should I move my account out of Vanguard in favor of Fidelity??

I also want to start investing on my own in addition to the 401ks.

Thanks.

Your current employer? I thought you were in business for yourself? I've had an account with Fidelity since 1992. I like it a lot, it became a brokerage account in 1993 with a lots of little benefits and minimal (if any) fees. You can invest in their mutual funds (of which there's a large variety) with lower fees than if you were to purchase through a non-Fidelity account. Also I've recently been checking out FullView, where you can look at most or all your credit and deposit accounts on one screeen. Basically, a lot of different services and features and helpful CSRs without a lot of pressure to buy anything. They are also a pretty conservative organization, so they might not approve a customer to invest in certain types of securities that another brokerage firm would. I don't know anything specifically about the 401k so you'd need to check out the information on their website directly from them.

It's generally useful to roll over your old 401k's so they're easier to manage (instead of having one per old employer).

Now... Vanguard's pretty darn good, but Fidelity is good too. If you're anti-hassle, I'd roll it over.

In my own case, I rolled my old 401k into a personal IRA. And now any ex-401ks get rolled into there. So I always have two accounts, the IRA, and whatever my current 401k is (and no... I don't change jobs that often!)

I have a 401(k) with Fidelity and a Roth IRA with Vanguard. Personally, I like Vanguard's website better for monitoring investment performance (has nice charts). Investment options and fees are very similar between the two. Although, it is true if you want to keep track of your entire portfolio one website is convenient.

All of my investments are through TRowe Price. Vanguard is a great mutual fund company, imho they have the better funds, you might want to look at their target funds, Vanguard and Trowe Price have the best target funds.

Yea I like Vanguard funds too. Thanks for the advce all! I actually think I will have both of them and reevaluate again down the line.

My preferences, in order:

Vanguard

T. Rowe Price

Fidelity

I'd keep it at Vanguard -- they generally have the lowest side costs to their funds.

we have both vanguard and fidelity. both are really great. I like vanguard a little more simply because they do not spend as much money on advertising.